Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

' I don't do Valentines'

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wine ot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Buckled and gave in to the rampant consumerism...

Five euro mug... She's delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Men typically dont care for it, sorry :) because it's seen as men making the effort and women getting the spoils.

You could causually remind him of steak-and-blowjob-day with a wink and a hint and see if that's gets him to put in the effort.
    And you could give her a facial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

We haven't done Valentine's Day for years but Monday I got home to a lovely bouquet of roses and today when I got home there was a beautiful card. Nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Aw, see i knew there was someone out there that did it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I don't know why some people are against Valentine's Day, it's a celebration of love and those you love. It shouldn't have strings attached to it and forget the whole commercial side of it.My two cents,let the bashing begin,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

an odd choice is St Valentine as he was martyred... Ask wiki!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Its nice to celebrate everything. You get one go at this life, don’t waste it being too cool to enjoy the little things.

...Unfortunately my wife started a massive row last night so that was that..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its nice to celebrate everything. You get one go at this life, don’t waste it being too cool to enjoy the little things.

...Unfortunately my wife started a massive row last night so that was that..

Sorry to hear that. Bit of a bummer if you were gearing up for a romantic evening. Hopefully she comes to her senses. The spirit of St valentine and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not hard to make an extra special effort on the day to show some appreciation. Go out for a nice meal, get your partner a small box of chocolates, whatever. It's really the thought that counts, "I don't do valentines" is a bit lazy to be honest.

• Advertisement

So he meant it when he said he 'doesn't do it.'
    Not even a happy Valentine's text.
    I thought, being our first together, it would be nice to actually do something, but no, nothing.
    Now, I wasn't expecting a dozen roses, or a big night out or anything. Having never had one before, even a card would've been nice.
    Just to mark it.
    I was all ready for it until he said it.
    Oh well, his loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

deise08 wrote: »
    So he meant it when he said he 'doesn't do it.'
    Not even a happy Valentine's text.
    I thought, being our first together, it would be nice to actually do something, but no, nothing.
    Now, I wasn't expecting a dozen roses, or a big night out or anything. Having never had one before, even a card would've been nice.
    Just to mark it.
    I was all ready for it until he said it.
    Oh well, his loss.
    So he was honest and upfront but his loss?

So he was honest and upfront but his loss?

He only told me the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

He only told me the day before.

But he told you before, not on the day.
    Did you tell him it mattered to you?
    Did you do something for him?
    But mostly did you tell him it mattered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Time to move on : Do you do Pancake Tuesday? Paddy's Day? The pubs are open on Good Friday which is 1 less cause for fake outrage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Time to move on : Do you do Pancake Tuesday? Paddy's Day? The pubs are open on Good Friday which is 1 less cause for fake outrage.....

I'm outraged that the pubs are open on Good Friday. It takes the good out of it when it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Homelander wrote: »
    It's not hard to make an extra special effort on the day to show some appreciation. Go out for a nice meal, get your partner a small box of chocolates, whatever. It's really the thought that counts, "I don't do valentines" is a bit lazy to be honest.

This. I could leave it but I know my gf likes it so it's flowers, card and chocolates. Ten minutes in Tesco solves it. Also went to her favourite restaurant on Thursday. I enjoyed the meal as well so hardly a big sacrifice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I made the mistake of taking the line "i don't want anything" literally. I was driving into town for a meal with her and she pulls out a card and a small box of chocolates and I felt like crashing the car. Went for food and she is cross with me because i didn't get her anything. I better take note for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So I've just been told this by the lad I'm seeing, turns out the last lad I was seeing a few years ago also 'didn't do Valentine's' either.
    I've never had a Valentine's, so just wondering how common is this?

I work in retail and know that all our stuff is sold by the time the day comes around, so someone does it :-D

So do ye fine people of AH do Valentines or do I just get bogeys?

Pretty common.

Don't do it myself after a period of doing it. But it's rip off day for gobshites. The Mrs. agrees. She's even more opposed than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I do it.
    And I FACKIN LOVE IT!!!!

Nothing beats a trip to tesco, standing awkwardly with my fellow mankind, looking at flowers with not one simple Sally clue what I'm looking at. Succumbing to the only real differential, the price. Nothing too cheap nothing too expensive. Because fcuk that. Mid range. Can't set the standard too high. Never a good thing.

On next to the oul card utopian paradise, pink and glitter everywhere. Jesus.
    My fellow mankind stands next to me. ("hey, I recognise you from earlier. Went with the cheapest flowers option I see. Someone's not getting the royid tonight.. Hehe.. Cnut")

Pick a card, any card. "my wonderful husband".. I'm close but not quite the section I'm looking for.. Wife, we're getting closer. She's not me wifey yet. Feel silly getting a girlfriend card after all these years.. "to a wonderful partner" that'll do it!
    Boom picked! Three quid for a fcukin card. Daylight robbery. Oops better pick up an envelope. Let's get a massive one instead of the correct size. Because Fcuk you hallmark.

Over to the chocolates section. Now I want something that I'm going to like because I'm tearing into a few of em at some stage. One layer? Balls to that. 2 layers. Awesome. Jobs done. wait, a tenner?! Ah here. Let's walk down the aisle a bit. Surely there's an offer on somewhere. 3pack a jaffa cakes... Could I get away with it...? Probably not.
    Back to overpriced chocolates it is.

And over to checkout. Big smile from yer wan behind the till.
    "Someone's in for a treat tonight!" she exclaims. And not for the first time that hour no doubt.

"Ara yeah fcuk it, figured I might as well treat myself given the day that's in it" says I.

Boom. She doesn't know how to respond. That'll teach her.

Total time. 8mins 42seconds.

See you again next year valentines day.
    You saucey saucey mare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement