Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

the data doesn't lie

a couple of strawmans concocted by you to clasp on to in vain moving on from your original "master argument" that I didn't have an opinion when I showed that the genesis of the discussion was exactly my opinion with another poster.

a sorry state of affairs.

so what if there has been a degree of winding up - you have been doing your best, but not really good enough.

the summary is and remains ->

Rogan was wrong, was called out on it and back-tracked because he was getting flack.

From poll data over 10 months, Rogan podcast listeners have a higher degree of stupidity in comparison to non-listeners on the subject of accepting a vaccine.

and yes, for the good of others, as Rogan himself has said (eventually) "makes sense" that people should get the vaccine!

Hearing noise that the US is going to really struggle to get to herd immunity if ever get there. I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It might be time to agree to disagree guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hearing noise that the US is going to really struggle to get to herd immunity if ever get there. I wonder why.

I watch a decent amount of the american sports channels, the amount of ads they're running at the moment trying to pursuade people to get the vaccination is wild, and they are very obviously targeted too at the demographics with low uptake. They have the opposite probelm to us, loads of supply and no one to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hots wrote: »
    I watch a decent amount of the american sports channels, the amount of ads they're running at the moment trying to pursuade people to get the vaccination is wild, and they are very obviously targeted too at the demographics with low uptake. They have the opposite probelm to us, loads of supply and no one to take them.

There was a poll in March where 41% of Republicans said they wouldn't get vaccinated and 47% of Trump supporters said they wouldn't.
    That's borne out, to some degree, in some counties that voted strongly for Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I also read that Ohio are organising a lottery whereby those who get vaccinated are entered for a chance to win $1m.

There will be five winners, each winning $1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People who are not at risk of bad symptoms aren't' going to bother . Honestly I cant blame them

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    People who are not at risk of bad symptoms aren't' going to bother . Honestly I cant blame them

This is the thing.

If someone has a reason for not wanting to take it, it's completely reasonable for them to put their immediate health concerns ahead of the concerns of the fact that the person could potentially continue to spread Covid.

As I said, I am a young and relatively healthy man. I have no reason to take the vaccine other than the very slight chance I might get extreme symptoms and the fact that I will help stop the spread of the virus by taking it.

I will take it for the latter reason as I have no doubt that the science is sound and the vaccine is safe.

However, it's not my place to tell someone else who doesn't want to take it due to their own concerns that they should.

What Joe Rogan said was reasonable in my opinion, even if I don't agree with him.

MrStuffins wrote: »

What Joe Rogan said was reasonable in my opinion, even if I don't agree with him.

What he said originally or his revised statement?

I don't think it's reasonable. One of the main purposes of a vaccine is to stop the spread and protect everyone. Every able bodied person has a civic duty to take the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

If someone has a reason for not wanting to take it, it's completely reasonable for them to put their immediate health concerns ahead of the concerns of the fact that the person could potentially continue to spread Covid.

It’s understandable, but it’s wrongheaded, because the risks from coronavirus (even to younger people) are far greater than from the vaccines. But the main point is about herd immunity. It’s not ‘completely reasonable’ in a time of crisis to be entirely self-regarding.

And honestly in terms of public health, if people don't get vaccinated I think it's incredibly reasonable that countries block tourists who aren't vaccinated. In general, I wouldn't rule out certain settings not allowing unvaccinated people. You can apply a "me first" mentality but if we fail to achieve herd immunity and that makes it easier for an even more dangerous variant to prosper, then those applying that mentality have likely endangered plenty of people they care about.

So yep, Rogan really is a mix of terribly uninformed and just all round irresponsible. Has been the case for years though.

It’s understandable.....

Exactly.

As I said before, I disagree with him and i'll be getting vaccinated as part of my civic duty.

But it's an understandable and reasonable stance.

One of the main purposes of a vaccine is to stop the spread and protect everyone. Every able bodied person has a civic duty to take the vaccine.

Rogan agrees with you here. He says taking the vaccine to stop the spread "makes sense".

This is the thing.

As I said, I am a young and relatively healthy man. I have no reason to take the vaccine other than the very slight chance I might get extreme symptoms and the fact that I will help stop the spread of the virus by taking it.

I will take it for the latter reason as I have no doubt that the science is sound and the vaccine is safe.

However, it's not my place to tell someone else who doesn't want to take it due to their own concerns that they should.

Agreed.
    At the end of the day, if the vaccines are effective, once the at-risk people have been vaccinated, the spread of Covid shouldn't be a concern

Rogan agrees with you here. He says taking the vaccine to stop the spread "makes sense".

Now he does... after the backlash that made him say something different right?

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    At the end of the day, if the vaccines are effective, once the at-risk people have been vaccinated, the spread of Covid shouldn't be a concern

If only at risk people were vaccinated that leaves it wide open for mutations that end up making it more deadly... So no, the spread of covid would remain a serious concern. Vaccines are only as effective as their uptake.

Now he does... after the backlash that made him say something different right?

There's nothing to indicate he didn't think it made sense before.

As he said, the "stopping the spread" issue is a "different argument".

He said a young healthy individual does not need the vaccine. This is true. Society needs him to take the vaccine, but individually that person does not need it.

Taking it to stop the spread makes sense.

As I said, I don't need to take the vaccine personally, as an individual. Society will benefit from me taking it, and I will, but as an individual I don't need it.

There's nothing to indicate he didn't think it made sense before.

Other than him not saying it obviously... "If you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I’ll go no" it's pretty clear what he meant.

If only at risk people were vaccinated that leaves it wide open for mutations that end up making it more deadly... So no, the spread of covid would remain a serious concern. Vaccines are only add effective as their uptake.

There are plenty of mutations out there by now, they don't seem to be any more deadly than a year ago.

Same goes for flue. There is always a chance for another Spanish flue mutation to appear but we are not forcing the flue jab on everyone to prevent that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't agree and think that's nonsense.

It's a very different world in Podcasts and I think it benefits from the freedom and independence it gives its presenters and I don't think there's an elevation to responsibility because of the size of listeners. People listen to a show because it is the way it is.

Sorry, I just cannot get over what a ridiculous argument this is. If we were to make things a little simpler. Suppose I am on the JRE and I mention Boards.ie, and Joe says "Hey, have you ever seen the posts by humberklog. I hate that guy. I wish someone would punch him in the face and burn down your his house" Then proceeds to read out your address.

Now lets suppose one of Joe Rogans 11 million fans decides to call out to your house, punch you in the face and burn down your house.

Would you still think that what Rogan holds no responsibility for what you being attacked and your house being burnt down?

Sorry, I just cannot get over what a ridiculous argument this is. If we were to make things a little simpler. Suppose I am on the JRE and I mention Boards.ie, and Joe says "Hey, have you ever seen the posts by humberklog. I hate that guy. I wish someone would punch him in the face and burn down your his house" Then proceeds to read out your address.

Now lets suppose one of Joe Rogans 11 million fans decides to call out to your house, punch you in the face and burn down your house.

Would you still think that what Rogan holds no responsibility for what you being attacked and your house being burnt down?

using examples to illustrate your point isn't liked apparently "WHATABOUTTERY?!?! :mad: "

Other than him not saying it obviously... "If you’re like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I’ll go no" it's pretty clear what he meant.

What you've quoted above does not indicate that he does not think it makes sense to get vaccinated for the sake of society.

We'll just have to disagree here i'm afraid.

WHATABOUTTERY?!?!

What hots said.

You can try to draw a line between Joe saying a young healthy individual doesn't need the vaccine (which is true from an individual standpoint) and him hypothetically telling someone to burn someone's house down............ but they are not comparable at all.

Whataboutery gets us nowhere!

What hots said.

You can try to draw a line between Joe saying a young healthy individual doesn't need the vaccine (which is true from an individual standpoint) and him hypothetically telling someone to burn someone's house down............ but they are not comparable at all.

Whataboutery gets us nowhere!

No its not whataboutery, and if that is what you thinks hots is saying. Then you have very poor reading comprehension skills.

I am not interested in Rogans stance on who should get vaccinated. But I am interested in what people think his responsibility as a broadcaster is.

Hurberklog dosent think that Rogan or anyone else has any responsibility of duty of care for anything he says. You yourself said "He has a responsibility to nobody."

So I am just following that line to one possible conclusion. And using a very simplistic and clear cut example.

Do you think if Rogan said someone should burn down Hurberklog or MrStuffins house, and one of Rogans fans went and did it. Do you still think Rogan would have no responsibility for what happened?

So I am just following that line to one possible conclusion. And using a very simplistic and clear cut example.

It's a ridiculous example with absolutely no similarity to the real scenario.

It's a ridiculous example with absolutely no similarity to the real scenario.

No, it is not. You either think he has no responsibility for what he says or he doesn't. I am just expanding what you are saying by using a very simplistic but extreme example.

Does he have no responsibility in which case, it is not his fault your house was burnt down.

Or, he does have some responsibility for what he says.

Which is it?

What you've quoted above does not indicate that he does not think it makes sense to get vaccinated for the sake of society.

We'll just have to disagree here i'm afraid.

for all your elegent mental gymnastics your reading comprehension is lacking.

Should I get vaccinated? No. It's pretty black and white, I'm not sure why you're keen to defend it, he wasn't.

Seems like some people don't actually know what it means

whataboutery

nounBRITISH
    the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

• Advertisement

No, it is not. You either think he has no responsibility for what he says or he doesn't.

I didn't say he wasn't responsible for what he says. I said he is not an elected official or a member of public office. He has no responsibility to you, I or the man on the moon.

He's a podcast host.

Advertisement