Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hate crime? Really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

feargale wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of good manners?

More like acting like a cnut in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

try and think before you post. seriously.

Little people are not disabled.

Her condition is indeed a disability.

I wonder how many of the big lads with the little jokes have been invited to Davos to hang out with Christine Lagarde, Will I Am, Oprah and more?

https://extra.ie/2019/01/26/entertainment/celebrity/irish-activist-sinead-burke-tells-davos-disabled-people-need-platforms

Is it ?

I don't know if it was a hate crime either but wording is not as big a deal as what was done to the woman, and what she has to put up with constantly.

No it wasn't. He got banned.

Oh there’s no card on the post can you link the ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Oh there’s no card on the post can you link the ban?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109916593&postcount=108

rusty cole wrote: »
    yes we have and that's about all it is, bad manners by 16 year olds.
    She's trying to make a name for herself, I don't care if she's short or not.
    She's all over the press crying about it, boo hoo. it's not a hate crime.
    It's also not a crime to leap frog anyone against their will or without permission end of story. She wasn't violated as though she's trying to insinuate.
    It's a lot more than bad manners and you know it.

Is she "all over the press" or is it this one article?

Only the spindo said it was a hate crime.

She was of course violated. She was humiliated just because of her diminutive stature, and unable to defend herself. This is just one example of what she has to deal with on a regular basis due to having dwarfism. Why do you have a problem with her highlighting it? What is it that you find so objectionable? It's a weird thing to be so hostile about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it ?
    Yes.

Listen to her TED talk and see what you think.

Little people are not disabled.

Well, that's nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lots of tiny penises in this thread threatened that anyone other than a straight white man would have a voice in the media.

Sad.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Lots of tiny penises in this thread threatened that anyone other than a straight white man would have a voice in the media.

Sad.

wt actual fook..

who's hate filled now!! where does sexual orientation and colour come into this, let alone dick size.. gas stuff altogether.

It's a lot more than bad manners and you know it.

Is she "all over the press" or is it this one article?

Only the spindo said it was a hate crime.

She was of course violated. She was humiliated just because of her diminutive stature, and unable to defend herself. This is just one example of what she has to deal with on a regular basis due to having dwarfism. Why do you have a problem with her highlighting it? What is it that you find so objectionable? It's a weird thing to be so hostile about.

yea right, up there with Brexit.. terror now it is!! why...? what??? who???
    you're like mastermind there with the Q&A take a breath.

seamus wrote:

****ing hell. Shoehorning white male guilt into this is beyond parody. Well played.

(Also you insinuated that people who have penises are exclusively male - dock yourself 2 virtuous points)

seamus wrote: »

Sad.
    I don't get this stuff either. You're a straight white man aren't you? How do you know what size the other men's penises are?
    yea right, up there with Brexit.. terror now it is!
    That's dumb-ass Joe.ie, not Sinead.

I just don't understand why you are so angry towards her and so determined to downplay what she has to put up with, and so lacking in empathy. Yeah there is a large number of idiots who get offended by practically nothing, but she is not one of them - having dwarfism and having to deal with constant humiliation (this was only one such incident) and highlighting this, is not offence over nothing. And a person who doesn't have dwarfism saying it's no big deal - well their point of view doesn't mean sh1t.

Just because there are all these really easily offended and triggered eejits out there, doesn't mean it's necessary to be harsh and indifferent even towards those who have genuine grievances.

I don't get this stuff either. You're a straight white man aren't you? How do you know what size the other men's penises are?

That's dumb-ass Joe.ie, not Sinead.

I just don't understand why you are so angry towards her and so determined to downplay what she has to put up with, and so lacking in empathy. Yeah there is a large number of idiots who get offended by practically nothing, but she is not one of them - having dwarfism and having to deal with constant humiliation (this was only one such incident) and highlighting this, is not offence over nothing. And a person who doesn't have dwarfism saying it's no big deal - well their point of view doesn't mean sh1t.

Just because there are all these really easily offended and triggered eejits out there, doesn't mean it's necessary to be harsh and indifferent even towards those who have genuine grievances.

OK Hermann Rorschach lets put this to bed. Angry at her?? eh no. Angry at the outcry and hate crime ****e? yes?.
    For the record If I was standing there, I'd have easily stood up for her, it's a lousy thing to do. I almost slapped a guy for telling a begger to Fook off and get a life once, so I'm not Hitler!

it's simply not a hate crime. ok, we're settled on this now.

Just wondering if any of the big lads with the little jokes got invited to the Met Gala with Gaga and Soairse and Harry and Jared and got to write about it in Vogue?

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinead-burke-met-gala-4623675-May2019/

No? That's a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OK Hermann Rorschach lets put this to bed. Angry at her?? eh no. Angry at the outcry and hate crime ****e? yes?.
    For the record If I was standing there, I'd have easily stood up for her, it's a lousy thing to do. I almost slapped a guy for telling a begger to Fook off and get a life once, so I'm not Hitler!

it's simply not a hate crime. ok, we're settled on this now.

We're really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Just wondering if any of the big lads with the little jokes got invited to the Met Gala with Gaga and Soairse and Harry and Jared and got to write about it in Vogue?

No? That's a shocker.

If anyone is looking for a rhetoric question its just up there ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

No? That's a shocker.

So what, condescending to invite her really, invite her for what she has achieved not because she is a dwarf and it's politically correct.

• Advertisement

We're really not.

We did have 4 blissful weeks until Andrew's post though. Ah those were the days.

So what, condescending to invite her really, invite her for what she has achieved not because she is a dwarf and it's politically correct.

Did they share their rationale for inviting her with you by email? Or are you just telepathic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No? That's a shocker.

I’m not sure getting to attend the Met Gala is something to envy. You’d have to pay me to go to it. That Journal headline is so patronising to Sinéad too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In case I have to spell it out, the assault on her was disgusting and reprehensible.

I don't see anywhere in the article where she is quoted as referring to this attack as a "hate crime". All I see is a headline written by some idiot journalist. I bet she never called it a "hate crime".

This kind of bullying goes on in every school up and down the country all the time. It's not hate crime, it's bullying. Calling it a "hate crime" gives it an appeal to the sick low IQ idiots who enjoy this type of thing it doesn't deserve.

Don't you have to touch someone for it to constitute assault?? He jumped over her. If someone bumps into me in a crowd should I shout assault??

Don't you have to touch someone for it to constitute assault?? He jumped over her. If someone bumps into me in a crowd should I shout assault??

There is no requirement to touch somebody in order for it to constitute assault. I'm pretty sure we established that somewhere around page 2 or 3 of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Careful, you'll give someone an aneurysm with those dangerous semantics you're launching.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    You don't have to make physical contact for assault. They definitely put her under threat.

It's more than not very nice, it's criminal. It could have long lasting effects on how that woman feels just going about her daily life. Its odd that people don't seem to get that, or think it's just a laugh.

Under threat of what exactly??

If that's meant to be funny then it's a huge fail. It's also a pedantic attempt to diminish what was an assault.

She makes no mention of him touching her, just a whoosh and him landing in front of her. I'm sure if he had touched her it would be explicitly stated for maximum effect.

gmisk wrote: »
    How would you feel about some leap frogging over your head totally randomly in the street because you were short?
    By the sounds of it you would be delighted?
    Would you maybe consider walking around with a little sign on your back?
    Laying your hands on someone in a totally unwarranted way sounds like a crime to me.

From my point of view it is a hate crime she was clearly targeted due to her height.
    The lack of compassion from some of the posters on here is disheartening to say the least.

If someone leapfrogged me on the street, didn't touch or harm me, didn't say anything or make any hand gestures, I'd think thats a bit weird and go about my business.

I don't have a gra for the spotlight thought.

If someone leapfrogged me on the street, didn't touch or harm me, didn't say anything or make any hand gestures, I'd think thats a bit weird and go about my business.

I don't have a gror the spotlight thought.

So somebody a LOT bigger than you decides to jump over you and you wouldn't think "what the hell is going on" and think that you may be about to be hit? You would just troll on cool as a cucumber? BS.

I don't have a gror the spotlight thought.

You missed the bit about the reason for the assault.

• Advertisement

Did they share their rationale for inviting her with you by email? Or are you just telepathic?

"Prior to tonight, I practised the stairs, and did an accessibility audit of the seating, bathrooms, elevators and corridors to figure out where and how we could ensure that I am as independent as possible on this very glamorous night."

I wonder if everyone invited got to do this??

So somebody a LOT bigger than you decides to jump over you and you wouldn't think "what the hell is going on" and think that you may be about to be hit? You would just troll on cool as a cucumber? BS.

What height were there teenagers?? Why would I think i'm about to be hit?? I'd probably think "what was that"? I probably wouldn't put too much pass on it being honest.

