Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2018

• 30-12-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

For anyone who's interested next years cycle takes place on July 7th, it's doesn't seem to be as popular as in previous years, last years didn't sell out for many reasons, now there's a long discussion in itself. The demand has definitely dropped from say 3 or 4 years ago. Registration opens on March 10th.
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've committed to it this year, never done one before.
    Is it do-able on a hybrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

razorblunt wrote: »

Yes.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yes.

Outstanding! Get my derriere back in one piece!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

There’s a little group who do it on old high nellies .....

TGD wrote: »
    There’s a little group who do it on old high nellies .....

I saw that as I was reading through the 2017 thread. Mad men, towels stuffed under the saddle and everything.

The rest of the lads I'll be with will probably have road bikes, but that shouldn't make a huge difference as they won't be racing around either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

All sorts of shapes and sizes do this cycle, some looking to improve their times and others simply out for a fun day on the bike.
    Last year I chatted to a local who had a track pump strapped to his crossbar a bag of tubes hanging from his handlebars and a bottle of miwadi jammed into the bottle cage. Apparently he had a miserable time the previous year with punctures so wasn't taking any chances....
    It's a great cycle and a good buzz no matter what your goal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yup. I passed a lad on Coomakista on an old hybrid. Wearing jeans and leather dress shoes. He must have been raw by the end of it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Registration opens tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Registration Whinging opens tomorrow.
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Me too. There are problem with the site but they are working on it.

May aswell get it out of the way €100!! It'll never sell out. :D

Me too. There are problem with the site but they are working on it.

looks like they have the site sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I keep thinking about doing it until I see the price !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Is there cap on maximum numbers taking part?

Yes and previously it would have been over subscribed but the last few years as entry cost increased it hasn't sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Think that its about 12000. They got about 9000 last year. It won't sell out at €103.50 but at least its one straight price. Hopefully the cute kerry hoore shenanigans of lotteries and two tier pricing are a thing of the past.

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the double posts above (damn phone being anything but smart!! ;) )

I've done it several times before. I'm hoping to do it with two buddies who were initially up for it until they heard the entry fee. If there's no cap on numbers then thats a plus. Although I did it in 2015 and it was bordering on dangerous due sheer numbers, mixed abilities, and the odd looney thrown in for good measure !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Too expensive for a lot of people if you add in hotel/B&B and travel etc
    I asked a few friends last year and they said No
    Big events like Ring of Clare, Tour de Burren, Tour de Conamara are all €40 and lots of smaller events with good routes are just €25
    Are the kerrymen just milking it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Limited to 10,000.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/faqs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

What type of cycling shorts wpuld ye guys recommend? Gel or padded? Anx wear could i get a cheap yet good sunglasses? They seem to be 50euro + i places I've seen so far ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What type of cycling shorts wpuld ye guys recommend? Gel or padded? Anx wear could i get a cheap yet good sunglasses? They seem to be 50euro + i places I've seen so far ðŸ˜
    Galibier.cc for shorts. Aldi/ Lidl are generally where I get my glasses. No worries about losing them when they're €3-5!

Pick up your glasses on Aliexpress they take about 30 days to get here on the slow boat but you'll find every variation of glasses including knock offs for buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

EDIT - I see the price up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pick up your glasses on Aliexpress they take about 30 days to get here on the slow boat but you'll find every variation of glasses including knock offs for buttons.
    They're my posh ones!

What type of cycling shorts wpuld ye guys recommend? Gel or padded? Anx wear could i get a cheap yet good sunglasses? They seem to be 50euro + i places I've seen so far /QUOTE]

Amazon are good for decent sunglasses that will do the job for around the 20 e mark. Your LBS will have a good enough range of shorts that will serve your purpose. anything around the 80-90 euros would be fine. Make sure you have a few outings before the day to break them in properly. Chamois cream is optional, some use it, some dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Any wonder numbers have been dropping......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

and a €3.50 handling fee!!!.

mamax wrote: »
    Too expensive for a lot of people if you add in hotel/B&B and travel etc
    I asked a few friends last year and they said No
    Big events like Ring of Clare, Tour de Burren, Tour de Conamara are all €40 and lots of smaller events with good routes are just €25
    Are the kerrymen just milking it ?

Is there a website listing all the available cycles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think someone started a thread here a few months ago listing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Is there a website listing all the available cycles?

http://irishsportives.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

i think someone started a thread here a few months ago listing them.

Here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057841840

It was long list of everything on the cyclingireland calendar
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/leisure-sportive-events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Is accomdation hard to get in Killarney for that weekend?

• Advertisement

Amprodude wrote: »
    Is accomdation hard to get in Killarney for that weekend?

