Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite verses / quotes from the Bible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

JOHN 3:

16FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, THAT WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH,
    BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

Husbands "cherish" your wives. Wives "cherish" your husbands.

"cherish" - to hold or treat as dear; love; to care for tenderly; nurture;

This mystery is very great, but I speak concerning [the relation of] Christ and the church. However, let each man of you [without exception] love his wife as [being in a sense] his very own self; and let the wife see that she respects and reverences her husband [that she notices him, regards him, honors him, prefers him, venerates, and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves and admires him exceedingly]. [I Pet. 3:2]".... Ephesians 5:20-33 The Amplified Translation

O weary warrior, let go and let God! This battle is not yours but the Lord’s.
    Stand still and see His salvation!

Psalm 9:

1I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart;
    I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.

2I will be glad and rejoice in thee:
    I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.

3When mine enemies are turned back,
    they shall fall and perish at thy presence.

4For thou hast maintained my right and my cause;
    thou satest in the throne judging right

...."Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]".... Romans 12:2 The Amplified Translation

• Registered Users Posts: 13 juan 79

My favourite is from Jeremiah Chapter1 :"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee;and before thou camest forth out of the wombI sanctified thee,and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Blessed are the pure of Heart for they shall see God - Matthew 5-8

.."But if you are guided (led) by the [Holy] Spirit, you are not subject to the Law. Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies), envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence)".... Galatians 5:18-23 The Amplified Translation

."He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who is seeking the glory of the One who sent Him, He is true, and there is no unrighteousness in Him".... John 7:18 NASB

...."Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter".... Matthew 7:21 NASB

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Matthew 17 v20
    'I assure you that if you have faith as big as a mustard seed, you can say to this hill, 'Go from here to there!' and it will go. You could do anything!'

Matthew 21 v22
    'If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer'

1 Timothy 4 v12
    'Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, faith and purity'

1 Peter 3 v3-4
    You should not use outward aids to make yourself beautiful such as the way you do your hair or they jewelery you put on, or the dresses you wear. Instead your beauty should consist of your true inner self, the ageless beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit which is of the greatest value in God's sight

1 John 4 v19
    We love God because he first loved us

...."Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you".... Luke 10:19 NASB

"I [Jesus] do not receive glory from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?".... John 5:41-44 NASB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 itua

Mine is psalm 91. Its a psalm for protection. Then comes Psalm 51 for forgiveness of sin.

...."Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life][Matt. 12:37]".... Proverbs 18:21 The Amplified Translation

...."O LORD, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on Your holy hill? He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, and speaks truth in his heart. He does not slander with his tongue, nor does evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend".... Psalms 15:1-3 NASB

Mark 5:25-34 KJV

25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
    26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
    27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.
    28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
    29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
    30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
    31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
    32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
    33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
    34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

John146.gif

...."For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf".... 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 NASB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Matthew 10:34

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

Although there is the misprint argument "gaudium" -=joy with "gladium" = sword I take this that the "just believe and there you go" version isn't all there is to life.

Children need two things - love and challenge.
    If we raise kids wrapped in cotton wool they become soft and not prepared for challenge. If everyone was decent to everybody else then we would not have to suffer but if something is worth believing in it is worth suffering for. This verse suggests to me that people will reject a good message because of their own self interest and will seek to destroy and upset decent people. It also suggests that without challenge we stagnate. We have to fight and work on improving ourselves even if it requires outside assistance.

...."Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: 'The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues'".... Matthew 23:1-6 NASB

...."GOD IS [already] beginning to arise, and His enemies to scatter; let them also who hate Him flee before Him! As smoke is driven away, so drive them away; as wax melts before the fire, so let the wicked perish before the presence of God. But let the [uncompromisingly] righteous be glad; let them be in high spirits and glory before God, yes, let them [jubilantly] rejoice!".... Psalms 68:1-3 NASB

The moment that one turns from faith to speak words that are in alignment with what the Devil has done [or tried to do] is the very moment that they become part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

...."faith without works [words and actions that correspond with the Will of God] is useless".... James 2:20 NASB

...."Death and life are in the power of the tongue"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

PDN and I share a common favourite verse:

Luke 6:29 "Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either.

