Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I worked in a sales role previosuly in the office and initially came in wearing jeans and fleeces. I was pulled into the managers office and lambasted for my appearance being told 'Don't dress for the job you're in, dress for the job you want'.

Thats all well and good....
    Untill you show up at work dressed as Batman! Or better yet a male stripper :P

I do think lockdown is going to change a few attitudes regarding "formal" work wear tho, and in a lot of roles its no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

banie01 wrote: »
    Thats all well and good....
    Untill you show up at work dressed as Batman! Or better yet a male stripper :P

I do think lockdown is going to change a few attitudes regarding "formal" work wear tho, and in a lot of roles its no bad thing.

there are certain jobs where formal wear will always be required, if you have a team of lawyers working on a big transaction for whatever reason you want them to show up dresses as lawyers, not in jeans and tee shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »
    Who's the guy in the UK? The Electric watches chap used to do pretty much all early battery stuff, but latterly seems to only do the later ESA tuning fork stuff like Omega f300's and Longines Ultronic. Which is a pity as he gets great reviews and I've sent my Longines to him twice and got great results and at a very good price.

The problem with Accutrons can be the modern batteries and their voltages. That sounds like it could be the case with your Astronaut. Here's an adaptor that should fix it. IIRC there is a fix that involves some change in the movement itself, but that adaptor link is worth trying first.

The batteries arrived this morning :D
    The tone of the hum sounds a lot less angry and the removed battery was indeed at 1.5v with a spacer and no diode!
    Will wear the Accutron for a while with the 1.35v setup and hope it nixes the fast running ;)

Thanks for the diagnosis and the steer Wibbs, will let you know how successful it's been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yay! I did good. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm probably late to the party but I've just seen the new 4 face Reverso, the Hybris Mechanica, what a stunning piece of design and engineering! I've found my grail...

Reverso.png

Perpetual calendar
    Tourbillon
    Minute Repeater
    Indicates when there are rare lunar events and eclipses

I'm totally smitten by it I have to say. JLC have built a very good product page you can scroll on desktop and see how the various functions work, well worth a look: https://hybrismechanicacalibre185.jaeger-lecoultre.com/en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

1.6 million euro though :D (and probably long sold out being a limited edition of 10). Will be interesting to see who gets their hands on these pieces.

One other amazing thing is that all these complications fit into a "normal" Reverso case 15mm high - so an actual wearable piece versus say the grand master chime from Patek (47.7mm diameter and 16.07mm height).

Ah here, 1.6million, that's less a grail than a fantasy! I didn't even think to check the price, I just assumed it would be 50-100k region, something like that. Oh well, tbh even if it was that much, I still would never afford it 😄

Yes, that thickness of the case struck me too, overall an amazing blend of design, engineering and craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Hi all,

Anyone able to recommend a blue dial dress watch? I have a Tissot visodate which is great and was looking at the Tissot gentleman powermatic 80 silicium, but would be looking more along the lines of a Longines conquest automatic or Tag calibre 5.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone able to recommend a blue dial dress watch? I have a Tissot visodate which is great and was looking at the Tissot gentleman powermatic 80 silicium, but would be looking more along the lines of a Longines conquest automatic or Tag calibre 5.

Any recommendations?

Whats your budget? Those aren't really dress watches, but along those lines a second hand Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra would be my choice.

Time wrote: »
    Whats your budget? Those aren't really dress watches, but along those lines a second hand Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra would be my choice.

Maybe I should have said minimalistic rather than dress watch. Probably 2k budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've always liked the dark blue Seiko cocktail time. Stunning looking watch. You would also get plenty of change out of you budget.

eljono wrote: »
    Ah here, 1.6million, that's less a grail than a fantasy! I didn't even think to check the price, I just assumed it would be 50-100k region, something like that. Oh well, tbh even if it was that much, I still would never afford it 😄

Yes, that thickness of the case struck me too, overall an amazing blend of design, engineering and craft.

50-100k would probably get you one of the tourbillon, perpetual calendar or minute repeater complications from JLC :D

It would be a true "holy grail" though - something almost certainly impossible to achieve (barring something like Euromillions…) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ah here, 1.6million, that's less a grail than a fantasy! I didn't even think to check the price, I just assumed it would be 50-100k region, something like that. Oh well, tbh even if it was that much, I still would never afford it ��

These are not really meant for public consumption. Sure there will be some ultra rich collectors will get them, but the real purpose is as a masterpiece of their art. To demonstrate the brands ability to design and manufacture horology at the bleeding edge. The benefit to them is that this has a halo effect on the rest of the range and increase brand desirability. The innovations will trickle down over time to the rest of the range. The pricetag is a function of the limited production but also there to grab headlines and get people talking....job done.

