Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Directories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Shane

Do you have anything around 1937 for Dublin?

If so, could you please check 21 Seapark Road, Dollymount (Clontarf now).

I've a gap for the 1930's which I'm still trying to plug - closest I have at the moment are 1930 and 1944

1930 : (I dont see a listing for Seapark Rd.)
    1944 : Dr. Heitler

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ok, thanks. I'll add that to my Pearse St list on Saturday.*

*reviewing Thoms, not stealing one for you!

Genealogy Forum Mod

As far as I remember Eadaoin, occasional poster on RootsChat (and contrib. to IGP) has a Thom's 1937 - might be worth a post on the Dublin board

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

From the newspapers it looks like Seapark Road was built from around 1933 onwards.

Woohoo: Eadaoin came up trumps. It adds some weight to my theory. I'll post about it when I have more evidence.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

129 South Circular Road, Kilmainham.
    One of my successful look-ups on the GRO was an infant death in 1919 –and the place of death is the above on the SCR. Today 129 is ‘Belvilla’, a large HSE facility opened in 1998 but there also is a Belvilla linked to Mount Carmel (synonymous with maternity) so I wonder if it's a recent HSE coincidence or was no. 129 a maternity home of some sort in 1919? Or a private house, different to no. 129 today, due to renumbering? Google seems blank on any historical details….. Thanks.

Thom's 1919 - Circular Road, South (Kilmainham section)
    (from Old Kilmainham Road to Rialto Bridge)
    No. 129 W. Loughlin

129 was close to the Old Kilmainham Road end, almost opposite Richmond Lodge

Belvilla appears to be one of the other 129s on the section of the S.C.R. adjacent to Griffith (Wellington) Barracks opposite Raymond St. near Leonards Corner - that's the section between Clanbrassil St. and Dolphin's Barn. 129 on this section is shown as Jos. Cohen

shanew wrote: »
    Thom's 1919 - Circular Road, South (Kilmainham section)
    (from Old Kilmainham Road to Rialto Bridge)
    No. 129 W. Loughlin

129 was close to the Old Kilmainham Road end, almost opposite Richmond Lodge

Many thanks Shane - I'd go with the Kilmainham end; but it raises a conundrum. I'm researching a C McLoughlin (per his marriage cert, father same name), however a witness to the marriage was a William McLoughlin). There might be no connection and it could be coincidental - he might have been renting from W. Loughlin. I'll start looking at the census later when I have some time, it's a far-out connection, in-laws of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Shane, many thanks for your help in the past. Would it be possible to shed any light on my GG Granddad, Patrick Dodd, who seemed to have an interest in a few properties in Barrow St. As far as I know he and another man received a grant of land from Lord Pembroke (who owned most of that area at that time). They built several houses, Patrick having 2, 5, 9 and 10. No's 2 and 5 are still owned by family members.
    Any help you can give would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jimmie

• Advertisement

nikonuser wrote: »
    Shane, many thanks for your help in the past. Would it be possible to shed any light on my GG Granddad, Patrick Dodd, who seemed to have an interest in a few properties in Barrow St. As far as I know he and another man received a grant of land from Lord Pembroke (who owned most of that area at that time). They built several houses, Patrick having 2, 5, 9 and 10. No's 2 and 5 are still owned by family members....

do you have some dates ?

The listings show principle business, occupant or householder rather than owner, so not sure if they will help.

edit : I think we've looked into this before - see posts 94 to 102

Shane,

I got into Pearse this afternoon and did my research. What does the monetary value beside a name mean? For example, the address I was looking at had

21 (house number) M Watters (rates payer/head of house?) and then £28.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's the valuation for the house. If you compare it to others on the street you'll see was it seen as bigger and better.

More precisely it’s a ‘rateable valuation’ – a notional value of the property on which ‘rates’ (a form of property tax) was assessed. It goes back to the mid 1800’s, when all properties were valued. The council/local authority would ‘strike a rate’ of ‘£x in the £’ so for example a rate of £10 in the £ would mean a property valued at £28 was liable for rates of £280. It was killed off for residential property by FF (and won them an election) in 1977 but rates remain to this day for commercial property. Rates were a continuation of cess tax, used for paying for local government services and are a precursor of LPT, water & bin charges.

I've an ancestor who is recorded as having 'plotted the cess' which always struck me as a rather arcane occupation!

Shane, many thanks for your answer, 17/09. I had raised this issue before and have still been unable to marry our family stories of P Dodd building and owning 4 houses in Barrow St. I have yet to discover anything that would point to him owning these 4 houses, no's 2,5,9 & 10. Two of the houses are still owned at the moment by descendants of Patrick so it is fair to assume that he owned at least 2 of them.

