Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's a short interview with Hugh Wilson on how he got in to film directing with Police Academy: it was basically his "payment" for fixing the script. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Film producer Allison Shearmur has died at just 54: the films she produced included three of the Hunger Games films, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Star Ward: Rogue One and the upcoming Solo. She was the wife of English film composer Edward Shearmur.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Actor Reg E. Cathey, who played Freddy on “House of Cards” and appeared in “The Wire,” has died. He was 59.

Known for his distinctive baritone voice, Reginald Eugene Cathey began acting in 1984 in a television movie called “A Doctor’s Story.” He guest starred on numerous television shows, playing Norman Wilson in seasons four and five of “The Wire” as well as in “Grimm,” “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “House of Cards,” and drama “Outcast.”

Cathey won an Emmy for outstanding guest actor in a drama series in 2015 for his work on “House of Cards.” He was previously nominated in 2014 and received another nomination in 2016 for the same role.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/obituaries-people-news/reg-cathey-dead-dies-the-wire-house-of-card-1202694366/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Damn! He was a fine character actor and such an amazing voice. Loved him in The Wire and his short stint in Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Man, that’s a real tragedy. His soundtracks to Arrival and particularly Sicario were a big part of why those films packed the punch they did. Sicario’s propulsive percussion was the kind of thing cinema surround sound was designed for. RIP.

John Gavin, a Hollywood veteran who appeared in classic films Psycho and Spartacus, has died aged 86.

The American actor who once served as US ambassador to Mexico under Ronald Reagan, died Friday morning (9 February) after a battle with leukaemia.

Gavin - real name John Anthony Golenor - enjoyed a high profile in Hollywood following his debut lead role in Douglas Sirk film A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958), a melodrama revered for its depiction of Germans towards the end of WWII made just 14 years after it ended. Gavin starred in Imitation of Life a year later alongside Lana Turner and Sandra Dee.

He followed that up with a role in Alfred Hitchock's horror Classic Psycho, in which he played Sam Loomis, the boyfriend of Janet Leigh's doomed Marion Crane, and Stanley Kubrick's Oscar-winning epic Spartacus as Julius Caesar opposite Kirk Douglas' titular slave.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/john-gavin-dead-psycho-imitation-of-life-james-bond-a8203996.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jóhannsson is a huge loss. One of the most promising composers to emerge in the last decade. And he was just starting to spread his wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Marje wrote: »
    Actor Reg E. Cathey, who played Freddy on “House of Cards” and appeared in “The Wire,” has died. He was 59.

Known for his distinctive baritone voice, Reginald Eugene Cathey began acting in 1984 in a television movie called “A Doctor’s Story.” He guest starred on numerous television shows, playing Norman Wilson in seasons four and five of “The Wire” as well as in “Grimm,” “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “House of Cards,” and drama “Outcast.”

Cathey won an Emmy for outstanding guest actor in a drama series in 2015 for his work on “House of Cards.” He was previously nominated in 2014 and received another nomination in 2016 for the same role.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/obituaries-people-news/reg-cathey-dead-dies-the-wire-house-of-card-1202694366/

Reginald E. Cathey also appeared briefly as "Al" in American Psycho. A memorable scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Reginald E. Cathey also appeared briefly as "Al" in American Psycho. A memorable scene.

Very sad. I'll always remember him for his excellent turn as Martin Querns in Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BeginAgain

Ren Osugi

Japan Times
    Japanese actor Ren Osugi, best known for his supporting roles in director Takeshi Kitano’s yakuza films, died Wednesday from a heart attack, according to TV Tokyo. He was 66.

According to the network, Osugi had complained of stomach pain on Tuesday after shooting scenes for the TV drama series “By Players.” He was taken to hospital later that night and died early the next morning.

Osugi appeared in numerous movies and TV dramas and was well-known as an outstanding actor having played a wide variety of characters, with roles ranging from a gangster to a family man.

The Tokushima Prefecture native joined a theatrical company in 1974 and made his film debut in 1980.

His film credits include roles in Kitano’s “Sonatine” and “Hana-bi,” as well as “Postman Blues” directed by Sabu, and Yoichi Sai’s “Inu Hashiru.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Emma Chambers from Notting Hill dead at 53

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43183354

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Have never seen Notting Hill, but I've seen a good bit of the Vicar of Dibley over the years, in which she was great fun. Fifty three is no age.

