Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babybaby2017

advice please.  we are at 60 % of value of build now but need to get a top up of mortgage which will bring us to 70% . who can advice me if we now qualify for the HTB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I rang the revenue this morning and now our application is showing up as Approved for the max amount of 20k. We have an Application Code and an Access Code, and it's showing that we can proceed to the claim stage.

I presume that's all that is needed for now until we get to the stage where we have the final loan offer in place from the bank and the contracts drawn up?

We just paid a booking deposit on a new build yesterday.
    Apologies if this has been asked before but when applying for a joint mortgage (not married) do both applicants need to have the HTB grant approved or just one of the two?
    When I rang them this morning I was told that if both names are going to be on the final contracst then you have to apply as a group. Don't think being married comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You need to provide the HTB information to the estate agent/builders for the contract to be drawn up. We sent ours onto the estate agent and the bank after putting a deposit on a house. From here on in I believe the solicitor will take care of things.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You give them the code they ask for so they can verify your funds. After you sign the contracts they'll ask for another code so they can actually claim the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Was on Revenue Online there and to qualify All applicants on the mortgage need to apply for the HTB.

Question is, if one person qualifies and the other doesn't, what happens then...?

• Advertisement

Was on Revenue Online there and to qualify All applicants on the mortgage need to apply for the HTB.

Question is, if one person qualifies and the other doesn't, what happens then...?

What do you mean qualifies?

If one person is ineligible, ie they are not a first time buyer, then you cannot use help to buy at all.

If they are eligible, but they get a rebate of €0, then it doesn’t matter, your max rebate will just be whatever the other person can get.

awec wrote:
    What do you mean qualifies?

awec wrote:
    If one person is ineligible, ie they are not a first time buyer, then you cannot use help to buy at all.

awec wrote:
    If they are eligible, but they get a rebate of €0, then it doesn’t matter, your max rebate will just be whatever the other person can get.

Gotcha. I am eligible for the 20k because I applied last year but need to renew it again for 2018. My partner hasn't had a full time job since we had the little one a few years ago so not sure what she would be eligible to receive, most likely nothing.

I thought it might be a case where both applicants need to be eligible or else neither is but it looks like that's not the case..

Thanks for the answers above. We should now be ready to go with the HTB when it's requested.

The Agent has told me that other couples who bought in the same development have used the HTB aswell, hopefully there'll be no issues.
    I thought it might be a case where both applicants need to be eligible or else neither is but it looks like that's not the case..
    With us, my wife was only eligible for a little over 2k, having only been in the country since early last year.

I on the other hand am eligible for 20k myself, so our application shows 20k available as the max.

Something I notice on the new build we've paid a booking deposit into...

The Agent has it down on the Daft.ie page that it is eligble for the Help to Buy scheme. Upon talking to the agent I was told that couples who have bought into the development previously in the last few months have used the Help to Buy scheme.

But... upon checking the list of qualifying contracters on the Revenue website HERE (PDF), I can't find the developer on the list.

Guess I'll have to check with them again. Just curious if this has happened to people here before?

z0oT wrote: »
    Something I notice on the new build we've paid a booking deposit into...

The Agent has it down on the Daft.ie page that it is eligble for the Help to Buy scheme. Upon talking to the agent I was told that couples who have bought into the development previously in the last few months have used the Help to Buy scheme.

But... upon checking the list of qualifying contracters on the Revenue website HERE (PDF), I can't find the developer on the list.

Guess I'll have to check with them again. Just curious if this has happened to people here before?
    Yes, sometimes the developers are listed on the revenue site under a different name.

All depends on what way the developer company is structured.

Your developer / estate agent will be able to tell you the name they are listed under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Can anyone tell me what way this works on a self build using direct labour? Do I just get solicitor to apply for it? Is it 70% of the cost of build or 70% of completed value and who values it? Our engineer?

Can anyone tell me what way this works on a self build using direct labour? Do I just get solicitor to apply for it? Is it 70% of the cost of build or 70% of completed value and who values it? Our engineer?
    You have to be borrowing at least 70% of the lenders valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Our building developer has just verified our claim and revenue have just issued me a mail saying the claim is approved and the HTB refund will be issued in the next 5 working days.

