Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

9 years, 3 months and 4 days.

For all of you just into your first months, it just gets easier and easier.

When I stopped, it was the worry of what will I do instead rather than the cravings.

Then one day you will say to yourself 'I haven't even thought of drink for a couple of days'.

Stick with it, you've already done the most important part and that is to stop.

It's mad looking back. I've been sober for over half my life, 0-16, 34-43. And a vegetarian for the last 25 years. But alas, an idiot for the full 43.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Thanks haveabanana - love the way we are on the same time frame of our journey. What are you finding most challenging? Rewarding? Inspiring?

The most challenging thing I would say has been having to explain the whole thing to friends, every weekend. It gets tiresome. It's also challenging having to actually deal with your emotions, but in a good way. The best thing about not drinking is not having do deal with the horrible depression that used to hang over me for days after a heavy weekend. It's also nice to be able to buy new clothes, nice food and other stuff, whereas before going on the beer was the main financial priority, with all other good intentions to buy things, go places generally being sacrificed. How about you? Have you been going to meetings, or flying solo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Has anyone else experienced this? I have noticed that I am abusing coffee and stimulant drinks like red bull to get myself into a 'giddy' state. Esp when I am out socializing. It seems I may be substituting alcohol for these high caffeine drinks. Makes me actually quite anxious then when trying to sleep later that night and also the next day I feel a bit off balance. Decided today to stop drinking these drinks when out and get a pint of water with diluted orange instead. Also halving my coffee intake as it was getting out of hand. Don't know if any one else experienced this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Has anyone else experienced this? I have noticed that I am abusing coffee and stimulant drinks like red bull to get myself into a 'giddy' state. Esp when I am out socializing. It seems I may be substituting alcohol for these high caffeine drinks. Makes me actually quite anxious then when trying to sleep later that night and also the next day I feel a bit off balance. Decided today to stop drinking these drinks when out and get a pint of water with diluted orange instead. Also halving my coffee intake as it was getting out of hand. Don't know if any one else experienced this?

I'm definitely guilty of this.. I usually drink some strong camomile tea and take a Nitol or something at the end of a night out..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

31 Days for me today. I really hope it's a lifetime of sobriety for me - One Day At A Time.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

9 months today.

Feel great. This is not my firs time going on the wagon but definitely the longest. I feel a lot better about it this time round. I don't feel like I'm missing out anymore. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Yes, absolutely, for me giving up the drink was just the start of it and I'm working my way up the ladder of addictive behaviours and dropping as many as possible.

I've found a great way is to keep a list of things you don't want to do. Mine has 50+ items on it, things like:

I don't drink
    I don't take drugs
    I don't smoke cigarettes

And then less important but annoying habits:

I don't eat my snot
    I don't bite my fingernails
    I don't hate myself

etc.

I review this list every day and it makes me feel great about myself. I'm not militant about the smaller things but it's great to be reminded of them and of all the progress I've made...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

KeefF wrote: »
    31 Days for me today. I really hope it's a lifetime of sobriety for me - One Day At A Time.:o

Wow, time flies, great stuff :)

I'm the very same, also nine years on and I still haven't got out of the habit of eating late.

I would always drink on an empty stomach until I had reached my 'glow', then I would eat.

Now I love my food, and the sooner I can ram it down my neck the better but I guess there is still some residual habits lingering.

I'm already looking forward to Friday night. I'm going to watch the Queensland Reds at home with a seven o'clock kick off. But rather than having a decent meal beforehand (tea at teatime) I've already pencilled in a takeaway curry on the way home.

I guess I'm just greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I hear you on the coffee really need to cut back! Sugar as well,had 2 non alcos last might catching up with friends and listening to their horror story's from the weekend,awful lot to be said for waking up with a clear head and conscience!...oh I'm 5 months now :)

• Advertisement

It would seem I really need to cut back on coffee, sugar and high caffeine drinks.

Lent is a good place to start trying to limit myself...

It would seem I really need to cut back on coffee, sugar and high caffeine drinks.

Lent is a good place to start trying to limit myself...

Good as any...sure we'll all be better people tommorow ;)

Everything in moderation, they say, but that's the problem, I can't do anything in moderation at all. I'm defo all or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Has anyone gone on a stag weekend sober? I've two coming up over the summer, one I can get out of easily, but one is a friends. Can it be done? Would you just avoid completely?

Has anyone gone on a stag weekend sober? I've two coming up over the summer, one I can get out of easily, but one is a friends. Can it be done? Would you just avoid completely?

Personally speaking, I would just find a weekend event really boring.. if it was just a one night thing I could do it no problem... but a whole weekend of sitting around in a pub trying to keep up with the banter.. no thanks :o

I'm getting married next year and I've decided I don't even want a conventional Hen party.. instead I'm going on a Spa break with just a handful of my nearest and dearest.. nice and low key and relaxing.. and for ME.. not to please anyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

3 years! I don't miss it at all, I was a messy messy drunk!

I find our mindset makes or breaks events like this. AA's advice is to ask yourself your motives for going, is it to contribute to the event and people's happiness there, or is it to "steal a bit of the ole buzz" type of thing, in other words, are you on solid ground with booze or not? If not, don't go.

Many of us in the past were not exactly good at parties, lol..* bad semi-memories due to blackouts here*....and it can be a nice change for our friends to see us sober and enjoying life again. The attitude of "how can I make this a better event, what can I contribute", etc, sounds corny in the writing, but I have found it works :) I've been nervous over events beforehand and then ended up having a good time.

