Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

Well if it's any consolation we gave Kerry by far and away their toughest test in the championship.

Not much consolation, i'd say. A bit more tactical brains on the sideline and Mayo would of had 3 in a row now. Today's would of been the easiest, terrible final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not much consolation, i'd say. A bit more tactical brains on the sideline and Mayo would of had 3 in a row now. Today's would of been the easiest, terrible final.

No consolation at all.
    More like how the f..ck can Mayo continue to fail when less than vintage Kerry teams play poorly and still win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fowler87 wrote: »
    If only Kerry shooting was as bad against us...

It was in Limerick
    In the first half anyway, and we still could not beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Higgins, Boyler & O' Conner in sunday game team of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

KMFCross wrote: »
    Higgins, Boyler & O' Conner in sunday game team of the year

Think thats fair. Maybe A. Se could have gotten in. But Flynn & Connolly were both superb this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is this official as paddy power still havent paid out on my bet for the 6/1 bet on noel to get the job. lets hope they dont pull a fast one over the join managers bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

irishgeo wrote: »
    is this official as paddy power still havent paid out on my bet for the 6/1 bet on noel to get the job. lets hope they dont pull a fast one over the join managers bit.

They could halve the odds I'm not sure, was Holmes in the betting too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

seanhynes wrote: »
    They could halve the odds I'm not sure, was Holmes in the betting too?

Yes I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

They haven't been 'officially' appointed yet lads, that happens this week so that's probably why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

According to MidWest a number of executives have resigned due to the way that the hiring of Connelly and Holmes has occurred. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

yop wrote: »
    According to MidWest a number of executives have resigned due to the way that the hiring of Connelly and Holmes has occurred. FFS.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
    Selection process all sems to have been done very hastily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Heard that 1 executive resigned, and others were not happy with the way the process played out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Really not a good start if this is the case.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

its a mess. it seems some parties were determined to rush the decision through........why? If they felt so strongly that the two
    lads were the strongest candidates what difference would a week or 2 make......

km79 wrote: »
    its a mess. it seems some parties were determined to rush the decision through........why? If they felt so strongly that the two

Thats what needs to be explained. I do think they were a better choice, but only on the basis of their credentials, if it comes out (IF been the word) otherwise, then its farcical stuff. Time will tell but I think if there are disgruntled members on the board then it might come out. The Mayo News carry a report about it this week it seems, haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Something is rotten on the county board has being for yrs.its true one man has resigned he's from the same club as the o sheas.
    Interviews where only to be held this week as with it was for horan 4yrs ago,it was rushed through the new process with out all the county board members being informed.
    The man that resigned is a great gaa man,he could not stand behind they way it was done.
    This is going to cause holy war when all the details come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Something is rotten on the county board has being for yrs.its true one man has resigned he's from the same club as the o sheas.
    Interviews where only to be held this week as with it was for horan 4yrs ago,it was rushed through the new process with out all the county board members being informed.
    The man that resigned is a great gaa man,he could not stand behind they way it was done.
    This is going to cause holy war when all the details come out

has the appointment actually been ratified officially yet?
    no matter what way it goes now damage is being done and it does not bode well for new management

• Advertisement

has the appointment actually been ratified officially yet?
    no matter what way it goes now damage is being done and it does not bode well for new management

Don't think it should actually effect the management, as I THINK they would have got it anyway, but why they needed to do it this way has to be explained. They can no longer just shrug their shoulders on this and need to comment.

I hope it won't reflect on Connelly as he is a well capable guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The County Board are shown up as liars, stop the press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

They were rushed through before the selection committee had even time to organise themselves. It was a sham from the start.

Like you said, no problem if Connelly and Holmes were the best candidates. But there's not much in it between them and McStay. Holmes struggled in the championship for Mayo, Connelly has no senior managerial experience. We don't know if its a joint managerialship, which in any case never works anywhere, or if not who the number 1 is. McStay at the very least deserved an interview, he's won a club all-ireland which in most other counties actually counts for something, but clearly not in Mayo.

The whole rush was to make sure McStay and McHale didn't get it, who are a far better team in my view.

