Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

noodler wrote: »
    It's definitely true that the main contents of the contract were in the media before it was signed (and subsequently published)

The contract was lucrative, roughly 50m per annum increases to GPs for four years so IMO would have had huge incentive to put that out to their members and media to show they were doing a good job.

There doesn't really seem to have been any negative effect from it (other than, or course, if it was technically illegal) bit doesn't help him given his recent criticism for budget leaks.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1322576881309392900

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

Yikes.

Not good Leo buddy. Might want to brush up the Europe CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Largely public is not public. There's a reason why the watermark on the front says confidential not for circulation. I'm learning more to him being gone from this now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This story isn't exactly the sexiest of stories and may get forgotten amidst such a busy news week.

Leo may survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Complete non-story as I mentioned earlier. All the usual lads fell for a bit of fake outrage again. Must be disappointing for you all to see it fizzle out. Word for the wise, men (always men), The Phoenix and The Village aren't reliable journalistic sources. A Shinner and Loony Left pamphlet respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

True - not saying the entire Contract was public.

There are two important aspects to it that were public, if memory serves, that it would pay 210m over the period and that it would add a few Chronic Disease Management services to the GP's offerings.

I don't want to belittle the small print but they really were the headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

smurgen wrote: »
    Largely public is not public. There's a reason why the watermark on the front says confidential not for circulation. I'm learning more to him being gone from this now

Confidentiality is time-specific though. Just because something has confidential/not for circulation written on it at time of writing doesn't mean it's always confidential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Interesting. I suppose when you cant back up your original point, the only go to option then is snark.

You are on a one man mission to tell everyone with an opinion that they are wrong. It's not cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why would someone in the WhatsApp group ask if they were genuine, if as Leo claims now, they were already in the public domain?

Complete non-story as I mentioned earlier. All the usual lads fell for a bit of fake outrage again. Must be disappointing for you all to see it fizzle out. Word for the wise, men (always men), The Phoenix and The Village aren't reliable journalistic sources. A Shinner and Loony Left pamphlet respectively.

Hahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You are on a one man mission to tell everyone with an opinion that they are wrong. It's not cool

You can't have an opinion on the law if you haven't even bothered to read the short Act that you are claiming is broken.

Its like having an opinion on a film you haven't seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

golfball37 wrote: »
    Why would someone in the WhatsApp group ask if they were genuine, if as Leo claims now, they were already in the public domain?

The pdf of the contract wasn't.

The amount of money it was paying and the new CDM services GP would offer under it were.

Edit: Time stamp of messages will be key but the above definitely known way before contract agreed/announced/published

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The key thing that this hinges on is was the deal done or was it still under negotiation.

If it was still under negotiation then Leo would be wrong to share it. If it was a done deal then it's a completely different thing.

You can't have an opinion on the law if you haven't even bothered to read the short Act that you are claiming is broken.

Its like having an opinion on a film you haven't seen.

We have both read the relevant legislation and have two different opinions. The law is always open to different interpretations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

giphy.gif

"Divert. Distract. Deflect."

FG Playbook 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

How can Micheal Martin look his family in the eye when he's letting Varadkar take a piss in his mouth daily.

I thought it was Trump who did that sort of thing.

Phoebas wrote: »
    The key thing that this hinges on is was the deal done or was it still under negotiation.

If it was still under negotiation then Leo would be wrong to share it. If it was a done deal then it's a completely different thing.

The document states "subject to amendments/changes" which would indicate that it wasn't finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

We have both read the relevant legislation and have two different opinions. The law is always open to different interpretations.

Your opinion that the Taoiseach is not a member of the Oireachtas is a bit mad and I don't think is open for interpretation, but that's besides the point of my post. I was responding to a poster that was claiming he had broken "Section 4 or 5" of the Act and hadnt even read it, and then got snarky about it.

The document states "subject to amendments/changes" which would indicate that it wasn't finalised.

There's also a great big watermark saying confidential not for circulation on it. Not best practices eh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Phoebas wrote: »

Not really completely different, he’s already admitted it was wrong. One is bad, the other one is worse. Either way, he did something he shouldn’t have, to what degree is yet to be uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Can you share a full list of reliable journalistic sources in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

#notanormalparty

Your opinion that the Taoiseach is not a member of the Oireachtas is a bit mad and I don't think is open for interpretation, but that's besides the point of my post. I was responding to a poster that was claiming he had broken "Section 4 or 5" of the Act and hadnt even read it, and then got snarky about it.

Can show me evidence to the contrary? My opinion is that Leo Varadkar TD = A member of the Oireachtas. Leo Varadkar Taoiseach = Not a member of the Oireachtas.

I would love to hear the opinion of someone actually qualified to answer this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Why is it that this story comes from "village idiot magazine" and its going to go something like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Fann Linn wrote: »
    #notanormalparty

LOL the irony

His excuse is hilarious.he's after digging a bigger hole and none of his explanation makes sense.

Is it the job of the Taoiseach to take it upon himself to text for an address then courier over information to someone's home to keep them informed on something he says many already knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

True, but whether or not the IMO, the DoH and the HSE had made an agreement by the date in question is a simple matter of fact. So, we don't need to rely on indications; we just need that fact known.
    Not really completely different, he’s already admitted it was wrong. One is bad, the other one is worse. Either way, he did something he shouldn’t have, to what degree is yet to be uncovered.
    One has implications for Varadkar. The other is chip wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Strong statement by An Tánaiste. I'd say there's a few very worried people in the Village magazine. They're not going to like the letters heading their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Infini wrote: »
    Why is it that this story comes from "village idiot magazine" and its going to go something like this....

Late to the party - Leo already confirmed the authenticity of the article. He only disputes whether it was illegal or not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement