Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Draining Boggy Land

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We used (on more than one occasion) an old coke bottle, make some holes in it with a hot nail or drill, fill with gravel, half inch pipe in the top, screw through bottle and pipe to hold it in place...

But, I have recently discovered that I am a rooter, so that solution may not be to everyone's taste :D

Coke bottle's ( and it must be Coca Cola bottle) are only allowed to be used in Wifi solutions on chimneys as Wifi mobile dongle weather protectors.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?

Usually a stub of a 4 inch sewer pipe sticking out into the drain/shuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

Is there certain soil that can not be drained? If land was wet but had no big rushes would this be a good sign that drainage would work? Would ploughing help with drainage in the soil?

Would anyone have some photos on here from before and after?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What do ye usually put at the mouth of a piped drain to stop it from blocking? Concrete, flagstone etc

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

General answer on some draing queries.My experience,no viable means of draining bog.One option that works depending on effort put in.In Cork we call it turning.really its dig down to earth with gravel etc.Bring that to surface & might with bog.The gravelly & often the pan works great mixed with bog.
    Need be caution with lime,very small amounts in first five yes or so.Re mouths of drain intakes.a box of small field stones shud work,as it does here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Eugesuarez1

I'm looking to buy a property, in Kerry. It has about 0.650 acres. But it has a build-up of water in the middle, i'd say about 25% of the land is saturated. We mainly want to use it as a garden, to grow vegetation etc. Who would we contact about doing what you're suggesting, and how much would something like this cost? The water is mainly around a bored well, so we don't know if that is leaking or something, but it seems to be fine. I think it has something to do with a spring. If I could contact someone I would, it's in the Kerry area, but wouldn't know who to call.

Advertisement