Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

hots wrote: »
    for all your elegent mental gymnastics your reading comprehension is lacking.

Should I get vaccinated? No. It's pretty black and white, I'm not sure why you're keen to defend it, he wasn't.

It's "elegant" ;)

I read just fine. You're just choosing to interpret Joe's words to suit yourself.

As he said himself, it's a different argument. And I agree with him.

If you think it's the same argument, take it up with him.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    There are plenty of mutations out there by now, they don't seem to be any more deadly than a year ago.

Same goes for flue. There is always a chance for another Spanish flue mutation to appear but we are not forcing the flue jab on everyone to prevent that

Covid is far more transmissible than the flu, so the more it spreads the more likely you are to have mutations that bypass existing vaccines. Reducing transmission means less chance of mutations hence the importance of good vaccine coverage to achieve herd immunity. It doesn't necessarily even have to be more deadly, it just needs to be enough to start infecting those who are vaccinated and we lose the progress we've made. I suspect follow up vaccines are going to be in development to boost immunity but reducing the chance of game changing mutations is incredibly important.

You're also not been forced to get any vaccine. If you're happy with limited travel and not being able to do certain things, that's something you're opting for.

Free speech doesn't mean speech free from all consequences

Plenty of pieces in reference to the Coronavirus have been removed from youtube and other platforms because it was bullsh1t misinformation

Being elected or not makes no difference

What Rogan said was incorrect and could lead to bad consequences in public health and he rightly got flack and back-tracked soon after.

You're also not been forced to get any vaccine. If you're happy with limited travel and not being able to do certain things, that's something you're opting for.

Agreed. If you are happy enough with the downsides of not getting vaccinated, you have that choice.

If you feel it your civic duty to get vaccinated, you can do so.

It should be the choice of the individual. Nobody should be forced.

glasso wrote: »
    What Rogan said was incorrect and could lead to bad consequences in public health and he rightly got flack and back-tracked soon after.

Case closed so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't say he wasn't responsible for what he says. I said he is not an elected official or a member of public office. He has no responsibility to you, I or the man on the moon.

He's a podcast host.

What does that even mean. He is responsible, but also he isnt. Which one is it?

You keep saying podcast host, like it is some get out of jail card. A podcast host is a broadcaster. He has a bigger audience then Ryan Tubrity, Tommy Tiernan, Graham Norton and Johnathon Ross combined.

Case closed so!

Must be reading up on your Aesop's fables :pac:

Case closed so!

Not really.

He has a bigger audience then Ryan Tubrity, Tommy Tiernan, Graham Norton and Johnathon Ross combined.

Good for him.

Makes no difference however.

Good for him.

Makes no difference however.

You are completely ignoring my point. He has a massive audience. But you are saying he isnt a real broadcaster. He is just a podcast host. He has a greater audience then legitimate television broadcasters. With that audience comes a responsibility for what he say. And you seem to agree

I didn't say he wasn't responsible for what he says. I said he is not an elected official or a member of public office. He has no responsibility to you, I or the man on the moon.

I would just like you to clarify what you mean. I don't understand how you can say yes he has responsibility for what he says. But in the next sentence say he dosent.

Thats makes no sense. I am trying to understand your point of view and struggling. Can you tease things out a little bit more for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Exactly.

As I said before, I disagree with him and i'll be getting vaccinated as part of my civic duty.

But it's an understandable and reasonable stance.

I said it was understandable, not reasonable.

You are completely ignoring my point. He has a responsibility for what he says. And you seem to agree

His words and actions are his. He is responsible for them. He produces them.

But he is not responsible to other people.

These are two different things.

If you're having issues understanding, I apologise. But i'm not responsible to you for this.

I said it was understandable, not reasonable.

You don't think it's reasonable.

I think it is.

Let's just leave it there.

His words and actions are his. He is responsible for them. He produces them.

But he is not responsible to other people.

These are two different things.

If you're having issues understanding, I apologise. But i'm not responsible to you for this.

Ok, I think I get what you are saying. He is responsible, but just to himself. Is that it?

You don't think it's reasonable.

I think it is.

Let's just leave it there.

Not yet. Lets get back to the hypothetical question I asked earlier. We all agree that it is an extreme example, and unlikely to happen. But it is a simplistic example, with little nuance or ambiguity we can get bogged down in and importantly it is a logical extension of the view that Rogan has no responsibility to anyone... other then himself (For MrStuffins)

Again suppose I am on the JRE and I mention Boards.ie, and Joe says "Hey, have you ever seen the posts by humberklog or MrStuffins. I hate that guy. I wish someone would punch him in the face and burn down your his house" Then proceeds to read out your address.

