Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 261 - Apr 24th - 3 Title Fights

Options

Comments

Normally a few early finishes are a curse. You get stuck watching the same promos over and over again and start feeling tired quick with all the downtime. They really need to stick to moving things along.

Yeah it means now I can switch off Covington going on like a child and not worry about missing the start of the next fight.

I don't get why they would drag stuff out, people are watching, people have already paid if they're gonna pay, doesn't achieve a whole lot that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Only 20:56 fighting total on the main card over 2 hours and 20 minutes. Didn't drag at all though, hopefully however they moved things along tonight is the new normal.

Things moved along because 4 fights had 1st rd finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

eagle eye wrote: »
    You see Usman is the complete fighter, he can knock you out, stick you against the cage, take you down, dominate you, and ground and pound or submit you.
    Being proficient in one area of MMA isn't enough against Usman.

Yeah he's very good at everything. Would just like a top-level striker in against him and I think wonderboy deserves one last title shot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah it means now I can switch off Covington going on like a child and not worry about missing the start of the next fight.

I don't get why they would drag stuff out, people are watching, people have already paid if they're gonna pay, doesn't achieve a whole lot that I can see.

It's probably for people just tuning in for the main or main/co-main so they will know roughly when it will start. You see it here the whole time for McGregor fights people asking what time he'll be fighting. Even for non McGregor fights you see the arenas aren't full until later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Suppose first round goes for Usman. Close enough though and he did **** all on the ground. Takedown probably outweighs getting up and a couple of strikes though.

A takedown you do nothing with counts for nothing. Literally. So if you accept that Usman didn't do anything with it, it doesn't outweigh strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Wow what a great round of fights for the main events, usman caught mas so cleanly.

The weidman leg was insane, felt sorry for both fighters.

Great night of mma. Speedy recovery to Weidman

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Things moved along because 4 fights had 1st rd finishes

Usually they don't though. Usually when there are early finishes they fill the time by showing the same promo for the main event over and over again (you've already paid your money so why advertise the main event). It really drags especially for us this side of the water.

It's probably for people just tuning in for the main or main/co-main so they will know roughly when it will start. You see it here the whole time for McGregor fights people asking what time he'll be fighting. Even for non McGregor fights you see the arenas aren't full until later in the night.

I'd say it's mostly about the advertising slots, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Surely he's next? It's the only fight I really wanna see in the 170 mix

Yeah its the money fight.

I made it 50/50 last year, but this power from Umsan is scary, not sure even Colby can hang with this version of Usman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Chriiiiist what a main card!! I'm so ****ing happy for Rose, clean as a whistle! Feel so bad for Chris but hats off to Hall for handling that win with class. I was rooting for Jorge but damn he did deserve that absolute violence! Loved how Usman said he would finish it like that but i didn't believe him, what a show! ****ing love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Remember there was talk of Usman McGregor? Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Delighted to see Jorge get clocked. His whole WWE style "push" has been cringing.

Thought the Zhang stoppage was 2 or 3 seconds too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Really enjoyable card, pretty weird seeing Dana post the leg break all over social media, should post the Usman KO instead.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Remember there was talk of Usman McGregor? Yikes.

From who though, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Surely he's next? It's the only fight I really wanna see in the 170 mix

We saw it already, Colby got smashed. He'll get smashed again.

Give Leon Edwards the fight if he wins next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Just watched the 3 title fights this morning.

3 dominant performances.

Valentina is nearly perfect as a fighter, Rose is probably the best 125 ever, and Kamaru Usman is a scary man at 170, that KO was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

3 dominant performances.

Valentina is nearly perfect as a fighter, Rose is probably the best 125 ever, and Kamaru Usman is a scary man at 170, that KO was insane.

Rose lost the title from one mistake in a fight she was clearly winning. Very rare at straw weight to have no margin for error like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

We saw it already, Colby got smashed. He'll get smashed again.

Give Leon Edwards the fight if he wins next month.

I hope Wondeyboy gets a shot. I don't think he'll win, but it will be a different type of challenge for Usman. And it's at least someone Usman hasn't already beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,604 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That was nasty

I won’t be watching it..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nah she had her eyes open and was defending herself. Definition of an early stoppage in my opinion. She was wobbling though so I will concede that..

What? She wasn’t knocked over. She dropped straight down ass to ankles. That happens when a fighter is out. Muscles lose all tension. Eyes open or closed means nothing.
    And defending? Lol. She was face down eating punches and not even blocking. Not a hope she getting outta there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I hope we never have crowdless arenas ever again.

Had goosebumps tonight before some of those fights and the crowd makes
    it extra special, must have been amazing to be there after all this time without.

I've always thought wonderboy would be usmans biggest threat in the division but after watching that I think wb gets slept also and colby gets slept again too
    Usman seems to be as complete as fighter as there is out there now.

I don't know who can give him a fight right now.

Rose V Zhang 2 can't wait already

Delighted for smith also, love that guy and every fight he's in is eventful to say the least, always brings it in victory or defeat, just
    a pity how it all happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

It might have looked a second or 2 early stoppage for Rose(wouldn't have made a difference) because we are so used to having Herb Dean as the ref...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

3 dominant performances.

Right now Valentina has to be the most complete MMA fighter on the planet male or female!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

The Nal wrote: »
    Delighted to see Jorge get clocked. His whole WWE style "push" has been cringing.

Thought the Zhang stoppage was 2 or 3 seconds too early.

Delighted for Usman and happy to see Jorge stopped, sick of listening to him tbh.

stoppage was fine for me, wasn't defending herself at all, much as I wanted
    it to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I never used buy into the idea of possible opponents for McGgregor around the 155/70 weight class being too big too powerful, Woodley for example I think he could have had a serious compete with at his best ............Khabib just has the weaponary I don't think he can beat

But Usman is just levels above even Khabib, any talk of 170 for McGregor is just not there any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Delighted for Usman. He remains criminally underrated by the average fan. Hoping for him to fight WB at some stage before he calls it a day, the only non-rematch which holds much intrigue.

Rose is just box office, I kinda expect a rematch between them, especially because Zhang is big money for the Chinese TV deals for the UFC. Personally I'd like to see Yan Xiaonan get a look in at 115.

Valentina smushes Andrade and will smush Lauren Murphy in a few months time, as sure as day follows night

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    What? She wasn’t knocked over. She dropped straight down ass to ankles. That happens when a fighter is out. Muscles lose all tension. Eyes open or closed means nothing. And defending? Lol. She was face down eating punches and not even blocking. Not a hope she getting outta there.
    Right I wasn't going to get involved in this but you are overblowing it. She went to get up immediately after the kick, Rise jumped on her and maybe connected once.
    I can understand the referee's decision because the kick looked brutal and he wanted to prevent more damage to her but she appeared to be able to continue the second it was stopped.
    Afterwards there looked to be a bit if a wabble but it's one of those things that happens and you'd pass no heed on if a person wasn't hit.
    As I said I'm fully in agreement with the referee's decision and I'd do the same myself in his situation but Zhang was never out from what I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eoinbmw wrote:
    Right now Valentina has to be the most complete MMA fighter on the planet male or female!
    Amanda and Usman are right there with her.

wow Rogan and the other 2 commentators had such a boner for Masvidal but Usman delivered a vicious KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,604 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure why folks debating the Rose stoppage. It was fair. Chinese lass was done!

Advertisement