Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

the new zealand situation is not in any way similar to ours.

The point being that its part of a larger conversation which is being selectively taken out of context.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    In fairness, as has been pointed out earlier, Ireland doesn't need fighter jets, Ireland needs interceptors.

It is highly unlikely Ireland would need to establish air superiority, it only needs a deterrent to intercept and ward off encroachers.

As such, a pair of something like Rafales or Gripens would more than suffice. Both are good multi-role fighters, but not the out and out air to air fighters like a Flanker family or the Typhoon....

We are unlikely to need a BVR missile for policing the airspace.

The problem is what we really need is a modern version of a F-5 Tiger II. I'm open to correction, but anyone with viable airframes, have modernized them and kept them. Some even with BVR systems. Otherwise there is nothing equivalent. In lieu of that some are making the jump to the Gripen. But that is a expensive option.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37151/brazils-upgraded-tiger-iis-might-be-the-most-capable-f-5s-in-the-world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The cost of a Gripen is about the same as that of an A320, especially if you haven't done a deal with Saab. The Irish State managed to find the money to buy them new when they owned Aer Lingus and plenty of 737s and 747s before that so it's not a question of being able to afford it. We, the State, can,but don't want to. Nothing stopping you leasing fighters from Sweden/Saab,given that we are world leaders in aircraft leasing. Operate them on an "if you break it,you pay for it" basis. Failing that,buy second hand F5s, Mirage 2000s or Brazilian AMXs, after you buy decent primary radar. Base them in Shannon, Cork or even Knock and you'd cover all of the island so that an aircraft on QRA can be over any part of the island inside 20 minutes. This stuff isn't difficult,it just takes political will to say yes and the willingness to be fitted out and trained by outsiders, including the UK, who are rather good at QRA and air defence in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is no point buying anything that is obsolete and F5s certainly are that.

The most basic useful specification would be some used F-16s (mid block). Anything less and you might as well have nothing. Portugal use them and although they are in NATO, they would have similar domestic requirements to ourselves.

A lease agreement like the Czechs have wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility, but lets not draw parallels with the purchase of airliners. There aren't 1,000 people a day paying back the cost of military aircraft, its an entirely different financial model.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The cost of a Gripen is about the same as that of an A320, especially if you haven't done a deal with Saab. The Irish State managed to find the money to buy them new when they owned Aer Lingus and plenty of 737s and 747s before that so it's not a question of being able to afford it. We, the State, can,but don't want to. Nothing stopping you leasing fighters from Sweden/Saab,given that we are world leaders in aircraft leasing. Operate them on an "if you break it,you pay for it" basis. Failing that,buy second hand F5s, Mirage 2000s or Brazilian AMXs, after you buy decent primary radar. Base them in Shannon, Cork or even Knock and you'd cover all of the island so that an aircraft on QRA can be over any part of the island inside 20 minutes. This stuff isn't difficult,it just takes political will to say yes and the willingness to be fitted out and trained by outsiders, including the UK, who are rather good at QRA and air defence in general.

There isnt the political will or the social pressure required to get support for this. There would have to be a greater interest in both Irish military tradition and interest in policing our territorial waters and airspace. I just don't see any appetite for it.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    There isnt the political will or the social pressure required to get support for this. There would have to be a greater interest in both Irish military tradition and interest in policing our territorial waters and airspace. I just don't see any appetite for it.

I was at the Galway Air Show a number of years ago(in uniform). The number of people protesting the presence of the Red Arrows was eye opening. Nevermind there not being political will for fighters here, the backlash would be huge.

I'd love to see it, but I can't see it happening. The best we can hope for is some decent naval ships and even then I'd be hoping for Island-class patrol vehicles, not destroyers.

A lease agreement like the Czechs have wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility, but lets not draw parallels with the purchase of airliners. There aren't 1,000 people a day paying back the cost of military aircraft, its an entirely different financial model.[/QUOTE]

My point on cost is that we can afford it,especially by leasing fighters. A fighter might not repay itself by shifting punters or cargo but that also applies to every soldier we employ and every gun we own. They justify themselves by being there for our defence. Like the SAR helis, you pay for them because you need to. As for F-5s, you lease or even buy them for five to ten years and then throw them in the bin. I suggested them because they have two engines. If you want a fighter pilot to go two hundred miles out to sea to eyeball the Russians, then you need to give him the means to get home if one engine fails. What you need to do is build up the corporate experience of combat aircraft operations,for pilots, techs, supply personnel and the appropriate fighter control system.That takes time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

F-5s would not be a good idea, IMHO.

