Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Virgin Galactic $SPCE is grabbing my interest again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Virgin Galactic $SPCE is grabbing my interest again

Why?

Green&Red wrote: »
    Why?

I like the way its going, I got some at $15.75 and there is a cockpit announcement coming next week afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭in2dark

jams100 wrote: »
    Looking at moving into some green (renewable) energy stocks. Any particular companies people recommend me investigating?
    Currently only have shell in energy sector, looking to add to them as a long term investment

Unfortunately they r all at their all time heights :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

I like the way its going, I got some at $15.75 and there is a cockpit announcement coming next week afaik

I picked up some myself at 20.
    I look at it as the only accessible stock i can get to be part of the emerging private space enterprise. I'd prefer to have space X or Jeffs, but one must deal with the choices available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

in2dark wrote: »
    Unfortunately they r all at their all time heights :-(

I want some Solar and have my company picked. Canadian solar. I think it's doing fantastic but I want it at a lower price than current.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob24 wrote: »
    Another side effect of zero and negative interest rates which central bankers will like a lot less is that besides stocks these are therefore pushing people towards things like gold (on the safe side) and Bitcoin (on the more adventurous side). Or a mix of gold and stocks: Franco Nevada is a gold streaming company I like whose stock has done rather well this year: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/FNV/

And FNV is hitting another all times high today ... up over 50% year to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Looking at moving into some green (renewable) energy stocks. Any particular companies people recommend me investigating?
    Currently only have shell in energy sector, looking to add to them as a long term investment

have a look at $BAM
    https://www.brookfield.com/our-businesses/renewable-power
    Not at all time highs yet they even own irish wind along with alot of other stuff. large renewable energy exposure as well as Real Estate, Natural Gas, Infrastructure, Asset Management.

Maybe wait for a good dip also

$SPCE
    1. Morgan Stanley price target to $60!
    2. 500k shares bought by CEO Mike Colglaizer!
    3. Increase of interest also by celebrities!
    4. Morning bullish news with Chamath Palihapitiya
    5. Cabin reveal 07/28/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

$SPCE
    1. Morgan Stanley price target to $60!
    2. 500k shares bought by CEO Mike Colglaizer!
    3. Increase of interest also by celebrities!
    4. Morning bullish news with Chamath Palihapitiya
    5. Cabin reveal 07/28/2020

I had a buy order around the $16.50ish mark, but it just took off and never filled.

I'm now at the stage of, has it gone too high and will drop again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭in2dark

ShareShare wrote: »
    I want some Solar and have my company picked. Canadian solar. I think it's doing fantastic but I want it at a lower price than current.

I agree on the csiq together with bam. Problem is that they are very high. I guess have to buy them at this price and end of story

in2dark wrote: »
    I agree on the csiq together with bam. Problem is that they are very high. I guess have to buy them at this price and end of story

csiq looks very volatile - should easily get a lower entry on that, same with BAM (although bam is more mixed got a bit of everything), i've a 1/4 of what i want to invest in it currently - waiting for it come down.

Here's a few more from the $tan ETF to check out - that etf looking very toppy :pac:

| Ticker | Holdings |
    +
    +
    +
    | SEDG - Solaredge Technologies Inc | 9.94% |
    | ENPH - Enphase Energy Inc | 9.75% |
    | FSLR - First Solar Inc | 8.36% |
    | SSO - Scatec Solar ASA | 6.41% |
    | 968 - Xinyi Solar Holdings Ltd | 6.22% |
    | CAP - Encavis AG | 5.23% |
    | RUN - Sunrun Inc | 4.38% |
    | TERP - TerraForm Power Inc | 4.38% |
    | SLR - Solaria Energia y Medio Ambiente SA | 4.28% |
    | CSIQ - Canadian Solar Inc | 4.21% |
    | SPWR - SunPower Corp | 4.17% |
    | AY - Atlantica Sustainable Infrastructure PLC | 4.14% |
    | NEOEN - Neoen SA | 3.96% |
    | HASI - Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure Capital Inc | 3.87% |
    | 3868 - Xinyi Energy Holdings Ltd | 3.43% |
    +
    +
    +

Kamu wrote: »
    I had a buy order around the $16.50ish mark, but it just took off and never filled.

I'm now at the stage of, has it gone too high and will drop again?

Price action is currently in an ascending triangle

The probability of it breaking out higher is very good in the next day or so
    It could also break lower but I work on probabilities

If that’s the case anywhere high $25 would be a good entry point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Been cash heavy last few weeks but started to buy up some Providence lately. I'm foolishly bullish on Providence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Redfin (RDFN) is a real estate company in US. They're relatively small, have been operating in a small number of states but recently launched more widespread. They have a slick software/app that allows people buy and sell houses. In the past they were just an aggregator site (not too dissimilar to MyHome or Daft), displaying houses from the likes of estate agents.

They've now branched out. While in the past they were just the medium by where people paid to advertise, they're now getting into buying and selling houses themselves. This opens them up to a whole new income stream. They're also going further than the normal estate agents, allowing a load of the house buying/selling journey to happen through their website using things like Docusign.

This ticks a lot of boxes for me, technology disrupting an old business model, has transformed it's business model (so is right that the market cap moves), is using technology to solve problems (so less impacted by Covid-world), is expanding to new markets/states, and is a technology that could easily be rolled out elsewhere.

The pitfalls is that is's a model that could probably be replicated (is there much of a moat), and it's real estate, so not sure how much house sales will fall with the recession.

Since IPO in 2017, share price went nowhere or 3 years ($20-$30 range), then with the changes mentioned above, it started taking off this year, has gone from lows of about $10 in March to $40 today. Nice little checkdown this past week, and looks set to continue to grow. Second Quarter results next Thursday.

Good article here for further analysis and reading

I've added to it this week, nice disruptor-growth play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Redfin (RDFN) is a real estate company in US. They're relatively small, have been operating in a small number of states but recently launched more widespread. They have a slick software/app that allows people buy and sell houses. In the past they were just an aggregator site (not too dissimilar to MyHome or Daft), displaying houses from the likes of estate agents.

They've now branched out. While in the past they were just the medium by where people paid to advertise, they're now getting into buying and selling houses themselves. This opens them up to a whole new income stream. They're also going further than the normal estate agents, allowing a load of the house buying/selling journey to happen through their website using things like Docusign.

This ticks a lot of boxes for me, technology disrupting an old business model, has transformed it's business model (so is right that the market cap moves), is using technology to solve problems (so less impacted by Covid-world), is expanding to new markets/states, and is a technology that could easily be rolled out elsewhere.

The pitfalls is that is's a model that could probably be replicated (is there much of a moat), and it's real estate, so not sure how much house sales will fall with the recession.

Since IPO in 2017, share price went nowhere or 3 years ($20-$30 range), then with the changes mentioned above, it started taking off this year, has gone from lows of about $10 in March to $40 today. Nice little checkdown this past week, and looks set to continue to grow. Second Quarter results next Thursday.

Would you not wait till after Q2 to get into it, with a lower entry point, as April and May were dead months, and most of June sales will not close till July

Would you not wait till after Q2 to get into it, with a lower entry point, as April and May were dead months, and most of June sales will not close till July
    Changes in volumes in house sales aren't really part of the reason I'm getting into it, it's the expansion into other areas of the house sales process, like mortgages and solicitor aspects that I like. They're taking a process that normally requires 4/5 parties and have provided one online service that can do it all.

The volume of sales they process is still very small, less that 1% of the total value of houses. Their real growth is gonna come from getting more people to use their service (increasing market share), rather than how many houses are sold in the market (market size)

Did the whole stock market just put everything into $MIST today?

Up over 170% in one day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Far too many "I believes", "I thinks" and linear analysis....

There is no barrier to entry and the entire idea is based on winning a commodity war... on $30b of real estate cost them about $170m, so how far down is the BEP?

I'll stick with title insurance, it has done very nicely for me over the last 35 years.

Did the whole stock market just put everything into $MIST today?

Up over 170% in one day

My call from a month ago and what do you know I didn't actually go and buy any in the end :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Kilboor wrote: »
    Gem of a stock fair play. Think I'm done with it now.

$MIST - Cash laden biotech that has had a difficult year with a drug trial failing to meet its primary endpoint. Share price has taken quite the tumble but cash is always king for me and they're continuing with trialling for variations of the treatment. I'd be happy to take a gamble on it.

• Advertisement

Im out of all trades - trimmed alot back also, off on my staycation and don't feel like watching markets. be care full out there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Jim2007 wrote: »

There is no barrier to entry and the entire idea is based on winning a commodity war... on $30b of real estate cost them about $170m, so how far down is the BEP?

I'll stick with title insurance, it has done very nicely for me over the last 35 years.

Hey jim, would like to understand what analysis you do. can you give an example what are the main things you look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I'm invested in TRIG on th LSE, The Renewables Infrastructure Group and INRG iShares Global Clean Energy ETF

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

heffo500 wrote: »
    I'm invested in TRIG on th LSE, The Renewables Infrastructure Group and INRG iShares Global Clean Energy ETF

Will give them a look.
    Invested in sse today, ideally I would've liked to purchase at a cheaper price but its a long term 3-5 year investment so in the long term probably won't matter too much.

Anyone think Amazon shares are good value right now? If I didnt already have them in my portfolio I'd add them right now. There Q2 results are out on the 30th Im quite bullish on them and would expect to see a bump in their share price.
    Ibm had a significant gain in theirs when they released theres and amazon are already in the cloud segment. I also think their Amazon prime video segment will see a significant uptake considering netflix did and then obviously ecommerce should do well.
    I get that some of these things are already factored into their current share price but I'm still expecting them to top $3,200 on the 30th

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Number of times I use "I believe" or "I think"......

zero ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Orsted - Danish company

Number of times I use "I believe" or "I think"......

zero ;)

It's great when the more experienced investors give reasons for considering a stock. All input welcome, but some input more beneficial than others... hope I've not totally mangled Orwell's quote.

Seeking Alpha notifies me that today will most likely be red. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

IAG gone below £2 now. How does that strike ye hotshot share pickers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

IAG gone below £2 now. How does that strike ye hotshot share pickers?

I said it here before. It will go under 2 eur.

Advertisement