Bud Luckey, Oscar-Nominated Animator Who Designed Woody for 'Toy Story,' Dies at 83.
    The early Pixar employee also created counting cartoons for 'Sesame Street' and voiced characters in 'The Incredibles' and 'Winnie the Pooh.'
    Bud Luckey, the Oscar-nominated animator whose charming Sesame Street cartoons taught generations of children how to count and who is credited with coming up with the cowboy design for Woody of Toy Story, has died. He was 83.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bud-luckey-dead-oscar-nominated-animator-who-designed-woody-toy-story-was-83-1088229

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lewis Gilbert has died - best known for James Bond, esp Roger Moore era and two great Michael Caine films - Alfie and Educating Rita.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/27/spy-who-loved-me-alfie-lewis-gilbert-dies-michael-caine-james-bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Lewis Gilbert has died - best known for James Bond, esp Roger Moore era and two great Michael Caine films - Alfie and Educating Rita.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/27/spy-who-loved-me-alfie-lewis-gilbert-dies-michael-caine-james-bond

Good innings for him. Directed his last film 15 years ago at 82. He did 3 Bond films, You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Film Producer Benjamin Melniker died aged 104.

https://batman-news.com/2018/02/27/batman-film-producer-benjamin-melniker-has-died/

Film Producer Michael Uslan left this tribute for him on Facebook.
    It is with such sadness that I tell you of the passing of my Batman partner, the legendary Benjamin Melniker (1913-2018).

“Legendary” is the only word capable of describing the man who started work at MGM in late 1939 and came to be known as “The MGM Lion” for his forcefulness in negotiating the deals for the studio while building his reputation for integrity at the same time. It was Ben who taught me, “The only thing you get to take with you when you die AND leave behind is your good name.”

Ben ascended at MGM, becoming sole Executive Vice President and all divisions reported to him. He was also Chairman of the Film Selection Committee and a member of the parent Loews board. Ben put together the deals for Ben-Hur, Dr. Zhivago, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Gigi and their musicals of that Tiffany era of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. He was invited to the White House by LBJ along with Lew Wasserman, Arthur Krim, and the other studio heads to form the MPAA. Ben negotiated the Paramount Consent Decree of 1948 in which the government ordered the split between Loews and MGM. He appeared before the Supreme Court with also legendary lawyer, Louis Nizer. In the 1970’s, Ben invented the Canadian Tax Shelter deal used to finance many movies of that era.

In 1979, Ben believed in me and in my outlandish idea to buy the rights to Batman in order to show the world the TRUE” Batman as created in 1939 by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, a creature of the night who stalks disturbed villains in the shadows, in a series of dark and serious movies. Ten long years later, thanks to the relentless efforts of Ben, we succeeded, changed the comic book industry, changed the movie industry, and changed history.

Ben was a humble man, never wishing attention. He turned down endless requests to write his book or do interviews about The Golden Age of Hollywood, especially in his latter years as he became the last mogul standing from that era. He told me that he knew all the stories of what transpired behind the curtain at MGM in those decades, but would never reveal things that could negatively impact those people, their children or their grandchildren. Ben was a mensch.

He owns the Hollywood record books as far as I can tell. He actively worked in the industry over nine decades, and this year will still receive on-screen credit past his 105th birthday. Not only was he active in the industry for 79 years, he was sharp right up until the last day.

I’ll finish my tribute with a story. Back in the early 1990s, Ben and I set up a deal at Hanna-Barbera. The executive there informed us that Joe Barbera was in his office that day and asked if we would like to meet him. I was excited. Ben didn’t say a word. As we walked into Joe Barbera‘s office, he looked up, ran over and gave Ben a bear hug as tears were streaming from his eyes. He turned to me and said, “If it wasn’t for this man, there would have been no Hanna-Barbera… No Flintstones, no Jetsons, nothing!” He went on to explain that it was Ben who pushed Fred Quimby to hire Joe and Bill Hanna initially in the MGM animation unit. When MGM was closing the animation unit, Joe and Bill went to Ben and explained they were going to leave to try to set up their own company. As a thank you to them in appreciation for all their hard work, he said Ben arranged for them to have the rights to “Tom and Jerry” for an upfront payment of $10 in order to help them start their business.

That was Ben. “The MGM Lion” had a soft side and at the end of the day it was all about integrity.

He was my partner. He helped make my dreams come true. He was my second father. I always knew this day had to come, but after 105 years, I never thought it would.

“Benjamin Melniker.” Remember the name. He has left it behind for all the rest of us to aspire to.

10584109_1751485604914553_825567901852578738_n.jpg?oh=5d62a1bfa32907efc0604e88b40803ca&oe=5B0A5FDC

https://www.facebook.com/TheMichaelUslan/photos/a.654623804600744.1073741825.385460978183696/1751485604914553/?type=3

Fine age. He certainly lead a wonderful career. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyknight

David Ogden Stiers , most notably known for playing DR. Charles Winchester III in M*A*S*H (October 31, 1942 - March 3, 2018), of bladder cancer
    http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/david-ogden-stiers-dead-dies-mash-1202716860/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lari White, singer, occasional actress, died end of January. Was in the last scene of Cast Away where she gives directions to Tom Hanks. (Was it thought/understood that they got together in that film?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

MfMan wrote: »
    Lari White, singer, occasional actress, died end of January. Was in the last scene of Cast Away where she gives directions to Tom Hanks. (Was it thought/understood that they got together in that film?)

Yes that’s what I hope happens as they leave it open ended for the viewer to make up their own ideas on the ending. 52 is to young to die complications from Cancer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In the script, yes, but they cut out most of her scenes in order to make it ambiguous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terrible news emerging from Japan tonight that the great Isao Takahata has passed away aged 82.