Similar tactic taken by premium car manufacturers I suppose with their concepts or uber-halo models.

I've long been a Reverso fan and would love a Grande Date at some stage so I'm already converted, but I can see how the Hybris Mechanica could potentially open the door to new audiences and position JLC as a desirable, technically advanced brand for those who aren't familiar with them and their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question re: importing.

If I was to buy a watch from Oz, is it subject to customs and extra charges on importation to both Ireland the Northern Ireland?

I'm assuming it would be much cheaper to import to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question re: importing.

If I was to buy a watch from Oz, is it subject to customs and extra charges on importation to both Ireland the Northern Ireland?

I'm assuming it would be much cheaper to import to NI.

Definitely, whether it get stopped is another thing. If it’s any sort of high value watch source it in Europe. There’s no way such a small market like oz has a better available range than we have here

VAT rate in NI would be lower than Ireland so yes it'd be cheaper to import into NI than Ireland.

Whether something is "caught" for customs is a different issue. Like Time states above - if someone is willing to underdeclare (illegal btw) it also means that insurance won't cover the item to its true value, just declared value.

So very much a dice roll (though possibly low risk). I can only recommend that things be declared at full value and appropriate insurance obtained.

From what I hear Oz generally has higher prices - so unless it's something really esoteric and rare, you'd probably get it cheaper from within the EU.

Where might one find a good price for the Seiko Presage SPB167 39mm?

Fitz II wrote: »
    I am going to get a vostock to see why people buy them, as far as I can make out they have no appealing attributes....better to speak from experiance than ignorance. What one should I get and from where.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Fully in house, extremely robust, innovative waterproof design, interesting history, something a bit different from the usual fare and get a good one and they're pretty accurate too. Lots of customisation options too. All for feck all money. Downsides? Too many gaudy cartooony dials(though that appeals to some), appallingly bad bracelets, though the mesh and rubber straps are pretty good I gather. The Amphibia line would be the ones I'd look to Fitz.

Adding on to what Wibbs was saying - I'd recommend an Amphibia too - but something really worn and trashy (it's never going to compare well to the finishing on your Patek) - i.e. $60 here (I say they person would take $45 probably):
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/USSR-VOSTOK-AMFIBIA-AMPHIBIAN-200M-ORIGINAL-DIVER-TONEAU-1972s/273821011865?hash=item3fc1010f99:g:OPoAAOSwb-JcXKK6

Or if you have to buy new - here's a decent one for $67 and free delivery:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/USSR-VOSTOK-AMFIBIA-AMPHIBIAN-200M-ORIGINAL-DIVER-TONEAU-1972s/273821011865?hash=item3fc1010f99:g:OPoAAOSwb-JcXKK6

I'd recommend an Amphibia too, and a no-date since it's "quick set date" involves going back and forth between 4am and 9pm.

Afterwards you'll see that for a "tool" watch - an Amphibia hits all the right spots - feels like you could put sand inside the movement and it'll keep on ticking... the appeal of an AK47 vs a M14 rifle in Vietnam I guess.

Things like the "wobbly stem" (a feature), the massive seals (another feature to do with lack of precision machining in the USSR) and the way the watch is designed to do what needs to be done (keep relatively good time and for scuba divers) - it is worthy of entry into an horology museum just as the AK47 has entered into other museums for its design.

Oh and per my most thanked ever post on WUS - this is *THE* watch you can wear on your wrist that will almost 100% (outside of Russia) identify you as a WIS or watch enthusiast, because no-one in their right minds would get it (and wear it) other than someone who really appreciate watches:
    https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/cheapest-watch-that-unequivocally-establishes-you-as-a-watch-guy-girl.5294699/#post-53252231

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Gnomon watches have a new Steinhart diver in stock

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/ocean-2-black

I love the hands, but it is big, 43mm. I wonder have they changed the shape of the lugs so that the watch sits a bit closer to the wrist?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thirdfox wrote: »
    the massive seals (another feature to do with lack of precision machining in the USSR)
    I'd agree with your other points T, but far less so on this point, though it's commonly repeated with regard to the Vostoks. There can be a hint of the cold war US prejudice going on.

The Soviets were bloody good at precision engineering. They were the first and for a goodly while the better space faring nation and were leaders in many aspects of aerospace in general. Put it another way; if you're able to machine a movement plate to the tolerances required to have press fit jewel bearings(rather than screw chaton set which allows more leeway*) and do that as a large scale industrial process, case machining to a high enough tolerance is not a problem. Put it another way they were able to machine the press fit crystal groove to such a degree that made it both watertight at the surface and allow for expansion within that groove all the way down to 200 and 300 metre depths as part of the water resistant design.

