Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disney+

• 05-11-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Anyone know when Disney Plus is being released to Ireland and so we know the price?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Q1 2020, apparently and no word on the cost.

If you’re mainly interested in the Disney rather than the Plus, DisneyLife is available now with a good chunk of the same stuff and costs €6.99pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That's a big delay. What other shows will people end up pirating that will be released on the US in between now and then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I don't see the point in delaying the release for that length of time. Anyone who wants to watch one of their high profile shows will just pirate it well before then - The Mandalorian being an obvious example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I don't see the point in delaying the release for that length of time. Anyone who wants to watch one of their high profile shows will just pirate it well before then - The Mandalorian being an obvious example.

Maybe all they'd have would be the new original content, since it seems they still have contracts with Sky for some of their content

Better to launch a product with a proper lineup, than to ask people to pay when it would be fairly blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That may be the last people who have yearly subscriptions to Disney life. The similar, but inferior, streaming service they already operated this side of the Atlantic

That was never operational in the US so no need to wait

It is less to do with the Mandarolian and other Star Wars and Marvel original content. That’s the “Plus” in Disney+.

No, this is more to do with the real prize on offer to subscribers, and the one they can’t offer until that Sky deal expires - access to the library of Walt Disney Pictures animated classics. There will be a legion of kids out there pestering their parents to subscribe to get access to all of those classic animated films, and quite a few adults wanting to relive their childhoods too.

The Star Wars and Marvel properties are a great bonus, a Plus if you will. But this service is called Disney+, not Star Wars+ or Marvel+, and that’s not for nothing.

Disney have contracts with sky till then, when Disney bought fox, sky was sold to comcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is it possible to use proxy’s/VPN’s to sign up for this or is it gonna be blocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 shows I saw reviewed so far got mixed to positive reactions. Lady & the Tramp live action movie and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is it possible to use proxy’s/VPN’s to sign up for this or is it gonna be blocked

I can’t get it to work with my card. It seems they’re checking payment location rather than IP address location

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: a quiet reminder that discussion on how to get around geo-blocking is against the charter. So please don't.

charter: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122871
    New Additions - June 2009
    • Please do not discuss how to capture / download streaming content from any streaming video site. This includes YouTube, RTE Player, Google Video, Metacafe, Hulu etc
    • While we're on the subject, discussing how to bypass geographical limitations to watch streaming content is also a no-no (i.e. how to watch Hulu outside the US)

seems all the star wars movie are in dolby vision 4k HDR
    500 movies and 7,500 TV episodes

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-star-wars-original-trilogy-is-in-4k-with-dolby-vision-hdr-on-disney-plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wish it was in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

peteeeed wrote: »

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-star-wars-original-trilogy-is-in-4k-with-dolby-vision-hdr-on-disney-plus

But can you watch every version of the original trilogy? Or do they just have the Hayden Christensen editions?

Is Buffy and angel on it since they bought fox they can show them there

Buffy is on Prime Video FWIW

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But can you watch every version of the original trilogy? Or do they just have the Hayden Christensen editions?

of course not , george is still alive & kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Apparently there has been even more tweaks made to the movies. The infamous "Han shot first" scene has been edited differently yet again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold up! :eek:

Can someone point me to where there's a version of Rogue One in 4K like that article says is already available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This is getting better and better - all MCU films in 4K too...just need a new TV now for March 😂

This is getting better and better - all MCU films in 4K too...just need a new TV now for March 😂

I bet we won’t get a lot of stuff the USA one gets like for example the simpsons I bet sky has that locked down from appearing hopefully not though
    There really is no need for dvds and blurays when all these streaming services start popping up hopefully we will get hbo max too

A fun fact is that The Simpsons isn’t and never has been available on any UK or Irish on demand service. Including Sky’s (though of course they show it quite often on their linear channels). So hope that this might be its streaming debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I’m in the fortunate position of being able to watch it here. Anyway, very slick/easy to manoeuvre around service with a lot of the films in 4K/Dolby Vision. The Mandalorian looks great as it too is in Dolby Vision. The test will be how great or not the original programming will be going forward to retain and attract customers. Pity the Hulu bundle (including ESPN Plus) is not available here as in the US it can be got for $12.99 per month which will worry Netflix etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've read the subscribers so far in the US have counted in the millions; wonder how much the Mandalorian can claim of that. The real interesting figure will be the subscriber list at the end of the calendar year, the potential drop off once the SW show ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’m a DisneyLife member, not a great selection but the kids love the movies, I got it because I thought it would move to Disney+ but with such a long delay my can it

I can’t watch frozen again

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m a DisneyLife member, not a great selection but the kids love the movies, I got it because I thought it would move to Disney+ but with such a long delay my can it

I can’t watch frozen again

We had it for a year (got it ‘free’ as part of a holiday we booked) and genuinely don’t think a single movie was added in that year

Lil’one did like the TV section but we cancelled after the year anyway

Disney+ looks a huge step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've read the subscribers so far in the US have counted in the millions; wonder how much the Mandalorian can claim of that. The real interesting figure will be the subscriber list at the end of the calendar year, the potential drop off once the SW show ends.

Various news sources stating 10 million subs in the first week. While that seems like a lot, when considering the amount of content and popularity of that content, I would have expected way more subs seeing how low the price is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Venom wrote: »
    Various news sources stating 10 million subs in the first week. While that seems like a lot, when considering the amount of content and popularity of that content, I would have expected way more subs seeing how low the price is.
    And how many are doing a free trial and how many are on the Verizon deal where they also get it for free..

It's got a lot of older content, but it's thin on new content. I know many fans are happy with the new SW show, but it's only one episode so far too early to get any idea on the quality of the new shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ixoy wrote: »
    And how many are doing a free trial and how many are on the Verizon deal where they also get it for free..

It's got a lot of older content, but it's thin on new content. I know many fans are happy with the new SW show, but it's only one episode so far too early to get any idea on the quality of the new shows.

Older content for sure but its almost all highly popular household names like Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, Simpsons, Pixar, Muppets and more, across TV and movies from the 60's to now.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/20913417/disney-plus-launch-lineup-marvel-star-wars-pixar-tv-shows-movies-simpsons-national-geographic

A group under represented here on Boards, I suspect, are the legion of kids who will be pestering their parents to get this for the Walt Disney animated classics. Don’t underestimate how popular Frozen is.

This is what I'm thinking: the first SW show ever is only going to drive subscriptions (and piracy, but that's another matter), and the MCU shows are a way off yet - and it's not automatic that those who like SW like the MCU. Other than that I don't get the huge impression there's much buzz surrounding the non-genre stuff, if there even is any. So maybe there's the risk of a big slide once the Mandalorian is finished, or those MCU shows fail to impress.

Mind you, if they have Simpsons and the like, given how The Office accounted for so many of Netflix's subs, Disney+ will probably do fine on that alone.

Oh it’s definitely the Disney animated archive that will be the main driver. For many of them it’ll be the first time they’ve been available on a streaming service in the US

SW and Marvel will play their part but the Disney brand is golden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I one thing not talked about as much but I am looking forward to delving into is the National Geographic catalogue of shows and documentaries that are included in it.

The one thign I do find with the DisneyLife app is that it kills the box.I have loads of app's on a number of android boxes. Netflix etc....all work perfectly

If you use DisneyLife, afterwards you need to reboot the box everytime. It just seems to clog up the whole thing. Even if I reboot and only open it, once I close it I have to reopen it.....they are not lightweight boxes either.....just seems to be poorly coded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

I one thing not talked about as much but I am looking forward to delving into is the National Geographic catalogue of shows and documentaries that are included in it.

Sub categories in National Geographic on Disney+ Series 16 items, Movies 26 items, Vets & Pets 7 items, Science & Innovation 11 items, Exploring our World 20 items. Some of items are duplicates across the sub categories. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Venom wrote: »

It's 10 million signed up on the first day not a week.

I think it's a very impressive number especially when you consider it on launched in 3 countries. USA, Canada and The Netherlands.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's 10 million signed up on the first day not a week.

I think it's a very impressive number especially when you consider it on launched in 3 countries. USA, Canada and The Netherlands.

The financial analysts predicted 13m subs in year one

Disney’s stock has soared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Is there much FOX stuff on it or will that be put on HULU?

Is there much FOX stuff on it or will that be put on HULU?

Not that I can find in the app anyway. The Simpsons season 1-30 is on disney+ but season 31 is all on hulu. Can't find recently ended shows from Fox on disney+(24 etc) but that show and lots of other Fox shows are all on Hulu. Might move over in time, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just signed up. Couldn't resist watching all of the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR before seeing Rise of Skywalker in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Trampas

Yeah there's plenty online about the illegal hacking of disney+ accounts. Keep changing passwords I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I was in a friends house last night and they have it, I must say browsing whats on it I found it a bit disappointing, They must be holding off on a lot of content for now I guess rights to a lot of stuff is still with other places.

headnorth wrote: »
    Not that I can find in the app anyway. The Simpsons season 1-30 is on disney+ but season 31 is all on hulu. Can't find recently ended shows from Fox on disney+(24 etc) but that show and lots of other Fox shows are all on Hulu. Might move over in time, I don't know.

Supposedly everything on Disney+ is meant to be family friendly - what we would call “pre watershed” - if they hold to that you won’t be seeing 24 at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just signed up. Couldn't resist watching all of the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR before seeing Rise of Skywalker in the cinema.

Did you sign up from Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Did you sign up from Ireland?

Yes I did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Disney have released a statement about it's intent on it's media distribution strategy for 2020 even though Disney+ is officially released in some countries.
    Even at Disney, where much of the focus is on the much-hyped Disney+ service, there’s room for transactional, according to David Kite, S(enior) V(ice) P(resident) of marketing for Disney Media Distribution.

“With this year’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox, we remain committed to both digital and physical ownership,” Kite says. “We successfully integrated the Fox team into the expansive Disney home entertainment organization and have implemented a unified strategy that includes a more synergistic approach across key lines of business. We’re looking forward to another exciting year across both physical and digital platforms with a wide-range slate of home entertainment releases.”

In the first quarter of 2020, Kite says, “We will be releasing two very promising titles — the critically acclaimed awards contenders Jojo Rabbit and Ford v Ferrari. We’re also excited about the rollouts of Frozen II, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Marvel Studios’ Black Widow, Disney-Pixar’s Onward and the live-action Mulan as our customers continue to build their libraries.”

While disc sales will likely continue to decline in 2020, no one’s giving up on DVD, Blu-ray Disc or, in particular, 4K Ultra HD.

Cancelled +, wasn't worth it in end

Without starwars it is useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ye cancelled it myself after The Mandalorian finished the content is quiet poor at the moment despite the Disney back catalogue that is there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement