Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I suspect some of the most fulfilling years of your life lay ahead. Welcome from me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

My big thing I need to 'get over' though is the stigma and shame of the word alcoholic and AA. .

This will subside eventually don't worry. You'll soon not care what anyone thinks and it's an amazing feeling. Just remember why you are going and that's all that matters.

I will be 2 1/2 years sober on Sunday. So much great changes in that period of time and life has never been better in every way. It's great to wake up and not have that feeling of doom anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Thanks folks (",)

I had the same struggles coming to terms with my sexuality. The stigma, shame etc - not a fan of labels but at the end of the day I AM WHAT I AM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Hi enoughalready, I don't drink by choice (just doesn't hold my interest) but wanted to post about travelling. I travelled to some amazing countries and it was so sad to see two people from my group passed out on the ground with plastic bags to vomit in it at 11.30am beneath some of the most beautiful sights in the world...they missed out....they could have stayed at home and being in their back garden for all they knew, not South America.

Well done with what you have achieved - spend the extra cash on your travels by doing the extra things like a sky dive or rafting or a helicopter ride - make even more special memories

Thanks bp - I hear you, your friends were not 'present' for their holiday. They didn't appreciate it and probably preferred to drink than really engage in this funny world. So glad to say that USED to be me. Many a time I would visit different European cities and all I ever saw was the walk to the pub and the taxi to the airport, everything else in between were big patches of hazy fog.
    Nowadays my eyes are more open than ever and I love discovering places, even if that's just Dublin city centre on a leisurely Sunday stroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

9 weeks.
    Today my Saturday consisted of :

-run first thing this morning;
    - meditation;
    - chilled out lunch with some family;
    - 2 AA meetings this evening;
    - Match of the Day;
    - Bed

A bit different than if I decided to have that first drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

KeefF wrote: »
    9 weeks.

- meditation;
    - Match of the Day;
    - Bed

You need to junk that MOTD and start watching Heineken Cup Rugby :)

marienbad wrote: »

I'll be glued to it at 5:30 pm tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

9 weeks.

- meditation;
    - Match of the Day;
    - Bed

Yeah, i'm finding my days off much more fulfilling now even of i don't do anything exciting.

I've already been for a walk this morning and it's nice to wake up feeling good.

I might do nothing for the rest of the day but at least i won't head to the offy at 1 or 2 and get a 6-8 pack of cans and end of feeling like crap by 6 or 7 and head to bed at 10 only to wake up feeling like crap tomorrow morning.

I just keep reminding myself of that situation (which i have experienced far too many times) every time i feel myself wanting to just have "a couple of drinks".

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

50 days today :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

anyone know where you can get sobriety coins?
    I'm 350 days dry today, wouldn't mind getting one in advance of the big anniversary coming.
    I don't attend AA.

souls wrote: »
    50 days today :D
    Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

100 days today

100 days today

Nice one, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Nice one, well done!

Cheers, gave up after new years. Initially for one month but really don't want to ever go back now. I'm doing lots of training and even got the coveted trainer of the month award last week in the gym. :)
    I've even been to the pub a few times with friends and I have no desire to drink. I have the car outside and split as soon as I want.
    Loving having a clear head all the time and I have a real positive outlook at the start of each week, I have a feeling of "here's another week, so many possibilities" compared to Monday mornings dying and praying for it to be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

10 days.

I discovered running and playing golf.

Practising at the driving range, and more importantly seeing an improvement, in the spring and summer evenings is a lot more attractive to me now than sitting in a pub getting pissed and miserable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

769 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

more than 10 years for me

I am on my 130th day SOBER.
    ...or my 18th week.... or 4 and a half months (",)

Starting to open up and talk about it now with my friends and family. There are still a lot of walls up and slowly but surely I want everyone to know that I'm serious about being sober and leaving alcohol in my past!

I have a litre of vodka in the cabinet which has been there since before Christmas, wouldn't it be so liberating it I could get it and smash it to pieces. It would be symbolic and therapeutic at the same time.

My self esteem and confidence are the two areas I need to work at, so I will make that my goal for the next few months. At times I am just full of self doubt and I have feelings of being unworthy or not good enough. Need to snap out of that, but easier said than done.

Hope everyone is enjoying the gorgeous day out there. Sunshine helps a lot!
    Stay strong and be brave x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

marienbad wrote: »

What you need is Super Rugby. I'm now hoarse after screaming at that clown Steve Walsh last night. But that's for another forum.

Drove there, drove back, still got carried away with the game all without the booze.

• Advertisement

What you need is Super Rugby. I'm now hoarse after screaming at that clown Steve Walsh last night. But that's for another forum.

Drove there, drove back, still got carried away with the game all without the booze.

Steve Walsh ! Enough to drive anyone to drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Russ T Banger

Good work lads! I used to be on a pint of vodka a day

70 days
    Since October I drank once in December and the 1st weekend in Feb.
    However this 70 days is the longest period of continuous sobriety I've ever had.
    Thanks for all your help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

Good work lads! I used to be on a pint of vodka a day
    Me too, or at least close to it. By time I finished I. Was drinking it in public from a paper bag. Almost eleven years total sobriety since then and believe me, if I could do it, it can be done. Best wishes to all for a sober and peaceful future.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

70 days
    Since October I drank once in December and the 1st weekend in Feb.
    However this 70 days is the longest period of continuous sobriety I've ever had.
    Thanks for all your help so far.

Well done KeefF!Stay the course brother,your a nose ahead of me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

souls wrote: »
    Well done KeefF!Stay the course brother,your a nose ahead of me! ;)
    Well done to you both and remember every journey begins with one step. And here's the best part- It need not be a hard journey...in fact you can enjoy the whole process of getting well as you build one sober day on top of another and you feel yourself getting better mentally, spiritually and physically. These are just my thoughts, I hope they bring you help and comfort.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I suspect some of the most fulfilling years of your life lay ahead.

A lovely thought, for each and every one of us.

Went to my second fellowship meeting today. It was a different group from the one previous. It was so uplifting to be in a room with 30 odd people and each and everyone in the room sharing and offering support and guidance. It really restores my faith in the human race.

I'm still observing in AA but after a few more I may be ready to speak and share my own thoughts and feelings.

Are any other boardies in AA? Any advice? 4 and a half months sober and going strong (",)

Went to my second fellowship meeting today. It was a different group from the one previous. It was so uplifting to be in a room with 30 odd people and each and everyone in the room sharing and offering support and guidance. It really restores my faith in the human race.

I'm still observing in AA but after a few more I may be ready to speak and share my own thoughts and feelings.

Are any other boardies in AA? Any advice? 4 and a half months sober and going strong (",)

I am going to AA for a long time now. The best advice I was given was that old cliché - identify and not compare - still works for me , that and listen ,always listen .

Don't worry about sharing , took me years .

That's just my twopence worth , others will have their view.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I attend AA - was at a meeting this evening.
    I haven't started the steps really but I go 3-4 times a week. What I get from it so far is listening to how other people have stopped drinking and are living sober. Also I am sharing aspects of where I am and taking on board bits and pieces I hear. It is important to me on a Sat eve - to have somewhere to go. I can't say I enjoy all the meetings but that's life. I do believe the more I go the better chance I have. I have to say that despite what I had heard before, no one in AA has ever taken me aside to give specific advice or offered their number etc. This may be down to me? However I have received several words of encouragement and I am slowly getting more integrated.

Advertisement