Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It was crazy last night for comebacks. The Rays just hit 6 in the 9th (without getting an out) to beat the Indians 10-7. An amazing finish. Cubs also came back from 4-1 down to beat the Astros 11-4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Very tough call for AL Cy Young. While honourable mentions go to Duchscherer, Lester, Mussina and K-Rod, Its very hard to see past Lee and Halladay. Halladay and his 7 complete games and 2.77 era or Lee and his 15-2 record with a 2.58 era. Both would be worthy winners, and will be a close call. Even though Wins shouldn't have too much weight in the argument, i think if Lee gets to 20 wins then he will get it.

What about the NL? Is it Brandon Webb again?? Or do Dan Haren or Volquez get a look in.

Volquez has taken a bit of a fall since the All Star game, but a great season so far. Surely Lincecum and Zambrano must figure in the NL CY Young as well?

In the AL, if it's anything like last year, GS/IP could be a determining factor....

Jeez the longer the Sox persist with Buchholz in the rotation, the worse their chances of making the playoffs. Staked to a 3 run lead after 1 inning on the road and he gives up 3HR in 2 innings and departs having given up 5 runs in 3 innings-surely Masterson (or Colon if he gets fit again soon) should take his place in the rotation til the end of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Speaking of comebacks, did you guys catch this game?!:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808133300503&c_id=tex

Good lord!

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Well thats the Jays done and dusted for another year :(. Had they won last night, had Rios' drive gone over the fence then it might have been still possible 6 games back of the Red Sox. But 8 games back? And they have the Yankees and White Sox ahead of them as well. Nah, won't happen, not with this team. Time for them to pick up some big bats, to go with the pitching, in the off season and go all out for the division next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah yes...building for next year...I've heard that before! It was a good game yesterday, but I don't know how Ryan couldnt come out for another inning. League may be hot, but I'd definitely have preferred Ryan out there in what was really the biggest game of the season.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ah yes...building for next year...I've heard that before! It was a good game yesterday, but I don't know how Ryan couldnt come out for another inning. League may be hot, but I'd definitely have preferred Ryan out there in what was really the biggest game of the season.

:D True - but sure if you support a Toronto sports team, next year is all you've got! ;) Well alright bar the 2 WS in the early 90's. But since then? And don't get me started on that other shower over at the ACC, once of the Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Yesterday's game was good alright, and thankfully a good result finally for the Sox against the Jays. Ye had ripped us apart in alot of games this season so taking 2 outta 3, have to be pleased with that. I had a bad feeling when Francona took out Paplebon, that it could be a momentum turner, but Delcarmen got it done. You wonder sometimes how he struggles so much esp when you see him rip the fastball by someone. Can't complain about him yesterday anyways, he got the job done.

And what of Lowrie, what are peoples thoughts on him? Ilike him, he seems to get big hits when needed (something Lugo rarely does). I guess it should be obvious that Lugo should not play again this year (ever??) as the main shortstop given how Lowrie has had such an impact, but Francona can be very loyal to players at times (Crisp, Bellhorn, Varitek etc) and usually proves a good call but i think he surely can't play Lugo ahead of Lowrie..

And as for the Blue Jays, its probably over for another year, but man if they could be consistent with scoring some runs, then they could make the AL East a 4 headed monster next year, cause you know the Sox and Yankees won't go away and those Rays are for real..

Yesterday's game was good alright, and thankfully a good result finally for the Sox against the Jays. Ye had ripped us apart in alot of games this season so taking 2 outta 3, have to be pleased with that. I had a bad feeling when Francona took out Paplebon, that it could be a momentum turner, but Delcarmen got it done. You wonder sometimes how he struggles so much esp when you see him rip the fastball by someone. Can't complain about him yesterday anyways, he got the job done.

And what of Lowrie, what are peoples thoughts on him? Ilike him, he seems to get big hits when needed (something Lugo rarely does). I guess it should be obvious that Lugo should not play again this year (ever??) as the main shortstop given how Lowrie has had such an impact, but Francona can be very loyal to players at times (Crisp, Bellhorn, Varitek etc) and usually proves a good call but i think he surely can't play Lugo ahead of Lowrie..

And as for the Blue Jays, its probably over for another year, but man if they could be consistent with scoring some runs, then they could make the AL East a 4 headed monster next year, cause you know the Sox and Yankees won't go away and those Rays are for real..

The Yankees will not be a force next year and the Rays are not for real. It's a one off. ;) The Sox of course will be up there again. As for the Jays - great prospects in the Minors, fantastic bullpen, good startering rotation but they need a mashing DH, a new 1B, possibly new 3b (depending on Rolen's health) and Wells and Rios need to get back to their best.