At least a generation too old.

At the very least, F-16s could be considered. As for a single engine plane, there are lots of examples of carrier going planes that are single engine, so I wouldn't worry about that as long as they are quite modern.

Engine reliability these days is vastly in excess of what it used to be.
    However, that still means you could buy or lease second hand Rafales from Dassault and it would be a nearby source of support, maintenance and training.

However, I'm sticking with my original recommendation of Gripens, because Saab. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I see we stole/bought blueprints for the F22 and F35 . Bit ambitious to start building them but fair play to the government.

• Advertisement

F5s are useful for three things.

Training, display aircraft (airborne and gate guardian) and for a heavily sanctioned Iran to reverse engineer into a rubbish domestic product called the Saqheh 80.

And with the arrival of the Saab-Boeing T7 even its training duties are about over.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There is no point buying anything that is obsolete and F5s certainly are that.

The most basic useful specification would be some used F-16s (mid block). Anything less and you might as well have nothing. Portugal use them and although they are in NATO, they would have similar domestic requirements to ourselves.

Portugal military is spend is four times Ireland.
    Running costs of a Gripen would be half that of a F16 for pretty much the same capability.

Can't find any figures for the running cost for anything cheaper than the Gripen, light attack jets etc. I would assume they are half that of the Gripen, Though the more complex you make them the more expensive you can make them.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Get the F5 out of your head, its a huge backward step, that would be more costly to maintain than a modern leased aircraft. It came from a time before the last military jets we retired from service 20 years ago. The most modern version first flew 50 years ago. In service for the most part the F16 replaced it.

The F5s are too old, and you won't get them. Current operators are buying them to keep their existing fleets going until they can be replaced.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37151/brazils-upgraded-tiger-iis-might-be-the-most-capable-f-5s-in-the-world

Even the US is starting to think that it needs more cheaper aircraft than fewer more expensive aircraft. Which is why its looking at new build F15EX and even thinking of a new generation F16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    I do think if a capability review of the offers was weighted towards running costs and actual proven compatibility with Finnish needs, which are similar enough to Sweden's even down to their military cooperation and past Saab use (albeit quite historic now) that the Gripen E would win the bid.

Its hard to see past a US win here tho, even the German's are buying US if the current rumours are to be believed.
    F18E/F are likely the choice there to add EAD suppression and keep nuclear capability post Tornado's final retirement.

I know I said above that its hard to see past a US win in this tender.
    But!
    Saab and Sweden if reports are to be believed have offered what could well be a fantastic sweetener to Finland IMO
    Sweden’s entry of the Gripen fighter is notable from a regional and political perspective. The country’s top officials have publicly assisted Saab in making the case for extending the Sweden-Finland alliance into a de facto, singular air force of Gripens that commanders could interchangeably use across both nations to ward off an invasion.

From a strategic, tactical, interoperability, training and resourcing standpoint this offer by Saab is a masterstroke IMO.

I know its not exactly Irish jet news, but in the longer term a Finnish Gripen buy improves economies of scale and further allows investment in the Gripen E/NG platform to add capability.

Now as I mentioned a long way back in this thread, I think an air policing model similar to Iceland and the Baltic states would serve us far better in the long run.

Buy a primary radar, allow our ground crews to develop skillsets in supporting fast jet ops rather than leap in to operating an airforce with zero actual experience in anything other than FAC.
    It also allows funds to be targeted towards an Airlift capability which is sorely needed.
    We need to define our actual strategic aims and deficiencies and direct our resources towards those.

We have a capable but small army that deploys overseas, we have a well developed NGO sector that often undertakes emergency overseas supply missions.
    We have no native airlift capability to support those ops.

We have an enormous and quite strategic EEZ, maritime patrol both aerial and naval should be a priority.
    Improve the radars and the actual armament of the current fleet and if possible provide at least a modicum of air self-defence capability.
    Start small and develop the capability, fund the MRV buy and further develop our ability to transport and support overseas deployments and perhaps take a stab at ditching the AW139s completely and replace that fleet with a maritime capable helo that would allow a combined Air corp/Naval service helicopter service to improve further the capabilities on offer.

Whatever we buy, we must we absolutely have to ensure its an actually capable platform and not allow ourselves to be a guinea pig again.

guinea pig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

guinea pig?

