Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney acquires rights to Indiana Jones

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They'll have to re-cast Indy, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Yup, Harrison Ford is too old.

I think Kyle Chandler would do a great job. His performance in Super 8 had shades of Indiana Jones about him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to Spielberg, who seems rather keen to make up for Crystal Skull, Lucas is/was working on the story for Indy 5. Assuming everyone is still willing, this could fast track things considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Ford is back for sure!

...Ford gives Disney, Han Solo.

...Disney give Ford his final Indy movie.

Those are the rumoured contract agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Rumoured where, out of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

brevity wrote: »
    Yup, Harrison Ford is too old.

I think Kyle Chandler would do a great job. His performance in Super 8 had shades of Indiana Jones about him.

tumblr_lrryn12oio1qeujnw.gif

tumblr_inline_mlogyieErr1qz4rgp.gif

Oh wow, that's perfect. I'm currently on season 4 of Friday Night Lights and just the other day I was thinking I haven't seen as dependable/reassuring looking,intimidating, man's man actor since................... Harrison Ford. (or Edward James Olmos in BSG, now that it comes to mind)

Coach Taylor reminds me Indy, and he has the charm too

Chandler nails that pissed off at what's transpiring, ordinary man in an extraordinary circumstance,weary,gruff look,
    and his exasperated, scrunched face expressions are hilarious.

He's really distinctive, quiet, low key but powerful all at the same time, yet somehow manages to be the best yeller since Ed Harris. It never once feels like he's acting, I can't say that for even the very best of them

Man crush/

Don't pick a child Disney.

Pick Chandler.

tumblr_lsg8bbPMXT1r0ze3to1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Adamantium wrote: »
    tumblr_lrryn12oio1qeujnw.gif

tumblr_inline_mlogyieErr1qz4rgp.gif

Oh wow, that's perfect. I'm currently on season 4 of Friday Night Lights and just the other day I was thinking I haven't seen as dependable/reassuring looking,intimidating, man's man actor since................... Harrison Ford. (or Edward James Olmos in BSG, now that it comes to mind)

Chandler nails that pissed off at what's transpiring, ordinary man in an extraordinary circumstance,weary,gruff look,

He's really distinctive, quiet, low key but powerful all at the same time, yet somehow manages to be the best yeller since Ed Harris. It never once feels like he's acting, I can't say that for even the very best of them

Man crush/

Pick Chandler.

tumblr_lsg8bbPMXT1r0ze3to1_500.gif

Ha ha! Brilliant post.

It was Super 8 that did it for me. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Why are they letting George Lucas anywhere near this? He already has ruined two franchises (Star Wars and his involvement in Indy #4), with the former being removed from him almost entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

brevity wrote: »
    Ha ha! Brilliant post.

It was Super 8 that did it for me. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

He was excellent in it in Super 8

I especially loved him in Zero Dark Thirty when he tracked Osama Bin Laden single handedly and gave him a stern lecture about what he had done.

Coach Taylor style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why are they letting George Lucas anywhere near this?

Because he created Indiana Jones with Spielberg?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kennedy is in charge now, though, so Lucas won’t be able to hold up the show for years like he did with Crystal Skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Lucas was apparently insistent that Indy 5, should have even more CGI monkies.

I for one, will be sad to see control take anyway from him.

I kid, my actual stance, is that there are only 3 Indy films, Crystal never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They'll have to re-cast Indy, no two ways about it.

Give it to Whedon and cast Fillion!!!
    Oh the nerd-gasm

He looks well but isn't Chandler almost 50? Would he be up to the fight scenes? You need someone who can do their owns stunts convincingly. As for Fillion, good luck selling him to the studio with the way he currently looks.

I really can't think of anyone under 40 fit to lick Ford's boots. And I can't see Disney wanting to cast older than that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bradley Cooper fits the bill for me, he's got that slight ruggedness and air of confidence about him that Ford had in his Han Solo/Indy days. He's also pretty much the same age as Ford was when he made Raiders. He's proven himself as a really good actor in the last few years too.

I just hope they don't make another one. Nothing wrong with Bradly Cooper. I just don't think anyone can take over from Ford, and 4 was just so bad.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I just hope they don't make another one. Nothing wrong with Bradly Cooper. I just don't think anyone can take over from Ford, and 4 was just so bad.

It will happen i'm afraid. Personally I think they should give both this and Star Wars over to Pixar and let them make animated features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I defended - and would still defend - the fourth Indy movie but I certainly think the series should be left at that. I know I know, it's Disney and while there are gullible nostalgia-geeks like me out there with wallets there's a good chance a fifth film will be made, but if Crystal Skull did anything right, it sensibly retired the Worst Archaeologist in the World, letting him and the franchise simply end as all good things should.