Lugo should definitely sit for the rest of the year (I said as much some time ago.....) but as you say, Francona can be too loyal and they may feel that they would destroy whatever trade value he has left by not playing him.....

I am far less bullish on the Sawx than I was a few months ago. They are just too inconsistent to inspire any confidence of a run in the playoffs (this year reminds me of 2005 all over again-champs but out in the first round, too many injuries....)

They could still miss out altogether, given that a large % of their remaing games are against the Rays, Jays and Yankees, but I feel they just might squeez in as Minnys relative inexperiance and lack of star power catches up with them.

I was confident that they could take the Angels based on recent playoff experience but they have basically shown nothing against them this year, which has to count for something?

Still, in a short series, if you can ride Beckett (scary enough news this week) and Lester (let's just say it was an aberration) for 7+ innings, use Masterson and Wake in the Bullpen, and then throw in the rest of the pitching staff in relief of Dicey-Ks 4.1 innings in Game 3, then you never know...

Would be happier to see them get hot and win, say, 10 of the next 12 against NYY, CWS, BAL and TEX (would seem doable?) before another heavy dose of TB and TOR in mid-September.

• Advertisement

Can the Jays afford to let Burnett walk and use the money on hitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I was at the drubbing on Saturday unfortunately, had to put up with some slagging from the locals, but as always there was a good crowd in from New England on holidays.

I was going to go again yesterday but some things came up and I was afraid of jinxing the Sox again (I was in Fenway in June and we got stuffed by the Mariners 8-0:(). Typical that it was a fine game, and some great plays, especially Bay's catch off Rios!
    Redsoxfan wrote:
    Would be happier to see them get hot and win, say, 10 of the next 12 against NYY, CWS, BAL and TEX (would seem doable?) before another heavy dose of TB and TOR in mid-September.

Much as I'd like to see this, I can't really see it happening on current form. Beckett isn't fully fit, Dice-K is getting the wins but still has control issues, and Wakefield is just back from the DL. It will be a very interesting series this week, if they can go 2/3 it will be fantastic. Paul Byrd needs to really step up and show his experience over the next few weeks. Tomorrow it's Wakefield v Pettite.

mod9maple wrote: »
    The Yankees will not be a force next year and the Rays are not for real. It's a one off. ;) The Sox of course will be up there again. As for the Jays - great prospects in the Minors, fantastic bullpen, good startering rotation but they need a mashing DH, a new 1B, possibly new 3b (depending on Rolen's health) and Wells and Rios need to get back to their best.

Rays a one off!!!! Not only do they have some of the best young players in the league (Longoria, Upton, Kazmir, Shields), they have a young squad and a fantastic minor league system full of first rounders and near major league youngsters..

You have to imagine that the Yankees will throw alot of money at CC Sabathia and any other big name free agent that is out there. So on that basis alone you can't count them out.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Would be happy to win the series to be honest and set us up nicely then for late sept.

At least 20 of our last 32 games are at Fenway (20 of 29 after thursday) and we are 43-18 there this season.. So hopefully that will help!!

Would be happy to win the series to be honest and set us up nicely then for late sept.

At least 20 of our last 32 games are at Fenway (20 of 29 after thursday) and we are 43-18 there this season.. So hopefully that will help!!

Indeed-have won all our games at Fenway against the Rays, but I would like to see some kind of away form coming into the playoffs especially when home field advantage doesn't look likely in any potential AL playoff series.

Can the Jays afford to let Burnett walk and use the money on hitting?

Yes

Rays a one off!!!!? Not only do they have some of the best young players in the league (Longoria, Upton, Kazmir, Shields), they have a young squad and a fantastic minor league system full of first rounders and near major league youngsters..

You have to imagine that the Yankees will throw alot of money at CC Sabathia and any other big name free agent that is out there. So on that basis alone you can't count them out.

We'll see.... ;)

Good start to the series in the Bronx tonight with Wakefield giving up eight hits and three runs through 5 innings. Pettite had a bit of a nightmare giving up ten hits and six runs through 4 2/3. All but one of the Red Sox starting rotation got a hit, and seven different players scored runs. Masterson had a good outing in relief, getting A-Rod into a double play with the bases loaded in the seventh.

To add to the news, the Jays beat the Rays 6-2 in Florida.:)

I went to bed after 3-it looked as if it was going to be one of those 12 inning 4 hour affairs.

Good to see A-Rod is still able to get it done in the clutch. If he gets one vote for MVP.....

I went to bed after 3-it looked as if it was going to be one of those 12 inning 4 hour affairs.

Good to see A-Rod is still able to get it done in the clutch. If he gets one vote for MVP.....