Most important is the knowledge that you can leave anytime you want.
    That is the true freedom of sobriety ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

I have one coming up in May and I chose to just do one night instead of two, seems more manageable when your the only sober one!

Everything in moderation, they say, but that's the problem, I can't do anything in moderation at all. I'm defo all or nothing

I know there's no off switch with me either its roaring drunk or nothing ,that was a big factor in me knocking it on the head!

I've a stag do away for a weekend in the summer I'm in two minds about it,its not the drinking,more the boredom and listening to drunk people if it was one night I'd be grand but two days off it!

Maybe go for one day and make your excuses as to why you can't attend the whole weekend??

• Advertisement

Maybe go for one day and make your excuses as to why you can't attend the whole weekend??

Its in Germany,to be fair the fella would understand if I don't go!

Well, another sad reality check (again). Just got word about an old friend of mine, hadn't seen him in a good while but we worked together for years,kept in touch through Facebook. He was a beautiful man, but he was a drunk, and he OD'd today. Seems it was an accidental, but he has left a wake of devastated people , two kids, and loads of family who really loved him. He tried to get sober many times, and could somehow never make it last. There but for the grace of God go I, go any of us, RIP :(

Sorry for your friend's family especially the kids.

If that's not a reality check for those browsing this forum who have not yet beaten the drink then I don't know what is.

That could have easily be any of us and YOU.

Sorry to hear the heartbreaking news about your friend 'Amazingfun'. It can be such a cruel world sometimes. May he RIP.

Sorry for your loss Amazingfun.. my heart goes out to those he leaves behind..

Haven't touched a drop in...

66 days. It seems like a lifetime, but I haven't gone out once so my cravings are curved as long as I refuse all invitations for social engagements.

Today, and tomorrow, for the first time this year however I have to attend a social occasion and it's tough as hell right now as I've just arrived in our hotel. I'm not a nice person and I'm a surprisingly unhappy person in this context. I'm overwhelmed and intimidated by this person and unable to comprehend where it's all coming from. Now, I have no place to get 'free', to 'relax' after a hard week's work. What's my 'reward' from now on/Is this worth it...

It's a real pity one cannot post anonymously in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

66 days. It seems like a lifetime, but I haven't gone out once so my cravings are curved as long as I refuse all invitations for social engagements.

Today, and tomorrow, for the first time this year however I have to attend a social occasion and it's tough as hell right now as I've just arrived in our hotel. I'm not a nice person and I'm a surprisingly unhappy person in this context. I'm overwhelmed and intimidated by this person and unable to comprehend where it's all coming from. Now, I have no place to get 'free', to 'relax' after a hard week's work. What's my 'reward' from now on/Is this worth it...

It's a real pity one cannot post anonymously in this forum.
    Hi
    Well done on the 66 days that's really good going. I don't what they are, but you could try to focus on the reasons why you stopped drinking to get through today & tomorrow. If you get cravings try play the tape forward and picture what will happen if you drink - how you will act, how you will feel, physical, emotional, financial impacts etc.
    With regards to being unhappy maybe you might consider why you are unhappy and see if you can get some support that might help you understand and effectively deal with these feelings such as AA, counsellor , meditation etc - whatever might work for you. What I have learned so far is stopping to drink is only part of ( a big part mind you). But if you don't change some of your beliefs, thinking, places you go, people you meet and situations you encounter it will be more difficult to change to living a happy sober life.
    Best of luck. I wish you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done everyone, we/you are all doing great here is a thought for today,

You should not dwell to much on the mistakes,faults & failures of the past.Be done with shame and remorse and contempt for yourself, With this communities help,develop a new self respect,unless you respect yourself,others will not respect you.you ran a race,you stumbled and fell, you have risen again,and now you press on toward your goal of a better life. Do not stay to examine the spot where you fell, only feel sorry for the delay, the shortsightedness that prevented you from seeing the real goal sooner..

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

30 months off the drink and life has never been better. Best decision I ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Cravings and Habits are quite powerful when ingrained.

In the 1980's Wolfram Schultz ran a series of experiments of macaque monkeys. They observed monkeys as they learned a series of tasks.

One experiment on a monkey called Julio involved pulling a lever in his cage whenever a shape appeared on a computer screen. When he pulled the lever a drop of blackberry juice was fed through a pipe in his cage.

As Julio learned the task and became more adept, he researchers noted the activity in Julio's brain spiked (the Joy part of his brain) when he got the blackberry juice.

He began to associate the Cue (shapes on the screen) with having to go through the routine (pull the lever) and he would get a reward (blackberry juice).

However, after the task became a habit for Julio, the researchers noted that the spike in brain activity occured when the Shapes appeared on the screen and there was no spike when Julio got his reward of juice.

He had begun to crave the reward. Now they would go through the tests again and sometimes they would either water down the juice or there would be no juice at all. Julio still experienced the spike but when there was no reward he would get agitated, mopey and depressed. He had developed a neurological craving for the blackberry juice.

The researchers also noted that he became obsessed with the screen waiting for the shapes to appear. He would ignore other food and even when the team opened his cage, he would remain fixated on the screen.

Fascinating stuff, as drinkers we may go through a similar routine.
    Triggers and cues may be something like being in a pub, or being stressed out. We go through the routine of going to the pub and getting our reward by getting pissed.

The key is to change the habit which is admittedly not straightforward.

In the book, The Power of Habit, it also states that it is how AA is quite powerful. In that, the drinker experiences a cue (craving for a drink), goes through a routine (goes to a meeting) and get's a reward (get's to speak to a group about the problem). They have replaced one (destructive habit) with a new (constructive) one.

Advertisement