What height were there teenagers?? Why would I think i'm about to be hit?? I'd probably think "what was that"? I probably wouldn't put too much pass on it being honest.

this is just internet hardman bs.

You missed the bit about the reason for the assault.

Assault, like racist and many other words that used to have a deep meaning are just words now. He didn't touch her, abuse her, make any gestures towards her, but it is classed as assault. It's a joke.

this is just internet hardman bs.

What is "hardman bs" about anything I've said? Is it because I don't walk around with the fear of god in me? That I know kids will be kids, sometimes beyond the boundaries of decency, but once there is no harm done that I can get on with my day??

Jesus, are people really that soft these days?? I would say my response would be the response of any average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

I don't have a gra for the spotlight thought.

Exactly, but some people want to be victims.

she must have a great life if that is what she is whining about, but look it's working - she is getting lots of attention over it and no doubt she will get lots of compensation for it.

Victimhood Olympics is the new big way of getting ahead.

she must have a great life if that is what she is whining about, but look it's working - she is getting lots of attention over it and no doubt she will get lots of compensation for it.

I'm sure she'll get a lot of people telling her how brave she was too.

I’m not sure getting to attend the Met Gala is something to envy. You’d have to pay me to go to it. That Journal headline is so patronising to Sinéad too. :eek:

It wouldnt be my scene either, but clearly, if you operate in that world, it is a very big deal. If you are one of the handful of Irish people attending, it is a very big deal.

And what exactly is patronising?

I'm sure she'll get a lot of people telling her how brave she was too.

No mention of 'brave' in the 20+ comments on the Journal article, but I guess some people love to make up issues to moan about.

Tell us more about what 'compensation' she is getting? Who's going to pay this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

What is "hardman bs" about anything I've said? Is it because I don't walk around with the fear of god in me? That I know kids will be kids, sometimes beyond the boundaries of decency, but once there is no harm done that I can get on with my day??

Jesus, are people really that soft these days?? I would say my response would be the response of any average person.

Over on the other thread you're complaining about crime not being treated seriously enough. Which is it?

Two guys followed me down Gardiner Street one day. One of them came up very close behind me and clapped loudly above my head.

They didn't touch me, but it was very intimidating and it was very obviously meant to be intimidating. I turned around and took a photo of them on my phone, then they f**ked off.

If I was a little person I'd have been even more shook up by it than I was.

No mention of 'brave' in the 20+ comments on the Journal article, but I guess some people love to make up issues to moan about.

I wouldn't take The Journal's comment section as a true reflection in any way. The mere mention of Saoirse Ronan brought this response
    the queen of theAbortion apologists too. #bloodontheirhands

I wouldn't take The Journal's comment section as a true reflection in any way. The mere mention of Saoirse Ronan brought this response

So where are all those people telling her how brave she is? Outside of weldon's imagination, that is?

So where are all those people telling her how brave she is? Outside of weldon's imagination, that is?

Well I would ask him to back that one up. I was simply making a point about the quality of people who frequent the comment section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I thought she was a dwarf, but she claims to be one of the little people, so the organisers probably thought she would do a song and dance routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There are a lot of things I'd call this behaviour but a hate crime? No, not everything you experience or dislike is a hate crime.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/sinead-burke-talks-about-the-hate-crime-that-led-to-her-new-campaign-in-dublin-schools-38007423.html

I would definitely call that a hate crime.

recedite wrote: »
    I thought she was a dwarf, but she claims to be one of the little people, so the organisers probably thought she would do a song and dance routine.
    Honestly, she's a lot more grown up than you'll ever be.

But you added the wrong link to your post. Here's the one you should have added.

http://www.lpi.ie/lpi-themword/

recedite wrote: »

You thought wrong, unsurprisingly

You've noticed that two teenagers, younger than the ones referenced in this incident, are on trial for murder this week - murder of a girl considerably taller than Sinead?

But yeah, let's not 'put too much pass' on anything.

Fkin hell. The shark has been jumped.

Edit: Hope he doesn't report you for a hate crime.

• Advertisement

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    Over on the other thread you're complaining about crime not being treated seriously enough. Which is it?

Two guys followed me down Gardiner Street one day. One of them came up very close behind me and clapped loudly above my head.

They didn't touch me, but it was very intimidating and it was very obviously meant to be intimidating. I turned around and took a photo of them on my phone, then they f**ked off.

If I was a little person I'd have been even more shook up by it than I was.

Are people in here trying to out do each other in the ridiculous story stakes??

Advertisement