The reason I am looking in to this is that we think that an old man owning 4 houses (he was in his 70's when he met his future wife), letting out 3 for lodgers was the reason he met his very young wife (she is listed as 'Minor' when they marry in 1882) who came to Barrow St. to housekeep for him. This was the reason she met him, we were always told. Maybe she only mixed the 2 houses?

Thanks again.
    J

did you try the valuation office records ?
    these cover up to the abolition of rates (1970s) in most areas, and should give you the owner, or at least a middleman for the properties

found a Patrick Todd as occupant at no. 2 in mid 1960s and 70s if that helps...

Shane, I haven't tried them, though I now note that you suggested this before. Apologies. Are they available online or would the Dublin City Library in Pearse Street have records do you know? J

nikonuser wrote: »
    Shane, I haven't tried them, though I now note that you suggested this before. Apologies. Are they available online or would the Dublin City Library in Pearse Street have records do you know? J

you have to visit the Valuation Office, it's in the Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey St. - http://www.valoff.ie/en/Archives_Genealogy_Public_Office/ The original details are in Books, but records for some counties have been scanned and can be viewed in the office, but not online.

Patrick Todd, no, 2 was actually Patrick Dodd, a grandson of old Patrick Daniel. He passed away only a few years ago. It was from him that I learned about Barrow St being built in the 1840's and that Patrick Daniels's wife was Indian. Many stories but separating the facts from the story... That's why we do what we do i suppose.

A trip to Abbey St in order so.

Many thanks, Jimmie

• Advertisement

Shane,

Do you have anything from the 1930s? I'm interested to know if 172 South Circular Road was a nursing home. Found a birth registered there in 1935 but the parents' address is different.

Thanks,
    Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a history rather than genealogy question, but to avoid repeating content and as it is Dublin directory related... +-Does anyone know if there are either 1970s-early 2000s Golden Pages (scanned or physical) or scanned and OCRed phonebooks online or physically studiable?

As I want a category of something, reading an entire phonebook is out of the question - I did read an entire non-OCRed Thoms
    already!

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Shane,

Do you have anything from the 1930s? I'm interested to know if 172 South Circular Road was a nursing home. Found a birth registered there in 1935 but the parents' address is different.

Thanks,
    Pinky

I'll have a look later on... I dont have great coverage for the 1930s, def. have 1930 and I think '38. I know some of the numbers on SCR repeat but I think 172 is unique and would have been on the Clanbrassil St. to Dolphin's barn section. The other sections are usually listed as SCR Rialto, and SCR Islandbridge

1930 : 172 SCR John Merrigan - it's part of Salem Terrace (162-172)

same listing in the 1943 edition

edit : John Merrigan appears to have been a store-keeper - death cert 1944 172 SCR

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi Shane,
    Wondering if Cornelius McGrath appears on any Dublin directory before 1898 (year of his marriage & death). His address was 30 Fontenoy St, draper at time of marriage. His wife, Margaret Theresa Dunne (widow of William Dunne) was living 5/6 Talbot St (shop/dwelling) but had moved to Iona Road by 1911. Any further info on her?

Here is the 1901 census and oddly "Idolater" was recorded under Religious heading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

[QUOTE=montgo;
    Here is the 1901 census and oddly "Idolater" was recorded under Religious heading![/QUOTE]

Idolator - an RC who was a bit paranoid thinking that the government still considered them to be idolators for praying to plaster statues.

I am sure all the other people on the form would have just described themselves as catholic.

tabbey wrote: »
    Idolator - an RC who was a bit paranoid thinking that the government still considered them to be idolators for praying to plaster statues.

I am sure all the other people on the form would have just described themselves as catholic.

Thanks, I hadn't across the term before on the census. Margaret & family went back to RC for 1911 census.

montgo wrote: »
    Hi Shane,
    Wondering if Cornelius McGrath appears on any Dublin directory before 1898 (year of his marriage & death). His address was 30 Fontenoy St, draper at time of marriage. His wife, Margaret Theresa Dunne (widow of William Dunne) was living 5/6 Talbot St (shop/dwelling) but had moved to Iona Road by 1911. Any further info on her?

1895 - no McGraths, or Drapers on Fontenoy St. (there are very few businesses)
    1891 - no McGraths in street listing, just one McGrath listed as Draper in the trades index, a Thomas McGrath & Co., 40 Main Street Blackrock (Co. Dublin). 5 Talbot Street is listed as Dunne & Co, family grocers, wine, spirit, & prov. merch, and 6 as Nelson, Jas. Colonial Meat Co

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There was a Mrs. Dunne in 2 Iona Road in 1932.

• Advertisement

Many thanks to you both for the look up.

Advertisement