Psalms 27
    1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? *2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. *3Though an host should camp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

• Advertisement

If one is unfaithful to Me [and to My highest purposes] then it is certain that they will, ultimately, be found unfaithful to others in their sphere of existence. But if one is found faithful to Me [and to My highest purposes] then they will be found faithful [loyal] to the death [of self - or beyond, if necessary] where all those in their sphere of existence are concerned.

....""He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much".... Luke 16:10 NASB

"But they deceived Him with their mouth and lied to Him with their tongue. For their heart was not steadfast toward Him, nor were they faithful in His covenant".... Psalms 78:36-37 NASB

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

... Still I am confident of this, that I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living .... Ps 27

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

John Chapter 14 (1-3) is real nice.

1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You trust in God, trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house there are many places to live in; otherwise I would have told you. I am going now to prepare a place for you, 3 and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you to myself, so that you may be with me where I am.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Second Reading 2 of St Paul to the Corinthians 12:31- 13:8
    "Be ambitious for the higher gifts. And I am going to show you a way that is better than any of them.
    If I have all the eloquence of men or of angels, but speak without love, I am simply a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. If I have the gift of prophecy, understanding all the mysteries there~ are, and knowing everything, and if I have faith in all its fullness, to move mountains, but without love, then I am nothing at all. If I give away all that I possess, piece by piece, and if I even let them take my body to burn it, but am without love, it will do me no good whatever.
    Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous;
    love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offence, and is not resentful.
    Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.
    Love does not come to an end."
    We used this on our wedding day, it was used when we renewed our vows and I read it to our son when I was expecting him - it means a lot to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Second Reading 2 of St Paul to the Corinthians 12:31- 13:8
    "Be ambitious for the higher gifts. And I am going to show you a way that is better than any of them.
    If I have all the eloquence of men or of angels, but speak without love, I am simply a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. If I have the gift of prophecy, understanding all the mysteries there~ are, and knowing everything, and if I have faith in all its fullness, to move mountains, but without love, then I am nothing at all. If I give away all that I possess, piece by piece, and if I even let them take my body to burn it, but am without love, it will do me no good whatever.
    Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous;
    love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offence, and is not resentful.
    Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.
    Love does not come to an end."
    We used this on our wedding day, it was used when we renewed our vows and I read it to our son when I was expecting him - it means a lot to us.

One of my favourite scriptures, and also the best explaination of what Love is ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

"And the multitude shall be lifted up, and his heart shall be exhalted; and he shall cast down tens of thousands, but he shall not previal"
    Daniel 11:12

Its spooky how well it predicted mass movements and murders, even though the passage itself was not directly about that.

It inspired my poem above.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Genesis 22 (King James Version)

Genesis 22

1And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
    2And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
    3And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
    4Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
    5And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
    6And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
    7And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
    8And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
    9And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
    10And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
    11And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
    12And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
    13And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
    14And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
    15And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
    16And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
    17That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
    18And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
    19So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.
    20And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;
    21Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,
    22And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.
    23And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's brother. 24And his concubine, whose name was Reumah, she bare also Tebah, and Gaham, and Thahash, and Maachah.

Isaiah 53 (King James Version)

Isaiah 53

1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
    2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
    3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
    4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
    5But He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
    6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
    8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
    9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
    10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Psalm 22 (King James Version)

Psalm 22

(Jesus on the cross)

1My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
    2O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
    3But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
    4Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
    5They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
    6But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
    7All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
    8He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
    9But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
    10I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.
    11Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
    12Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
    13They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
    14I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
    15My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
    16For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
    17I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
    18They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
    19But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
    20Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
    21Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
    22I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
    23Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
    24For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
    25My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
    26The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
    27All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
    28For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.
    29All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
    30A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation. 31They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Also.....
    Galatians 3:16 (King James Version)

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to take warning.

- Ecclesiastes 4:13

Where there is much fear there is much pride - and where there is much pride there is much fear. Where there is much love there is much faith - and where there is much faith there is much love.

...."When swelling and pride come, then emptiness and shame [which is the the fruit of fear] come also, but with the humble [those who are lowly, who have been pruned or chiseled by trial, and renounce self] are skillful and godly Wisdom and soundness [well-being]".... Proverbs 11:2 The Amplified Translation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Todays Gospel at Mass is, in my humble opinion, the best lesson in the Bible.

Luke 16 : 19-31.

Advertisement