Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R.I.P Stephen Hawking

• 14-03-2018 4:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.
    “We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

“He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

“His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

“He once said, ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him for ever.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Incredible man. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

One of a kind mind. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Presumed he was much younger. Feck.

giphy.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Big loss. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Very sad news, the man was a legend

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Here is a man who was dealt a horrible hand at life. Despite that, he refused to let it control him and made the absolute most of his life. As someone with a disability, he inspired me. As a nerd, his writings intrigued me.

A brilliant mind who lasted longer than anyone could have imagined. A great loss. Rest well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP.
    Inspirational figure in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Such an incredible figure with a vastly powerful mind. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

A great mind who'll be remembered for the way he overcame incredible adversity to live his life and exercise his talents to the fullest.RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Such an incredible man, may he rest in peace.

Always found it so crazy that the guy who had probably the most brilliant brain in the world ended up with the rest of his body being basically useless. It's like God saying, no one can have it all, there's a trade-off for everything. or something. It's just way too much of a coincidence to not be significant IMO.

I probably wouldn't understand most of his work, but enjoyed his Bang Theory cameos and also think we should give serious consideration to his warnings about AI and technology taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What a loss to the scientific community, and the world as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Great loss indeed.

Pity he never did stand-up....

Oh, never mind.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sad to hear this, he really managed to reach a huge world wide audience. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

His defence of universal health care in the UK and the NHS was truly admirable. RIP.
    DD938y_WXg_AAFl_FT.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

newsflash guys, hes not resting in peace, Steven Hawking no longer exists in this universe as Steven Hawking

its kind of sad in a way, people think of him as the famous computer voice in a wheelchair, but nobody here seems to be aware of what he was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s truly amazing how long he survived with that nasty disease.

RIP.

its kind of sad in a way, people think of him as the famous computer voice in a wheelchair, but nobody here seems to be aware of what he was talking about.

So you're taking the death of the greatest human mind on modern day earth, and one of the greatest in history... and using it to score cheap, narcissistic comments about how people only see him as a man in a wheelchair because they use a generic term to express acknowledgement of a death. Good job....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

R.I.P Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Impossible is nothing

• Advertisement

His theories on the Universe and black holes in particular will be of huge value in the future.

He also said he did not know if there was a creator. The Universe was so beautiful and exquisite that there might well be something.

He might know the answer now. We'll have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I was always interested in his theories and bought his famous book 'A brief history of time'.

It was an acclaimed book but a little too advanced for most people, including me, so he brought out a more layman's version 'A briefer history of time'.

No, still too advanced for my little brain but I got through it anyway even if I didn't understand it.

Mind blowing theories and explanations of physics and the universe in that book.

Great man, big contribution to our planet and may he RIP.

So you're taking the death of the greatest human minds on modern day earth, and one if the greatest in history... and using it to score cheap narcissistic comments about how people only see him as a man in a wheelchair because they use a generic term to express acknowledgement of a death. Good job....
    nope

just making an observation, no ego involved

i wonder if it was an elaborate hoax, his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent, some people have been known to fake a different ethnicity in order to progress in their careers

that was a joke

Rest In Particles

his physical condition gave him a lot of fame compared to his peers and many of them could be considered more intelligent

Name them for us.

Name them for us.
    if i cant name any doesnt that prove my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Name them for us.

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'll always remember Homer and S.H having beers.

Give us a few names of the peers you say are more intelligent.

Just one or two will do. Does not have to be a list.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
    Alexander Pope said it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was lucky to meet him once.
    The world was lucky to have him. A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

He was truly an amazing man. His mind will be greatly missed.RIP.

"I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first." -- Stephen Hawking

Give us a few names of the peers you say are more intelligent.

Just one or two will do. Does not have to be a list.

i can address this question more appropriately if you state your true motives, im not in the mood for futility

What a massive loss for mankind.

Not his greatest achievement by any means, but I love the time traveller party he threw in 2009:

https://vinepair.com/articles/stephen-hawking-time-travel-party/

Something does not have to be complicated to be ingenius.

As simple as it may have been, it has raised a very important question: why did no one turn up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i can address this question more appropriately if you state your true motives, im not in the mood for futility

Unless im mistaken, you've waited for a hagiograohic/ RIP thread on the man to criticise him, rather than starting a thread comparing him with his peers, in the several years you've had since youve had achieved this insight, and appear now unable to back up your claims.
    I could be wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Born in Kent but spoke with an American accent ..........pretentious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We are in the gutter, but some of us can see the stars.

RIP Stephen Hawking, the world's IQ has dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

There weren't other physicists of this generation more intelligent than him to the poster saying otherwise. Only people with more talent were from previous generations.

I worked through some of his papers in graduate school. There was one he wrote with Hartle on Quantum Gravity that took me a week to understand, he could do it in his head in minutes.

It's difficult to grasp how smart he actually was unless you know Theoretical Physics.

Unless im mistaken, you've waited for a hagiograohic/ RIP thread on the man to criticise him, rather than starting a thread comparing him with his peers, in the several years you've had since youve had achieved this insight, and appear now unable to back up your claims.
    I could be wrong of course.

he was not the smartest man alive, that doesn't take anything away from his achievements. he marketed himself very well. there are many people who share a similar opinion about him, youre welcome to use your favourite search engine to discover this

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking. altho they are intellectually on separate levels, fame amongst the general public can elevate a persons professional reputation above their peers

the guy was a genius, im just a guy on the internet with an opinion, regrettably it has been misunderstood as disrespectful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I really liked that dance song he did
    "Push me and then just touch me,
    til i can get my, satisfaction...satisfaction"
    He wasn't in the video though, just women using tools.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking.

Not even close...

he was not the smartest man alive, that doesn't take anything away from his achievements. he marketed himself very well. there are many people who share a similar opinion about him, youre welcome to use your favourite search engine to discover this

Neil deGrasse Tyson is this generations Steven Hawking. altho they are intellectually on separate levels, fame amongst the general public can elevate a persons professional reputation above their peers

I have asked you to name the peers you consider more intelligent.

Please do so.

If I had to name someone I would consider more intellectually capable I could name one - Carl Sagan.

Now i'm asking you to name these peers you consider superior intellects.

I'll accept a couple of names.

Not even close...
    agreed, but hes the most famous at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I always wonder how much more he could have achieved if he hadn't had his illness. RIP Stephen. You'll be shining down on us from the stars tonight. One of the all time great minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ah heor, youre around this place to know if you make a statement, you're expected to back it up, a "go google it" wont wash.

the guy was a genius, im just a guy on the internet with an opinion, regrettably it has been misunderstood as disrespectful

Im not sure did i/we misunderstand you, as much as you might not have articulated yourself properly and presented as disrespectful, but i take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Feck. Can we skip to the bargaining part of grief? I can think of one or three people the world would happily trade (and be infinitely better for it!).

A great mind (possibly made more so in part because of his struggle with the physical) with a cruel disease.

I cannot find a time of death anywhere but in the US format today just happens to be 3.14 2018 . ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Creator of the Daleks. Who will ever forgot his fitst appearance in 1975 in the episode Genesis of the Daleks.

The Time Lords will sleep soundly tonight.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.

RIP Sir.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Ah poor oul' Stephen. A great man. We'll never know what he would have contributed if he had had his full health.

AH answer:
    A terrible disease what with the slowly wasting away. My friend had told me that he wasn't too bad until he got his first wheelchair. The brakes weren't very good on it.....Doctors said he went downhill very quickly after that

Too soon?

Awful effort, get back to primary school with that craic

• Advertisement
Advertisement