Maybe it's just the fanboy coming out in me, but I find the idea of someone else wearing that iconic fedora pretty ludicrous; Harrison Ford was Indiana Jones & vice versa; something of a prototype John McClane, the beaten-down everyman hero whose success was more because of the actor playing him than anything the script managed. Ford has a reputation for dry & emotionless delivery, but as Dr. Jones he nailed that tired, weathered, sometimes laconic, cynical tone. That's lightning-in-a-bottle stuff, and you only have to see the infamous screentest with Tom Selleck to see how badly the wrong fit can be.

And the only reason they got away with it first time around was because Spielberg and co. had the freedom to cast who they wanted for their 1930s serial throwback; I couldn't see that happening with a 5th film and we'd end up with a Star (like Bradley Cooper, jeeez) rather than the Right Fit because there'd be too much riding on it for Disney to take a risk on someone admittedly more suitable like Kyle Chandler.

pixelburp wrote: »
    And the only reason they got away with it first time around was because Spielberg and co. had the freedom to cast who they wanted for their 1930s serial throwback;

They were this close to casting Tom Selleck, and then most of ye would never even have seen it (I still would, because I knew nothing about it walking into the cinema in London in 198x).

And if they recast it, it'll probably be ****e, but the original movies will still be there. Dr. Jones is now a character for the ages, like Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Zarkov and Dr. Who.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It will happen i'm afraid. Personally I think they should give both this and Star Wars over to Pixar and let them make animated features.

Totally agree, it will unfortunately definitely happen. Regarding Indy animated features, that is a great idea, and you could still have then set in the nazi/WWII era then and have Ford voice Indy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Problem with casting Indy is there are too many rubbish Indy clones (not Indy but wearing the same sort of getup hat etc). Just tune into the Syfy channel and you'll probably find a few. I saw the actor who played the Autistic blond kid in St Elsewhere doing one. And Noah Wyle from ER. And on and on.

Iconic characters need really careful casting but if they get the recasting right and it will work. My suggestion is whoever thought of hiring Mads Mikkelsen to play Anthony Hopk.....sorry, Hannibal Lecter should be hired to cast Indy. It was a stroke of genius that worked so well that it is now hard to imagine anyone but Mikkelsen as Lecter including Hopkins who seems way over the top in the role.

touts wrote: »
    And Noah Wyle from ER. /QUOTE]

Good call, Noah Wyle should be the new Indiana Jones.

Good call, Noah Wyle should be the new Indiana Jones.

After Falling Skies, I could not take him seriously ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    After Falling Skies, I could not take him seriously ever again.

Oh I stopped taking him seriously way before Falling Skies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian_(franchise)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamantium wrote: »

Man crush/

Pick Chandler.

He's also done the hero thing (albeit it as an actor with an inflated ego) in King Kong

kingkong1.jpg

Stick a fedora and dirty him up and yeah, I could totally see him as Indy, wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

Because he created Indiana Jones with Spielberg?

He created Star Wars and look what happened there!

Not a hope that any studio is going to cast Nathan Fiilion considering that he no resembles a fridge freezer. Since he started Castle he's piled on the pounds and I really can't picture him in any role as iconic as Indiana Jones.

He created Star Wars and look what happened there!

Yes, he owned that, too, until he sold it.

The question was not "Can Lucas make a film to save his life?", the question was "Why are they letting George Lucas near this?".

Answer: because he part-owns it, he is one of its creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

pixelburp wrote: »
    I defended - and would still defend - the fourth Indy movie but I certainly think the series should be left at that. I know I know, it's Disney and while there are gullible nostalgia-geeks like me out there with wallets there's a good chance a fifth film will be made, but if Crystal Skull did anything right, it sensibly retired the Worst Archaeologist in the World, letting him and the franchise simply end as all good things should.

Maybe it's just the fanboy coming out in me, but I find the idea of someone else wearing that iconic fedora pretty ludicrous; Harrison Ford was Indiana Jones & vice versa; something of a prototype John McClane, the beaten-down everyman hero whose success was more because of the actor playing him than anything the script managed. Ford has a reputation for dry & emotionless delivery, but as Dr. Jones he nailed that tired, weathered, sometimes laconic, cynical tone. That's lightning-in-a-bottle stuff, and you only have to see the infamous screentest with Tom Selleck to see how badly the wrong fit can be.

And the only reason they got away with it first time around was because Spielberg and co. had the freedom to cast who they wanted for their 1930s serial throwback; I couldn't see that happening with a 5th film and we'd end up with a Star (like Bradley Cooper, jeeez) rather than the Right Fit because there'd be too much riding on it for Disney to take a risk on someone admittedly more suitable like Kyle Chandler.

IMHO Selleck's Indy screentest was quite good, think he would have done well with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Not a hope that any studio is going to cast Nathan Fiilion considering that he no resembles a fridge freezer. Since he started Castle he's piled on the pounds and I really can't picture him in any role as iconic as Indiana Jones.

How long do you really think that it would take an actor to lose that much weight?
    Personal trainers, train 4+ times a day and a strict diet...

Advertisement