And one of Joe Rogans 11 million fans decides to call out to your house, punch you in the face and burn down your house.

You still think that Rogan has no responsibility for you or Humberklog being attacked and your house being burnt down?

We have gone through all your caveats MrStuffins. I cannot make it any simpler.

All I need is a one word answer. You don't have to justify it, if you don't want to.
    Yes or no.

What is it?

Not yet.

I was replying to another poster asking for he and I to leave it there.

I was replying to another poster asking for he and I to leave it there.

Understood.

I guess no answer, is an answer.

I am glad we can put to bed the "Its just a podcast, he isn't responsible for anything" argument.

I guess no answer, is an answer.

I am glad we can put to bed the "Its just a podcast, he isn't responsible for anything" argument.

Sorry, I was too busy living rent free in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Limiting personal freedom based on compliance to a non mandatory procedure is against the law, this is not how a free democracy functions.

If this is what you like you might enjoy China

• Advertisement

Limiting personal freedom based on compliance to a non mandatory procedure is against the law, this is not how a free democracy functions.

This is an even more basic scenario as Joe was only talking about an individual making a personal decision on vaccination.

I find it surprising that so many people are saying that someone having the right to chose whether they want to take the vaccine or not is not reasonable!

Sorry, I was too busy living rent free in your head.

That is great an all, but any chance you could answer the question?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Entertaining enough episode with Anthony Cumia. They touch on Responsibity a few times.

Joe does go on to condone riding a horse whilst drunk.

It'll be interesting to read the Washington Post's findings on the effect of JRE on the rise drunk horse riders bobbing home from the saloon.

humberklog wrote: »
    Entertaining enough episode with Anthony Cumia. They touch on Responsibity a few times.

It'll be interesting to read the Washington Post's findings on the effect of JRE on the rise drunk horse riders bobbing home from the saloon.

might have been an issue in 1870.

now, not so much

the WP have quite effectively made their case on JR in relation to a more relevant and impactful issue I think it's clear at this point :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: converse respectfully, if you're goading for a reaction, you won't be welcome here.

humberklog wrote: »

I would really like to tease out where you think responsibility stops and starts. We expect main stream broadcasters to be responsibly for there actions and the views, they promote. But we don't or at least some us of don't hold internet broadcasters with even bigger audiences to the same standard.

It just gets handwaves away with "he is a podcaster" or "it is the internet". With that in mind. Would you agree, that as posters on boards.ie. We are held even less accountable for what we say and what we post

Or are we treated differently? In your opinion?

Not if there's a public health concern and mandatory vaccines to travel to certain countries have always been a thing. If the US or any other country rejects people from traveling to there due to lack of vaccines, that's their absolute right. You know children get rejected from creches for not having up to date vaccines? Do you think they're breaking the law? If there's health grounds to do so then they tend to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Not if there's a public health concern and mandatory vaccines to travel to certain countries have always been a thing. If the US or any other country rejects people from traveling to there due to lack of vaccines, that's their absolute right. You know children get rejected from creches for not having up to date vaccines? Do you think they're breaking the law? If there's health grounds to do so then they tend to be legal.

All of the diseases for which we do mandatory vaccination when traveling have a higher death rate or have more serious health consequences than Covid, still none of them generates the type of mass hysteria that Covid does.

And if you have been vaccinated already you can be around infected people no probs, that's the whole idea of getting vaccinated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

All of the diseases for which we do mandatory vaccination when traveling have a higher death rate or have more serious health consequences than Covid, still none of them generates the type of mass hysteria that Covid does.

And if you have been vaccinated already you can be around infected people no probs, that's the whole idea of getting vaccinated.

Dunno about that Mic. You can still catch Corona when you're vaccinated but the risk of a bad dose/ death is lessened considerably.

Or at least that's how I've interpreted the message.

• Advertisement

Not for general travel but the immigration requirements to the US include the flu vaccine so y'know you're wrong. On top of that, plenty of countries are not gonna want unvaccinated people introducing new variants that will increase chance of bypassing herd immunity.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/laws-regs/vaccination-immigration/revised-vaccination-immigration-faq.html

On top of that you claimed it's against the law to reject people due to lack of up to date vaccines. We already do so in creches. We do similar with high risk professions. So yes, you have the freedom to not get the vaccine but by default, that's choosing to place public health measures at risk so restrictions on certain things can very much so happen.

You can claim it's overblown etc but 3.1 million people died in spite of the global lockdown. So yes, it's a sufficiently deadly virus. I imagine there's many on the site who know people who have died in the last year as a result or narrowly avoided death.

Advertisement