Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

MrStuffins wrote: »
    She touches on it a little on Paddy H's podcast. No great detail but hints at a few things

I heard a story from someone close that when Daly retired with a brain injury, Kavanagh emailed her straight away to empty her locker at SBG.

Regarding the fee, it's a franchise i think 5k isnt too bad (400 a month) but the way it was done feeds into peoples opinion of kavanagh.

I see Conor commented on Tom King status on twitter, basically saying let bygones be bygones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

dulux99 wrote: »
    Confirms what I've always known about JK. The man's a money hungry serpent. How cant the fighters under his current tutelage see this?

The likes of Crosbie, Gallagher et all have supposedly gotbaspirations to be "the best", but they're all being locked into iron clad contracts with the B show. The likes of Peter Queally, pouring his heart and soul into the sport, just ambling aimlessly from fight to fight in bellator with no chance of ever reaching the big show, due to John's connections with bellator.

Seems like they're happy to fight on forgettable European Bellator cards and spend all their time commenting on each others Instagram's saying "animal".

John's an ego maniac, and always has been. He looks after his own brand first and the fighters come after.

Iv always wondered why the likes of Gallagher & Crosbie continue to fight nobodies in Bellator if they are as good as they are suppose to be,

Forget the UFC for a second but there not even stepping up in competition in Bellator,

Its like Bellator realise they can put on a Irish show once a year and make themselves a fortune but to do so need to keep these lads,
    They are always seen with Connor so it give them a bit of street cred and they also need decent records so give them gimme fights ,

With Gallagher they thought maybe he had the talent stepped him up once he got flattened so they went back to baby sitting him ,

A lot of fighters fell for the catchphrases and cod philosophy, promises of loyalty and the SBG 'family'. JK is just a businessman. He's a guy selling a product and if you're not useful to that end anymore then please empty your locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Joey Breslin, who was one of their best young BJJ coaches also speaking out now. Ais Daly tweeting 'something must be wrong of so many are speaking out.' SBG Mullingar is now Lakeland Jiu Jitsu.

It all seems to have come to a head. I've also heard that SBG Charlestown (Owen Roddy's place) have lost a couple of big sponsors. Supposedly due to their brand no longer wanting connections to the McGregor name for various reasons. Owen has had to rebalance the books by letting some coaches go. I wonder if there will be temptation there for Owen to jump ship from the SBG name too. Conor seems to be doing a lot of his boxing at Crumlin boxing club now, maybe there is no longer a place for Owen??

It's all pretty sad to see really. Hopefully all the smaller gyms, wether they remain as affiliates or not, are able to keep operating and earn a living for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭The Rooster

A very sensible tweet from Conor. A brain in there somewhere fighting to be let out more!

A very sensible tweet from Conor. A brain in there somewhere fighting to be let out more!

I always find it very insulting when the person who has been wronged gets told to 'let it go' when they are voicing their discontent or providing their side of a story.

Sensible from Conor alright as opposed to fanning the flames but I'm sure Tom would have settled down in a day or two. It's only yesterday he released this information after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

There is a fantastic bellator card building here....SBG vs The World

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think also the other gyms have a fear there best prospects will end up at Johns gym. Didn't Danni Neilan started off at SBG Mullingar? They have no interest in been feeder gyms for HQ maybe? Roddy and Paddy would have big enough reputations so would be able to retain their fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Losing Tom King and Joey B as coaches is a huge blow to SBG. Probably the two best black belt coaches the gym has ever produced.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    To be fair he's in a tough spot; he has to side with John or he'll be kicked out of the box-room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Bit of a sad story really, whatever the truth, repeated countlessly since time immeroial - success breeding contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The good news to come from this, is that we should have a few decent gyms popping up around the place.
    Team KF are already doing well, and where-ever Joey goes, will get a very good BJJ guy.

Few decent lads from the Mullingar gym as well, Tyrone etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

To be fair he's in a tough spot; he has to side with John or he'll be kicked out of the box-room.

He would in his sh!te be kicked out by Kavanagh who ain't going to mess with the golden goose and you wouldn't blame him

• Advertisement

He would in his sh!te be kicked out by Kavanagh who ain't going to mess with the golden goose and you wouldn't blame him
    James definitely isn't the golden goose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Yeah... I doubt JG has made John much if any money at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Didn't John train a couple of the lads for free at the start?

I thought that was mentioned by some of them.

Those lads built his business by teaching for free for years and years.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    James definitely isn't the golden goose

Yep my mistake

Thought that was a McGregor tweet

Gallagher is definitely someone to tow behind JK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The good news to come from this, is that we should have a few decent gyms popping up around the place.
    Team KF are already doing well, and where-ever Joey goes, will get a very good BJJ guy.

Few decent lads from the Mullingar gym as well, Tyrone etc.

Joey is the BJJ coach in SBG D24.

I wouldn't have thought his "I'm out" comment would've meant he was leaving Paddy's gym? Unless he's getting away from the SBG name altogether?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought his "I'm out" comment would've meant he was leaving Paddy's gym? Unless he's getting away from the SBG name altogether?
    Ah, I thought from that tweet he was gone from SBG altogether. Possibly still is in D24 so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hence my earlier question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yep my mistake

Thought that was a McGregor tweet

Gallagher is definitely someone to tow behind JK

Easy mistake to make given how Gallagher styles every last thing about his life after McGregor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

darced wrote: »
    Those lads built his business by teaching for free for years and years.

Fair enough.

I was just putting it out there.

I am quite literally just a random guy on the internet when it comes to these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not sure where to post this but BT Sport 1 are showing the Chuck & Tito 30 for 30 documentary tonight at 10 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Hopefully he's sober during the interview.

Macdarack wrote: »

If Nick was to be fully sober, it would probably be reminiscent of that scene in Fr Ted for Fr Jack

Lads. For someone who's never kickboxed in any manner before, this is ****ing ridiculously smooth, especially for a man his size.

He's actually scarily fluid in his striking already.

This might actually happen, and he might actually do well.

https://twitter.com/MTKGlobal/status/1193188242406948864?s=19

• Advertisement

I suspect Fury's been training a while. Recall him throwing a few kicks messing around a while back and thinking that's not bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I suspect Fury's been training a while. Recall him throwing a few kicks messing around a while back and thinking that's not bad...

Tyson has been training and sparring with kickboxers for years, he spent a lot of time in Holland with all the top kickboxing lads. I remember an interview years ago where he went into it and how his legs were conditioned to kicks etc.

I'd say that was 5 years ago at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not the slightest bit surprised a champion boxer can kick up straight elbows and knees. Body position is pretty similar to boxing.
    Turning over your hips for a roundhouse will be much more unnatural for him I imagine.

But striking won't the issue if it happens. Would love to see it.
    This maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6x-0bi2nk

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Alot of hate for JK this week. I did ask TK a question regarding the 5k fee, did he expect to use the SBG brand for free. He didn't answer, I can appreciate if TK did provide free classes for years and for this expected some sort of alternative payment ie use of the brand for free.

JK needs to stop with the smart arse tweets he constantly does. He wrote a comment to Ben Askren today making a sly remark. He needs to just fuk off and stop thinking he's a comedian.

So much for the SBG family bull****. I hope Chris Field's and Paddy Hoolihan do well and make a decent living, 2 decent blokes who didn't make the McGregor money, but remained honest decent lads. They might never millionaires, but I don't think they'd want that, making a living would be sufficient.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not the slightest bit surprised a champion boxer can kick up straight elbows and knees. Body position is pretty similar to boxing.
    Turning over your hips for a roundhouse will be much more unnatural for him I imagine.

But striking won't the issue if it happens. Would love to see it.

This maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX6x-0bi2nk

Not that vid...but something like it.

Shrewd business move on Fury's part. WWE, MMA talk all very sound for building on his US profile. Plus he actually has the leverage to get something like this going...

Anyone listening to Nick Diaz interview on Ariel?

I know he was never great at public speaking, but he is really starting to sound as if he might have CTE or something.

Nick sounds like he is kinda jealous of Nate. He is talking about how Nate has got the big fights with Conor/Masvidal etc; also talking about how Nate has a family and how he would like a family himself.

It sounds like Nate has his life together with his career and family, while Nicks life seems to be all over the place, partying all the time and has no career or family. The only thing Nick seems to have going for himself is his academy.

:( I feel really bad for Nick. I hope he gets his life back on track and finds happiness.

I know he was never great at public speaking, but he is really starting to sound as if he might have CTE or something.

I've seen a few clips of him on YouTube the last few months and thought he was just on a bing, I watched some of today's interview and found him hard to follow, do you think it's brain damage? It's hard to watch on many levels.

Macdarack wrote: »
    I've seen a few clips of him on YouTube the last few months and thought he was just on a bing, I watched some of today's interview and found him hard to follow, do you think it's brain damage? It's hard to watch on many levels.

Brain damage? drugs? or maybe both. Its hard to tell but whatever it is I hope he gets himself sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Yeah he made no sense at all. Usually poor enough but that was very hard to watch and listen to. Maybe on something or whatever but I think he needs help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Brain damage? drugs? or maybe both. Its hard to tell but whatever it is I hope he gets himself sorted.

Hard to say. I think nick is similar to the likes of Mike Tyson. Clearly has an undiagnosed high debilitating social anxiety and communication disorder which led to him not only being exploited in the business but has impacted his mental health heavily throughout his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Nick has been flat out in Vegas the last year or two. I posted a video of him that a mutual friend took In a hotel room out of the head with nun Chuck's haha fair play to him all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

There a great segment on the Eurobash podcast this week with Tom King on it. He talks about Team KF and their decision to leave SBG etc. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads/Ladies

does anyone know if 245 will be PPV on BT sports ?

Thinking if it isnt of getting the 1 day pass on NOWtv to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies

does anyone know if 245 will be PPV on BT sports ?

Thinking if it isnt of getting the 1 day pass on NOWtv to watch it

Haven't heard it being on BT Sports Box Office, and i'd be surprised if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How can you not love Artem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »

Speaking of Jason, he pummeled 2 guys who confronted him coming out of the jacks.
    Edit: happened over a year a go. His friend posted again to hype the fight.

https://twitter.com/Maclifeofficial/status/1194651815968681984?s=19

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement