Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Major Service Expansion Announced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

markpb wrote: »
    There's nothing stopping DB/NTA doing that today.

Sure, nothing really. But making those changes are the hard part, schedules, rosters, depot arrangements, etc. The changes to work practices around such a change, those are the "hard" part.

If you do that you might as well rename them too so that it is easier for people unfamiliar with those areas to use it to. Relatively speaking that is the very easy part. Just a minor change to bus stop signs and the screen on the bus, no big deal.

It wouldn't make sense to go through all those hard changes, just for the public not to realise they could also jump on a passing 1, as they normally take the 16. Why wouldn't you also simplify the network to make it easier to use at the same time. The KISS principle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The 1 isn't much use to the southern half of the 16.

The 16 is an unsolvable problem without bus priority or a continuous bus lane the whole way from Marlay park to the Airport. One of the rare routes where better frequency and capacity wouldn't improve it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why are people still not understanding the difference between wholesale privatization, as witnessed in the UK, with the shambolic 'bus wars'. And the system of tendering for operators that has been running VERY successfully on Dublin's luas system for almost 2 decades?

Why is the national origin of one of the tendering companies relevant? More relevant than Veolia's routes?

Because they don't want to understand it. They care more about their idealistic political views then doing what is actually best for the people who use the service everyday.

They don't want to recognise or admit that the real world is full of shades of grey or try and understand it, instead they want to drive their political ideology with fearmongering about simplistic "public" versus "private".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

sharper wrote: »
    It's a shame they didn't run the 66E through chapelizod bypass to compensate for the extra running time.

Terminus should be in Celbridge instead of Maynooth. Would alleviate the situation with the 67 somewhat, and would connect Celbridge and Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

bk wrote: »
    Because they don't want to understand it. They care more about their idealistic political views then doing what is actually best for the people who use the service everyday.

They don't want to recognise or admit that the real world is full of shades of grey or try and understand it, instead they want to drive their political ideology with fearmongering about simplistic "public" versus "private".

And even 'Irish v British' as if we weren't already living in a globalised world where company origin means next to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Are the new buses DB are getting going to be in the TFI livery or has that all been knocked on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

superg wrote: »
    Are the new buses DB are getting going to be in the TFI livery or has that all been knocked on the head?

There's around 14 Dublin Buses in the Harris/Isuzu place on the Nangor road, if that's where they repaint them, then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

dfx- wrote: »
    The 16 is an unsolvable problem without bus priority or a continuous bus lane the whole way from Marlay park to the Airport. One of the rare routes where better frequency and capacity wouldn't improve it.

Serious question: Why would a continuous bus lane NOT be an option? Surely thats what proper public transport should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Exactly, so since total privatization would not be there with the NTA, you were arguing with a point I never made slapstick.

Total privatization would mean the routes were set by the state and any operator could join say route 46a and compete on fares, drivers, bus quality, time, etc etc
    It would lead to cut throat competition because there would be no NTA setting those ^ standards, if there was it would not be private.

People are the same with other areas, they call Blackrock and Gonzaga private schools when they are no such thing, they are independent public schools (as all are) that get govt money they just don't participate in the free fees scheme. Some people see the world through political ideology only and just can't help themselves.

It's about how you want to see things not how they actually are. Calling this privatization if you are opposed to such as I describe early in this post, is very unwise from a PR pov, because people will look at it and say "yep, I like this, privatize the whole lot, hell privatize the DART line!" and they'll say that to focus groups and pollsters, then they, and you, will get something very unlike what you expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Qrt wrote: »
    There's around 14 Dublin Buses in the Harris/Isuzu place on the Nangor road, if that's where they repaint them, then maybe.

They belong to Go Ahead. They're temporarily being stored there while concrete is laid at the back of the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They used to be painted in a place in Tallaght. Not sure if they still are.

But I'm talking about the brand new ones on order, wondering what livery they'll be delivered in. The TFI one is growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

These are GAI vehicles which were moved temporarily to facilitate groundworks in GAI's Ballymount facility.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Serious question: Why would a continuous bus lane NOT be an option? Surely thats what proper public transport should do?

How much disruption would that bring to built up and residential areas it travels through in Rathfarnham, Harolds Cross and Terenure and the very tight turn onto the SCR in either direction and Camden St?

The northside of the 16 is child's play by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

superg wrote: »
    They used to be painted in a place in Tallaght. Not sure if they still are.

