Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N13/N15 - Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass [preferred route published; design underway]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

I can't imagine there's much opposition to this bypass. There are a few local businesses who believe that every person passing their doors will somehow be enticed to stay on by forcibly making one drive through the town. Based on my experience of Ballybofey, certain retailers might consider lowering their prices if they're worried about losing trade.

Ballyshannon and Bundoran thrived when they were bypassed, allowing them to focus on what they have to offer both to locals and tourists.

Donegal town is another excellent model for Ballybofey to imitate. It's got a full bypass and yet is a thriving town with a real sense of character and identity. Could anyone seriously argue Donegal town would benefit by having N56 and N15 traffic choking the town? I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I can't imagine there's much opposition to this bypass. There are a few local businesses who believe that every person passing their doors will somehow be enticed to stay on by forcibly making one drive through the town. Based on my experience of Ballybofey, certain retailers might consider lowering their prices if they're worried about losing trade.

Ballyshannon and Bundoran thrived when they were bypassed, allowing them to focus on what they have to offer both to locals and tourists.

Donegal town is another excellent model for Ballybofey to imitate. It's got a full bypass and yet is a thriving town with a real sense of character and identity. Could anyone seriously argue Donegal town would benefit by having N56 and N15 traffic choking the town? I highly doubt it.

Disagree about Ballyshannon and Bundoran, the bypasses are great but neither town has thrived. Poor towns with little to offer.

Donegal Town on the other hand entirely supports your argument and should be the 'go to' argument against those wishing to foist the continuation of traffic through the twin towns. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've stopped in Ballybofey on the way through to another destination in the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Disagree about Ballyshannon and Bundoran, the bypasses are great but neither town has thrived. Poor towns with little to offer.

Donegal Town on the other hand entirely supports your argument and should be the 'go to' argument against those wishing to foist the continuation of traffic through the twin towns. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've stopped in Ballybofey on the way through to another destination in the past 20 years.

The Rory Gallagher festival has certainly thrived since the bypass opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Abbeyleix and Durrow are two towns that thrived once the bypass appeared. Ok there is some toll dodging through them but whatever. They didn't whinge or moan about loss of trade, they celebrated the bypass publicly.

They aren't related. The RG festival was only 2/3 years in when the bypass opened and was still busy for those years.

• Advertisement

They aren't related. The RG festival was only 2/3 years in when the bypass opened and was still busy for those years.

Aww, really?
    Cheers, didn't realise that.
    How did traffic get through the town with all the revellers on the streets?

Aww, really?

Slowly! :D

Aww, really?

Slowly! :D

THAT must've been some carry-on, altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Abbeyleix and Durrow are two towns that thrived once the bypass appeared. Ok there is some toll dodging through them but whatever. They didn't whinge or moan about loss of trade, they celebrated the bypass publicly.

They’re still very busy towns though as the N77 Kilkenny to Portlaoise road took over the old designation and is still a busy route with less severe congestion. Abbeyleix can still be a pain at certain times and bank holidays even still. I was stopped out by the fire station in a few times during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why do these roadworks not have a planned completion date? Literally nothing seems to be done other than traffic light maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public consultation on emerging preferred route in the next 2 weeks. Details at this link: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/pages/timelineandoutlook.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Public consultation on emerging preferred route in the next 2 weeks. Details at this link: http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/pages/timelineandoutlook.php

Have they unveiled the route yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Have they unveiled the route yet?

This will be the route unveiling, public consultation on it once it's unveiled.

ABP in 2021

marno21 wrote: »
    This will be the route unveiling, public consultation on it once it's unveiled.

ABP in 2021

Morons in that local anti bypass group showing their "know it all" map of it before the actual unveiling.

Its actually depressing how every local town/village group delays a bypass being built and gives ridiculous guesstimates of job losses.

Like "Oh no", that guy who gets pissed off sitting in traffic mightnt grab a scone with us next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The stupid thing is, Donegal is the kind of county that absolutely needs bypasses if the county is to thrive at all. It's an out of the way place, wedged into the corner of the island behind another country that Irish people may not be able to as easily access soon enough. That kind of thing absolutely devastates investment and job creation. If Letterkenny can be more quickly accessed by the rest of the country, Dublin in particular, it will reap massive benefits, and these will only help the residents of Co Donegal. Reduced brain drain of young people moving away to get jobs, improved mental health because of more opportunities for young folks near home (and this is a significant problem for Donegal), etc.

Emerging preferred route:

http://www.donegal-ten-t.ie/media/download_gallery/SECTION%201%20-%20%20EMERGING%20PREFERRED%20ROUTE%20CORRIDOR.pdf

2+2 mainline all the way from the N15 south of Ballybofey to the N13 to the north east of the town, with a single carriageway link road to the N15 east of Stranorlar. 1 grade seperated junction in the middle for this link road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There really has been very little that could have changed since the original plans here - the junction designs here were the issue alone. Very odd selection of next step

L1011 wrote: »
    There really has been very little that could have changed since the original plans here - the junction designs here were the issue alone. Very odd selection of next step
    Was the last plan not a route south of the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

You can buy Lidar survey data off the shelf. Generally pretty current for the entire country. Is there a reason why you’d tender for someone to do a bespoke survey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

GetWithIt wrote: »
    You can buy Lidar survey data off the shelf. Generally pretty current for the entire country. Is there a reason why you’d tender for someone to do a bespoke survey?

Looks like they are acquiring ortho photography so very little extra to acquire high resolution lidar survey at same time along the routes. The lidar data available off the shelf may not be sufficient for design requirements and the extra over costs when acquiring ortho photography is probably quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wish theyd just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Shockingly, selecting the preferred route has been delayed once again, was due to be signed off today but now to be another public consultation to take place on the 24th to discuss the route with landowners

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/04/16/council-defer-adoption-of-preferred-routes-on-ten-t-network/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Any update on these? Are the roadworks still ongoing? Almost no information from any souce (council, media etc)

Any update on these? Are the roadworks still ongoing? Almost no information from any souce (council, media etc)

Short article on Highland this morning stating that the preferred routes will be selected some time this year (which of course likely means next year)

http://www.highlandradio.com/2019/07/29/full-public-display-of-final-ten-t-routes-later-this-year/

Any updates on this?

Presumably my above prediction that route selection 'later this year' actually meant next year, was accurate

• Advertisement

Preferred route to be published in January.

Advertisement