Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Does DL8559 always leave from Terminal 1? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ruu wrote: »
    Does DL8559 always leave from Terminal 1? Thanks.

Yes.

It's an Air France flight to Paris (operated by Cityjet) which has a Delta codeshare flight number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hi all,

I've been looking at flights to New York recently and noticed that there are many options to fly into LCY and then fly out to your ultimate destination from LHR. The thing is, there is no direct connection via bus or train between LCY and LHR.

There is a way to connect using the tube and various connections but I wonder if it is really feasible. A direct flight from Dublin clocks in at €800 whereas one that goes through LCY and LHR comes in at almost half of that.

Has anyone done it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Fabio wrote: »
    There is a way to connect using the tube and various connections but I wonder if it is really feasible. A direct flight from Dublin clocks in at €800 whereas one that goes through LCY and LHR comes in at almost half of that.

Not an answer to your question, but I'm stunned that there's that much of a saving given what UK APD costs.

Have you looked at all the operators going into New York (or Newark) from Dublin rather than just Aer Lingus?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not an answer to your question, but I'm stunned that there's that much of a saving given what UK APD costs.

Have you looked at all the operators going into New York (or Newark) from Dublin rather than just Aer Lingus?

BA price flights ex-Dublin very competitively to try and get the business.

OP - surely there are direct connections via BA flying from Dublin to Heathrow that are priced similarly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That cross London journey is so unpredictable as to be quite risky when it comes to connecting flights... guess thats why its so cheap.

Logical bet is to DLR from LCY to Bank, District line from Bank to South Kensington and then Piccadilly Line to LHR T5. Nightmare of a trip.

Edit: If you do this on the way BACK, you could just book an AL/BA flight on its own from LHR to DUB and just not show up for the LCY to DUB connection (provided you can get your luggage etc). Don't do this unless its your last sector though, or they'll offload you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hey all, thanks for the advice. I checked all of the operators out of both Shannon and Dublin for direct stuff (and Cork as well for connections) but Aer Lingus, United, Delta, AA....they're all filling planes easily and the prices were steep for my dates.

Instead I just hung tight and Virgin came up with a good price of €500 return from SNN-LHR-JFK and back from IAD-LHR-SNN. It was significantly lower than going direct and I'd normally rather go direct.

Still, I saved a few bob and am excited about flying on the A340-600 on the way over! Never been on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I tried the DUB-LCY-LHR connection during my last trip, the DLR trip was easy, but the tube was a bloody nightmare, the stations that i used didn't have escalators or elevators, so i had to drag my two extremely heavy bags up and down stairs, it really isn't something that i would recommend nor attempt again unless I intended to get a taxi directly between the two airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That cross London journey is so unpredictable as to be quite risky when it comes to connecting flights... guess thats why its so cheap.

Logical bet is to DLR from LCY to Bank, District line from Bank to South Kensington and then Piccadilly Line to LHR T5. Nightmare of a trip.

Edit: If you do this on the way BACK, you could just book an AL/BA flight on its own from LHR to DUB and just not show up for the LCY to DUB connection (provided you can get your luggage etc). Don't do this unless its your last sector though, or they'll offload you!!

The only good thing about booking it all through BA is that they have to accommodate you on the next flight from LHR if you miss the connection.

Also, they can penalise you if you don't take the full schedule on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can they? How do they penalise you?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Yep.. if you miss any part of your journey, airlines have to right to cancel the remaining portions of the journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

conor_ie wrote: »
    Yep.. if you miss any part of your journey, airlines have to right to cancel the remaining portions of the journey

That's why he said make sure it's your last sector.

Can they? How do they penalise you?

I read the ba forum on flyertalk quite a bit and there's a travel agent who was hit by a huge fine booking flights like this and people missing out the last sector (the lon to dub sector). It's also happened to normal fliers too. They charge your card the full amount for what the flight would be missing out the dub sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

THat would be a horrible way to do it; DLR to CAnning Town then Jubilee to Green Park followed by Piccadilly to Heathrow would be a more advisable route - I live at Green Park and do either end (but not both) of this journey on a regular basis. UK APD will not apply to this flight because it originates and terminates outside the UK.

OP - are there no BA to LHR options showing for connecting flights? These would generally be a much much simpler connection although may be correspondingly more expensive. BA flights from Ireland arrive into T5A ie the main part. It is often easier to go straight out of the airport then head upstairs to departures rather than use flight connections although if your connection is tight, flight connections is more sensible as you will male conformance even if you don't make your aircraft.

Remember that you will have to clear immigration in the US not DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

January wrote: »
    Nah, I flew on a BA 747 last year, now they're ancient.

I'd rather fly on a BA747 across the Atlantic than a AA/EI 757-200, I'll give you that one, the 747's are definitely older than than the 757's!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They charge your card the full amount for what the flight would be missing out the dub sector.

Can you provide some backup for that? I wouldn't imagine that's legal, you pay for a service, if you decide at any point not to take up further flights they are within their rights to cancel further legs in the booking but certainly not within their rights to charge you an additional fee for missing the dub, or any other, sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Nah, I flew on a BA 747 last year, now they're ancient.

They maybe ancient, but they're still "The Queen of the Skies", to my mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Inquitus wrote: »
    Can you provide some backup for that? I wouldn't imagine that's legal, you pay for a service, if you decide at any point not to take up further flights they are within their rights to cancel further legs in the booking but certainly not within their rights to charge you an additional fee for missing the dub, or any other, sector.

This would all depend on the type of ticket you purshased. Flexible fares are usually more expensive, but with T&C's that have a reasonable amount of wriggle room. Then there is the low cost/no frills/budget" type offerings, which usually contain very ridgid T&C's, with no wriggle room and penalties if not fully complied with.

Which ever you have decided to purchased it up to you to comply. It might sound tedious, but always read the "fine print" and know what you're getting into.

Inquitus wrote: »

Sorry, I should have clarified that I assumed that's what happened, not that that was what actually happened. The proof of the TA being fined for it though is on a big thread on the BAEC forum on flyertalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I done LCY to Paddington a couple of times before DLR to Canning Town -Jubilee line to Baker Street and then Bakerloo line to Paddington. Once there I would get the Heathrow Express to Heathrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I flew BA LHR-DUB through T5 for the first time last week. Photo taken at Security entry but at no point was I asked to produce ID, in fact, at the Gate we were specifically told that no ID was required and just to concentrate on putting our feet on the yellow markers and look at the camera. (You have to do a 180, well a 160, to look at the camera :))

Is this normal procedure? On hundreds of flights UK-IRL EX LHR T1, LGW, STN, LTN, BHX, MAN etc I can't ever remember ID not being requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is normal procedure for BA. I assume your hundreds of flights previously were on other airlines?

It is normal procedure for BA. I assume your hundreds of flights previously were on other airlines?
    Thanks for replying but I assume you meant to say "It is normal procedure for BA since LHR-DUB moved to T5" because I flew countless times LHR-DUB with BA up to the day they left T1 and always, without exception, had to produce ID at the Gate.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I flew BA LHR-DUB through T5 for the first time last week. Photo taken at Security entry but at no point was I asked to produce ID, in fact, at the Gate we were specifically told that no ID was required and just to concentrate on putting our feet on the yellow markers and look at the camera. (You have to do a 180, well a 160, to look at the camera :))

Is this normal procedure? On hundreds of flights UK-IRL EX LHR T1, LGW, STN, LTN, BHX, MAN etc I can't ever remember ID not being requested.

Did you check in online or at a desk at the airport?

BA/bmi certainly did not always do passport checks at T1.

The photo check at security/gate is nothing to do with the airline but rather it's a check by the UK Immigration authorities on all domestic/CTA passengers making sure that international transit passengers are not circumventing immigration.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Did you check in online or at a desk at the airport?

All previous occasions BA (and previously BMI) it was a mixture of online and check-in machine at T1. This time it was at a check-in machine at T5. Can't even remember when I was last at a check-in desk it's so long ago.
    BA/bmi certainly did not always do passport checks at T1.
    In my experience they always did at the gate on boarding. On one occasion my passport was away for renewal but they accepted my Driving Licence instead (As did DUB Immigration + Boarding Card).

Not making a big fuss about this but was just curious because this was the first time ever (since security became such a big thing) that no ID was requested.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    All previous occasions BA (and previously BMI) it was a mixture of online and check-in machine at T1. This time it was at a check-in machine at T5. Can't even remember when I was last at a check-in desk it's so long ago.

In my experience they always did at the gate on boarding. On one occasion my passport was away for renewal but they accepted my Driving Licence instead (As did DUB Immigration + Boarding Card).

Not making a big fuss about this but was just curious because this was the first time ever (since security became such a big thing) that no ID was requested.

No they certainly did not always check ID at the gate in T1 - plenty of times I boarded with no ID check at the gate on bmi flights.

It's less of an issue I guess given that it's either a CTA or UK domestic flight (same procedures apply to both), and you have the double photo check. If you make it to the gate and your photo matches with the first one, then you have either made it through UK immigration or come from landside UK.

If you are an Irish or UK citizen you don't need a passport, so a driver's licence is sufficient ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Trying to see how busy T2 will be on Sunday at 4PM when I fly but I cannot get a definitive listing of all flights leaving at this time. Does such a listing exist?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

boccy23 wrote: »
    Trying to see how busy T2 will be on Sunday at 4PM when I fly but I cannot get a definitive listing of all flights leaving at this time. Does such a listing exist?

Look at DAA website and just filter for all departures on Sunday.
    T2 is a lot quieter in the afternoon. Majority of long haul flights are pre-12pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am thinking of flying from Atlanta to Berlin (Tegel) and the stop is in Amsterdam, most of the flights have a layover of between 1hr-1h 30 mins in Amsterdam. Is this too short to clear? I'll only have cabin baggage I expect. I have never flown or connected into AMS. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ruu wrote: »
    I am thinking of flying from Atlanta to Berlin (Tegel) and the stop is in Amsterdam, most of the flights have a layover of between 1hr-1h 30 mins in Amsterdam. Is this too short to clear? I'll only have cabin baggage I expect. I have never flown or connected into AMS. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Same ticket?
    I've had family members transit AMS with a connection time of 1hr 10mins before and they made it fine with only a little stress. If possible though select the longest stopover to cater for possible delays. Is it the same terminal?

Advertisement