He is the ‘other’ great Studio Ghibli director, responsible for masterpieces such as Pom Poko, Grave of the Fireflies and most recently the Tale of The Princess Kaguya. He reinvented himself with every film, constantly pushing himself out of his comfort zone. Where Miyazaki developed a comforting, familiar house style (with a few exceptions), Takahata was the experimenter - from the comic book stylings of My Neighbours the Yamadas to the stunning classical stylings of his final feature, you never quite know what you’re getting with his films, and that is such a delightful thrill.

A genuine legend of cinema.

www.indiewire.com/2018/04/isao-takahata-dead-dies-studio-ghibli-grave-of-the-fireflies-1201949581/amp/

Milos Forman who directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Firemen's Ball and Man on the Moon amongst others has died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/milos-forman-dead-cuckoos-nest-amadeus-director-was-86-861207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Milos Forman who directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Firemen's Ball and Man on the Moon amongst others has died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/milos-forman-dead-cuckoos-nest-amadeus-director-was-86-861207

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus have possibly two of my favourite endings scenes in a movie ever :D R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

R. Lee Ermey, best known for his iconic role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, has died. He also appeared in Mississippi Burning and Se7en, among other things, and voiced Sarge in the Toy Story films.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

R. Lee Ermey, best known for his iconic role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, has died. He also appeared in Mississippi Burning and Se7en, among other things, and voiced Sarge in the Toy Story films.

He was great in the Frighteners too, RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Wasn't he also House's dad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

p to the e wrote: »
    Wasn't he also House's dad?

Aye.

• Advertisement

And that of The Janitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I can't believe that was posted in this thread instead of one being created for it. I saw it on the Independent and it was an article about Michael Douglas paying tribute to him. I couldn't see an article announcing his death.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus are absolute classics. I could understand people making a case for either being their favourite film of all time. Not many directors I would say that about. I've only seen MOTM and The People vs Larry Flynt as well, but really enjoyed them both.

It's a sad one for the film world.

NOW HEAR THIS!

R Lee Ermey has died :( he is in all his gory glory

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BeginAgain

South Korean actress Choi Eun Hee(92) has passed away. She would be more know in the west as the leading lady who was kidnapped along with her husband by the North Koreans on the orders of Kim Jong Il. They went on to make 17 movies in the North. She later managed to escape with her husband when abroad and returned to South Korea.

Vittorio Taviani has died as well. Bad week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Poor old green grass checked out last week.he was the best part of classic heart beat.rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Poor old green grass checked out last week.he was the best part of classic heart beat.rip

Ah...my old folks used to love that show. Personally, I thought it was awful. But they had a soft spot for Greengrass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ah...my old folks used to love that show. Personally, I thought it was awful. But they had a soft spot for Greengrass.

I like it and green grass was brilliant in it.an old school harmless kind of villain always up to a trick to make a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Verne Troyer, best known for playing Mini-Me in the Austin Powers films, has died, aged 49.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

He had been ill with alcohol poisoning recently. He never seemed able to handle the scrutiny from the films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is sad news. R.I.P. Mini-Me. :(

I read that one of his earliest roles was as a stunt double in Baby's Day Out. I'm not sure what character he doubled for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was watching Cool Hand Luke some last night. Have just discovered that Charles Tyner died last November, (played one of the prison bosses in the film.) Wonderful slimey character actor, played the cruel store trader in The Outlaw Josie Wales etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Was watching Cool Hand Luke some last night. Have just discovered that Charles Tyner died last November, (played one of the prison bosses in the film.) Wonderful slimey character actor, played the cruel store trader in The Outlaw Josie Wales etc.

Watched it last night too.....on TCM right?:)

Still a great movie after all these years.

A quick check on imdb shows he had parts in some really good 70s movies.

In addition to Josey Wales, he was in Harold & Maude, Monte Walsh, Jeremiah Johnson and The Longest Yard.
    RIP.

Anne Coates - film editor. Academy Award winner for Laurence of Arabia and nominated for others including Elephant Man, In the Line of Fire and Out of Sight. She reached the grand age of 92 having her last credit only 3 years ago (50 Shades of Grey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tom Wolfe author of The Right Stuff and Bonfire of the Vanities has passed away aged 88. RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Aww! Never seen Bonfire, but I read the book and thought it was fantastic. Saw Right Stuff but a long time ago, and it's on the reading pile to get to some day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Margot Kidder has died at the age 69. She is best known for playing Lois Lane in the Superman films with Christopher Reeve. She died yesterday am surprised it was not posted here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Margot Kidder has died at the age 69. She is best known for playing Lois Lane in the Superman films with Christopher Reeve. She died yesterday am surprised it was not posted here.

Yeah that was moved to it’s own thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057872038

• Advertisement

Bill gold
    legendary poster designer , 70 year career RIP

THE EXORCIST, GET CARTER, MARATHON MAN, MISSISSIPPI BURNING, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, BARRY LYNDON, CASABLANCA, BULITT, clockwork orange

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/obituaries/bill-gold-dead-movie-posters.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gold

Advertisement