Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A group under represented here on Boards, I suspect, are the legion of kids who will be pestering their parents to get this for the Walt Disney animated classics. Don’t underestimate how popular Frozen is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is what I'm thinking: the first SW show ever is only going to drive subscriptions (and piracy, but that's another matter), and the MCU shows are a way off yet - and it's not automatic that those who like SW like the MCU. Other than that I don't get the huge impression there's much buzz surrounding the non-genre stuff, if there even is any. So maybe there's the risk of a big slide once the Mandalorian is finished, or those MCU shows fail to impress.

Mind you, if they have Simpsons and the like, given how The Office accounted for so many of Netflix's subs, Disney+ will probably do fine on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh it’s definitely the Disney animated archive that will be the main driver. For many of them it’ll be the first time they’ve been available on a streaming service in the US

SW and Marvel will play their part but the Disney brand is golden

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I one thing not talked about as much but I am looking forward to delving into is the National Geographic catalogue of shows and documentaries that are included in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The one thign I do find with the DisneyLife app is that it kills the box.I have loads of app's on a number of android boxes. Netflix etc....all work perfectly

If you use DisneyLife, afterwards you need to reboot the box everytime. It just seems to clog up the whole thing. Even if I reboot and only open it, once I close it I have to reopen it.....they are not lightweight boxes either.....just seems to be poorly coded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭headnorth

I one thing not talked about as much but I am looking forward to delving into is the National Geographic catalogue of shows and documentaries that are included in it.

Sub categories in National Geographic on Disney+ Series 16 items, Movies 26 items, Vets & Pets 7 items, Science & Innovation 11 items, Exploring our World 20 items. Some of items are duplicates across the sub categories. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Venom wrote: »
    Various news sources stating 10 million subs in the first week. While that seems like a lot, when considering the amount of content and popularity of that content, I would have expected way more subs seeing how low the price is.

It's 10 million signed up on the first day not a week.

I think it's a very impressive number especially when you consider it on launched in 3 countries. USA, Canada and The Netherlands.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's 10 million signed up on the first day not a week.

I think it's a very impressive number especially when you consider it on launched in 3 countries. USA, Canada and The Netherlands.

The financial analysts predicted 13m subs in year one

Disney’s stock has soared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Is there much FOX stuff on it or will that be put on HULU?

Is there much FOX stuff on it or will that be put on HULU?

Not that I can find in the app anyway. The Simpsons season 1-30 is on disney+ but season 31 is all on hulu. Can't find recently ended shows from Fox on disney+(24 etc) but that show and lots of other Fox shows are all on Hulu. Might move over in time, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just signed up. Couldn't resist watching all of the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR before seeing Rise of Skywalker in the cinema.

Yeah there's plenty online about the illegal hacking of disney+ accounts. Keep changing passwords I say.

I was in a friends house last night and they have it, I must say browsing whats on it I found it a bit disappointing, They must be holding off on a lot of content for now I guess rights to a lot of stuff is still with other places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

headnorth wrote: »
    Not that I can find in the app anyway. The Simpsons season 1-30 is on disney+ but season 31 is all on hulu. Can't find recently ended shows from Fox on disney+(24 etc) but that show and lots of other Fox shows are all on Hulu. Might move over in time, I don't know.

Supposedly everything on Disney+ is meant to be family friendly - what we would call “pre watershed” - if they hold to that you won’t be seeing 24 at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just signed up. Couldn't resist watching all of the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR before seeing Rise of Skywalker in the cinema.

Did you sign up from Ireland?

Did you sign up from Ireland?

Yes I did

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Disney have released a statement about it's intent on it's media distribution strategy for 2020 even though Disney+ is officially released in some countries.
    Even at Disney, where much of the focus is on the much-hyped Disney+ service, there’s room for transactional, according to David Kite, S(enior) V(ice) P(resident) of marketing for Disney Media Distribution.

“With this year’s acquisition of 20th Century Fox, we remain committed to both digital and physical ownership,” Kite says. “We successfully integrated the Fox team into the expansive Disney home entertainment organization and have implemented a unified strategy that includes a more synergistic approach across key lines of business. We’re looking forward to another exciting year across both physical and digital platforms with a wide-range slate of home entertainment releases.”

In the first quarter of 2020, Kite says, “We will be releasing two very promising titles — the critically acclaimed awards contenders Jojo Rabbit and Ford v Ferrari. We’re also excited about the rollouts of Frozen II, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Marvel Studios’ Black Widow, Disney-Pixar’s Onward and the live-action Mulan as our customers continue to build their libraries.”

While disc sales will likely continue to decline in 2020, no one’s giving up on DVD, Blu-ray Disc or, in particular, 4K Ultra HD.

Cancelled +, wasn't worth it in end

Without starwars it is useless

Ye cancelled it myself after The Mandalorian finished the content is quiet poor at the moment despite the Disney back catalogue that is there.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Cancelled +, wasn't worth it in end

I think it's worth paying for a month every six months or so. You can blitz whatever new shows they release & catch up on new movies added.

There isn't a single movie on Disney Plus that I haven't seen before but it was nice to watch all the Star Wars movies in 4K HDR. I'm now ready to watch the last star wars film in the cinema.

I've cancelled my subscription after two months

Sorry I meant DusneyLife and not +

Kids liked it but we have seen everything. Also the 2 year old was only one watching it, stick on Sofia and it plays one episode and then starts, doesn’t start the next one. Most annoying thing ever so that one of the major reasons to dump

Also no StarWars

A few people I know who were able to sign up all dropped it when Mandalorian and said they will go back and binge series when they go on and then cancel. Where as they stay on Netflix or Prime the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Where as they stay on Netflix or Prime the whole time.

Netflix I understand because there's enough good stuff there as well as enough new stuff to make it a permanent keep

Amazon Prime though I haven't seen much on it at all worth seeing never mind a keeper

Netflix I understand because there's enough good stuff there as well as enough new stuff to make it a permanent keep

Amazon Prime though I haven't seen much on it at all worth seeing never mind a keeper[/QUOTE]

It's grand when you get it for free from Eir.

Have Prime. Nothing on it either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The launch date has moved a week to the 24th march

I strongly suggest not signing for a year unless you have young kids. Monthly works out much cheaper if you skip a few months throughout the year.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I strongly suggest not signing for a year unless you have young kids. Monthly works out much cheaper if you skip a few months throughout the year.

I got rid of Disney Life and the kids have me drove mad, now of course they want to watch it:P

Will probably go for the year on Disney+

• Advertisement

To be fair Disney plus is a whole different beast to the Disney Life.

And yes I’ll be getting it having unsubscribed from Disney Life some 6-8 months ago

Advertisement