My question is, as I understand it, this refund will now go directly to the developer?

We are purchasing a new build off the plans.

Our building developer has just verified our claim and revenue have just issued me a mail saying the claim is approved and the HTB refund will be issued in the next 5 working days.

My question is, as I understand it, this refund will now go directly to the developer?

We are purchasing a new build off the plans.

Yes, it'll go to your developers solicitor.

I'm eligible for the HTB but need to add my GF info the application so I need to cancel my application and resubmit as a joint application.

I done mine about 2 years ago so can't remember how long it takes from start to finish, i.e. submitting the Form 12s etc.

Anyone done it recently know how long the process is these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

I'm eligible for the HTB but need to add my GF info the application so I need to cancel my application and resubmit as a joint application.

I done mine about 2 years ago so can't remember how long it takes from start to finish, i.e. submitting the Form 12s etc.

Anyone done it recently know how long the process is these days?

It's only a few days after submitting the form 12s.. another 4 to 5 to get approval then after but i was a solo application so maybe yours will be slower.

So.... according to the agent, the Developer is not yet set up with the Revenue for the Help to Buy scheme hence their name not being on the list.

However I've been assured that it will be honored when the time comes to claim it given that they have advertised the development being eligible. Other people who have bought into the development have asked the same question.

I'm not sure what to think of that. I guess the details will have to be worked out when the contracts go to the solicitors.

We could still afford the house without the Help to Buy, but yet at the same time it would be nice to get something back from the Revenue given its likely already pushed up prices for new builds.

Question if anyone knows - What does a developer have to do to become a qualifying contracter with the Help to Buy scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Hi all,

Quick question, and sorry if I have missed it here or on the revenue site.

Is there a number I can contact revenue on in relation to the HTB grant?

Thanks in advance.

poggy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question, and sorry if I have missed it here or on the revenue site.

Is there a number I can contact revenue on in relation to the HTB grant?

Thanks in advance.

I rang the standard PAYE helpline and they helped me out with our application.

https://revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

I rang the standard PAYE helpline and they helped me out with our application.

https://revenue.ie/en/contact-us/index.aspx

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

So.... according to the agent, the Developer is not yet set up with the Revenue for the Help to Buy scheme hence their name not being on the list.

However I've been assured that it will be honored when the time comes to claim it given that they have advertised the development being eligible. Other people who have bought into the development have asked the same question.

If your sign contracts you'd wanna put in a clause about that HTB thing then.

GingerLily wrote: »
    If your sign contracts you'd wanna put in a clause about that HTB thing then.
    I was thinking one could do that if need be.

It'll be a question for our solicitor when he has the contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Question for people building.

Am requistioning/drawing down first stage. Am eligible for HTB. I believe I can claim after first stage is drawn down?

(believe its 5% of valuation?)

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Question for people building.

Am requistioning/drawing down first stage. Am eligible for HTB. I believe I can claim after first stage is drawn down?

(believe its 5% of valuation?)
    5% of lenders valuation to a maximum of 20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Just curious, the final code to claim the htb money by the builder. Should this be requested by the builders solicitor or provided by my solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Just curious, the final code to claim the htb money by the builder. Should this be requested by the builders solicitor or provided by my solicitor?
    I just gave mine to the estate agent and they passed it on. If it involves money you'll never see a builder act faster :pac:

The builders solicitor will ask your solicitor for it, who in turn will ask you for it.

All conversations of this sort with the builder should go via your solicitor.

awec wrote: »
    The builders solicitor will ask your solicitor for it, who in turn will ask you for it.

All conversations of this sort with the builder should go via your solicitor.

Thanks, my issue is I was never asked for the final claim reference so trying to see who is to blame

Thanks, my issue is I was never asked for the final claim reference so trying to see who is to blame

When you upload the signed contracts it gives you that code.

Your solicitor should have instructed you to send the code to them as soon as you had uploaded the contracts.

The code is available in the “my enquiries” bit of revenue online.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    When you upload the signed contracts it gives you that code.

Your solicitor should have instructed you to send the code to them as soon as you had uploaded the contracts.

The code is available in the “my enquiries” bit of revenue online.

Thanks I've done all that now

Advertisement