Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

Please do :D

I just put my 'rant time' for now into a post in the United thread, I'll try and do the Brendan O'Brien one tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Banzai600 wrote: »
    After Abbruzzese left , i left too.

The musical direction PJ took just wasn't for me, and the drumming was lackluster since then and pretty sloppy imo.

I don't have time to pick holes in this post as it would take way to long. I'll summarise by saying.... No.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Pretty good song. Like the change of tone.

Cameron imo stunted their growth creatively. Great drummer but he's too robotic. It took them 20 years to change up their sound and reinvigorate their style with Cameron.

Jack Irons was able to expand their artistic capabilities. He's a better fit then Cameron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Banzai600 wrote: »
    After Abbruzzese left , i left too.

The musical direction PJ took just wasn't for me, and the drumming was lackluster since then and pretty sloppy imo.

Thanks for weighing in on the last what...25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yes I preferred Jack Irons to Cameron, but it was also the change to the drum sound. It went much drier, flatter and "thuddy" than the crisp snares of Dave A and the nice roomy ambience that Irons had.

No Code and Yield both have great drum sounds. It's a pity they didn't do more with him; his drumming on Mirror Ball is also really good.

Agree with Cameron being robotic - many songs are just the same drum beat and the band playing around him (e.g. Light Years). Not I said many, not all.

• Advertisement

Kinda feel like they used Cameron to great effect on Binaural, and Riot Act to an extent. Then they settled into rawk band territory.

I think the last 3 albums have been great to mediocre (in that order) but I think a lot of that has to do with PJ wanting to reap the rewards of their longevity. Thus the last 3 are more legacy type albums, rather than anything overtly challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

fluke wrote: »
    Kinda feel like they used Cameron to great effect on Binaural, and Riot Act to an extent. Then they settled into rawk band territory.

I think the last 3 albums have been great to mediocre (in that order) but I think a lot of that has to do with PJ wanting to reap the rewards of their longevity. Thus the last 3 are more legacy type albums, rather than anything overtly challenging.

God, I can't say I'd put any of the last 3 in the great album category. Self-titled and Backspacer have some good songs, but some very average and below average. Lightning Bolt; what more can be said. I don't know how a quality band like PJ sat down on completion, reflected back on the tunes, and decided that Mind Your Manners was a good song. Or maybe they didn't but just decided "fu@k it, we have nothing else. Just go with it".

Ah well flasher tbh I just enjoy Avocado quite a lot, and sits as an anomaly of sorts between the 96-02 output and the pop rock of the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Filler, filler filler...……

You might get 1 killer album out of their last 3-4 releases !

Lightning Bolt - sound like Pearl Jam covering a Robbie Williams album.... Not 1 song liked.

Backspacer - not bad really , I don't know. I have 3 songs 'saved' to my 'Liked songs …

"Avocado " - 3 songs liked.... the rest …. Pah.

Riot Act - 6 songs...

No Code - 10 songs out of the 13 liked.....

Sometimes its better to just stop ….. so just stop.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

greenspurs wrote: »

Lightning Bolt - sound like Pearl Jam covering a Robbie Williams album.... Not 1 song liked.

Backspacer - not bad really , I don't know. I have 3 songs 'saved' to my 'Liked songs …

Riot Act - 6 songs...

Riot Act is my favourite pearl jam album, I'm delighted they didnt stop.

• Advertisement

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Riot Act is my favourite pearl jam album, I'm delighted they didnt stop.

Not mine. I like about three songs off that album. The fact that Vedder didn't lift his voice beyond a mumble most of the time really brings it down.

'Avocado' had great promise - World Wide Suicide, Big Wave - but I'm struggling to remember any other songs now without looking at the tracklist.

Backspacer was way better, and for me their best album since Yield. Unthought Known is fantastic.

Lightning Bolt - well. I was ok with Mind Your Manners, though I was sort of sick of that punky Spin the Black Circle style of PJ song. Sirens was "OK". Infallible was a good song, as was Yellow Moon.

I found Binaural a difficult listen at the time, but in recent years I've been playing it every so often. It's very mixed, but something like Sleight of Hand is an interesting listen. I prefer the slower ones to the fast ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not mine. I like about three songs off that album. The fact that Vedder didn't lift his voice beyond a mumble most of the time really brings it down.

'Avocado' had great promise - World Wide Suicide, Big Wave - but I'm struggling to remember any other songs now without looking at the tracklist.

Backspacer was way better, and for me their best album since Yield. Unthought Known is fantastic.

Lightning Bolt - well. I was ok with Mind Your Manners, though I was sort of sick of that punky Spin the Black Circle style of PJ song. Sirens was "OK". Infallible was a good song, as was Yellow Moon.

I found Binaural a difficult listen at the time, but in recent years I've been playing it every so often. It's very mixed, but something like Sleight of Hand is an interesting listen. I prefer the slower ones to the fast ones.

Avocado - Life Wasted, Marker in the Sand, Come Back, Inside Job, Parachutes are great songs

Backspacer - quality whole way through. Would gladly hear any song from it live.

Lightning Bolt - Sirens is the stand out, but Pendulum, Infallible are decent. Dont think this album works so well though.

I could handle less punky ones this time out. No surprise as my favourite types of their songs are Who You Are, Off He Goes, Thumbing my Way.

Very much enjoy this one, dont think itll be repeated too often through the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

greenspurs wrote: »

Riot Act - 6 songs...

True. You should probably stop posting in this thread, judging by this.

I always feel that people that dismiss Pearl Jam's 2000's work either haven't heard the albums or have an agenda.

-Light Years
    -Sleight Of Hand
    -Grievance
    -Save You
    -I Am Mine
    -You Are
    -Thumbing My Way
    -Life Wasted
    -Marker In the Sand
    -Unemployable
    -Arny Reserve
    -Against The Waves
    -Just Breathe
    -Force Of Nature
    -Mind Your Manners
    -Infallible
    -Pendulum
    -Getaway

Just a sample of some of the fantastic songs on those later-career albums, and could double the length of that list. Most bands would kill for songs of that quality and these songs allegedly come from a band past their best.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I always feel that people that dismiss Pearl Jam's 2000's work either haven't heard the albums or have an agenda.

Can you expand on this re: agenda? Long time PJ fan, so I'm curious.

-Light Years 7/10
    -Sleight Of Hand 8/10
    -Grievance 5/10
    -Save You 8/10
    -I Am Mine 8/10
    -You Are 8/10
    -Thumbing My Way 7/10
    -Life Wasted 3/10
    -Marker In the Sand 2/10
    -Unemployable 3/10
    -Arny Reserve 6/10
    -Against The Waves 4/10
    -Just Breathe 5/10
    -Force Of Nature 5/10
    -Mind Your Manners 2/10
    -Infallible 4/10
    -Pendulum 4/10
    -Getaway 8/10

Just a sample of some of the fantastic songs on those later-career albums, and could double the length of that list. Most bands would kill for songs of that quality and these songs allegedly come from a band past their best.

Maybe 1 or 2 could classify as being "fantastic".. . A good number of those sound like throwaway Dave Mathews songs

Got Some and Johnny Guitar are probably the best songs from Backspacer.

Can you expand on this re: agenda? Long time PJ fan, so I'm curious.

Maybe "agenda" isn't the right word, but I just find people that dismiss the band's later career to be pretty weird. I'm maybe a rare person that goes back to Ten probably less than any of the rest of their records, bar Lightning Bolt (which I like about half of, and hate Sirens with a passion).

Probably got a bit easily sparked by that person earlier! :D

True. You should probably stop posting in this thread, judging by this.

Salty?

I am allowed give my opinion , aren't I?
    Maybe try giving your opinion on PJ instead of other posters?

-Light Years
    -Sleight Of Hand
    -Grievance
    -Save You
    -I Am Mine
    -You Are
    -Thumbing My Way
    -Life Wasted
    -Marker In the Sand
    -Unemployable
    -Arny Reserve
    -Against The Waves
    -Just Breathe
    -Force Of Nature
    -Mind Your Manners
    -Infallible
    -Pendulum
    -Getaway

That was my point .
    From 5 albums you liked 18 songs ! ….

Too much filler unfortunately ..

• Advertisement

In fairness gs, joe said it was just a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Said it was a sample of "fantastic songs". I think that's stretching it a bit - Mind your manners??
    It's not a great indication where for every one song that is good, the next 2 are going to be average. From a band with PJs pedigree and potential.
    From my own point of view, I'd have Got Some on that list. Soft spot for that tune. And Come Back
    Ten is a classic rock album. They could never reach those heights. After that they had some good albums - with enough quality tunes to keep the momentum going - with the hope that they'd throw together Ten; Part 2 some time. But didn’t happen. Even now, in anticipation of a new tune, most of us are just hoping that it’s not going to be a dud. I’ve listened to it a few times, and I like it. First time in a while that I’ve felt a little excitement about upcoming PJ music.
    In reality, it’s the live setting that has kept PJ going. Phenomenal. With the 10 albums that they have, plus B-sides, plus good covers, they have a good 40 songs to make a very memorable quality gig.

…. "of FANTASTIC songs …………. ?

Music is subjective, people like different songs for different reasons.
    So that's why everyones opinion counts ?

Mine is as I have posted a few posts back.
    Too much filler...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Maybe "agenda" isn't the right word, but I just find people that dismiss the band's later career to be pretty weird. I'm maybe a rare person that goes back to Ten probably less than any of the rest of their records, bar Lightning Bolt (which I like about half of, and hate Sirens with a passion).

I don't really get it myself, I feel it's sort of akin to mega Star Wars fans never being happy with any of the output outside the original trilogy, probably in part due to the nostalgia factor but you can't re-create the past. I don't really have that as I only got properly into Pearl Jam after Backspacer and it's probably my fave PJ album as a result and while I found Lightening Bolt a pretty disappointing follow up, returning to it since I'm definitely less harsh on it.

The idea that all their post-90s material is average at best is nonsense imo but everyones got different tastes.

Id say you should 'expand' on that also !??? :confused:

Maybe you haven't liked/followed the band since the very start then if you do prefer the newer stuff? ?

From listening to a brief interview with Stone Gossard, it seems that DOTC is the most experimental song on the new album. The rest of the collection features "rock songs and ballads".

I've suddenly gone from the excitement of a new direction on this album, to the fear of Lightning Bolt: The Sequel.

I'm ok with rock songs and ballads, if they are good rock songs and ballads. And the production is good.

The production on DOTC seems a bit different, so hopefully that'll carry through to the rest of the material. I'm not expecting 12 classic songs on there, but let's hope for at least a few good ones. And the cover art is nice - the last few albums have had pretty awful artwork. Hopefully the overall "package" will be worth it - hoping the vinyl has some nice artwork inside.

I'd say the peak of the quality was the run of Ten / Vs / Vitalogy / No Code / Yield. After that it went a bit downhill, but came back with Backspacer which was a tight, consistent album, that had a bunch of really good songs. Lightning Bolt was a step backwards.

Ten through to Riot Act great. Avocado solid as is Backspacer (if a little slight) and then Lightning Bolt which is patchy.

All there is to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Bit too much slagging off of Matt Cameron here for my liking. Great drummer. Listen to some bloody Soundgarden and realise how good he is. Love the new song, especially the anrgy-ish vocals from Eddie. Severed Hand is my favourite song from PJ from recent albums. Great intro, guitars and vocals. Oh man to hear it live again!

• Advertisement

Bit too much slagging off of Matt Cameron here for my liking. Great drummer. Listen to some bloody Soundgarden and realise how good he is. Love the new song, especially the anrgy-ish vocals from Eddie. Severed Hand is my favourite song from PJ from recent albums. Great intro, guitars and vocals. Oh man to hear it live again!

He was fine with Soundgarden. But he was always the SG drummer right? So there was no one to compare him to.

PJ had arguably the best drummer in 90s alternate rock (Dave A) playing across two albums and live shows. We're still talking about him so he must've been good. :)

Advertisement