Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The players think Halladay is more deserving? How do you figure that?

coz he is obviosuly :cool: Ah I've been reading quotes all year where hitters are calling him the best pitcher in the game. This is day-in, day-out. I don't think Cliff Lee is as intimidating to a hitter but of course I haven't watched as much of him. If he hits the 20 wins and completes one or two more games it might be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

They are pretty much neck in neck on most stats (WHIP, ERA, IP per start). Halladay leads in Ks and may have faced tougher opponents. Lee has been a great story this year-he was sent to the minors last year-and he plays on an even suckier team than Halladay (:D) for $6m less than Doc.

I'd vote for Lee, Halladay has one already (not that it should matter).

I think Doc is a true great, but to think, he may never throw a pitch in the playoffs....

I think Doc is a true great, but to think, he may never throw a pitch in the playoffs....

Careful now....rebuilding for next year...great things coming! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

zuutroy wrote: »
    Careful now....rebuilding for next year...great things coming! :pac:

I think we have heard that before!!;)

It sure is going to be a close call. While either would be a worthy winner, my vote would go to Halladay but as i mentioned before i think the w/l record of Lee and the whole comeback story as mentioned by Redsoxfan above will sway the vote to Lee. Should be a close vote though.

On another note, after another complete game shutout last night from CC does anyone think he might be in the running for NL Cy?? I mean 9-0 in 11 starts with 6 complete games and 3 shutouts, thats some run!! It would be some achievement, having only played half a season in the NL but i'm sure he will get some vote

Well Lee did himself plenty of favours last night with a CG shutout of the mighty White Sox.

Re. CC, sure, why not? I read a story along those lines when he was 8-0 to the effect that if he 'ran the table' so to speak, he would have to be considered.

If not the CY Young, should he get some consideration for MVP?-but as this article on ESPN suggests, he has been far from the only reason the Brewers are contending. Although, given that Milwaukee are in the same position now (2nd to the Cubs) as when he joined, maybe not.

• Advertisement

Well Lee did himself plenty of favours last night with a CG shutout of the mighty White Sox.

Well, I think he has it wrapped up now. I still can't help thinking he's a Jon Garland/Esteban Loiaza type though.

Nice comeback from the Sox this evening on the back of a poor showing from Dicey-K. Another MVP-type performance from Pedroia. Now, if they can sweep Texas my hopes from earlier in the thread will have come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Pedroia is the form player in the league at the moment, his recent performances are outstanding. He is 21-for-34 (.618) in his last eight games.

Great comeback, a key triple by the new boy Kotsay, and what a bizarre play in the bottom of the 9th for Cora to get the winning run.

On a side note today's was the 455th consecutive regular-season game that the Red Sox have sold out in Fenway, which equals the Indians' MLB record.

Where was this Blue Jay team before the all-star break....

Blue Jays did the Red Sox another favour tonight after beating the Rays 6-4 in Toronto.

With the Sox looking strong against the Rangers, up 7-0 thru six innings, the gap should be down to 2.0 games. The Yankees also did us a favour taking two of three from the Rays this week. Great momentum behind the Red Sox bats at the moment.

• Advertisement

yup. Looking good for the Sox right now. TB on tap at Fenway next week. I'd be surprised if the Rays aren't getting edgy. Important that Lowell and Beckett returned with strong outings. Certainly shaping up to a very interesting last few weeks with the Jays and Yanks having a big say in the final winners of the AL East and the probably Wild Card.

Wow, Sox were done another huge favour last night. A walk off grand slam in the 13th from Gregg Zaun who was on on 0-21 coming into the game. Good to see him having something to smile about!

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809063428485&c_id=tor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Good man Purcey - 8 in a row! Too late maybe but still enjoyable.

Exactly...good to see they have it in them. When Rios, Wells, and Overbay are all swinging its great to see (lets forget about Rolen!). I remember when I first started watching I'd look forward the innings when Mondesi, Delgado, and Jose Cruz were due up as you always felt something was gonna happen. This whole season has been devoid of that until the past fortnight.

lol, just found the box score for the first game I ever went to, when I barely knew the rules...wonder why I got hooked given the scoreline!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR200106280.shtml

Good idea with first games.. This was my first introduction to the Sox.. Good come from behind win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200108042.shtml

My first trip to Roger Stadium (for the blue jay fans!)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR200109050.shtml

Waited for the rocket's game. Nice $7 (canadian) dollars top deck tickets!!

p.s Thanks to the Jays for making the Sox-Rays series one a must watch!! Not that it wasn't anyway but now hopefully the division lead will be ours by tuesday night!

Kinda32 wrote: »

I was there 2 weeks later for the first game after Sept. 11th. I used to get my upper deck tickets free with a 6 pack of Coke in the supermarket!

Also, there's talk on bluejays message boards of them going 7-0 vs. Red Sox in the remaining games and taking the wild card. Bit optimistic me thinks :D

While Jays have been outstanding this last month it is a big ask.. The Sox would only need to play .500 ball and the Jays would need to win 18 of 20 to pass them. A BIG ASK!!

However, if the Sox were to sweep the Rays, then who knows if they will collapse.. Not alot of experience on that team, although it is a bit of a stretch to say they won't make the playoffs.. (although the Mets did throw it away last year from a similar position)

As the Rockies showed last year, a team can go on a tear and steamroll into the playoffs so i guess anything is possible!

I was there 2 weeks later for the first game after Sept. 11th. I used to get my upper deck tickets free with a 6 pack of Coke in the supermarket!

Also, there's talk on bluejays message boards of them going 7-0 vs. Red Sox in the remaining games and taking the wild card. Bit optimistic me thinks :D

A bit?! :D I've heard of miracles but thats pushing it. Imagine they did? :eek:

Yeah, those 4 one run losses in the past 10 days are looming large now. I'm hoping the Rays get the brooms out, followed by Toronto and then the same again so the Sox go 0-13 over the next fortnight..What do you think?! lol.

Here's the probable matchups for the Jays games:

12th- Purcey vs. Wakefield
    13th- Burnett vs. Byrd
    13th- Litsch on short rest or Parrish vs. Lester
    14th- Halladay vs. Matsuzaka

19th- Litsch vs. Lester
    20th- Halladay vs. Matsuzaka
    21st- Marcum vs. Beckett

• Advertisement

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Good idea with first games.. This was my first introduction to the Sox.. Good come from behind win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200108042.shtml

My first trip to Roger Stadium (for the blue jay fans!)

I don't remember my first Blue Jays game at Exhibition Stadium :o; it would have been with my Dad and two brothers in '79 or '80. I don't remember my first game at Maple Leaf Gardens either :(:o And truth be told I don't remember my first game at Newry Showgrounds either. Three teams in Blue and white btw. There's a theme there. First game in the Skydome/Rogers Center was http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR199105110.shtml

I don't remember my first Ti-Cats game at Ivor Wynne either. I have a really bad memory. :eek: :)

Another strong showing from Lester and the Red Sox tip the Rays 3-0. Lester pitched 7 2/3 innings, allowing 4 hits, 3 walks and getting 9 K's. Papelbon got the last four outs to record his 36th save of the season.

RBI's from Ortiz and Youk as well as a solo shot from Jason Bay scored the runs. That's Bay's sixth gomer since he traded.

The Red Sox can take the lead in the AL East for the first time since 17 July if they win tonight. The home team has won every game between these two teams this season.

Gap is now down to half a game, and all the momentum is with Boston. :-)

Tonight it's Dice-K (16-2 2.88 ERA) versus Kazmir (11-6 2.99 ERA), and I think JD Drew is back from the DL.

10 in a row :eek:

10 in a row :eek:

And Doc pitching tonight :D - could be 11. Of course it's mathematically possible to qualify as Wild Card but not probable. But I tell you what - it's sure fun being a Jays fan at the moment. Watching Zaunie's slam the other night was incredible. And we're still rolling. :)

And still in 3rd place......keep dreaming. Let's see where things stand on Monday morning. It's time to end this nonsense once and for all :p.

Wonder if the Rays will get back on track following their dramatic win last night?

Another subpar start from Dice-K-in terms of IP anyway.

Nice line Mike Timlin!

Weds v. TB

0.2 IP 3H 3R 1BB 1SO 1HR

Jays just hanging on by a thread. really looking forward to this weekend series. With Burnett, Halladay and Litsch all going on short rest, if Purcey can have a good start tonight there maybe a glimmer of hope given how well the Jays have played the Sox. Its not much of a glimmer, but the biggest in my days as a fan!

Phew - end of the 2nd and I can't believe Purcey escaped with only 1 run. He needs to settle down and his hitters need to give him some support.

Finally got the s-video out sorted so now I'm watching the 1.2Mb stream on the TV while sitting on the sofa..looks good on the TV too!...

• Advertisement

Vernon, Travis and AJ - nice triple punch. :D And that's Byrd gone now too. :) Although MLB Gameday isn't putting up vid highlights of Snider's HR. :mad:

Advertisement