The main reasons they went with that innovative case design were 1) longevity of materials in the field. Not having to replace the seals every time a service was required cut down long term costs and lessened the chances of failures in the field. Important in a non commercial command economy that initially had the military in mind and 2) they were always looking to the export market for hard currency sales so wanted to avoid any existing patents that would impact their bottom line(the designers of the Amphiba case make this point very clear). So the back and front openings were no great problem for the Vostok factory, what was initially an issue in large scale production with steel cases was machining lugs of all things. Hence the first examples had clumsy wire type lugs and later the tonneau case shape helped avoid lugs entirely. The early ones with lugs were all chromed brass.

This is where the AK47 comparisons tend to lose some steam. The lower tolerance AK design was deliberately designed with ease of large scale manufacture, to be as cheap as possible and have extreme robustness in the field. In the original trials that Kalashnikov won, other designers had come up with some good designs with much higher requirements for tolerances, but they'd have cost a lot more to produce and those same higher tolerances were more likely to lead to jamming in use(and required better ammunition too). They had learned the lessons of WW2 against German tech which was of extremely high tolerances and standards, but tended to be overly complex. Great when they worked, but they tended to stop working more and took longer to repair and to produce. Of course this means the AK's tend to be much less accurate a weapon compared to western types, but accurate enough.

*Chaton set is often reported as more "luxury" these days by various online expert types because they say it's more complex and labour intensive and it is, but the main reason chaton set was originally in play was because large scale manufacturing tolerances weren't so great in stamping directly into the brass plates and using a separate setting of softer material(gold or copper) and screw adjustment allowed for more leeway and easier fettling of the settings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

I'm probably late to the party but I've just seen the new 4 face Reverso, the Hybris Mechanica, what a stunning piece of design and engineering! I've found my grail...

Reverso.png

Perpetual calendar
    Tourbillon
    Minute Repeater
    Indicates when there are rare lunar events and eclipses

I'm totally smitten by it I have to say. JLC have built a very good product page you can scroll on desktop and see how the various functions work, well worth a look: https://hybrismechanicacalibre185.jaeger-lecoultre.com/en

Mother of God!!

I had read that in a few places about the Vostok's design on the seals - but equally I was impressed enough to have wanted it in the Equinox (before being foiled sadly by the tungsten requirement) - looser tolerances can be an intentional designed positive too - you wouldn't need a super precise rubber seal once you have a big chunk of it inside vs the small bit of o-ring in the one piece casebacks. So it doesn't necessarily mean the Soviets *couldn't* do it - but they didn't see the necessity to machine something so precisely (like the smaller o-rings in smaller grooves) when a massive slab of rubber seal was the better solution to the caseback problem.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/vostok-amphibia-an-analysis-of-design-methodology.491757/ - this thread might be useful to Fitz for why the Amphibia is considered a great dive watch (not just a great Russian/Soviet dive watch). I'd trust a 30 year old Amphibia more so than a 30 year old Rolex/Blancpain/Omega if I was going diving and had to rely on one as a tool.

Another thing it reminded me of was this: - T-34's "innovative" approach to keeping its links in the tracks attached (a bump to push in links)
    https://youtu.be/BRtj_TSOHjw?t=336

none of the fancy German double links, US sculpted links - the bump does the job and does it well - so why go for added expense? (like the commentator says - the tank or the links would be expected to be last 3 battles and need replacing afterwards anyway)

Though in the caseback's case I do think it's a superior design over single piece casebacks (Equinox II hopefully!)

It's kinda why wearing an Amphibia really should say to another WIS that "this person probably knows their watches".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have ordered a vostock...on rubber at wibbs advice in the least offensive dial/bezel combination...an Amphibian

I shall give its a good review, dont have high hopes, just need to learn to contain my excitement in the mean time.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Fitz II wrote: »
    I have ordered a vostock...on rubber at wibbs advice in the least offensive dial/bezel combination...an Amphibian

I shall give its a good review, dont have high hopes, just need to learn to contain my excitement in the mean time.
    What are you selling to make room for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

651-DFA81-A22-D-4046-9235-377-B97-E849-F8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've sent feelers out about a Ballon Bleu.... let's see what comes of it. I'm glad I posted now, focused my mind.

So I have two contacts on the lookout but nothing popped up yet. By total conincidence I had a meeting with someone today and she was wearing one with an alligator strap, my wife works with me and was in the meeting for a few minutes so I told her "Féach ar an t-uaireadoir sin, cad a cheapann tú?" The beauty of working abroad, we can speak discreetly. It was a no anyway, she wants a two tone watch. Back to the drawing board I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Jodie must be reading this thread

Advertisement