Yeah, I think he was 0-5 and struck out twice :D

Tonight it's Byrd (8-11) v Ponson (7-4), FP 7.05ET (12.05am Irish)

At least tomorrow's game is an afternoon so it's a bit more sociable for you guys at home.:)

In other news PNC Park in Pittsburgh will be the place where instant replay makes it's long-awaited debut this evening. MLB will be using the Cubs-Pirates game to demonstrate the technology, before it goes live for all 15 games on Friday.

It will only be used on disputed home run calls to see if the ball is fair/foul, cleared the outfield fence or if there is fan interference. I think it's a positive move, as there have been a few decisions that can swing a game. I just hope that it doesn't develop into a NFL-type situation where coaches can challenge plays and then it's a farce where umpires are using it to look at baserunning calls or sliding catches in the outfield. I think it's enough that it just looks at homers, as the game is long enough and has survived for the most part without this sort of technology.

It's also interesting to note that the crew chief makes the call on the review, as the coaches won't be able to challenge like they do in American Football.

More here.

• Advertisement

juvenal wrote: »
    I think it's enough that it just looks at homers, as the game is long enough and has survived for the most part without this sort of technology.

I think it would be much better used for plays at home plate, which are contested far more often than home runs, and are ruled wrongly far more often the homers too. eg Matt Stairs on Sunday, which ended the Jays' season :(

Another good win for the Red Sox tonight in NY. A seven-run inning in the eight killed the game, in which Jason Bay had four RBIs and Pedroia hit his first career grand slam.

It would be some result if we can sweep NY in their own back yard tomorrow afternoon.
    zuutroy wrote:
    I think it would be much better used for plays at home plate, which are contested far more often than home runs, and are ruled wrongly far more often the homers too. eg Matt Stairs on Sunday, which ended the Jays' season

That's a very fair point - I think the home run issue gets more attention in the media so therefore MLB aim the replay issue at that.

Regarding Stairs, it was a lucky call for the Sox and even to me the replays looked like he was safe. I think he hesitated at 3B waiting for a sign, and because the ball beat him to the plate (even though it was way high), the ump called him out, which unfortunately they usually do when the ball arrives first. Tough break, and sometimes it is those plays that can affect the outcome - but it might be stretching it a wee bit to say that that's the reason the Jays lost the game, despite the final score.

That was a series the Sox should have swept. Okajima shouldn't be allowed to pitch with runners on....

That was a series the Sox should have swept. Okajima shouldn't be allowed to pitch with runners on....

Seriously, talk about leaving Papelbon in a jam. I don't really blame Papelbon for the loss, as he was always going to be up against it coming in with the bases loaded. His first two pitches were great, I thought he was going to get past Giambi, but alas.

Lester had a good showing, started off so-so but got very strong; I thought Tito would leave him in a little longer. Still two from three is a pretty decent return. A-Rod had another poor game, I'm not a Yankees-hater at all, but what a w*nker.

Meh, Papelbon projects as a stud so what better time to step up?

Still, Masterson IBBing Matsui and then BBing Pudge and his lofty batting average didn't leave me feeling good about Giambi's AB.

Nonetheless, my hope for 10 of 12 stated above still holds!
    redsoxfan wrote:

Meh, Papelbon projects as a stud so what better time to step up?

Still, Masterson IBBing Matsui and then BBing Pudge and his lofty batting average didn't leave me feeling good about Giambi's AB.

Nonetheless, my hope for 10 of 12 stated above still holds!

This is true, the New Yorkers were loving it after the All-Star fiasco.:)

I thought Pudge was a definite K candidate, especially the way he's been batting lately, but he showed his experience v Masterson's inexperience by working his way through the at-bat.

I was hanging on to see the end before I went out, and once they were loaded I was up at the door with jacket on and remote in hand, as I knew that Giambi was probably going to drive one it, or at least sac-fly. Not much belief in my closer I know, but I'm more a realist when the odds are stacked against you.;)

Nice catch by Jacoby last night in the 1st. Good to see Dicey-K going 8. Who'd a thunk Carl Pavano would get the W over AJ?

Good to see the Jays leave NY, NY with a series win. :D I'm not suggesting he's a cert and I know I'm biased but I'd love to see Doc get the Cy Young. He's a hell of a pitcher.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Good to see the Jays leave NY, NY with a series win. :D I'm not suggesting he's a cert and I know I'm biased but I'd love to see Doc get the Cy Young. He's a hell of a pitcher.

W/L record has a huge effect on the Cy Young voting, so I'd say Lee will get it, though I think Halladay is more deserving too, and I'd say the players would agree.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    W/L record has a huge effect on the Cy Young voting, so I'd say Lee will get it, though I think Halladay is more deserving too, and I'd say the players would agree.

The players think Halladay is more deserving? How do you figure that?

Advertisement