Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Ali was probably stronger. I think people have kind of gotten used to a lack of wind because we've hardly had any this winter. Doris, Ophelia, Emma, Frank and Georgina felt louder but I don't know if they were all stronger. Also, Storm Rachel from a few years ago felt louder. That was the storm that had a red warning in the West I think.

Correct about Storm Rachel - I remember being jealous of students in the west getting off of school as a result.

Georgina sounded louder but it was mainly down to the combination of wind and the passage of a squall line during the early hours of 24 January 2018. It woke me up around 3 and I was frustrated because of that especially considering it was a school night.

I said I prefer using stats over people's recollections but with Ali, I kind of reconsidered that as they do not show Ali as a particular amazing storm and needed to be there to see what it was like.

What I remember from Storm Frank was generally the heavy rains that occurred particularly down in Cork although still do remember some fair gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Possibly this wind event was a little north of due westerly which exposed different areas around Dublin to the strong gusts than is often the case, things should gradually calm down to a more tolerable level now.

Ah that makes sense for my position. It felt much worse than other supposedly stronger storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dublin airport 08/02/19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Anyone else concerned about the system that is developing around the azores-iceland belt at the moment. Serious potential for strong gales and massive dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anyone else concerned about the system that is developing around the azores-iceland belt at the moment. Serious potential for strong gales and massive dumps.

mind sharing some charts of it? Can't look atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Here too. was all white with hail for an hour there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

pauldry wrote: »
    Here too. was all white with hail for an hour there

I don't think Big Nasty was talking about snow.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

m17 wrote: »
    Dublin airport 08/02/19

The Aer Lingus flight from around 3.10 was the flight I was on, hope to never experience that again! Though it was a good adrenaline rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The Aer Lingus flight from around 3.10 was the flight I was on, hope to never experience that again! Though it was a good adrenaline rush...

I'd love to experience that since I enjoy turbulence. I was on a flight to London a few years ago and there was a thunderstorm in Heathrow at the time we were landing and it was a fun experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »

Before I came to Ireland I lived on a very remote North Sea island with far worse weather than here. Hated living on the mainland and as soon as I could, came offshore .
    Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Syran, a great list there (as usual) of the recent gust speeds from recently named storms.

Is it possible, if you have time, to get a list of the average high gust speed from your dataset for each of the stations you mention? I could input all the data manually from your graph into a spreadsheet to find this out for myself, but it would take an age. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

One thing that was a bit different was the long duration of strong winds, just about 24 hours at Mace Head with gusts of at least 50 knots.

This was not the strongest wind gust of the winter, however, 67 knots on 25th January was 2 knots higher than Friday's 65 knots. If this holds to end of February, I am pretty certain this is the lowest maximum gust speed since starting the winter forecast contest in 2011. (61 was the max in December).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Agree MT. The high winds were noticeable for nigh on24 hours which is not typical, plus the strongest winds seemed to occur overnight which was unexpected. It was an unusual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

One thing that was a bit different was the long duration of strong winds, just about 24 hours at Mace Head with gusts of at least 50 knots.

It reminds me of the storm way back in 1990.

It was also notable for the long duration of the winds. I recall it was quite stormy for several hours, then there was a lull, before winds intensified again for a few more hours.

This was not the strongest wind gust of the winter, however, 67 knots on 25th January was 2 knots higher than Friday's 65 knots. If this holds to end of February, I am pretty certain this is the lowest maximum gust speed since starting the winter forecast contest in 2011. (61 was the max in December).

Mace Head had a gust of 79 knots during Storm Ali. Wonder how often the strongest gust of the season has taken place in early Autumn?

The trend in high wind speeds has been falling for a while now, so this comes as no surprise. What would have been once considered ordinary, run of the mill winter wind events have now become the new 'storms', that puts both the media and the public into a pearl clutching fret.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Storm Erik has been added to my table of storm comparison now. I have also added Eleanor, Rachel and Erich (a placeholder name for that storm on Wikipedia so I thought I'd use it) - some of the worst storms this decade.

Each cell is coloured by their warranted warning.

These are all maximum wind gusts (kph), highest 10-minute mean wind speeds will be added to its respective table next month when the data is available.

SGCAu2J.png

Can't believe Cork airports strongest gust was during storm Rachel. Darwin and Ophelia were monsters down here. Not sure I even remember Rachel? There was one storm where Kent railway station lost its roof but thought that was Darwin, maybe it was Rachel?

Can't believe Cork airports strongest gust was during storm Rachel. Darwin and Ophelia were monsters down here. Not sure I even remember Rachel? There was one storm where Kent railway station lost its roof but thought that was Darwin, maybe it was Rachel?

Keep in mind, there is always the possibility of an error in the historical database (as there has been with some things I've noticed and tried to contact Met Éireann about). Looks like this one was an error (so I edited the table in the post) - see below.

According to the January 2015 monthly weather bulletin, 106 km/h was the max gust at Cork Airport.

Thanks for mentioning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The trend in high wind speeds has been falling for a while now, so this comes as no surprise. What would have been once considered ordinary, run of the mill winter wind events have now become the new 'storms', that puts both the media and the public into a pearl clutching fret.

And its becoming increasingly irritating the trend in the media to ascribe every bit of "bad weather" to "climate change":rolleyes:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Mace Head had a gust of 79 knots during Storm Ali. Wonder how often the strongest gust of the season has taken place in early Autumn?

Well 1961 would qualify unless you're taking astronomical seasons. In the UK the 1987 storm was fairly early in the autumn season. So there have been some big examples but not many in total.

• Advertisement

Here's an interesting factoid too, of all those stations, the only one never to break through the yellow ceiling is Mullingar. The location which has the most higher than yellow (in ten attempts) is a tie (seven) between Mace Head and Sherkin Island, with Mace Head leading the reds with four. I'm not surprised by any of those factoids but there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself."

Not " near the sea"; out surrounded by it is the appeal.

Not sure what a sting jet is?

And it is not calm here many days now and that is fine. Am well used to it after a decade in the far North Sea. Our dwellings are sturdy.

Erik was the worst I personally have seen. Will ask my neighbour the ferryman as he was born here and has worked these waters 60 years

Son of erik is this today? or an echo?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Son of erik is this today? or an echo?

Eriksson.

Should be making his presence known soon....

"Eriksson.

Should be making his presence known soon...."

Already shaking the dwelling! Ah well!

Well 1961 would qualify unless you're taking astronomical seasons. In the UK the 1987 storm was fairly early in the autumn season. So there have been some big examples but not many in total.

Yeah I thought 1961 would be there with Debbie although not 100% sure as January or February (pretty sure it was February) 1962 had a pretty strong storm too.

A quick look at Malin Head's max. gusts for every July to June period back to 1955 shows that the strongest wind gust of the season at the station has been recorded in September 2 times {1961, 1969}, October 5 times {1959, 1970, 1976, 1991, 2000} and November 7 times {1963, 1965, 1974, 1986, 1996, 2005, 2009}.

It's also interesting to point out that the station has had 7 of its weakest maximum wind gusts in the past 19 years (since 1955) for the fixed period named. The strongest being Debbie of 16th September 1961 with 98 knots and the weakest being 63 knots in 1968-69, 2009-10 and 2016-17. Even the "stormiest Winter on record" 2013-14 did not have a particularly high maximum wind gust at Malin Head.

I inputted the data into this graph and using a 10-year running average, there is a clear downwards trend in terms of maximum wind gusts for Malin Head. I think I remember Donegal Storm also mentioning that storms seem to have taken a more southwards track in modern times - which would be in line with this data and in my storm table comparison, Malin Head did not receive one warranted red warning even though it's regarded as the windiest synoptic station in the country on average due to how far north it lies.

18NhzPM.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

According to Wikipedia that happened on 18 December 2013. Assuming Wiki has the correct date, I don`t know what storm was hitting the country then.

"Fair enough Grace7. I guess some people just like being close to the sea. It is in their blood.

However, we are living through a very benign climate period, so don't be fooled by the relative calmness of that off-shore island. You are in classic sting-jet territory there, and sooner or later, you'll find this out yourself."
    Oneiric

Reminded of the winter storms on the North Sea island, They tended to last 3 days and there were times as I had a smallholding when I went to feed my stock hanging on the washing posts. Recorded winds of 124 Mph.. A chicken house literally taking off, great boulders flying across fields. You felt as if the skin was literally being flayed off your face. We knew how to stay safe as we do here. Were I seeking calm, I would not be out here. Left that island for work reasons and now that is over, I have come "home" again. great here to have such excellent and detailled forecasting; thank you boardsies . You are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

.. Reminded of the winter storms on the North Sea island, They tended to last 3 days and there were times as I had a smallholding when I went to feed my stock hanging on the washing posts. Recorded winds of 124 Mph.. A chicken house literally taking off, great boulders flying across fields. You felt as if the skin was literally being flayed off your face. We knew how to stay safe as we do here. Were I seeking calm, I would not be out here. Left that island for work reasons and now that is over, I have come "home" again. great here to have such excellent and detailled forecasting; thank you boardsies . You are great!

Was that the same North sea island you described here? It sounded like a strange wild place tbh ....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108371421&postcount=5280

I had a look back and that report is accurate, the Kent railway station roof was damaged in the storm on 18 Dec 2013.

If you go back to that month in the weather forum, there was no dedicated thread for the storm, but it took up a fair amount of the discussion in a more general thread on Atlantic storms in Dec 2013. (the later named Erich on 27th-28th had its own thread, without mention of the name Erich in the thread title at least, didn't read the thread). This un-named storm on the 18th prompted a code red for parts of Connacht. There is a mention of the roof damage on page 44 of the thread with a tweet copied from the Irish Rail website.

The daily data portion of the met.ie website do not go back far enough for me to check, maybe sryanbruen or someone else can have a look and see what sort of peak gusts this event on the 18th Dec produced. If memory serves, there were also big storms in January 2014 that are not in the list of wind gusts yet, wasn't there one around the first week that did damage to coastal areas in west Munster? And here's a question, how did Erich come before Darwin in the same winter?

• Advertisement

I have a list of the daily data from Met Eireann for that day here in a messy spreadsheet form but some select data: (highest gust speeds)

Belmullet 70kt
    Ballyhaise 50kt
    Casement 55kt
    Cork Apt 60kt

New Moon

Advertisement