Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 23rd December 2020: €0
    Last win 18th December 2020: €100
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3150
    2011: €75 x 4 = €300
    2012: €75 x 6 = €450
    2013: €50 x 12 = €600
    2014: €50 x 9 = €450
    2015: €50 x 5 = €250
    2016: €50 x 5 = €250
    2017: €50 x 4 = €200
    2018: €50 x 2 = €100
    2019: €50 x 6 = €300
    2020: €50 x 5 = €250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You seem to be under the impression that people are putting money into Prize Bonds as an investment, rather than a place to store funds risk free. It isn't like they decided on prize bonds over bitcoin, they are not comparable.

Well you only have to scroll back up this page to see comments like.... "have a large collection of reinvested bonds going back to 2007, and the holding increased by €2,050 in the last three years. Return for 2020 approx 0.38%. Annual return for the three years approx 0.475%"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

McCrack wrote: »
    Well you only have to scroll back up this page to see comments like.... "have a large collection of reinvested bonds going back to 2007, and the holding increased by €2,050 in the last three years. Return for 2020 approx 0.38%. Annual return for the three years approx 0.475%"

You clearly are inexperienced in investments and how things like prize bonds and bitcoin are not comparable.

I assume you bought a few bitcoin a few years back and now think you are the next Warren Buffett as a result?

You clearly are inexperienced in investments and how things like prize bonds and bitcoin are not comparable.

I assume you bought a few bitcoin a few years back and now think you are the next Warren Buffett as a result?

Yes and I'm considerably more wealthy than you are

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Babbaclaus and McCrack, all your comments have already been discussed at length over the years. You are not adding anything that regular posters on this thread have not seen dozens of times before. If some people call "prize bonds" an investment, so be it.

I suggest as others have done, that you take your enlightening discussion to a dedicated investment/savings forum where your deep insights and formidable knowledge of international investment markets might be more appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

pbwinner wrote: »
    Babbaclaus and McCrack, all your comments have already been discussed at length over the years. You are not adding anything that regular posters on this thread have not seen dozens of times before. If some people call "prize bonds" an investment, so be it.

I suggest as others have done, that you take your enlightening discussion to a dedicated investment/savings forum where your deep insights and formidable knowledge of international investment markets might be more appreciated.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

McCrack wrote:

Jesus, it's Stanley from Harry Enfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Jesus, it's Stanley from Harry Enfield.
    :pac:

CandidUnnaturalCurlew-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Is it any wonder a lot of people would be happy to see the cryto thing crash and burn.

🙈🙉🙊

Is it any wonder a lot of people would be happy to see the cryto thing crash and burn.

Calm down, calm down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm calm :p

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€50k invested in Feb

50€ won a week later
    50€ won in March

Nothing else since. Bad show I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If this wasn’t tongue in cheek then... tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Calm down, calm down
    I think you are as popular as a fart in a lift in this thread at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Bitcoin is speculation, not investment. And that's fine, as I'm a goldbug. Prizebonds, are a quasi investment, in that there's a possibility of a return on the capital 'invested'. Now, there's no guarantee of a return in any potential investment, but there's zero chance with Bitcoin or Gold, of receiving a dividend, so I don't class it as an investment. It would be taxed under CGT, not income tax, as it IS a capital gain, not a yield. Therefore not investment in the strict sense.

Sorry, OT. Good luck to PB holders.

If this wasn’t tongue in cheek then... tool.

Ooh matron!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭John arse

Ooh matron!!
    hey loadsamoney,are you still on here-i think you're like the child looking for a chase.i would have got you a puzzle book for xmas if i knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

McCrack you have made a couple of points which deserve a response
    Buying Prize bonds is not an investment

Do you have a source for this gem. Investing is the act of allocating resources, usually money, with the expectation of generating an income or profit. Bonds (of which Prize Bonds are a non traditional variant) are an asset class which fit this definition and which merit consideration in any investor’s balanced portfolio. Often regarded as a “defensive investment” Bonds can offer capital protection and income certainty and are essential in ensuring portfolio diversity.
    Lol you picked the only point in bitcoins entire 10 year life where you could say that. The span of buying at that range is 4 days, out of 10 years.

I think you are accusing me of being selective in the dates I chose and on this count I am entirely guilty. Many who hold prize bonds do so as they require guaranteed return of capital on demand and they do not always have certainty around the future redemption date. Examples include people with house deposits, people with bills to pay at some future date, people who have disposed of an asset and are awaiting an opportunity to purchase another/reinvest, pensioners who need to hold 2/3 years income in liquid assets etc. In many of these cases the owner needs to be able to call on her/his capital, intact, at short notice and most certainly does not have the luxury of sitting around waiting for a market/asset to recover. So yes, I chose my dates carefully; the intended house purchaser who has diligently saved a €77k deposit would be most unfortunate if her/his dream house became available when his Bitcoin investment was valued at €13.7k.

Regular and most occasional posters to this thread have proven over the years to be open to constructive suggestions and discussions about Prize Bonds. You are of course very welcome to join us in this. Discussions about the merits of other asset classes, investment theory, philosophy and strategies etc belong elsewhere as has already been politely pointed out to you on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

My missing prize bonds arrived on Thursday. Ordered 24/11/2020, bonds issued 01/12/2020. Arrived 24/12/2020. Hopefully now I have contacted them early enough to prevent them being cancelled and replacements being issued.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Comparing 2019 wins with 2020:

Jan-July 2019: 14 x €50 wins in 7 months, 2 wins per month on average
    Jan-July 2020: 15 x €50 wins in 7 months, 2.14 wins per month on average

Very consistent, but.....

Aug-Dec 2019: 6 wins in 5 months, 1.2 wins per month on average

So not very consistent.

It will be interesting to see how the last 5 months of this year pan out.

Updating this for the full year comparison:
    Jan-Dec 2019: 20 x €50 wins in 12 months, 1.67 wins per month on average
    Jan-Dec 2020: 24 x €50 wins in 12 months, 2 wins per month on average

The first and second halves of 2020 were much more consistent:

2019 1H: 13 wins - 2019 2: 7 wins
    2020 1H: 12 wins - 2020 2: 12 wins

• Advertisement

My holding is comprised of 4no €50k batches and the remainder which is a mix of smaller batches, DD purchases and reinvested winnings and which now totals €53k. My holding remained consistent during the two year period with the exception of reinvested prizes. All prizes are €50.

I compared the performance of these (roughly) comparable batches

Batch/Holding|2019 Winnings|2020 Winnings|Total Winnings
    Batch 1 (€50k)|€150|€200|€350
    Batch 2 (€50k)|€300|€200|€500
    Batch 3 (€50k)|€200|€350|€550
    Batch 4 (€50k)|€150|€200|€350
    Remainder* (€53k)|€200|€250|€450
    Total|€1,000|€1,200|€2,200
    Net Return (annualised)|0.40%|0.48%|0.44%

The spread is quite wide, worst performing (annualised) is €150, twice and best performing is €350. This is the analysis of annual winnings:

Annual Prize total by batch |Frequency|Value
    €150|2|€300
    €200|5|€1000
    €250|1|€250
    €300|1|€300
    €350|1|€350
    Total||€2,200

So while I'm a bit ahead of the expected return of .35%, the spread is roughly in line with the expectations in dub_nerd's spreadsheet on AAM

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

No joy for me today,but another chance on Friday.
    Good luck all....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Was there a draw today?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

First win of the year for us, €50winner from the small batch

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Happy new year all!

Wins on 4th January 2021: €0
    Last win: 18th December 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 2
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 24 wins in 183 weeks (13%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-Dec): 10 x €50 = €500
    2021 (Jan-date): 0 x €50 = €0

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lizardking123

Good start to the year for me. €50 winner 4th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nothing here. Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Congratulations!
    Your saved Prize Bond numbers have won €100.00 since you last logged in.

First win since Oct 16th. From the €29.5K Bunch which won once in 2020.

Looking back I also won €50 in the first draw of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing for me. Oh well.

Happy new year all. Good to see a few winners here today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The number of €50 prizes in the January draws is 5724. This is down from 5782 in December 2020. First time there has been a reduction that I can remember. But it is up from 4998 in January 2020.

Advertisement