Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

' I don't do Valentines'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We don't celebrate it. Don't see the point. My lovely husband drove through storm Ciara the other night to deliver me something I'd forgotten to bring to work that he knew I'd miss. I know he loves me. Don't need a hallmark day to remind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'll be getting her a card, flowers, chocolates, and a gift. She always gets me something too. I think most people in relationships who get nothing whatsoever for Valentine's day end up secretly disappointed. "I don't do Valentine's day" is often a cover for being cheap or not giving a toss.

I don't agree with that at all. My position has always been that if the girl is on board with valentine's then I'll put the effort in. My partner has no interest in it and doesn't expect a thing, we joke about it every time it comes around.

We do plenty for each other outside of being told to by Hallmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's a load of bollix.

Just another Hallmark holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

We’re going to a spa for a couple of days, something we both enjoy and have been meaning to do for a while. Can’t effing wait. Just a coincidence that it’s Valentine’s Day though, if we weren’t going I’d cook something nice for us because it’s my part time day. Don’t see the point in being so cynical.

He’s a real romantic so I think he might be a little bit sad if I didn’t do anything at all to mark it, but it wouldn’t have to be a massive expense. We’re definitely more into experiences than gifts these days. Hard to make time for ourselves with work and our little one but we’ve finally found a babysitter and she’s ok with her grandmother for an overnight every now and then so we always try to have something to look forward to on the calendar.

I have to admit that for me, Valentines day never was a "Hallmark" holiday until I saw posters here go on about it.

I always see it as a special day to be 'extra' romantic. Not to spend money but to do something extra.

My parents always celebrate it, doing little things for each other. Doesn't mean that they don't do those things during the rest of the year, but there's more awareness and appreciation for it on the day.

TBH, I find it sad to see all the negativity on the thread about it. It's a shame that people need to dismiss it, and not desire to be that little bit more romantic than they usually are (if they ever bother try at all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Even I, lazy, miserable hoor that I am, can stump for some flowers from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I bought my husband some flowers today. He genuinely liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I love Valentine's. Nothing is more lovely than arriving home with 2 dozen roses, the finest of Butler's chocolates, a card the size of an A3 page, then whisking my lovely lady off to one of the finest hotels in Ireland.....a little drink afterwards, then home for a night of the finest loving in a bed with love heart shaped confetti all around it when we returned. Who says romance is dead.............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have to admit that for me, Valentines day never was a "Hallmark" holiday until I saw posters here go on about it.

I always see it as a special day to be 'extra' romantic. Not to spend money but to do something extra.

My parents always celebrate it, doing little things for each other. Doesn't mean that they don't do those things during the rest of the year, but there's more awareness and appreciation for it on the day.

TBH, I find it sad to see all the negativity on the thread about it. It's a shame that people need to dismiss it, and not desire to be that little bit more romantic than they usually are (if they ever bother try at all)

I'm not particularly romantic, I make no apologies for that. I'm in a very happy marriage with a person I love. That's enough for me.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm not particularly romantic, I make no apologies for that. I'm in a very happy marriage with a person I love. That's enough for me.

haha... i wasn't seeking apologies from anyone. My life is far from perfect, and I'd hardly consider it suitable for most people I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

We usually get cards and a small present for each other. A book or some nice cakes or something like that. Its nice to mark the occasion.

Going out for dinner tomorrow which i haven't done in years but it's a fairly small place so can't imagine it will be too crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I picked up card I know my wife will find funny. Will cook a nice dinner once the kids are in bed and that'll be us.

IMG-20200209-160953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Ah yes, heard of that the other day.

It's for single women who act all feisty and "I don't need no man because I'm a strong independent woman" but who are actually freaked to bits about it and need to come up with something on 14th February to make themselves feel better.

I don't think that's the gist of it at all, AFAIK it was dreamt up on Parks & Recreation where all the girls met up on the 13th of February for lunch to celebrate their friendship.
    Basically a bit like a women's little christmas!

We don't overly celebrate Valentines in that the absolute last thing we would want to do would be to go out for dinner on the night which is a nightmare but we tend to get each other cards and some years will get each other small presents.

The only people that I can tell that give a monkeys about Valentines are:-

- love sick teenagers
    - retailers hoping to sell us more tat
    - single women

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

when all is said and done
    what counts is having someone
    you can phone at five to ask
    for the immersion heater
    to be switched to ‘bath’
    and the pizza taken from the deepdreeze

Dennis O’Driscoll

The only people that I can tell that give a monkeys about Valentines are:-

- love sick teenagers
    - retailers hoping to sell us more tat
    - single women

- Unmarried males in their 40s who are still active with dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Married for years got a bunch of roses champagne and two little bars of choclate fifties and sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If both people don't bother, fair enough but one person making a moral stand about buying a little gift or a card is a bit cringe.

I usually get herself a card and small gift from the kids for it and vice versa as they like the whole surprise thing.

Just picturing anybody saying hallmark doing a showy inverted commas hands gesture and looking like Rik from the Young Ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If both people don't bother, fair enough but one person making a moral stand about buying a little gift or a card is a bit cringe.

I usually get herself a card and small gift from the kids for it and vice versa as they like the whole surprise thing.

Gift doesn’t have to be bought. Part of my gift will be to have the house cleaned top to bottom when she gets in so she doesn’t have to do any cleaning this weekend. We normally split the households jobs and she usually ends up doing more cleaning. So part of my gift to her will be a clean house and a weekend off cleaning.

• Advertisement

Gift doesn’t have to be bought. Part of my gift will be to have the house cleaned top to bottom when she gets in so she doesn’t have to do any cleaning this weekend. We normally split the households jobs and she usually ends up doing more cleaning. So part of my gift to her will be a clean house and a weekend off cleaning.

I'm just so hallmark, I know. I do try in my own muddled way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

502829.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

deise08 wrote: »
    So I've just been told this by the lad I'm seeing, turns out the last lad I was seeing a few years ago also 'didn't do Valentine's' either.
    I've never had a Valentine's, so just wondering how common is this?

I work in retail and know that all our stuff is sold by the time the day comes around, so someone does it :-D

So do ye fine people of AH do Valentines or do I just get bogeys?

My wife and I have never celebrated it. Why use one day to show how much you love each other when you can use 364 (365 this year) other days.

We're constantly picking up little surprises for each other. Way better than one flipping day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Lads,seriously,is there no romance left anymore?

Chocolate and a surprise will melt any womans heart this fine day!

Kinder egg = 1 Euro ,in a supermaket near you. Thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So I've just been told this by the lad I'm seeing, turns out the last lad I was seeing a few years ago also 'didn't do Valentine's' either.
    I've never had a Valentine's, so just wondering how common is this?

I work in retail and know that all our stuff is sold by the time the day comes around, so someone does it :-D

So do ye fine people of AH do Valentines or do I just get bogeys?

neither myself and my wife engage in it

It's for gullible idiots and self indulgent women

A Taxi man once told me he calls it st Vaselines day as it’s the only day of the year the wife takes it in the swiss !!

Thanks for that! :confused:

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Lads,seriously,is there no romance left anymore?

Chocolate and a surprise will melt any womans heart this fine day!

Kinder egg = 1 Euro ,in a supermaket near you. Thank me later.

Think of the environment. Kinder eggs are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Think of the environment. Kinder eggs are a disgrace.

Cream egg and you can use the tin foil wrap as an electric fuse if you’re stuck.no waste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Is it too early to start on the wine :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Is it too early to start on the wine :D

Never too early for wine,by all means uncork that bad boy and have at it,heh.

Advertisement