Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm too lazy to pirate anymore, I think the last thing I did was a Bioware game's DLC (not sure which ME3/2 or DA2). Whatever game it is I owned those all now.

If there's something egregious about a game or it's release I just won't bother or might wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

EoinHef wrote: »
    Like if I was broke I would pirate games and not feel bad about it. I'm certainly not rich but I dont mind spending a few bob on a game.

I'm on no high horse here,pirate away if ye want but saying epic exclusivity justifies doing it is just wrong.

Nothing justifies it, but there absolute reasons for why it happens. Not rocket science to figure out. Provide content in a good platform, don't pigeonhole your content in unique platforms trying to vie for additional $$$

Ends up forcing people to alternative methods.

Havn't pirated a game in probably 10+ years, same for music. Steam and Spotify key reasons for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

EoinHef wrote: »
    Like if I was broke I would pirate games and not feel bad about it. I'm certainly not rich but I dont mind spending a few bob on a game.

I'm on no high horse here,pirate away if ye want but saying epic exclusivity justifies doing it is just wrong.

Even if you're broke though, a bit of a wait and the price will come crashing down. Even the Paradox titles with their dozens of DLC's can be got for twenty pounds on Humble sales. It just works on Steam. I had to mod one game to make it work (Crysis) but that was an exception.

Or maybe I'm just too lazy to pirate.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    My yearly EA access auto renewed over the weekend, been meaning to cancel. Cant remember the last time I played something on their games list. Hate when that happend, oh well I suppose its only 25euro..:(

Fcuk sake, now it seems that EA Play is being added to Xbox game pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

The answer to Epic exclusivity is just to not buy the game. Pirating it isn't justifiable. It's not like you "can't" play the game, you're just choosing not to play it via that launcher.

Does it suck, sure, but either succumb and get the launcher, or boycott the game. I've just been doing the latter, the games can wait for me to be honest.

I too got stung by the EA Play thing though. Just paid for it the other day, auto-renew, even though I'm not sure I've ever even used it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May have been here but I read somewhere that If you've recently paid for EA Play and have Gamepass, then you'll get free extension to your gamepass sub. Though that may just be with XBox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A lot more than half a million?

That's a lot of money just for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I expected it to be more too given the number of games available on Steam.

I wonder how much it'd cost to buy one of everything stocked in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

According to SteamSpy there's 40,000 games on Steam. Which is a lot, but consider all the drek I actually thought there'd be more.
    So an average price of $12.50? Does that seem high?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spilled half a pint of water over my mechanical keyboard last night. Hoping it survives. Currently it's drying by the window. Have to go back to the old membrane keyboard and it's rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Spilled half a pint of water over my mechanical keyboard last night. Hoping it survives. Currently it's drying by the window. Have to go back to the old membrane keyboard and it's rotten.

Can you pull the switches out of the PCB or is it soldered?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I spilled a load of coke on mine before which would be worse, washed it out with tap water and then distilled water and then left it a week in the hotpress wrapped in a towel with a sock full of rice. Worked fine after that.

Unless it's very hard or fancy mineral water it should be fine to skip the washing out bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Path of Exile Heist out on Friday. There is a pre-launch patch available atm. Main changes are switching servers to speed up future patches and updates and speedier game load/texture load times. It requires a clean install as most if not all of the game dependencies have changed so if you are planning to play the new PoE league on Friday get the pre-update asap, should be less server downtime also.

notes: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2934311

• Registered Users Posts: 81,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Most mechanical gaming keyboards are designed with some spillage in mind, you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Overheal wrote: »
    Most mechanical gaming keyboards are designed with some spillage in mind, you should be grand.

I blew up mine a few years ago.

I spilled basically a whole mug of tea on it.

With a bit more understanding of how to fix them now, I might be able to avoid it if it happens again.

The main things are plug it out immediately, remove all the keys (you can use a paper clip fashioned into a loop, to hook around the key and lift them out, if you don't have the gadget that does it), dry it with paper towels or a microfibre cloth, dissassemble the body of it and check the circuit board for dampness.

If it's wet with something other than water, you definitely need to clean the board. Gently scrubbing with a mircrofiber cloth and some 90+% alcohol (the kind you use for cleaning thermal paste off processors, for example) should remove any residue from it.

And then you have to leave it dry for 72 hours.

Might seem like a faff, but I've a Cherry Keyboard and it cost about £80 or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems I acted quick enough. Disconnected it, turned the keyboard upside down and drained the excess water. Left it drying upside down for a day then the next day lying upright by the window sill. Working fine now.

Figured would ask the more knowledgeable people here, assuming I'm happy enough with 1080p and not worried about fancy things like ray Tracing, how long would a RX480 8GB gpu be good for going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Figured would ask the more knowledgeable people here, assuming I'm happy enough with 1080p and not worried about fancy things like ray Tracing, how long would a RX480 8GB gpu be good for going forward?

Depends on what you play really, Cyberpunk specs are out and are umm very low. So you would be fine for that, Ass Creed using the same engine as Odyssey so if you got 1080 high in that it should be fine.

Fs2020 you might get 2 fps, really depends on what you play and are intending to play.

Thanks. Just figure I'm in no rush to upgrade again anytime soon so will see how long I can get away with it.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

Im currently have a RX480 8gb installed. Upgraded a few years ago at this stage. Its played 99% of stuff decent. My problem I think is with my i5-2500K CPU @3.30GHz thats struggling. Only game that it could not run was Assassins Creed in Egypt.(What ever it was called) Ran Origins fine on medium.
    Dont have funds to buy new rig and not sure if its possible or a big ordeal to replace CPU, think I might switch to new Xbox Series S or X when it releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Similar specs and situation myself. Decided on a new build after AMD&Nvidia's new products are fully available in retail. Figure I might get a few hundred quid if I sell my current system to put towards the new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Glebee wrote: »
    Im currently have a RX480 8gb installed. Upgraded a few years ago at this stage. Its played 99% of stuff decent. My problem I think is with my i5-2500K CPU @3.30GHz thats struggling.

Yeah, the 2500k CPU is definitely the weakest part. I loved my 2500k and it served me well, but it's pushing 10 year old tech now, released in 2011 if you can believe it. You could overclock it if you have a decent cooler on it. Re-applying thermal paste could also help if temps are high.

A Ryzen 5 CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade would be best, even second hand older ones, but I understand the relucance.
    I upgraded recently to a Ryzen 5 3600,MSI Mortar Max Mobo & 16GB DDR4, for €400 and it's made a big difference to me when gaming. No more stutters and much smoother gameplay in newer games.
    I was glad I did, even though I'm still using a 6 year old R9 290.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

:pac:

I had her at 4.4Ghz for 5 years on old paste. Nay a bother to her!

Taylor365 wrote: »
    :pac:

I had her at 4.4Ghz for 5 years on old paste. Nay a bother to her!

Is the 2500k hard to overclock and is ther much risk?

I've a 8320. I'm sure it will become a hindrance at some point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can someone explain what the memes about the new nVidia card are about? I don't really get them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Think it's just the fact the 3090 is a very big card.
    From a quick google - "By far the largest is RTX 3090 - the card is 31.3 cm long, 13.8 cm wide and takes up to three slots on the motherboard. "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Edit:

Linus must be excited because he's not normally this annoying.

• Advertisement

I thought he'd retired. Glad he hasn't.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement