Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 261 - Apr 24th - 3 Title Fights

Options
  • 19-04-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭

Cannot wait for this one. Let's go Rose!!

550688.JPG

550687.JPG

Who Wins! 67 votes

Kamaru Usman
    38% 26 votes
    Jorge Masvidal
    16% 11 votes
    Zhang Weili
    4% 3 votes
    Rose Namajunas
    14% 10 votes
    Valentina Shevchenko
    5% 4 votes
    Jessica Andrade
    19% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's gonna - or at least should be - an absolute belter of a card. Very excited for all 5 main card events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Aaaand still x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Aaaand still x 3

Most likely. I'd give Rose the best chance of an upset purely because there's some MMA math there to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    Most likely. I'd give Rose the best chance of an upset purely because there's some MMA math there to back it up.

I’d agree Rose could sneak something.
    But no idea what MMA Math your getting at?
    Aware Zhang lose years ago. But might be hard to connect the dots to the UFC. But maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The 3 Champions will win with ease,

Usman will dominate Jorge , He took the fight as he knew it was an easy one

Zhang by Ko
    Shevchemko by Ko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    I’d agree Rose could sneak something.
    But no idea what MMA Math your getting at?
    Aware Zhang lose years ago. But might be hard to connect the dots to the UFC. But maybe

It's approximated MMA math :D. Rose beat Joanna easier than Zhang did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭xtal191

Honestly think Rose will beat Zhang, Usman should beat Masvidal but I think it'll be closer than their first fight and Shevchenko will probably win every round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

I'll have a few quid on Rose as the underdog, Zhang seems to leave herself open & takes a few hits & Rose has the hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Zhang v Namajunes holds the most intrigue for me. I fully expect Usman to beat Masvidal, and V. Shevchenko fights are often so eye wateringly boring that I can't get excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Can we bring back the press conferences without fans, those dudes this evening were so annoying "LETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOO" shut up please.

Its amazing how UFC can trick the average fan , Masvidal is no where near the top 5 welter weights and yet this is second title shot in a year after being beat quick easily in the firs tone,

Don't get me wrong he's a decent fight but that's about it ,

I don't think anyone is being tricked, people just like Masvidal and enjoy watching him fight. They watch and pay based on that, not on any false perception that he's the best of the best in the WW division. I think it's perfectly understandable that he got the rematch, not only is he a very decent draw, there's also that whole short-notice aspect to the first fight.

Let Usman demolish him again and move on....or let Jorge get a lucky punch in. Either way I am personally fine with it and looking forward to the fight/event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Its amazing how UFC can trick the average fan , Masvidal is no where near the top 5 welter weights and yet this is second title shot in a year after being beat quick easily in the firs tone,

Don't get me wrong he's a decent fight but that's about it ,

No where near? He is for sure top 10, i would say top 5 myself.

Beersmith wrote: »
    No where near? He is for sure top 10, i would say top 5 myself.

He has already lost to 3 guys in the top 10 Usman , Thompson & Mia ,

His only current top 10 win is Chiesa but that was 8 years ago at lightweight id fancy Chiesa now ,

I think also Colby, Burns , Edwards, also beat him

Jorge most impressive victory for me is Till , who shouldn't have been a welter weight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Beersmith

He has already lost to 3 guys in the top 10 Usman , Thompson & Mia ,

His only current top 10 win is Chiesa but that was 8 years ago at lightweight id fancy Chiesa now ,

I think also Colby, Burns , Edwards, also beat him

Jorge most impressive victory for me is Till , who shouldn't have been a welter weight ,

Well look you are just going on records and fine. But you then just say his wins are questionable but his losses aren't. That is just plain BS.

I think Masvidal has been screwed over by many decisions and that is a widely held believe.

He is certainly top 10 and fair enough arguable top 5 but to state no where near top 5 is also BS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jorge looks in the shape of his life. Can't wait for this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this one. Let's go Rose!!

550688.JPG

550687.JPG

Am I the only one who thinks that outside the 3 title fights this card is a bit meh?

Obviously, considering there is 3 big fights you won't get a stacked undercard. But apart from Crute and Allen who I'm looking forward to seeing, it's a lot of virtually unknowns and journeymen IMO.

Of course, the relatively unknown fighters will have points to prove and could end up being some fantastic scraps. But I can't see me watching it all live tbh.

Can I just say from someone who mocked Jorge as a top 5 fighter only about 3 posts ago he is in some serious condition ,

Jesus fair play to the lad , looks like he really got the head down , seems far more muscular than before hopefully some strength helps him ,

It's funny because in the Kimbo back yard fights he was 19 and he looked ripped compared to his MMA days ,

I know having muscles means nothing in MMA , hopefully he has become stronger and a better athlete,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I know the UFC is an American organisation and primarily caters to that audience, but did anyone else feel that Weigh in show is overly Americanised ?

Everything from the format to the selected analysts and host comes across like the other nonsense ESPN throw in your face for basketball/American football etc.

Tbh I just found it very irritating, but perhaps I'm not the desired audience.

• Advertisement

I just looked at the weigh in from 251 out of curiosity, Masvidal looks almost identical at both weigh ins to me

xtal191 wrote: »
    I just looked at the weigh in from 251 out of curiosity, Masvidal looks almost identical at both weigh ins to me

Have to disagree he looks in far better shape today ,

I dunno I really don't see much of a difference at all

gm6dW1Q.png

4ha4C4o.png

I think it's more about the time he had to cut in. He had plenty time, this time around - before it was short notice and he had to go through a hard cut in a short period of time.

Will it make any difference? Who knows, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Imagine being Kamaru Usman, knowing that there is extremely little chance that you could ever come across anyone who could come close to you in a fight..........

But on the off chance you do, you've got Francis Ngannou over your shoulder holding your jocks for you :pac:

551172.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sheering

Three title fights, but only one of them has a chance to be close in my opinion (Namajunas v. Zhang). Usman has shown he can handle Masvidal rather easily and he's probably just gotten better. Shevchenko is about the most dominating fighter going right now and Andrade won't have any size on her. That said, still looking forward to watching these.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Am I the only one who thinks that outside the 3 title fights this card is a bit meh?

Obviously, considering there is 3 big fights you won't get a stacked undercard. But apart from Crute and Allen who I'm looking forward to seeing, it's a lot of virtually unknowns and journeymen IMO.

Of course, the relatively unknown fighters will have points to prove and could end up being some fantastic scraps. But I can't see me watching it all live tbh.

It's hard to get excited about the early prelims alright

A few debutants but most new enough to the ufc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well look you are just going on records and fine. But you then just say his wins are questionable but his losses aren't. That is just plain BS.

I think Masvidal has been screwed over by many decisions and that is a widely held believe.

He is certainly top 10 and fair enough arguable top 5 but to state no where near top 5 is also BS

It's hard to put masivdal outside the top five imo

could have been given that split against bendo also for the belt so since 2014
    4 split dec losses, 1 ud v usman on short notice and the ud loss v wonderboy which is almost a given for anyone who stands with wb so the only time he's really been beaten decisively in 7 years

I don't think he'll ever beat usman, wb or even colby
    outside of that I think he could beat burns and a fight with leon would
    be very close imo

I do hope someday masvidal luque is made though, there'll be no dancing around the octagon if that ever happens, they'll take lumps out of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ive never heard a prelim fight with this kind of crowd pop. Its great to hear again. What a first round!! This fight is insane

• Advertisement

Where the early pre-lims on?

Advertisement