The Irish have a tendency to buy big ticket items as a 1st operator.
    The AW139s for example. Not actually fit for our use, and a brochure buy as the 1st military customer rather than meeting a defined tender spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭roadmaster

That's what happens when you use bing instead of Google when researching military purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭sparky42

Dauphins too. Our version was unique to us. Nobody else used a Naval Dauphin with a search radar that also did SAR.
    I believe the RG32 is unique to us also. Another lemon.

What I’ve never understood is that we have multiple neighbours who we could leverage off and yet we still end up we our odd jobs...

roadmaster wrote: »
    That's what happens when you use bing instead of Google when researching military purchases

Do you think DOD have moved out of dial up yet?

Eithne was designed around the Lynx, the UK flew Lynx, the Belgians and Dutch (who advised us on the building of Eithne) were also Lynx operators at sea. France had only started deck trials with Dauphin months before our Dauphin was ordered.
    Seems the DoD are the kind of folk who think the salesman is actually your friend, and everything in the brochure is true.

True enough, and they don’t seem to learn much from it each time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The last 4 ships built for the NS are designed for, but not with Air search radar. In the Past L.E Eithne used her Singnaal DA 05 radar (Same as used on Giraffe)to great effect during the visit of Clinton & Bush, parking itself in the Shannon Estuary and if nothing else, giving those on the ground a picture of what was flying without having to rely on ATC.
    Modern Solid state or 4D surveillance radars could provide a much better picture, and take up less space too. All the plumbing is there for them, they just need to plug & play. Something like the Thales NS50 for example.

using the few ships we have as radar pickets would be a waste of resources. Plus we would need 3 of them permanently stationed off the west coast to cover our western seaboard.

• Advertisement

The PC-9 was 30km from the base and at a suitable height to glide home and it was a lucky, well handled event. If it had been 50 km from home, we'd be looking at a smoking hole and Martin-baker ties for the pilots. PC-9s are good but they are not magic. As for twin engined fighters, they tend to have their engines inspected and serviced by parallel teams of engineers, to prevent servicing errors, copying the ETOPs practise of the airlines and they also have the benefit of titanium firewalls and bulkheads between the engines so the chances of one engine killing the other are rare,much rarer than the perennial birdstrikes that routinely bring down aircraft. While I have a great deal of faith in jet engines, I tend to have greater faith in two,especially if I, as a hypothetical pilot, was tasked to nip up to Rockall to have a look around or go and liaise with a naval vessel somewhere in our EEZ. Which ties in neatly with the elephant-in-the-room SAR question....if we, the people, suddenly got ourselves some fighter jets, would be be able to also have the SAR resources go support them in the event of one of them going down at sea? .......historical note: I recall at least two events when our Fouga pilots were mighty glad to have a second engine to get them home after suffering engine failures, one to a bird and one to a mechanical failure. One happened over the airfield and the other some distance away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

banie01 wrote: »
    The Irish have a tendency to buy big ticket items as a 1st operator.
    The AW139s for example. Not actually fit for our use, and a brochure buy as the 1st military customer rather than meeting a defined tender spec.

What else have we had as being the "Launch Customer"? Interested to know.

Psychlops wrote: »
    What else have we had as being the "Launch Customer"? Interested to know.
    The Daulphin's for the Air Corps, think the CASA's might have been similar (though I'm open to be corrected there), the RG 32M for the Army.

The Casas were a problem child at the beginning but thankfully have matured. The RG 32ms were a modification of a previously proven design but are trying to be too much of a good thing in one package and are a maintenance nightmare. Serviceability and availability are very poor. The Timoney was well-meaning but flawed and those who have used it regarded it as a decent improvement on the M3, which was wasn't hard to achieve. Ironically, the vehicle sold well globally under license and is still in service,especially as the Behrmann BDX. Timoney's greatest contribution was and is drivetrains. Anyone who writes a book about the Dauphins should wait until the participants are safely dead,as some of the movers and shakers of that debacle are still alive and able to summon lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭roadmaster

sparky42 wrote: »
    Do you think DOD have moved out of dial up yet?

You can be sure they look after themselves did you jot see there Newbridge office

Is it a legitimate Interceptor solution? No.

Do we have any practical applications for its other capabilities? No.

See where this is going?

Is it a legitimate Interceptor solution? No.

Do we have any practical applications for its other capabilities? No.

See where this is going?

Not really.

Why is it not legitimate interceptor.

It's a light attack/trainer like all the other aircraft we've used for decades.

That t50 Korean looked much better Mack 1.5 I think
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAI_T-50_Golden_Eagle

Oh just realized Honeywell works on that jet. They got fined by the USA for send technical details on fighters to other countries. One of those countries was Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Gary kk wrote: »
    Oh just realized Honeywell works on that jet. They got fined by the USA for send technical details on fighters to other countries. One of those countries was Ireland

Yeah, de boyz in de Abbeyshrule skunk works got dere' mits on dem plans, an' are engineerin' de eff turty tree wit a couple a' wheelbarrows, silage cover, and a few ladders dat was lyin' around.

• Advertisement

Yeah, de boyz in de Abbeyshrule skunk works got dere' mits on dem plans, an' are engineerin' de eff turty tree wit a couple a' wheelbarrows, silage cover, and a few ladders dat was lyin' around.

Lol

I was thinking they sent over the wrong files in a sales pitch.

You can do amazing thinks with a gas lamp and some fiberglass.

That's not skunk works at all, it's just a badger with the runs.

Dats wat dey want U to tink.

Not really.

Why is it not legitimate interceptor.

It's a light attack/trainer like all the other aircraft we've used for decades.

None of those were interceptors either.

The concern right now, the 'clear and present danger' if you like, is irresponsible Russian air force components probing the NATO defence network and turning off their transponders in busy commercial airspace, including the massive Irish area of responsibility.

We have no independent response to that, or to the albeit far less likely threat of a hijacked jet airliner.

Planes like the 346 and L159 are simply too slow to reach aircraft like these deep in the oceanic zone of the airspace, let alone perform a search pattern if one is required.

A big airliner will easily travel at Mach 0.9 with the taps open, a Blackjack bomber can light up and bugger off at Mach 2.

Those light attack jet trainers pull Mach 0.8 at best and without a west coast air station, they are useless to us.

The one I shared goes to Mach 1.5 but it depends on price. Well sorry I didn't share it someone else here did. But like what is the bar here will it keep moving until we get a SAAB.

The one I shared goes to Mach 1.5 but it depends on price. Well sorry I didn't share it someone else here did. But like what is the bar here will it keep moving until we get a SAAB.

Again the question is, is that Mach 1.5 clean wing or with mission stores, and how long is its endurance at that speed with dirty wings?

I can see the flaw now not speed or distance but celling height is only 30000ft on the T50

Sorry my bad it's 48000ft

None of those were interceptors either.

The concern right now, the 'clear and present danger' if you like, is irresponsible Russian air force components probing the NATO defence network and turning off their transponders in busy commercial airspace, including the massive Irish area of responsibility.

We have no independent response to that, or to the albeit far less likely threat of a hijacked jet airliner.

Planes like the 346 and L159 are simply too slow to reach aircraft like these deep in the oceanic zone of the airspace, let alone perform a search pattern if one is required.

A big airliner will easily travel at Mach 0.9 with the taps open, a Blackjack bomber can light up and bugger off at Mach 2.

Those light attack jet trainers pull Mach 0.8 at best and without a west coast air station, they are useless to us.

If you are chasing someone with a head start can do Mach 2 you will never catch them. Generally if you are intercepting them its because they are heading towards you not away from you. If they bugger off then thats what you want in the first place so job done.

US with all its resources couldn't stop 9/11 so the odds of anyone with less resources stopping the same attack is a bogus argument.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Again the question is, is that Mach 1.5 clean wing or with mission stores, and how long is its endurance at that speed with dirty wings?
    I can see the flaw now not speed or distance but celling height is only 30000ft on the T50

Sorry my bad it's 48000ft

It only has to get within missile range, then its up to the target to out run the missile.

If desire is to have longer endurance then that means, CAP patrols, and at long distances out. We won't be doing that.

Of course if you to play peek a boo as the RAF do then either you have to let the RAF do it, or you get what the RAF have to do that exact same thing.
    If you can get the budget for that. Which you won't.

• Advertisement

It only has to get within missile range, then its up to the target to out run the missile.

If desire is to have longer endurance then that means, CAP patrols, and at long distances out. We won't be doing that.

That’s not how things work you know...

You'd probably have more effect on Russian "Bear" intrusions if you froze a few Russian bank accounts in the IFSC or withdrew a few "convenience" passports. Any "Bear" that reaches our airspace has already been monitored by Norway, Sweden, the UK and anyone with a Baltic address. I'd imagine the Russian crews have a serious gallery of photos of Gripens and F-16s already and would regard it as a serious novelty if an aircraft with an Irish roundel suddenly appeared alongside. I'd imagine the transcript of the radio interaction between the interceptor and the intreceptee would be along the lines of "Garda Patrol" ; "are you the owner of this veh-hic-le?", says Irish pilot, in his best Templemore voice. "Da, comrade. We are on routine patrol". "Well, switch on your transponder or I'll do ya for flying without consideration for other airspace users. That's 3 points and eighty euros,if you don't feck off home!"

If you are chasing someone with a head start can do Mach 2 you will never catch them. Generally if you are intercepting them its because they are heading towards you not away from you. If they bugger off then thats what you want in the first place so job done.

US with all its resources couldn't stop 9/11 so the odds of anyone with less resources stopping the same attack is a bogus argument.

Why would they have, the first two of those airliners weren't painted as a threat until the towers were ablaze. 9/11 was a failure of intelligence, not quick reaction mod op that focused on military threats.

Two attacks had happened by the time NORAD realised it was a terror attack. It was only when the 3rd aircraft hit that they realised it was multiple and coordinated. By then the USAF were in the air and pilots were willing to do whatever was necessary to prevent a fourth strike. In the end, the passengers of the aircraft did their job for them.

Still it proves the point.
    Much has changed in 20 years. Non responsive civilian aircraft are routinely intercepted by armed aircraft now. Indeed the crash of Helios 522 in 2005 was escorted to its impact site by the Greek Air Force. If the Flight Attendant aboard (who had a CPL) had not altered its course away from major population centres when the first engine flamed out, they would have been in a position to destroy it in the air. By then it was already in a Holding pattern on autopilot over Athens Airport.
    The Greek F16 joined the aircraft 2 hours after radio contact was reported as lost.

There were shoot downs before 9/11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents

The one that sticks in my head was 1983: Korean Air Lines Flight 007 which Gary Moore wrote a song about.

Why would they have, the first two of those airliners weren't painted as a threat until the towers were ablaze. 9/11 was a failure of intelligence, not quick reaction mod op that focused on military threats.

So there no point bringing up 9/11 in terms of "interceptor's" as they are useless against that type of threat.

So its only to police very rare airspace incursions.

So there no point bringing up 9/11 in terms of "interceptor's" as they are useless against that type of threat.

So its only to police very rare airspace incursions.

Not at all.

Global treatment of airliners has changed in the 20 years since. Failure to properly acknowledge or squawk correctly, any sort of deviation from SOP will be investigated now if possible, long before a threat is detected.

But as you mention it, all airspace incursions or failure to fly to accepted norms a should absolutely be challenged.

• Advertisement

Point being a 9/11 style attack if repeated wouldn't give you any warning exactly to avoid any air defence response.

But as you mention it, all airspace incursions or failure to fly to accepted norms a should absolutely be challenged...

The Russians were challenged via radio they just ignored the it. You mean intercepted and then escorted out or shot down. The UK ends up shadowing them for hours. I think the last one in the uk was 5 hours.

The Russians have been doing the same with their Navy also.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/december/04/200412-russian-monitoring

Point being a 9/11 style attack if repeated wouldn't give you any warning exactly to avoid any air defence response.

Given the changes in operations such as the locked cabins, radio alerts for hijacking for example along with pilots now having to consider a 9/11 situation in a hijacking attempt, I’d still consider it likely that there would be more notice to ATC of such an attempt. And as mentioned QRA flights now have more ROEs for such situations as well.

The Russians were challenged via radio they just ignored the it. You mean intercepted and then escorted out or shot down. The UK ends up shadowing them for hours. I think the last one in the uk was 5 hours.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/december/04/200412-russian-monitoring

Yeah again, no that’s not going to happen by us or pretty much any sane/rational country.

While the Russians are ignoring calls on Radio, the Typhoons are travelling beside/behind them, usually in a 2 ship formation, with transponders on.This alerts Radar and ATC, and allows ATC to route commercial traffic around or above the threat.

So, by shadowing the TU's, the RAF are abrogating the threat posed by them to commercial traffic.

This is the Air policing role that people here are suggesting the IAC would provide, along with providing a credible defence in the first instance, if things were to escalate.

Ireland could buy 200 F35's and we would still find it difficult to prevent an enemy intent on invading. However, having 16 Saab Gripen's would buy us time for allies to come to our aid on the one hand, and prevent us becoming the biggest Aircraft carrier the world has ever seen anchored off the coast of Europe on the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement