Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Directories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

for ref. in 1895 no. 30 is listed as John Seymour, accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

I suspect that Cornelius was only renting at Iona Road as he was born in Tipperary. I was hoping to get a timeline for his arrival in Dublin and the name of the store where he worked. Possibly Guineys as it was close to Dunnes Wine & Grocery:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Shane

Is there a way to check where Ryan's Buildings were? I can't find them now but here they are on 1901
    http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Fitzwilliam/Ryans_Buildings/

I wish the census site included DED maps so you could see which was beside which.

Genealogy Forum Mod

should be possible will have a look later.

from the Form N sub district - Lad Lane Division, St. Peter's civil parish...

EDIT found a ref. on Charlemont St, between nos. 19 and 20 - '..here Ryan's buildings intersect..'

c1900 OSI map Ryan's Bldgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Hi there,

Do you have any details of who lived at 84 Ranelagh Rd? I understand that there was a Dr David Jackson living there until his death in the late 1920s. Prior to that a barrister named George Swettenham lived there. I'm interested to find out what happened to the house from after Davids death to the present day.

Regards,
    Gerry

Also, would you have any info on the location of the Hughs Buildings, Inns Quay?

Also, would you have any info on the location of the Hughs Buildings, Inns Quay?

as Hughe's Buildings on 1901 census, cForm N shows St. George's civil parish
    Hughes' buildings, Glengariff parade (Thom's Street Index 1914)
    Glengariff parade is near Phibsborough, and fit's with other nearby streets listed in the same DED - e.g. Killarney Parade, Mountjoy prison etc.

The entry in 1914 street shows Hughes's Buildings, Glengarrif Parade '39 small houses', but no further details. There's no mention in the listing for Glengarrif Parade.

There's no sign of the buildings on the 25 OSI map.

Will check further listings ...

shanew wrote: »

as Hughe's Buildings on 1901 census, cForm N shows St. George's civil parish
    Hughes' buildings, Glengariff parade (Thom's Street Index 1914)
    Glengariff parade is near Phibsborough, and fit's with other nearby streets listed in the same DED - e.g. Killarney Parade, Mountjoy prison etc.

The entry in 1914 street shows Hughes's Buildings, Glengarrif Parade '39 small houses', but no further details. There's no mention in the listing for Glengarrif Parade.

There's no sign of the buildings on the 25 OSI map.

Will check further listings ...

Thanks Shane. This makes sense. The family lived on Glengarriff Parade at one point so it's probably the same house.

Hi there,

Do you have any details of who lived at 84 Ranelagh Rd? I understand that there was a Dr David Jackson living there until his death in the late 1920s. Prior to that a barrister named George Swettenham lived there. I'm interested to find out what happened to the house from after Davids death to the present day.

Regards,
    Gerry

1914 - 84 Ranelagh Rd. (nr. jct. with Dartmouth Road.)
    David Jackson, L.R.C.S.I., L.R.C.P.I. L.M.
    he's at the same address in 1927, he died 1929.

not sure if there's a connection, but I think there was a Dr. Jackson somewhere in Ranelagh near my Grandfather's Chemist.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Regards,
    Gerry

Did you have any luck with this Shane? This one has really confused me!

Hi there,

Regards,
    Gerry

1914 - 84 Ranelagh Rd. (nr. jct. with Dartmouth Road.)
    David Jackson, L.R.C.S.I., L.R.C.P.I. L.M.
    he's at the same address in 1927, he died 1929.

not sure if there's a connection, but I think there was a Dr. Jackson somewhere in Ranelagh near my Grandfather's Chemist.

I'm not sure if David Jackson was related to me - I think this house was owned by my great great grandmother In the 1930s - not sure if the house was left to her or she bought it.

I'm not sure if David Jackson was related to me - I think this house was owned by my great great grandmother In the 1930s - not sure if the house was left to her or she bought it.