Don't think it should actually effect the management, as I THINK they would have got it anyway, but why they needed to do it this way has to be explained. They can no longer just shrug their shoulders on this and need to comment.

I hope it won't reflect on Connelly as he is a well capable guy.

Clearly the Connelly supporters on the County Board felt there was a risk he wouldn't get it if it went through a normal process. You know a process where both candidates are interviewed fairly, an open and transparant process.

The most important job in Mayo football and there wasn't even proper interviews for it. What a mess.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Look at the all-ireland right now. No positions, zonal assignments. Football has moved on and the guys with mayo over the past 4 years were cutting edge or so i have heard. Nothing against McHale at all.

To borrow your phrase, this is rubbish too.

McStay has always had McHale as his assistant. The partnership has been very successful. I'm going to accept McStay's judgement over yours. Clearly he feels McHale brings something to the table. Whether you can discern his talents or not is irrelevant. You can't win an All-Ireland club title with a manager effectively carrying an assistant. McHale's credentials at senior level are far more discernible than Noel Connelly's.

• Advertisement

realweirdo wrote: »
    To borrow your phrase, this is rubbish too.

McStay has always had McHale as his assistant. The partnership has been very successful. I'm going to accept McStay's judgement over yours. Clearly he feels McHale brings something to the table. Whether you can discern his talents or not is irrelevant. You can't win an All-Ireland club title with a manager effectively carrying an assistant. McHale's credentials at senior level are far more discernible than Noel Connelly's.

I'd have to rate been manager over an U21 AI win above been assistant to a club final win. Connelly was captain of his county something McHale didn't inherit during his years playing for us.
    Based on achievements for club and county on a managerial level there is no comparison between McStay/McHale and Connelly/Holmes.
    McStay or McHale have no intercounty managerial experience, both Connelly and Holmes do.

Time will tell, but whether it be for a good or bad reason why this was fast tracked, it needs to be out in the open.

I'd have to rate been manager over an U21 AI win above been assistant to a club final win. Connelly was captain of his county something McHale didn't inherit during his years playing for us.
    Based on achievements for club and county on a managerial level there is no comparison between McStay/McHale and Connelly/Holmes.
    McStay or McHale have no intercounty managerial experience, both Connelly and Holmes do.

Time will tell, but whether it be for a good or bad reason why this was fast tracked, it needs to be out in the open.

Ok Yop, here goes. Let me show you what a sham this whole thing was and how some people like you have been fooled by this sham.

Selection Committee Interviews.

Q. What is your senior managerial experience?
    McStay - I won a club All-Ireland championship with Brigids
    Connelly - Umm, er...can I get back to you on that one?

Q. Who will be your assistant?
    McStay - Liam McHale of course, my assistant through all my successes. People mightn't like him but I work well with him and that's the most important thing. It's not a popularity contest. If you want that, try X-Factor.
    Connelly - Well, I'm not sure, maybe Pat Holmes, not sure yet. Maybe he'll be co-manager or my assistant, it's all up in the air. Sure we will decide all that later.

You can see now why Connelly supporters wanted to avoid the Selection Committee interviews. They hadn't a hope. The Connelly supporters tried to pull a fast one, have been exposed for the liars they are.

There is only one real solution to this, a re-running of the process and proper interviews. And no more fast ones that have made the county a laughing stock.

PS McStay and McHale managed the u21s to the All-Ireland final of 2001 where they were beaten by one of the greatest u21 sides in the history of the competition.

Ok Yop, here goes. Let me show you what a sham this whole thing was and how some people like you have been fooled by this sham.

Selection Committee Interviews.

McStay - I won a club All-Ireland championship with Brigids
    Connelly - Umm, er...can I get back to you on that one?

McStay - Liam McHale of course, my assistant through all my successes. People mightn't like him but I work well with him and that's the most important thing. It's not a popularity contest. If you want that, try X-Factor.
    Connelly - Well, I'm not sure, maybe Pat Holmes, not sure yet. Maybe he'll be co-manager or my assistant, it's all up in the air. Sure we will decide all that later.

You can see now why Connelly supporters wanted to avoid the Selection Committee interviews. They hadn't a hope. The Connelly supporters tried to pull a fast one, have been exposed for the liars they are.

There is only one real solution to this, a re-running of the process and proper interviews. And no more fast ones that have made the county a laughing stock.

Not fooled at all, just pointing out the facts you obviously missed.....

McStay - I won a club All-Ireland championship with Brigids. Lost U21 final.
    Connelly - Managed Mayo U21 to an All-Ireland win with current Mayo senior members; Manage Hollymount/Carramore and currently in a club semi final. Deeply involved in the Mayo GAA academy.
    McStay - Liam McHale of course, my assistant through all my successes. People mightn't like him but I work well with him and that's the most important thing. It's not a popularity contest. If you want that, try X-Factor. Though hasn't managed anything in the senior ranks. He was selector though in 2004 when Mayo got hammered out the gate by Kerry. Selector on Clare team which didn't reape success. But ya we are brother in laws, so need to keep it in the family.

Connelly - Pat Holmes (there was never a doubt), ex manager of Mayo seniors winning a league title in 2001, managed Castlebar to an All-Ireland club final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

That would def be a waste of time. Call McStay to an interview for a position that he knows he is not wanted for.... your having a laugh. What can he say to Paddy Mac that will change his mind....nothing. Out of respect for McStay that would be an injustice to have an interview. Its done and dusted, time to move on. Yes the county board acted childish but don't drag Connelly/Homes through a further sham of an interview process just to satisfy the media.

Only way this could be more laughable is if the position was filled by a jobbridge intern :rolleyes:

Not fooled at all, just pointing out the facts you obviously missed.....

McStay - I won a club All-Ireland championship with Brigids. Lost U21 final.
    Connelly - Managed Mayo U21 to an All-Ireland win with current Mayo senior members; Manage Hollymount/Carramore and currently in a club semi final. Deeply involved in the Mayo GAA academy.
    McStay - Liam McHale of course, my assistant through all my successes. People mightn't like him but I work well with him and that's the most important thing. It's not a popularity contest. If you want that, try X-Factor. Though hasn't managed anything in the senior ranks. He was selector though in 2004 when Mayo got hammered out the gate by Kerry. Selector on Clare team which didn't reape success. But ya we are brother in laws, so need to keep it in the family.

Connelly - Pat Holmes (there was never a doubt), ex manager of Mayo seniors winning a league title in 2001, managed Castlebar to an All-Ireland club final.

In other words no senior managerial experience? Thought so. Don't call us, we'll call you. Oh wait, what's that, your brother is assistant County Board Secretary? Well why didn't you say so. The job is yours. You should have told us before the interview you know. We'll give McStay the bad news now, no point even interviewing him, I mean he's achieved nothing right.

• Advertisement

Ascii wrote: »
    That would def be a waste of time. Call McStay to an interview for a position that he knows he is not wanted for.... your having a laugh. What can he say to Paddy Mac that will change his mind....nothing. Out of respect for McStay that would be an injustice to have an interview. Its done and dusted, time to move on. Yes the county board acted childish but don't drag Connelly/Homes through a further sham of an interview process just to satisfy the media.

Only way this could be more laughable is if the position was filled by a jobbridge intern :rolleyes:

The County Board or several members on it have been shown to be completely bankrupt when it comes to doing what's best for Mayo football. The top job deserves at the very least more than a rubber stamping of one candidate who didn't even have to face a selection committee panel. I'd wager the Kilkenny football team had a more thorough and better selection process than this.

In other words no senior managerial experience? Thought so. Don't call us, we'll call you. Oh wait, what's that, your brother is assistant County Board Secretary? Well why didn't you say so. The job is yours. You should have told us before the interview you know. We'll give McStay the bad news now, no point even interviewing him, I mean he's achieved nothing right.

And McStays senior managerial experience is.....

His brother is Vincent Neary....... http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/18067/executive

At least get the facts right if you want a discussion. Your not getting too many right so far ;)

The County Board or several members on it have been shown to be completely bankrupt when it comes to doing what's best for Mayo football. The top job deserves at the very least more than a rubber stamping of one candidate who didn't even have to face a selection committee panel. I'd wager the Kilkenny football team had a more thorough and better selection process than this.

Bankrupt... seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Managing St.Brigids to an All-Ireland club win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

To be honest lads whatever about the sham that was the interview process...they have a top class backroom team in place so we should be optimistic. Buckley has had a massive impact on the team & retaining him is a big coup.

Winning a senior club All-Ireland, beating Crossmaglen along the way, considered by many the greatest club side in the history of the competition.

Here's a reminder:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0216/368092-st-brigids-crossmaglen/
    Whatever Kevin McStay said to his charges at half time, it worked.

They came out playing with controlled aggression and they fed off the energy of the crowd which was largely clad in green and red.

More on McStay's approach which we could have badly done with in Mayo

http://www.roscommonherald.ie/2013/03/12/now-or-never-for-st-brigids/
    A key factor in St. Brigid’s march to Croke Park this season has been the performance of their management team. While they won’t dare to admit it, the brief assigned to Kevin McStay, Liam McHale and Benny O’Brien was very straightforward – win an All-Ireland club championship.

They have gone about building a panel with greater depth than ever before. McStay has scoured the club for the best players available, and while the club’s intermediate and junior teams may suffer down the line as a result, McStay has given every player good enough a chance and has correctly made no apologies to anyone for doing so.

Opponents have been studied meticulously. A game plan has been devised and carried out with the clinical precision that McStay would demand given his army background. Horses have been picked for courses. That’s why there will be players, who did what was asked of them in the All-Ireland semi-final, getting the crushing news this week that they’ll have to settle for a place on the bench on St. Patrick’s Day.

There is absolutely no question that McStay is a first rate coach, one of the top coaches in the country. The club All-Ireland is a difficult competition to win, up there with a Senior All-Ireland. There are more competitive clubs than there are competitive counties in the AI.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Managing St.Brigids to an All-Ireland club win?
    No county senior experience though, thats the key here in this. Though thats why Holmes was brought in along with Connelly.

The Connelly/Holmes team has a stronger CV than McStay and McHale, thats well obvious.
    At the end of the day the decision is made, if people don't like the management team then they will need to deal with that. Even the players weren't keen on McHale and that says a lot.

His brother is Vincent Neary....... http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/18067/executive

At least get the facts right if you want a discussion. Your not getting too many right so far ;)

Vice Chairman of the County Board I meant to say. The core facts remain the same. He should have temporarily stepped aside.

Winning a senior club All-Ireland, beating Crossmaglen along the way, considered by many the greatest club side in the history of the competition.

Here's a reminder:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0216/368092-st-brigids-crossmaglen/

More on McStay's approach which we could have badly done with in Mayo

http://www.roscommonherald.ie/2013/03/12/now-or-never-for-st-brigids/

There is absolutely no question that McStay is a first rate coach, one of the top coaches in the country. The club All-Ireland is a difficult competition to win, up there with a Senior All-Ireland. There are more competitive clubs than there are competitive counties in the AI.

Holmes managed Mayo to beat Galway in the league final in 2001... who own the AI that year?

An article by a Roscommon paper on McStay....

Top coaches based on what exactly? Winning a title with Brigids, how many senior intercounty management jobs has McStay gone for now? He threw his hat into the ring for the Kildare job and didn't even get an interview... sound familiar?

And winning a club title as hard as winning an AI title...seriously :D

Barlett wrote: »
    To be honest lads whatever about the sham that was the interview process...they have a top class backroom team in place so we should be optimistic. Buckley has had a massive impact on the team & retaining him is a big coup.

Exactly, 3 top class lads there with proven records in place now. Time to stop throwing the toys out now and get behind the team.

• Advertisement

No county senior experience though, thats the key here in this. Though thats why Holmes was brought in along with Connelly.

The Connelly/Holmes team has a stronger CV than McStay and McHale, thats well obvious.
    At the end of the day the decision is made, if people don't like the management team then they will need to deal with that. Even the players weren't keen on McHale and that says a lot.

There's too much doubt here. There's a doubt if Holmes can fully committ to the job. I have my doubts he can. There's a doubt who really is the number 1. There's a doubt who has the final say. There's a doubt if joint management works.