But I'm talking about the brand new ones on order, wondering what livery they'll be delivered in. The TFI one is growing on me.

The GAI buses were being repainted in Volvo/Irish Commercials out in Naas I believe. I think DB buses go there too for warranty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

n97 mini wrote: »
    sharper wrote: »
    It's a shame they didn't run the 66E through chapelizod bypass to compensate for the extra running time.

Terminus should be in Celbridge instead of Maynooth. Would alleviate the situation with the 67 somewhat, and would connect Celbridge and Leixlip.

I think there should be an orbital route connecting Leixlip-Maynooth-Celbridge in a loop. It makes sense considering the range of businesses around Backweston, Intel in Leixlip, and the University in Maynooth. That would leave the city centre routes free to go straight to town rather than getting stuck in the next town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Current routing makes it very difficult, Terenure particularly is a bottleneck that can't really be fixed.

BusConnects aims to switch the current 16 routing to go through Rathmines where it will have priority measures for pretty much its entirety. There's no reason that the 16 needs to go through Terenure > Harold's Cross > Leonard's Corner, alternative routes can be provided here on less pressurised buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Amirani wrote: »
    Current routing makes it very difficult, Terenure particularly is a bottleneck that can't really be fixed.

BusConnects aims to switch the current 16 routing to go through Rathmines where it will have priority measures for pretty much its entirety. There's no reason that the 16 needs to go through Terenure > Harold's Cross > Leonard's Corner, alternative routes can be provided here on less pressurised buses.

Speaking as one who lives in Harold's Cross, I disagree completely. The 16 is a much used local route. But as far as I know (from postings by several local residents' association) the plan is not to put the 16 through Rathmines, but to continue it through Harold's Cross - but madly, it wouldn't serve the airport any more on its northern end.

It's also planned to make it much less frequent - in fact the whole Bus Connects fludge seems to involve far less frequency - the spine that goes along the Lower Kimmage Road (with, they imagine, no cycling allowed on that road) is planned to be around every 25 minutes, far, far less frequent than current buses.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Speaking as one who lives in Harold's Cross, I disagree completely. The 16 is a much used local route. But as far as I know (from postings by several local residents' association) the plan is not to put the 16 through Rathmines, but to continue it through Harold's Cross - but madly, it wouldn't serve the airport any more on its northern end.

It's also planned to make it much less frequent - in fact the whole Bus Connects fludge seems to involve far less frequency - the spine that goes along the Lower Kimmage Road (with, they imagine, no cycling allowed on that road) is planned to be around every 25 minutes, far, far less frequent than current buses.

The F spine is meant to be every 8-10 minutes or so, I don't understand where you got 25 mins from.

The F spine is meant to be every 8-10 minutes or so, I don't understand where you got 25 mins from.

8-10 minutes at midday, 25 minutes at other times, I'm told.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've been told wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

8-10 minutes at midday, 25 minutes at other times, I'm told.

It's 8 minutes all day long, from 6 in the morning to 11 at night. At peak times, this increases to 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The GAI buses were being repainted in Volvo/Irish Commercials out in Naas I believe. I think DB buses go there too for warranty work.

Both Harris Commercials on the Naas road and Freeneys in Tallaght have been repainting the GA buses.

Freeneys also do all the DB and BE painting.

GM228 wrote: »
    Both Harris Commercials on the Naas road and Freeneys in Tallaght have been repainting the GA buses.

Freeneys also do all the DB and BE painting.

I've always wondered why I used to see DB buses in Whitestown!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How long would it take to get from Bray to IKEA on that bus do you think? Probably faster to cycle it just like the 145 right now.

Thargor wrote: »
    How long would it take to get from Bray to IKEA on that bus do you think? Probably faster to cycle it just like the 145 right now.

If it's the 140 you're talking about, a fair while; isn't its southern terminus in Rathmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

If it's the 140 you're talking about, a fair while; isn't its southern terminus in Rathmines?

I think he is referring to the new proposed route 45.

Ah, in that case you will be transported at the speed of light as if you'd said "Beam me up, Scotty".

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the new proposed route 45.
    it'll be route 155 :-)

ITV2 wrote: »
    it'll be route 155 :-)

has this been clarified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Details of changes to 66, 66a, 66b,66x,66e,26,11,54a changes are now up.

66x change is just some timetable adjustments, no extra departures.

Advertisement