Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

glasso wrote: »
    Highly annoying actress imo - even just annoying to look at before she starts speaking.

This movie was her high point really and has disappeared into minor exposure since. Not that I'm complaining about that.

Juno doesn't qualify for the concept of this thread really as it was well-reviewed / rated at the time....

I think that anything above about 55 or so on metacritic should be the exclusion bar for not being "under-rated"

Juno for example got 81 which is a very high score for a movie.

Just before she made the much better and little known Hard Candy

Agree with poster above that Event Horizons bad reviews are shocking and far play to whoever mentioned "13th Warrior" man what a forgotten gem

Also underrated is anything Ryan Gosling done before he became a.sex symbol like " Lars and the Real Girl" or " Believer "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate. A great film that was slated by critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Any Steven Segal film,
    I genuinely like Under Seige 2: Dark Territory - 34% on RT.

Bad guys doing bad **** on a train, and our hero, the ridiculously named Casey Ryback, saving the day.

What's not to love?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any Steven Segal film,
    No. Just no.

Have you see the more recent ones on the low rent channels ?

He uses body doubles for EVERYTHING he can get away with. If you can't see his face it isn't him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No. Just no.

He uses body doubles for EVERYTHING he can get away with. If you can't see his face it isn't him.

To be fair he's a big fat pensioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

onform wrote: »
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Great cast, Bill Murray is excellent.

I think the movie might have got a bit of a backlash critically due to high expectations because it was Wes Anderson's next movie after The Royal Tenenbaums, which had been a big hit.

Great soundtrack also.

I love that movie, I’m pretty sure they set out to make the worst produced movie ever, the sets, the continuity, rubbish. It works because of the crapness for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Lockheed wrote: »
    Uncut Gems, watched it and enjoyed it so much that I was genuinely surprised to see the reviews.

I thought this was great. Sandler was very good. And, not to sound too wanky, I thought the cinematography was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

No. Just no.

Not to mention of that reality show where he is with a sheriffs dept. doing busts. He clearly struggles to even get out of the police car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Archeron

Silent Hill, fantastic atmosphere. The second one is worth a watch too if only to see Russell Howard on fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Not to mention of that reality show where he is with a sheriffs dept. doing busts. He clearly struggles to even get out of the police car.
    The bloke's pushing 70, leave it out.

A true legend of '90s cinema!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

KungPao wrote: »

Ok and I won't mention Chuck Norris is way older and still run rings around him,lol.

KungPao wrote: »

Seagal is a weird fcuker if you read up about him

Prone to making a lot of sh1t up and the odd bit of multiple sexual harassment also

The only watchable flick with him was that one on the ship where he killed a guy by making a bomb out of a half-dozen eggs in a microwave

The Shawshank Redemption.

(Am I doing this right?)

But seriously, I have learned not to pay too much attention to horror movie review aggregates. A horror movie can be flawed in many ways and yet still be really good, it's a peculiar genre in that respect.

Also, I've noticed a general trend regarding review scores on the main sites (IMDB, Rotton tomatoes, etc) in line with new culture especially in the past year. If a movie ticks all the woke boxes, it will be highly rated. Might be a ****e movie though.
    So these aggregate scores are less reliable these days, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Con Air

Con Air is seen as a great stupid action movie

when i was twenty , i remember loving Armagedon , loved it the first three times i saw it , saw it several years ago and again recently , awful rubbish

i still love Con Air though

Your Face wrote: »
    Starship Troopers

viewed as a near classic

Lockheed wrote: »
    Uncut Gems, watched it and enjoyed it so much that I was genuinely surprised to see the reviews.

its great

Quandary wrote: »
    I absolutely loved Event Horizon and was shocked to see it reviewed so poorly.

ever see the uncut version , holy crap , its beyond disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ever see the uncut version , holy crap , its beyond disturbing

I have not :eek:

That's my Friday night movie sorted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Few films that were critically panned (that is the idea, right?) that I really liked are:

Far & Away

First Knight

Stayin' Alive

G.I Jane

Come at me bro! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Any Nicolas Cage film

• Advertisement

Babe: Pig in the City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Johnny English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The Village.

Absolutely loved it!!! M. Night Shyamalan loves a good twist

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Shawshank Redemption.

(Am I doing this right?)
    LOL way overrated.

If you only see one prison move watch Shawshank, because it copies from so many. . And all is through a nostalgia filter.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) was about contemporary stuff. Still one of the best wham lines at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Kangaroo Jack lol.

Few films that were critically panned (that is the idea, right?) that I really liked are:

Far & Away

First Knight

Stayin' Alive

G.I Jane

Come at me bro! :D

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c8d5b034-f74f-4938-aa15-f7bc20919f0a#/vHPhIU7e5A.copy

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Roger Ebert gave it 3 and a half stars out of four and IMD rates it as 7.8 so it is rated highly but for me The Game with Michael Douglas is still an underrated thriller that seems forgotten about and rarely referenced.

Would love to be seeing that first time again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Babe: Pig in the City
    Very dark for a kids' movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Heaven

I always thought it was very under rated apparently not.

I would be a fan of a lot of moody 1970s films and cinematography.

Advertisement