All these doubts could have been shown up in a proper interview process.

The whole point which you keep failing to get is that there should have been an interview process of both candidates, and their answers weighed up. It should have been thorough as with any job. Different scenarios should have been weighed up. What would the candidate do in certain situations, eg a key forward gets injured, the opposing team makes a late change, decides to use certain tactics.

In all jobs you measure a candidate on their experience but just as importantly how they do in an interview.

Holmes managed Mayo to beat Galway in the league final in 2001... who own the AI that year?

An article by a Roscommon paper on McStay....

Top coaches based on what exactly? Winning a title with Brigids, how many senior intercounty management jobs has McStay gone for now? He threw his hat into the ring for the Kildare job and didn't even get an interview... sound familiar?

And winning a club title as hard as winning an AI title...seriously :D

I was listening to an interview with James O'Donohue on Monday. He said if he never won a league medal he wouldn't lose any sleep over it. That's how seriously most counties treat the league. They don't even bother other than not to get relegated. It was also 13 years ago FFS. Do you know how much the game has moved on since then? He also couldn't even win a Connacht Title, the bit that actually matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Whatever about the improprieties of the selection process, I find the belittling of Connelly's credentials and the associated vaunting of McStay's to be very bizarre.

Anyone looking at the two tickets objectively would say there is very little to choose between their achievements on balance.

There's too much doubt here. There's a doubt if Holmes can fully committ to the job. I have my doubts he can. There's a doubt who really is the number 1. There's a doubt who has the final say. There's a doubt if joint management works.

All these doubts could have been shown up in a proper interview process.

The whole point which you keep failing to get is that there should have been an interview process of both candidates, and their answers weighed up. It should have been thorough as with any job. Different scenarios should have been weighed up. What would the candidate do in certain situations, eg a key forward gets injured, the opposing team makes a late change, decides to use certain tactics.

In all jobs you measure a candidate on their experience but just as importantly how they do in an interview.
    You have doubts over Holmes committment... whats that based on exactly?
    You could equally say then that you would have doubts over McStays committment, both unfounded statements, but if we are making stuff up then why not.

So an interview is more important than a CV and experience...seriously, not in the area I work would that carry any merit thats for sure, if they CV/experience isn't there then you aren't going to waster your time or theirs.
    I was listening to an interview with James O'Donohue on Monday. He said if he never won a league medal he wouldn't lose any sleep over it. That's how seriously most counties treat the league. They don't even bother other than not to get relegated. It was also 13 years ago FFS. Do you know how much the game has moved on since then? He also couldn't even win a Connacht Title, the bit that actually matters.

He is from Kerry, with 37 titles, a league title to Kerry and maybe Dublin is small fry, to Mayo it is still a big thing.
    Winning connacht means v little actually, you don't have to win Connacht to win an AI.

Think you just need to accept that the decision has been made and the 2 candidates are now in place and back them like most around. If you dont like it then thats up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whatever about the improprieties of the selection process, I find the belittling of Connelly's credentials and the associated vaunting of McStay's to be very bizarre.

Anyone looking at the two tickets objectively would say there is very little to choose between their achievements on balance.

Have to agree with this.
    There's no doubt the selection process has been a shambles, but there is very little between the 2. Probably more continuity with Connelly than with McStay and if anything, we need that rather than sea change right now.

You have doubts over Holmes committment... whats that based on exactly?
    You could equally say then that you would have doubts over McStays committment, both unfounded statements, but if we are making stuff up then why not.

So an interview is more important than a CV and experience...seriously, not in the area I work would that carry any merit thats for sure, if they CV/experience isn't there then you aren't going to waster your time or theirs.

He is from Kerry, with 37 titles, a league title to Kerry and maybe Dublin is small fry, to Mayo it is still a big thing.
    Winning connacht means v little actually, you don't have to win Connacht to win an AI.

Think you just need to accept that the decision has been made and the 2 candidates are now in place and back them like most around. If you dont like it then thats up to you.

Right we are going around in circles here and we are not going to respect the others views. I know where I stand, I know where you stand.

In case you don't know where I stand, I think the Mayo County Board are a joke and a shambles. Neither candidate was properly interviewed. There was a big song and dance about a selection committee panel being set up and yet neither candidate was interviewed by this panel, and Connelly was awarded the job. Anyone who thinks this is acceptable does not have the best interests of Mayo football at heart. For the most menial of jobs in any sector, there are interviews, in fact I believe it's the law. But for the top job in Mayo football, they don't feel a need for it.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

keane2097 wrote: »

It's a bit more complex than that. Fair enough if people think there is little between the two, I have no problem with that. But the modern game is about inches, small percentages, and key tactics at important times in big games.

Connelly's last big achievement was in 2006 at under 21. The game has changed massively since then. Everything from tactics on the field to coaching, strength and conditioning, sports psychology and preparation off it.

Put it this way.

Let's imagine the Kerry Senior County management job came up. There were two candidates for it. Candidate 1 had a relation on the County Board. Candidate 2 was just as good as candidate 1 but unfortunately doesn't have the same connections.

Candidate 1 gets the job, no interviews of either candidate.

How would you feel about it? As a Kerry supporter would you be happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

It's a bit more complex than that. Fair enough if people think there is little between the two, I have no problem with that. But the modern game is about inches, small percentages, and key tactics at important times in big games.

Connelly's last big achievement was in 2006 at under 21. The game has changed massively since then. Everything from tactics on the field to coaching, strength and conditioning, sports psychology and preparation off it.

Put it this way.

Let's imagine the Kerry Senior County management job came up. There were two candidates for it. Candidate 1 had a relation on the County Board. Candidate 2 was just as good as candidate 1 but unfortunately doesn't have the same connections.

Candidate 1 gets the job, no interviews of either candidate.

How would you feel about it? As a Kerry supporter would you be happy?

You are talking some amount of rubbish. On paper, McStay and Connelly are very closely matched. Give over on the McStay rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It isn't just who was or was not interviewed.

You have to admit the way this has been carried out stinks.
    If you are a management board you can't agree to do one thing today and the very next day some of the management board totally disregard the agreed path and go off and do their own thing.

That is what appears to have happened here.
    And one member of the executive has walked in disgust at what has happened.
    I can't see a lot of other ones being happy with being treated as gimps.

How about there was a county council meeting tonight where a course of action was voted on and tomorrow the chairman and county manager said screw that and when off and did their own thing.
    There would be uproar.
    You either are some form of democracy or you are not, stop the bloody pretence.

So you are happy just so long as your preferred option gets it ?
    Be honest would you be happy if it was McStay that got it this way ?

We will never win an All-Ireland if this is how unprofessional the backroom is being managed.
    All this does is sow the seeds for people being disgruntled and cause people to be waiting in the long grass for their chance to put the knife in.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    It isn't just who was or was not interviewed.

You have to admit the way this has been carried out stinks.
    Have said it in many places already in this thread, I am not at all happy with the way its been done.
    If you are a management board you can't agree to do one thing today and the very next day some of the management board totally disregard the agreed path and go off and do their own thing.

That is what appears to have happened here.
    And one member of the executive has walked in disgust at what has happened.
    I can't see a lot of other ones being happy with being treated as gimps.
    This is Mayo county board, untouchable and answerable to now one, used it for the last 40 years, it never changes and unless someone figures out how this will be changed, then this wont be the last time this happens.

So you are happy just so long as your preferred option gets it ?
    Be honest would you be happy if it was McStay that got it this way ?

We will never win an All-Ireland if this is how unprofessional the backroom is being managed.
    All this does is sow the seeds for people being disgruntled and cause people to be waiting in the long grass for their chance to put the knife in.

I can't say I wouldn't have been happy with McStay either, I didn't think McHale was the ideal man to be there though, so my preference was the Connelly/holmes partnership.

We went through all this with the last appointment of O'Mahoney also, Moran was shafted back in 2006 due to a fallout with the board. So this has the same "smell" about it.
    That said I think/hope that Connelly and Holmes can do a job, if they don't then we are back to square one again, like we were after O'Mahoney disastrous spell in 2007.

Unless there is a massive public backlash from Mayo GAA club members then this team will be ratified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement