Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite verses / quotes from the Bible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Matthew 17:12

Boobies!

Banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

I've always been fond of John 14:1-4 as it reminds me of a song we used to sing in choir.

1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

9 "And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. 10 Consider now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a temple as a sanctuary. Be strong and do the work."

Indeed, this confirms the law of love. God knowing the heart behind the mind. The things hidden to man, are not hidden to God. Motive. The dishonest, the hypocites, the overtly showy off religious types. God knows what motivates us all, and it is this motivation that condemns or justifies. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!

John 8:58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tunamill

Thorn in the side, 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself!

Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Noble Knight

1 John 5-7

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

From my favourite book in the Bible; Ephesians

Chapter 1 v17-23

17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the SpiritURL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ephesians%201;&version=31;#fen-NIV-29208f"]f[/URL of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, 20which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

If there was ever a proclamation of faith, and a prayer that I would like answered in my life, it's this.

I was just discussing faith on another thread, and the scripture below came to mind. Just reading it again, it is a wonderful lesson. If we translate it into metephor for ourselves, we see that we can have faith in the safety of the 'boat', but when the 'winds' begin to blow, do we still focus on Christ in the distance, or do we falter and start to sink. Its certainly one I've registered to mind again. Praise the Lord.

Matthew 14
    22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance[a] from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
    25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

34When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. 35And when the men of that place recognized Jesus, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought all their sick to him 36and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

John 15:13 (King James Version)
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

JOB 3:14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

and quoted in the movie Man on Fire
    'be not overcome by evil - but overcome evil with good'...

a good example for me would be Mary Raftery writing the book 'States of Fear'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself... ”
    —Leviticus 19:18 KJV

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

jady88 wrote: »
    ...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself... ”
    —Leviticus 19:18 KJV
    Good one. I'm sure many(no one here of course) don't know it had OT origins.

Matthew 23:24 KJV
    Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Luke Kelly

John 17
    Jesus Prays for His Disciples

"I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iconicon

john 10:10 the thief(devil) comes to steal kill and destroy but i have come so YOU can have life and have it to the FULL

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Listening to radio while I surf ,Came across this station , very relaxing!!

http://txradica.net/tune.php?c=ucbireland&.wax=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

"The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." Deut 33v27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

St. John 13:34-35 -KJV "A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

GEN 1.31
    -"and god saw everything that he had made and behold it was very good and that evening and morning were the sixth day"

I always reminds me of waking up in a really good humour and looking out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iconicon

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

explains itself really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

John:6:51 "I am the living bread which came down from heaven. 52 If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. 53 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day."
    http://www.drbo.org/chapter/50006.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

"But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"
    Hebrews 9:11-14

"For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant."
    Hebrews 10: 11, 12, 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

I really like John:8 1-11. That section where Jesus challenges the people about to stone the adulterous woman with "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Then, when no-one stones her, He says "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' She replied, 'No one, sir.' Then Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin any more". (The last bit, about not sinning any more tends to get left out a bit, sometimes, in informal conversation, though. Missing the point.)

The reason I like it is that it gives hope to all us sinners. I'm surprised internet afficionados haven't picked up on it more. It gives an out for being a sinner and hope for the future on changing one's ways and has the internet-friendly shortening of John:8 111!!!

Perfect obedience is love - and love is perfect obedience.

...."If you [really] love Me, you will keep (obey) My commands".... John 14:15 The Amplified Translation

...."And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love [obey] God, to those who are called according to His purpose".... Romans 8:28 NASB

I really like John:8 1-11. That section where Jesus challenges the people about to stone the adulterous woman with "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Then, when no-one stones her, He says "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' She replied, 'No one, sir.' Then Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin any more". (The last bit, about not sinning any more tends to get left out a bit, sometimes, in informal conversation, though. Missing the point.)
    The reason I like it is that it gives hope to all us sinners. I'm surprised internet afficionados haven't picked up on it more. It gives an out for being a sinner and hope for the future on changing one's ways and has the internet-friendly shortening of John:8 111!!!

yeah, i notice that alot too. rather convenient to leave it out for some:)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

jbloggs wrote: »
    "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." Deut 33v27

Someone told me a story about seeing a gravestone that had written on it, "Underneath are the everlasting arms." I thought that was really beautiful, the kind of thing that would just stop you in your tracks and make you think. Also, there is a beautiful song by Mike Scott (of the Waterboys), called "Everlasting Arms".

http://www.youtube.ie/watch?v=Bc9Kjj1xHF8

Please check it out, very beautiful.

Soulish "lust" [the excessive desire for, and pursuit of, things that are apart from the Will of God] is the counterfeit of true, spiritual "passion" [devotion].

...."Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust".... 2 Peter 1:2-4 NASB

...."Hope deferred makes the heart sick BUT [godly] desire fulfilled is a tree of life".... Proverbs 13:12 NASB

...."The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life".... Proverbs 11:30 NASB

...."There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death".... Proverbs 14:12 NASB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Song Of Solomon 3
    1 All night long on my bed
    I looked for the one my heart loves;
    I looked for him but did not find him.

2 I will get up now and go about the city,
    through its streets and squares;
    I will search for the one my heart loves.
    So I looked for him but did not find him.

3 The watchmen found me
    as they made their rounds in the city.
    "Have you seen the one my heart loves?"...

Glass by the beautiful Bat For Lashes is loosely based on Chapter 3

• Advertisement

+ God has not and will not break His Word. If He just once broke His Word, all of creation would disappear (cease to exist). God established everything by His Word and it is maintained only by the fact that His Word is true and absolute.

Advertisement