Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 261 - Apr 24th - 3 Title Fights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't even beat Poirier and he talking about taking Usman. Would literally end his career.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1386288175966949378?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can't even beat Poirier and he talking about taking Usman. Would literally end his career.

If Masvidal comes down in weight it would be good, love to see it at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eagle eye wrote: »
    Right I wasn't going to get involved in this but you are overblowing it. She went to get up immediately after the kick, Rise jumped on her and maybe connected once.
    I can understand the referee's decision because the kick looked brutal and he wanted to prevent more damage to her but she appeared to be able to continue the second it was stopped.
    Afterwards there looked to be a bit if a wabble but it's one of those things that happens and you'd pass no heed on if a person wasn't hit.
    As I said I'm fully in agreement with the referee's decision and I'd do the same myself in his situation but Zhang was never out from what I seen.

Hitting the ground probably woke her back up, but she was out. It was like someone cut the strings on a puppet, her body just shut down from the kick. Also took her a sec to get her bearings again when she stood up, which is usually the result of a knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Right I wasn't going to get involved in this but you are overblowing it. She went to get up immediately after the kick, Rise jumped on her and maybe connected once.

Watch it again.

Rose turned Zhang off. All the muscles in her body did a factory reset.

She then took another hard shot and then some unanswered hammer fists.

She wasn't defending herself. And to make it worse, when she was complaining she was wobbling all over the shop.

It was a good stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    Watch it again.
    How many times have you watched it?
    MrStuffins wrote:
    Rose turned Zhang off. All the muscles in her body did a factory reset.
    That's how it looked but she got up immediately so that is just a guess on your part.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    She then took another hard shot and then some unanswered hammer fists.
    How many hammer fists did she take?
    MrStuffins wrote:
    She wasn't defending herself. And to make it worse, when she was complaining she was wobbling all over the shop.
    It was only about two seconds, no longer than that. You'd swear the way you are talking that she was given some time.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    It was a good stoppage.
    I agree, as I said in my post I'd have done the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭Inviere

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The predictable tweet to keep himself relevant after a big card which doesn't involve him. He'd be eaten alive at 170, by most/if not all of the top 10.

No issue with the Weili stoppage, her lights were out. She came back around, but couldn't even stand up properly AFTER the fight, let alone properly defend herself. Good stoppage, with her long term health in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

That was definitely one of the wildest cards ive ever seen. Absolute insanity from bell to bell.

That has to be the end of Masvidals hype train now surely? Honestly think he was stupid even looking for a rematch. He should have just kept chasing money fights, keep the whole BMF thing going and make bank with a Diaz rematch. His stock is going to plummet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

Masvidal still has some mileage I think, I mean he did get utterlyt clocked by the champ, but I thought he looked reasonably good in the first round.

Insane card though. Weidman now 2-6 of his last 8, and this will be a long layoff....he's gotta be done at this point.

Really don't understand how some people claim early stoppage for Weili....she was out, and eating a hammerfirst or two without really showing any sort of ability to defend.

Mad kick from Smith. Was delighted for him, he'll never be real championship material, but he's an entertaining fighter. He's a bit like Masvidal really, great heart and character, but just not #1 material.

Andrade went about as expected. Overall, wild card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Homelander wrote: »
    Really don't understand how some people claim early stoppage for Weili....she was out, and eating a hammerfirst or two without really showing any sort of ability to defend.

Only eagle eye is claiming an early stoppage but that is a retarded opinion and the poster has history with idiotic posts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That Rose KO was a thing of beauty. The majority of head kick KOs are shin to head, but this was an almost karate-style snap foot to the chin that Zhang didn't see coming.

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote:
    Only eagle eye is claiming an early stoppage but that is a retarded opinion and the poster has history with idiotic posts
    You can't even read by the looks of things.

How many times have you watched it?

Eight. And now nine.
    That's how it looked but she got up immediately so that is just a guess on your part.

She never made it back up.
    How many hammer fists did she take?

Watch it again.
    It was only about two seconds, no longer than that. You'd swear the way you are talking that she was given some time.

Time is relative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've watched the slow mo replay a few times now, she dropped like she was shot. When she went to sit back up she had no idea what was going on til Rose smacked her again.

Nothing wrong with the stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Right I wasn't going to get involved in this but you are overblowing it. She went to get up immediately after the kick, Rise jumped on her and maybe connected once
    The fact she was only out for a second is irrelevant. She was out.
    There's no rule allows a ref to ignore KOs if they snap out quickly.
    Afterwards there looked to be a bit if a wabble but it's one of those things that happens and you'd pass no heed on if a person wasn't hit.
    She could barely stand straight afterwards. On that along she shouldn't be fighting on.
    It's really not a guess. We all seen it happen.
    That's the only reason somebody falls like that. Fundamentally different to a knockdown.

As soon as shes out, the fight is over. She isn't supposed to be given time to fight on. It's a KO not a TKO.
    If Rose stood over her, it still should have been called. Obviously Rose can't know that in he moment. So she rightly pounced and threw 3 unanswered hammerfists.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Thought Herb Dean was poor for the Masvidal stoppage, havent seen much outrage so maybe its just me but he shoulda saved him from some of them follow up shots.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Folks..if you don't agree with someone attack the post, not the poster..keep it civil and none of the personal abuse.

Thought Herb Dean was poor for the Masvidal stoppage, havent seen much outrage so maybe its just me but he shoulda saved him from some of them follow up shots.

I don't know. I thought it was an early stoppage.

Was he unconscious for more than 2 seconds? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Not like Masvidal can complain about late shots anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I completely overlooked this with all the talk about rose/zhang :pac:

I think he should have given Masvidal a few more seconds to wake up and after his antics v Askren it only made me smile.

That's a guy that needed to be taken down a peg or two imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Quite enjoyed that fight night.

Usman looks unstoppable at the moment, same with Schevchenko (surely nunes again is the only real fight for her).

Had hope the Rose fight would be a bit more of a war.

The leg break was nasty as can be - gave me the shivers.

Overall entertaining and good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think everyone is going overboard with Usman ,

Yes he is very good fighter but he is not miles out ahead of everyone

He had a very close fight with Colby , I think rematch could go either way ,
    He got dropped by Burns who let him off the hook,

Masvdal is on of the great characters of MMA but not fighters he is a bit of a journey man always has been , yes the ko was very impressive but its a rematch we didn't need to see,

I'd also love to see him fight Wonder boy

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Perfect time for Masvidal v Diaz 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think everyone is going overboard with Usman ,

Yes he is very good fighter but he is not miles out ahead of everyone

He had a very close fight with Colby , I think rematch could go either way ,
    He got dropped by Burns who let him off the hook,

Masvdal is on of the great characters of MMA but not fighters he is a bit of a journey man always has been , yes the ko was very impressive but its a rematch we didn't need to see,

I'd also love to see him fight Wonder boy

Defo a few challenges ahead but 14 wins in a row in the UFC, 17 in total. Unbeaten in 8 years since his 2nd ever fight. Pretty good!
    Perfect time for Masvidal v Diaz 2

Hopefully a Fight Night.

He had a very close fight with Colby , I think rematch could go either way , He got dropped by Burns who let him off the hook,
    Despite what the scorecards said he was always in control against Colby.
    In the Burns fight he saved himself, it wasn't that Burns stopped.
    He's shown everything, striking, grappling, wrestling, finishes on the feet and the floor. He's also shown he can handle himself when things go against him.
    He's the p4p best right now and imo possibly ever.
    Colby imo is streets ahead of everybody else in the division but well below Usman's level.

Despite what the scorecards said he was always in control against Colby.
    In the Burns fight he saved himself, it wasn't that Burns stopped.
    He's shown everything, striking, grappling, wrestling, finishes on the feet and the floor. He's also shown he can handle himself when things go against him.
    He's the p4p best right now and imo possibly ever.
    Colby imo is streets ahead of everybody else in the division but well below Usman's level.

He certainly was not always in control the fight was very very even ,
    The 3 judges had it , a draw, Colby 1 up ,Usman 1 up ,
    Now obviously Usman won but the rematch could go anyway,

Look I'm not arguing that he is not great he clearly is a great fighter

I just think he needs a few more big wins before we start comparing him to the GSP's or Jon Jones of this world,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

He'll beat colby again, I would have much rather saw them fight on Saturday than masvidal.

I actually thought masvidal won the 1st round but nothing better than seeing a bit of showboating then to be KO'd seconds later so glad the fight ended the way it did :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He certainly was not always in control the fight was very very even ,
    The 3 judges had it , a draw, Colby 1 up ,Usman 1 up ,
    Now obviously Usman won but the rematch could go anyway,

Look I'm not arguing that he is not great he clearly is a great fighter

I just think he needs a few more big wins before we start comparing him to the GSP's or Jon Jones of this world,

Rounds 3 and 5 were clearly Usman. The other 3 were pretty close from what I remember. If one judge had it a draw and one had it to Usman, then if it went to a decision it should be an Usman win. That round 5 was clearly Usman's round even if he didn't get the finish.

Rounds 3 and 5 were clearly Usman. The other 3 were pretty close from what I remember. If one judge had it a draw and one had it to Usman, then if it went to a decision it should be an Usman win. That round 5 was clearly Usman's round even if he didn't get the finish.

Yes your correct
    So going into round 5 whoever won that round won the title, anyway you look at it that is a very close fight ,

Fighting Masvidal again over Colby was nonsense but it might give Colby time to improve so that last round goes his way next time ,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is Rose the most likeable person in sports???

No

I find her contrived and OTT....

Even when being announced the winner.....why the forcing herself to tear up and cry...

Anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I would imagine Wonderboy's style could give Usman problems, could see him kicking and moving for 5 rounds to a victory against him.

Advertisement