Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

It was like somebody took over and disconnected the Air. Pretty scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

tedpan wrote: »
    So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

Scary stuff! Is there anything around that area that could be causing signal interference, transmitters etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jesus, I'd be freaking out if that happened, especially when it is right in front of you. Does the Mavic Air need a few mins to get a GPS lock, is it possible to take off without it and it got confused?

I did a run up the Boyne with my Disco a while back and just after it flew over the viaduct, it lost connection. Scariest 2 minutes as I waited for it to RTH.

NUTZZ wrote:
    Scary stuff! Is there anything around that area that could be causing signal interference, transmitters etc?

I was thinking it could have been the masts from the Garda station, i wasn't flying it close though. 20m up and 15m away, so strange.
    delly wrote:
    Jesus, I'd be freaking out if that happened, especially when it is right in front of you. Does the Mavic Air need a few mins to get a GPS lock, is it possible to take off without it and it got confused?

My heart was going! It does lock on to GPS, but very quickly. It was locked on to several satellites so not sure what happened?!
    delly wrote:
    I did a run up the Boyne with my Disco a while back and just after it flew over the viaduct, it lost connection. Scariest 2 minutes as I waited for it to RTH.

I know, when you see it flying away from you, it's the oh f#*k moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭ozmo

Did it say the "Home Point Recorded- Check it on the map" message before you took off?

If you took off before it said this - then it may have been flying back to its last location you flew from when it lost signal..

But you do say it was still a struggle after turning off rth - so check also the Compass - there are 2 and both should display Green Normal.

eg. something like this might fly ok and then cause random problems

4d91a8f39f33d84e522e6e538a3d52f2.jpg

Well done on getting the drone back!

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote:
    Did it say the "Home Point Recorded- Check it on the map" message before you took off?
    ozmo wrote:
    If you took off before it said this - then it may have been flying back to its last location you flew from when it lost signal..

Yep, watched the flight log and the home point was recorded prior to taking off
    ozmo wrote:
    But you do say it was still a struggle after turning off rth - so check also the Compass - there are 2 and both should display Green Normal.

The compass are both displayed as normal. Is there a way to view them on the flight log?
    ozmo wrote:
    Well done on getting the drone back!

Thanks, wasn't the best experience ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Ted, take a look on the dji forum. Last update is pants, lots of reports of this kinda thing.
    DJI responded and told people to roll back to the previous go4 app and posted a link to the apk.
    It's not just the air it's happening to.
    You can also have a look at Mavicpilots forum too.

Hope this helps a bit.

deco nate wrote:
    Ted, take a look on the dji forum. Last update is pants, lots of reports of this kinda thing. DJI responded and told people to roll back to the previous go4 app and posted a link to the apk. It's not just the air it's happening to. You can also have a look at Mavicpilots forum too.

Thanks mate. I had a read after allowing all updates to install before flying for the first time. It's a non roll back version and cannot be reverted, so eagerly waiting for the next release.

All other flights have been fine though. I'll try more during the week in some wide open spaces to see if it was just the location.

Last time I posted here I was in a fit of anger at Xiaomi for ignoring my (fairly legitimate) complaint about the No Fly Zones being a nuisance, not being able to turn them off, and posted about how angry i was at their 'we don't sell it in Ireland so bugger off lol' response to me.

I would often be in the general area of an airport, but not actually anywhere near it, but the 'No Fly' radius is so big it's makes the Drone completely useless.

I know everyone probably already knows this long ago, and it's old news, however, I'm glad to say they won me back over. They got rid of the No Fly Zones altogether! I can fly the Drone inside the airport now if I want. Makes my life so much better and less annoying.

Just need to get a new drone now sometime to try and get one without the silly camera vibration mine has, and the annoying constant 'turn to one side' thing. Thankfully I don't use video mode (or it'd have been €400 down the drain).

Just need to get a new drone now sometime to try and get one without the silly camera vibration mine has, and the annoying constant 'turn to one side' thing. Thankfully I don't use video mode (or it'd have been €400 down the drain).

Yeah, you had a lot of bad luck man.. glad you're still able to take photos and the nfz is gone. Third time lucky? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I know everyone probably already knows this long ago, and it's old news, however, I'm glad to say they won me back over. They got rid of the No Fly Zones altogether! I can fly the Drone inside the airport now if I want. Makes my life so much better and less annoying.

Did they?

I note on the latest update the NFZ’s have been reduced in size, but the airport nearest me still exists around an almost unused airport.

Did they?

I note on the latest update the NFZ’s have been reduced in size, but the airport nearest me still exists around an almost unused airport.

Hmm.. maybe you're right?

I don't know.

I was flying it at an old house and yard that's for sale in dublin, but I was definitely within 1km of the airport. Planes were taking off by flying over the drone (if that makes sense?).

And it never mentioned a no fly zone. Just gave a message of be careful in this area or something to that effect.

Yeah, you had a lot of bad luck man.. glad you're still able to take photos and the nfz is gone. Third time lucky? :D

Yeah I've had dire luck. If it's not 3rd time lucky then I'll be heading elsewhere for drones I think.

I really do like the midrone though. If mine worked properly it'd be much less frustrating using it, but I still can't fault it's ease of control, distance, quality of materials etc.

I'm on the phone and keep getting an error when I try to browse the thread but when I'm back at the desktop I'll take a mooch and see what the most recent price is for it. 400 or less seems reasonable but I'll see what's on offer. Wonder with I be better off leaving it til close to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Hmm.. maybe you're right?

I don't know.

I was flying it at an old house and yard that's for sale in dublin, but I was definitely within 1km of the airport. Planes were taking off by flying over the drone (if that makes sense?).

And it never mentioned a no fly zone. Just gave a message of be careful in this area or something to that effect.

They certainly still show on the map. My closest airport is showing, the attached image is a NFZ at Dublin airport.

But I haven’t tried flying in or near one, must check that out see if it works.

Edit: it wouldn’t allow for screenshot

I flew it a few weeks ago in mulhuddart with plenty of planes in the nearby area. I was only up 30 metres, but no issues with nfzs.
    Yeah I've had dire luck. If it's not 3rd time lucky then I'll be heading elsewhere for drones I think.

I'd say so, it's not been good at all for you..
    I'm on the phone and keep getting an error when I try to browse the thread but when I'm back at the desktop I'll take a mooch and see what the most recent price is for it. 400 or less seems reasonable but I'll see what's on offer. Wonder with I be better off leaving it til close to Christmas.

Maybe, it seems to be 408e on gearbest at the moment. Something popped up with $50 off for new customers, maybe set up a new account? Anyway, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

How a drone costing 80 € on aliexpress is for sell used for 360 € on adverts. Most adverts there are unreal.

https://touch.adverts.ie/radio-control/drone/15943150

So I went digging and mooching on drone map. It seems the No Fly Zones are indeed still in place. However, they're tiny now. You pretty much just can't fly around the runway.

I'll take that. it was, what, a 5km radius before? So that's a huge improvement. I've to go to Galway to take a few photos with it, and it's gonna be right beside the airport, so i was panicking a bit (which is why i checked the NFZ's on the map) but i dont mind that radius now. It seems reasonable.

So I went digging and mooching on drone map. It seems the No Fly Zones are indeed still in place. However, they're tiny now. You pretty much just can't fly around the runway.

I'll take that. it was, what, a 5km radius before? So that's a huge improvement. I've to go to Galway to take a few photos with it, and it's gonna be right beside the airport, so i was panicking a bit (which is why i checked the NFZ's on the map) but i dont mind that radius now. It seems reasonable.

I'm inclined to think tiny NFZ or no, droning near an airport is a great way to get unwanted attention. It's likely the IAA will implement harsh new regulations after a number of incidents recently endangering aircraft landing/taking off and others interfering with firefighting flights during the drought. We have the run of most of the country currently, and if we show we are mature and safety-conscious enough, we may get to maintain it. Do we really need to get that close to takeoff/landing flight paths? This is why we can't have nice things.

Pretty much every IAA drone rule is habitually violated, and they are only concerned with physical safety. GDPR is a whole 'nother can of worms. I like me drone and want to continue to be able to fly it for years to come...

I'm inclined to think tiny NFZ or no, droning near an airport is a great way to get unwanted attention. It's likely the IAA will implement harsh new regulations after a number of incidents recently endangering aircraft landing/taking off and others interfering with firefighting flights during the drought. We have the run of most of the country currently, and if we show we are mature and safety-conscious enough, we may get to maintain it. Do we really need to get that close to takeoff/landing flight paths? This is why we can't have nice things.

Pretty much every IAA drone rule is habitually violated, and they are only concerned with physical safety. GDPR is a whole 'nother can of worms. I like me drone and want to continue to be able to fly it for years to come...

I agree. A small bit of common sense and we'll all be grand.

Not sure why you're aiming that at me, though. Unless you agree with the 5km airport radius? I fly completely safely, and yes, sometimes near airports.

I agree. A small bit of common sense and we'll all be grand.

Not sure why you're aiming that at me, though. Unless you agree with the 5km airport radius? I fly completely safely, and yes, sometimes near airports.

Not aimed at you, just adding to the conversation while on the topic of NFZs.

Personally, I would be adding a self imposed buffer to the NFZ for my own peace of mind. Too many tales here of drones that decided to go off exploring on their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

Have 2 batteries and 4 props for sale for the Xiaomi drone. Pm me for details

keltoms05 wrote:
    Have 2 batteries and 4 props for sale for the Xiaomi drone. Pm me for details

Are you upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

Are you upgrading?

Yeah either getting a mavic air or mavic pro 2, the gimbal is broken on the Xiaomi but the rest is working perfect. 120 for the lot if you're interested Tedpan, handy to have some spares for the drone😀

keltoms05 wrote:
    Yeah either getting a mavic air or mavic pro 2, the gimbal is broken on the Xiaomi but the rest is working perfect. 120 for the lot if you're interested Tedpan, handy to have some spares for the drone😀

Very nice! Incredibly broke at the moment. Hopefully you sell it soon, if not I'll PM you after payday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

keltoms05 wrote: »
    Yeah either getting a mavic air or mavic pro 2, the gimbal is broken on the Xiaomi but the rest is working perfect. 120 for the lot if you're interested Tedpan, handy to have some spares for the drone��

Stay away from the DJI air unless you will use fake GPS, as soon as the controller detect you are in EU region it will switch to CE mode and the distance will be restricted, I return min to Amazon France last month I didn't understand what was happen tell I find a solution after (the difference between CE and FCC) anyway they are today for 898 in Amazon Germany the best price so far. hope that helps.
    can you send a PM about your broken drone please.

rabii wrote:
    Stay away from the DJI air unless you will use fake GPS, as soon as the controller detect you are in EU region it will switch to CE mode and the distance will be restricted, I return min to Amazon France last month I didn't understand what was happen tell I find a solution after (the difference between CE and FCC) anyway they are today for 898 in Amazon Germany the best price so far. hope that helps. can you send a PM about your broken drone please.

Do you know what the range is limited to?

Do you know what the range is limited to?
    Test in Fonor co-clare
    5ghz auto 250m to 300 max
    2.4 GHz manual channel up to 950m in lahinch
    Please see attached file.
    Max battery life is 15min and the drone will land
    If you use fake gps you could trick the controller that you are based in US or Canada and you could do 2km easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

rabii wrote: »
    Test in Fonor co-clare
    5ghz auto 250m to 300 max
    2.4 GHz manual channel up to 950m in lahinch
    Please see attached file.
    Max battery life is 15min and the drone will land
    If you use fake gps you could trick the controller that you are based in US or Canada and you could do 2km easy.

Personally I would be worried about that, is there any chance the drone might fly off in the direction of Idaho or somewhere thinking it was returning home ?

Not up to speed with how the fake gps hack works, so I may be talking a load of nonsense though :p

rabii wrote:
    Test in Fonor co-clare 5ghz auto 250m to 300 max 2.4 GHz manual channel up to 950m in lahinch Please see attached file. Max battery life is 15min and the drone will land If you use fake gps you could trick the controller that you are based in US or Canada and you could do 2km easy.

I have flown 900m with the Air on the beach without losing control, I didn't manually change any settings. I'll have a fly at the weekend to see what kind of distance I can get.

• Advertisement

Personally I would be worried about that, is there any chance the drone might fly off in the direction of Idaho or somewhere thinking it was returning home ?

Not up to speed with how the fake gps hack works, so I may be talking a load of nonsense though :p

it will not.
    return home uses GPS in the drone, so it will record the location from where it launch.
    fake GPS is tricking the controller to change the wifi to full power.

Advertisement