Can be, apart from the RoK its the height of the tourist season. The laws of supply and demand means it's also quite pricey. Air b and b might be a good option.

How will you lads from Dublin get your bikes down?, train?

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    How will you lads from Dublin get your bikes down?, train?
    Cycle down of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ORBY73

Ring of Kerry regustration going spare. DM for info

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

I travelled to Kerry last weekend to do the Ring of Beara, and did the Ring of Kerry route the day after, just to see what it was like. Good road surfaces for the most part. Initially the scenery was a little uninspiring leaving Killarney, but this gradually improved as the day went on to the point where I was regularly hopping off the bike to grab a photo or two. No really killer hills, just some long(ish), steady climbs (I appreciate they will still be tough for people who don't regularly cycle). I also took a little detour via the ferry to Valentia Island and did a bit of the Skellig Ring after Portmagee - not realising that the sharp climb up Coomanaspic Pass lay ahead - that'll teach me!

To sum it up, its a decent route with some great views, especially in the latter stages, but I still don't know if I'd want to be paying EUR100 for the privilege of doing it when there are thousands of others on the road with you (and I say that as someone who really enjoys sportives) - I actually quite enjoyed cycling the route on my own with only my thoughts to keep me company :)

• Advertisement

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I travelled to Kerry last weekend to do the Ring of Beara, and did the Ring of Kerry route the day after, just to see what it was like. Good road surfaces for the most part. Initially the scenery was a little uninspiring leaving Killarney, but this gradually improved as the day went on to the point where I was regularly hopping off the bike to grab a photo or two. No really killer hills, just some long(ish), steady climbs (I appreciate they will still be tough for people who don't regularly cycle). I also took a little detour via the ferry to Valentia Island and did a bit of the Skellig Ring after Portmagee - not realising that the sharp climb up Coomanaspic Pass lay ahead - that'll teach me!

To sum it up, its a decent route with some great views, especially in the latter stages, but I still don't know if I'd want to be paying EUR100 for the privilege of doing it when there are thousands of others on the road with you (and I say that as someone who really enjoys sportives) - I actually quite enjoyed cycling the route on my own with only my thoughts to keep me company :)

Also did the Ring of Beara last weekend, lots of negativity among Kerry people I was talking to about the ROK, feeling was that they had killed the goose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ORBY73 wrote: »
    Ring of Kerry regustration going spare. DM for info

Two days later, Its tragic that this hasnt been snapped up...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ORBY73

Spead the word please cant do it due to family circumstances. Hate to see it goin to waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Spead the word please cant do it due to family circumstances. Hate to see it goin to waste

A few years ago, we had a waiting list in double digits for RoK
    What has happened?

It hasn't sold out you can still register on line.

Entry should never have went passed €50 imo.

The nominated Charities haven't sold their allocations either. I was at the Ring of Beara last week and representatives of 3 charities were there asking for cyclists to sign up on their behalf. A fair few lads simply said they weren't doing the cycle on the grounds of overall cost. It can be a pricey weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The nominated Charities haven't sold their allocations either. I was at the Ring of Beara last week and representatives of 3 charities were there asking for cyclists to sign up on their behalf. A fair few lads simply said they weren't doing the cycle on the grounds of overall cost. It can be a pricey weekend.

Definitely a pricey weekend, I am bringing the wife and she plans to spend the day in the spa so we are staying in a fancy weekend.

So I have motivation to get around quickly to stop her spending money :D

.... Hate to see it goin to waste
    People generally don't buy off others if the event isn't sold out.

(Unless you're giving it away - if so, perhaps you should state that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A few years ago, we had a waiting list in double digits for RoK
    What has happened?

Cute kerry hoores killed the goose by getting greedy.

In 2014 they did a very nasty scam with lotteries with non refundable entry fees, two tier pricing with premium places, dodgy registration processes to generate interest etc And they hypocritically excused it all by saying they were scamming people for "charity" so it was justified.

It made a lot of people very annoyed and angry.A lot of bad feeling.
    The following year numbers collapsed. Karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Olsky wrote: »
    Cute kerry hoores killed the goose by getting greedy.

In 2014 they did a very nasty scam with lotteries with non refundable entry fees, two tier pricing with premium places, dodgy registration processes to generate interest etc And they hypocritically excused it all by saying they were scamming people for "charity" so it was justified.

It made a lot of people very annoyed and angry.A lot of bad feeling.
    The following year numbers collapsed. Karma

I last did this in 2008 or 2009 and you could just throw whatever you wanted into the bucket (I gave 50 euro). Of course, the problem was then there were a bunch of freeloaders who did the cycle but didn't contribute anything. I do feel like they want too far to the other extreme though and are probably paying the price now. I'm not sure if it was incompetence or greed though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement