Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting that uaireadoir is Irish for watch from the Latin/French(which gives us Uhr in German) for hour. Even though Irish gave us the word Clock(bell) for, well a clock. "Watch" is an odder one. Some have suggested it was because a timepiece was in use by the officer of the watch on ships, but the word predates that. Another is the suggestion that it referred to a pocket alarm that "watched" the time for you, but that's even dafter as the tech wasn't around for that. It's probably down to a mix of a night watch person, or town crier type who "watched the time" and when the tech came along in Germany to create a portable timepiece it became a "watch" you could carry with you. Interestingly again the Irish took the continental "hour" over the English influence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

So I have two contacts on the lookout but nothing popped up yet. By total conincidence I had a meeting with someone today and she was wearing one with an alligator strap, my wife works with me and was in the meeting for a few minutes so I told her "Féach ar an t-uaireadoir sin, cad a cheapann tú?" The beauty of working abroad, we can speak discreetly. It was a no anyway, she wants a two tone watch. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I’m working in Saudi and hate it when my guys speak their own language in front of me (fluent in English!) But 100% acceptable in this situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

C0N0R wrote: »
    I’m working in Saudi and hate it when my guys speak their own language in front of me (fluent in English!) But 100% acceptable in this situation!

Oh it is dickish behaviour. We actively avoid doing it in fairness but I was discreet. Turned to her as the lady in question as asking the 4th person present a question so it went unnoticed.

After a follow up today my contact came back to me with a new lady constellation, 18k gold and steel with diamond hour markers. As below but at a 25% saving. She would be happy with preowned in fairness, our Irish contact would be providing preowned but can't source anything. I think I need to bring her in to look locally, she's told me she wants a watch so we may as well pick one she likes.

https://www.lunns.com/watches/For-Her/Omega/Families/4500/0515310023?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_cHhm6uA8AIVhpftCh0C5AvIEAQYAiABEgKa1fD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Constellations are the frist good watch and young lady gets, not a big birthday gift from your husband.

Big birthday....wants two tone...its got to be a datejust get a 31mm value there. ref 68273, stick to the classic dials like champagne or mother of pearl, white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think I need to bring her in to look locally, she's told me she wants a watch so we may as well pick one she likes.
    1000% this JBJ. You know her best of course, but we could suggest every watch under the sun, but she may not like any of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

eljono wrote: »
    I'm probably late to the party but I've just seen the new 4 face Reverso, the Hybris Mechanica, what a stunning piece of design and engineering! I've found my grail...

Perpetual calendar
    Tourbillon
    Minute Repeater
    Indicates when there are rare lunar events and eclipses

I'm totally smitten by it I have to say. JLC have built a very good product page you can scroll on desktop and see how the various functions work, well worth a look: https://hybrismechanicacalibre185.jaeger-lecoultre.com/en

That's mental. Amazing piece of work. Fitz, take the back off your vostok when you get it, it's very similar to this

Wibbs wrote: »
    1000% this JBJ. You know her best of course, but we could suggest every watch under the sun, but she may not like any of them.

I know. That said we went to a jeweller here, the same contact who supplies watches, and she had tonnes of options. I picked one ring from the whole lot and it was instantly her favourite. I'd be confident in what I would pick in fairness. A diamond tennis bracelet or a heavy gold chain are also in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks i need help picking a new watch im all over the place :D

to make it simple the funds available consist of the sale of my GMT and Hulk. Obviously i dont have to spend it all but if it isnt in a watch it could be subsumed elsewhere.....

Atm i have an IWC Portoguese chrono (white dial blue hands), VC Overseas deepstream, Omega darkside of the moon and a JLC 8 day perpetual calendar

I tend to prefer sportier rather than dressy watches so the IWC and JLC has me covered on the dressier front, although i was considering spending the lot on one 'special' watch but that would mean the JLC would go as two PCs arent required.

At the moment im thinking Zenith chronomaster sport white dial and something else but im not sure on that as im worried once the hype abates on those that the prices will tumble a bit.

any ideas??

I'd be thinking the same regarding the Zenith. That said I pretty much know sweet fanny adams about the new watch market so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The zenith is lovely, but...
    Is there anything to be said for another mass, I mean a Tudor Baytona? ;)

CZo7xKj3qzvuZ32RA

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    The zenith is lovely, but...
    Is there anything to be said for another mass, I mean a Tudor Baytona? ;)

4iyev0fcrks61.jpg

i like it but i prefer the zenith..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

That Cellini is stunning, have never seen that version before.

The Chronomaster Sport is a beautiful looking watch too, certainly fits the sporty brief. It will be interesting to see how values hold after a year or two though so if there's a chance of flipping it soon, perhaps better to hold off for a while?

No divers in your collection, would you consider another JLC? I have a serious grá for the Polaris, if I ever decide to sell my 300M, it'll probably be to replace it with a Polaris.

eljono wrote: »
    That Cellini is stunning, have never seen that version before.

The Chronomaster Sport is a beautiful looking watch too, certainly fits the sporty brief. It will be interesting to see how values hold after a year or two though so if there's a chance of flipping it soon, perhaps better to hold off for a while?

No divers in your collection, would you consider another JLC? I have a serious grá for the Polaris, if I ever decide to sell my 300M, it'll probably be to replace it with a Polaris.

cheers, yeah that cellini is something special,

i like the polaris, toyed with one a few times but never pulled the trigger.

might look again!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cyrus wrote: »
    folks i need help picking a new watch im all over the place :D

to make it simple the funds available consist of the sale of my GMT and Hulk. Obviously i dont have to spend it all but if it isnt in a watch it could be subsumed elsewhere.....

Atm i have an IWC Portoguese chrono (white dial blue hands), VC Overseas deepstream, Omega darkside of the moon and a JLC 8 day perpetual calendar

I tend to prefer sportier rather than dressy watches so the IWC and JLC has me covered on the dressier front, although i was considering spending the lot on one 'special' watch but that would mean the JLC would go as two PCs arent required.

At the moment im thinking Zenith chronomaster sport white dial and something else but im not sure on that as im worried once the hype abates on those that the prices will tumble a bit.

any ideas??

Ooof thats a tough one, you've quite the nice collection there already.

AP Royal oak (plain, chrono, or dual time) would probably be just about in budget, but might not be your style.

Some interesting blancpain models well within that range (the flyback chronograph would be my own choice), and they're something a bit different from he ususal

If you didnt have an overseas already i would have said overseas chronograph.

Time wrote: »
    Ooof thats a tough one, you've quite the nice collection there already.

AP Royal oak (plain, chrono, or dual time) would probably be just about in budget, but might not be your style.

Some interesting blancpain models well within that range (the flyback chronograph would be my own choice), and they're something a bit different from he ususal

If you didnt have an overseas already i would have said overseas chronograph.

Yeah have flirted with a 50 fathoms before and had a deal done on a vc overseas Chrono that fell through after I put a deposit down!

Cyrus. You have a mighty budget there. Would you think of a pre ceramic Daytona of push the boat out to a ceramic? I know you had daytonas before. The zenith is lovely and I think it does its own thing. but prices will soften. Sell the JLC and go ceramic daytona?

The sportiest of the Calatravas

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Patek%20Philippe/Calatrava/6006G-001/41208/item/179114?searchId=b39facb2-bede-431e-9773-0fe03b4a093b&rank=1

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cyrus. You have a mighty budget there. Would you think of a pre ceramic Daytona of push the boat out to a ceramic? I know you had daytonas before. The zenith is lovely and I think it does its own thing. but prices will soften. Sell the JLC and go ceramic daytona?