I'll check 1930s and 40's listings for No. 84 this evening.

from the 1929 Probate Calendar for David - granted to Elizabeth McD. Simpson widow

was poking around the census ... transcriber of the 1911 return lost it little when working on this - has David's occupation transcribed as 'Electricians Apprentice', clearly has Physician & Surgeon Licentiate, Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons Ireland.

His wife Frances Emily died in 1922

Hmm.. that still doesn't add up to me. We felt that the house had been left to my great great grandmother but I have no idea who Elizabeth Simpson is. I don't think my great great grandmother owned the house until the late 1930's - to mid 1940's.

Ha! Poor David - demoted from a surgeon to an electricians apprentice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Check who was paying the rates in the Valuation office maybe?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Check who was paying the rates in the Valuation office maybe?
    Thanks Pinkypinky! No luck with that search unfortunately.

I'll check 1930s and 40's listings for No. 84 this evening.

84 Ranelagh Rd.

1930 : vacant
    1938 : let in flats
    1944 : let in flats
    1949 : let in flats

Elizabeth McD. Simpson was the executrix, but may not have been a beneficiary - the will should be available from the NAI

EDIT : found where the stray occupation came from - the last person in the previous house at 82 is an Electricians Apprentice.

Thanks so much for checking.

Hmm..strange indeed! Maybe she just lived in a flat there. Are you able to see after 1949 what happened? My great grandmother died in 1958 but I was given the impression her son's lived there until the 70's.

1953 - let in flats
    1958 - let in flats
    1962 - let in flats, same in 65 and 69

(edited - reading the wrong no. 84 ...)

• Advertisement

listed as flats all the way through to 1984

Thanks Shane! I guess she must have lived in the flats then. We were always given the impression they inherited the house. Thanks for all your help!!

I think if she had been owner, or primary leaseholder, she would have been mentioned in the valuation records.

So confusing!! Maybe I have the address wrong but I don't think so.

there's anther set of number for Ranelagh which also includes an 84 - wonder if that might be what causing the mixup ?

Ranelagh Rd. runs from Charlemont bridge at the canal to the railway/Luas bridge, and Ranelagh from the Luas bridge towards Sandford. Dr. Jackson lived on Ranelagh Road.

Thx for your help Shane. Just sent you a PM with more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Toirleac

Hi Shane, I was wondering if you might be able to help me with an address in Dublin for 1958? The address is Captain's Road in Crumlin or Kimmage in Dublin 12. I am hoping to find the number that a Thomas Doolin lived at in the late 1950s before he moved to England. I think the house is somewhere near the junction with Stanaway Road. No problem if you can't help and thanks for your time. Kind regards, Karl Doolin.

Toirleac wrote: »
    ...an address in Dublin for 1958? The address is Captain's Road in Crumlin or Kimmage in Dublin 12. I am hoping to find the number that a Thomas Doolin lived at in the late 1950s before he moved to England. I think the house is somewhere near the junction with Stanaway Road. ...

The only Doolin entry I've found on Captian's Rd. in 1958 so far is a P. Doolin at 195 same listing for 195 in 1953. It's a big listing, about 400 houses . I'll have a fresh look in the morning...

Captian's Road is under Dublin City in the 1958 listing, Crumlin Co. Dublin in 1953.

location of the current 195 on OSI - quite close to the jct. with Stanaway Rd. (zoom in to see the house numbers)

The only Doolin entry I've found on Captian's Rd. in 1958 so far is a P. Doolin at 195 .... I'll have a fresh look in the morning...

I've double checked the listing for Captain's Road in 1958, the only Doolin is that one at no. 195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Toirleac

Thank you so much Shane, it must be that house. Thomas had an elder brother called Patrick, so perhaps the house from the Corporation was in his name and they all lived there. I appreciate your help. All I can offer in return is that I have a Thoms from 1911 for Ireland and 1975 for Dublin and if you ever need information from them, please let me know. Thanks again, Karl.

Advertisement