The sportiest of the Calatravas

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Patek%20Philippe/Calatrava/6006G-001/41208/item/179114?searchId=b39facb2-bede-431e-9773-0fe03b4a093b&rank=1

I’m refusing to buy a Rolex at a premium so that rules most of them out for me , which is a pity as I’d like a ceramic to be honest I just don’t see the price holding longer term . Probably because I just above broke even on my 116520 in the past :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

I’m refusing to buy a Rolex at a premium so that rules most of them out for me , which is a pity as I’d like a ceramic to be honest I just don’t see the price holding longer term . Probably because I just above broke even on my 116520 in the past :D

I think it’s a rose gold Calatrava you are truely after. You have an itch there that won’t go away. But I think it would be a disappointment beside other watches in that price bracket (and even cheaper) ie a rose gold ALS in that bracket. You could buy second hand and have money left over from your budget easily.

My pick of the Calatrava is the 5296G. Comes in the rose gold 5296r as well.

If I was to walk into Weirs and buy a new lady constellation what would I actually expect to pay? Been offered a new one locally at 25% below retail. 18k gold and steel, MOP face and diamond hour markers.

• Advertisement

If I was to walk into Weirs and buy a new lady constellation what would I actually expect to pay? Been offered a new one locally at 25% below retail. 18k gold and steel, MOP face and diamond hour markers.

I doubt they will give 25%. I am not saying the constellation is a bad watch, but its not a classic.

36mm datejust here https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-datejust/23527517

I doubt they will give 25%. I am not saying the constellation is a bad watch, but its not a classic.

36mm datejust here https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-datejust/23527517

I'm not in Ireland and that is beyond my budget. I don't think she would like a Rolex, it may be a little too ostentatious for her.

I'm not in Ireland and that is beyond my budget. I don't think she would like a Rolex, it may be a little too ostentatious for her.

Try her you might be surprised :)

There is still decent value in ladies Rolex if you aren’t buying new .

Try her you might be surprised :)

There is still decent value in ladies Rolex if you aren’t buying new .

"If you buy a rolex, you'll just look like an arsehole," were her exact words when we were in jewellers lately and I was trying on a used steel and gold datejust.

I dunno, the more I research the hard this is becoming. I have until to July yet.

"If you buy a rolex, you'll just look like an arsehole," were her exact words when we were in jewellers lately and I was trying on a used steel and gold datejust.

I dunno, the more I research the hard this is becoming. I have until to July yet.

What was it liz Taylor said to the journalist who told her that her diamond ring was vulgar , she told the lady to try it on and then said to her not so vulgar now is it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

She wants you to buy her a Swatch.

A two tone constellation is not a good buy, they are not nice. They tank on the secondary market, and I appreciate that doesn't matter but it does give you a hint as to their general desirability. I got my wife a Cyndy Crawford constellation TT many moons ago, was a POS, sold it to watchfinder for 500 pounds....she loves her DJ now. Your wife may be parroting the things you have said (the students in your school wearing Rolex etc). A Cartier would be another one to think of.

Your wife may be parroting the things you have said (the students in your school wearing Rolex etc).
    Or she may see Rolex as a bit too brash, "nouveau", used car salesman type brand. Even with their recent popularity that is still in play with some and it's not that unusual a perception around the brand either. That and/or "it's probably fake" on top. Sure it'll hold more of its value compared to other brands, but if she thinks them tacky then she thinks them tacky.
    A Cartier would be another one to think of.
    I'd agree 100% on this score. Can't really go wrong with Cartier. I'd agree with your take on the Omega. Certainly as a new watch. Always go previously loved there.

A two tone constellation is not a good buy, they are not nice. They tank on the secondary market, and I appreciate that doesn't matter but it does give you a hint as to their general desirability. I got my wife a Cyndy Crawford constellation TT many moons ago, was a POS, sold it to watchfinder for 500 pounds....she loves her DJ now. Your wife may be parroting the things you have said (the students in your school wearing Rolex etc). A Cartier would be another one to think of.

She will end up with a tennis bracelet or heavy gold necklace at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This may have already been suggested, but a Longines may be a good option. Well known brand without being ostentatious, lots of different styles, and pricing is usually reasonable.

Advertisement