Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

pc7 wrote: »
    This is the cheapest I’ve seen masks if people are looking to buy (cheaper than lidl). Don’t know quality but might help https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/wipes-cloths/disposable-3-ply-face-masks---box-of-50/111141.html

Not available online and shop is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

Can I ask a question as someone who has adhered totally and willingly to all restrictions during lockdown and will obey the rules under all the phases of the reopening ofnl the economy again willingly.

If 90% of deaths are in the elderly,why are the under 70s in lockdown as well.?Should we not be just protecting that element in society and ensuring their safety but not restricting everyone else?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Not available online and shop is closed.

They were the other day, keep an eye for them to come back. If you put more than one in your basket they will refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭jackboy

Lemonzero wrote: »
    If 90% of deaths are in the elderly,why are the under 70s in lockdown as well.?Should we not be just protecting that element in society and ensuring their safety but not restricting everyone else?

Would we have been capable of protecting the elderly if the virus was raging unrestricted through the young population. I don’t think we would have succeeded. The strategy of just protecting the vulnerable is probably the best one but only if executed effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's no order to wear masks just advice. I've been wearing masks since the start of March.
    Best thing about that is it has helped enormously with social distancing. The idiots seem to think I must have the virus if I'm wearing a mask.

This is hilariously true. I have regularly seen people in shops with no masks well within two metres of others with no masks but once I appear with my mask on it is like the seas parting as they scurry to be 3 or even 4 metres from me. It is as though they think the mask is a sign of infection or something.

It just goes to show you how irrational people are about all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is hilariously true. I have regularly seen people in shops with no masks well within two metres of others with no masks but once I appear with my mask on it is like the seas parting as they scurry to be 3 or even 4 metres from me. It is as though they think the mask is a sign of infection or something.

Lemonzero,

Because there’s a balancing act between economic activity, number of infections, the capacity of the health service to cope ( when it gets overwhelmed then the case fatality rate increases significantly ) etc.

As of 2019 approximately 4.2 million Irish nationals are under 65. Let’s be optimistic and assume a 0.75% death rate with 70% infection rate and round that to 1 in 200 die. Well, that’s 21,000 people under 65 dying over the next few months to year.

At present we have roughly 31,000 people dying every year of whom roughly 6,000 are under 65. So, you’d push the mortality over the next year (assuming ONLY people under 65 died with COVID ) with these optimistic assumptions to 52,000 in total of whom 27,000 would be under 65 years of age.

CSO reference for mortality by age as of 2014: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-1916/1916irl/bmd/deaths/

Obviously you’d get a much larger increase than that because over 65s would die at even greater rate... but as I said let’s be optimistic.

So assume a 0.5% chance of dieing if you catch COVID and are under 65 AND assume that once you’ve caught it you have:
    A) perfect immunity ( highly unlikely ) and
    B) no long-term sequelae ( highly unlikely )
    C) a health service which doesn’t get overwhelmed ( not possible with 21,000 deaths of under 65s)

And you just need to answer the question of whether or not 21,000 additional deaths of under 65s over the next few months to a year is a price worth paying for living unrestricted lives for the next 12 months. And remember 21,000 is based on a lot of rosy assumptions.

So, you can have no restrictions so long as you’re willing to pay the price in excess mortality under 65. Individually it is a low risk option for any single person but losing that many young people in a year accompanied by the multiples of that number of dead over 65 would fracture the social cohesion of the country and greatly impact economic activity.... I think the economic impact would be even worse than what we’ll experience vs lockdown and the comparison people are making of lockdown vs business as normal is false....

But people on both sides of this debate here ( it’ll all be grand vs the world is ending ) don’t seem to be interested in what the facts and statistics actually tell us. They’re only interested in selectively abstracting those facts and figures which can be twisted to support what they’ve already decided the plan should be/outcome will be. The facts and statistics show that continuing as normal with perfect isolation of those over 65 would likely result in about 20,000 dead in the under 65 age group and a large cohort of survivors with long-term renal, cardiac and pulmonary issues.

It is a political and social decision whether that’s a price worth paying.

you have baked in a lot of assumptions too. Saying "statistics" like it carries weight is next to meaningless when the data isn't great.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

@silverharp

Yeah i decided to delete it because I realised it’d just be nit-picked to death so best not to engage at all. To be fair though my assumptions were on the optimistic side - which shows even optimistically carrying on as normal carries a large death toll to under 65s.

In any case i’ll leave you all to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I’m glad government advice has caught up with common sense. I’ve had all sorts of people either try to avoid me like the plague or get really close to wind me up.

Early on one worker in Aldi was videoing me as I was taking something from the shelf. Told them to Fock off. Guess they thought it was hilarious. Weird

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Add in a quiet clearing of the throat for full effect. :D I've had two people ask me was I sick with the pox because I was wearing a mask. That was early on though. Latterly I've noticed no particular extra attention or avoidance because of it.
    I’m glad government advice has caught up with common sense.
    They haven't really C. They got it right with the lockdown at first, but since then as usual they're behind the curve on advice and action.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Interesting take on the wide variety of symptoms caused by Covid-19, from Professor Paul Garner, who has suffered from it for 7 weeks.

'Days later, he found himself fighting a raging infection. It’s one he likens to being “abused by somebody” or clubbed over the head with a cricket bat. “The symptoms were weird as hell,” he says. They included loss of smell, heaviness, malaise, tight chest and racing heart. At one point Garner thought he was about to die. He tried to Google “fulminating myocarditis” but was too unwell to navigate the screen.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/weird-hell-professor-advent-calendar-covid-19-symptoms-paul-garner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’m glad government advice has caught up with common sense.

Advice? That is stretching it to be fair.

If you want the general populous to "come on board" during a public health crisis, you have to sell your advice, they also have to believe that you believe the advice.

Dr. Tony sounded like he was trying to talk people out of wearing masks yesterday and President Leo threw the science on them is 'sketchy' remark.

It was incompetence stacked on cowardice.

It was as bizarre as it was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

@silverharp

Yeah i decided to delete it because I realised it’d just be nit-picked to death so best not to engage at all. To be fair though my assumptions were on the optimistic side - which shows even optimistically carrying on as normal carries a large death toll to under 65s.

In any case i’ll leave you all to it

so based on what you said, the question becomes how to minimise the effects to this group. Its not random lottery style. If you had a personal risk calculator plenty of people would be in the 1/1000 or 1/2000. Also there needs to be education so that people can lower their own personal risk through lifestyle changes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Lemonzero wrote: »
    Can I ask a question as someone who has adhered totally and willingly to all restrictions during lockdown and will obey the rules under all the phases of the reopening ofnl the economy again willingly.

If everyone - yes everyone - stayed at home and did not mix with anyone outside their household, and anyone showing symptoms was tested and isolated and treated, then after two gestation periods for the virus, it would be gone and we could all return to normal.

Unfortunately, essential workers and others need to mix so not possible, but we have done well so far. Keep up the 'Stay at Home' and 'social distance' protocols, and more important - WASH YOU HANDS and cough discretely.

Getting the R0 figure as close to zero is the objective. When it is zero we have won. Unfortunately, there will always some who cannot avoid acting the maggot.

Masks should be mandatory in public - even a scarf across the face will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

US2 wrote: »
    The average age of people who die from Cvoid19 is older than the average life expectancy of irish people yet we have the healthy people locked up. Madness!

Yes they are your grannies your grandads and you dont want them to die but come on, passed there use by date literally.

You touched a nerve, but someone had to say it I guess.
    Many here should be reminded the road to heaven is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What do you think happens when we have our airports open again? British and Americans and others see we are doing well and get out of the mess that is their own country and over here for a holiday.
    How many of them will bring the virus with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This kind of article boils my blood - why would we reimpose restrictions based on queues at garden centres? What kind of incompetent leaders do we have here? Why on earth are we not looking at our European neighbours and reopening now, including schools. Empty hospital wards, low rates of infection, it's a farce. There has been no spike in cases in any of the EU countries which will be fully re-opened before we can even travel over 20km.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-garden-centres-and-hardware-stores-face-shopper-frenzy-as-taoiseach-warns-restrictions-could-be-reversed-39209867.html

And don't get me started on Dr Tony claiming we need to be 'worried' about the inflammatory condition affecting children. It's been around for years and the organisation for Kawasaki disease in the U.K. have reported less cases of it this year not more. No proven link to Covid, yet he'll use that.
    What about all the evidence pointing to the fact we've unfairly treated children during this a locked them up for months needlessly, and continue to do so, including a HIQA report this week saying they're not major transmitters - why aren't you using that evidence Dr Tony??

Or the fact they keep inflating our death numbers, using people who are dying already or who have other conditions to scaremonger and keep us all towing the line. Anyone under 55 should be out and about and back to normality, that's what the Science and figures are actually saying. Why aren't we using that?

Onesea wrote: »
    You touched a nerve, but someone had to say it I guess.
    Many here should be reminded the road to heaven is paved with good intentions.

Incorrect. The proverb is 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'. The road to heaven is paved with good works, such as abiding by restrictions an wearing a face mask :pac:

If everyone - yes everyone - stayed at home and did not mix with anyone outside their household, and anyone showing symptoms was tested and isolated and treated, then after two gestation periods for the virus, it would be gone and we could all return to normal.

Unfortunately, essential workers and others need to mix so not possible, but we have done well so far. Keep up the 'Stay at Home' and 'social distance' protocols, and more important - WASH YOU HANDS and cough discretely.

Getting the R0 figure as close to zero is the objective. When it is zero we have won. Unfortunately, there will always some who cannot avoid acting the maggot.

This is not true, we cannot get the R0 to 0, and it was never the objective to. Covid wards are closing in hospitals, the death rate is only 0.25% in Germany, 0.8% in New York, how can you justify keeping the lockdown going under these circumstances?
    Why would Dr Tony Hoolihan use unscientifically proven link to Kawasaki disease to Covid to further his agenda and why does he continue to promote lockdown? He dismissed actual real evidence related to children and Covid this week..
    Any investigative journalist worth their salt should be investigating members of NPHET to see what if any agenda's they may have. Are they working in their best interests or ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

But, but, but, our CMO said that it can't be done because of 'people with allergies'.

Mind you, I have not seen a lot of 'people with allergies' running around naked, because they are allergic to clothes.

But maybe I am leading a sheltered existence !

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Boggles wrote: »
    Advice? That is stretching it to be fair.

If you want the general populous to "come on board" during a public health crisis, you have to sell your advice, they also have to believe that you believe the advice.

Dr. Tony sounded like he was trying to talk people out of wearing masks yesterday and President Leo threw the science on them is 'sketchy' remark.

It was incompetence stacked on cowardice.

It was as bizarre as it was disappointing.

Sorry I didn't watch it. I thought that's what came out of it. I've given up with "the plan" tbh. Between the spin / bull**** and arithmetic issues I can't physically watch it any more. I've been following my own guidelines which are far stricter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

This kind of article boils my blood - why would we reimpose restrictions based on queues at garden centres? What kind of incompetent leaders do we have here? Why on earth are we not looking at our European neighbours and reopening now, including schools. Empty hospital wards, low rates of infection, it's a farce. There has been no spike in cases in any of the EU countries which will be fully re-opened before we can even travel over 20km.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fears-garden-centres-and-hardware-stores-face-shopper-frenzy-as-taoiseach-warns-restrictions-could-be-reversed-39209867.html

And don't get me started on Dr Tony claiming we need to be 'worried' about the inflammatory condition affecting children. It's been around for years and the organisation for Kawasaki disease in the U.K. have reported less cases of it this year not more. No proven link to Covid, yet he'll use that.
    What about all the evidence pointing to the fact we've unfairly treated children during this a locked them up for months needlessly, and continue to do so, including a HIQA report this week saying they're not major transmitters - why aren't you using that evidence Dr Tony??

Or the fact they keep inflating our death numbers, using people who are dying already or who have other conditions to scaremonger and keep us all towing the line. Anyone under 55 should be out and about and back to normality, that's what the Science and figures are actually saying. Why aren't we using that?
    I got Kawasaki in 1996 while its very treatable when caught early its still a condition that will affect children up until their mid twenties.
    It makes getting insurance for anything difficult when it comes to sports.
    And the costs involved for both parents and the health systems dealing with it over that timeline.
    Nothing has been held back but its prudent for them to monitor this.
    In 1996 only two children got it in the republic if that number starts rising rapidly they need to be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

eagle eye wrote: »
    What do you think happens when we have our airports open again? British and Americans and others see we are doing well and get out of the mess that is their own country and over here for a holiday.
    How many of them will bring the virus with them?

This is the huge concern. All the good work being done here can be undone with one bad decision.

Our two main tourist markets are basket cases at present!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But, but, but, our CMO said that it can't be done because of 'people with allergies'.

Mind you, I have not seen a lot of 'people with allergies' running around naked because they are allergic to clothes.

But maybe I am leading a sheltered existence !

:rolleyes:

Scarf allergies.

A silent killer.

This is not true, we cannot get the R0 to 0, and it was never the objective to. Covid wards are closing in hospitals, the death rate is only 0.25% in Germany, 0.8% in New York, how can you justify keeping the lockdown going under these circumstances?
    Why would Dr Tony Hoolihan use unscientifically proven link to Kawasaki disease to Covid to further his agenda and why does he continue to promote lockdown? He dismissed actual real evidence related to children and Covid this week..
    Any investigative journalist worth their salt should be investigating members of NPHET to see what if any agenda's they may have. Are they working in their best interests or ours?

Do you realise the gravity of a highly transmissable virus with a 'death rate' (IFR) of 0.8% ? It is more infectious than influenza, and much more deadly, not to mention we don't have a clue about the long term health effects, which judging by some early reports are not very good at all in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Benimar wrote: »
    This is the huge concern. All the good work being done here can be undone with one bad decision.

Our two main tourist markets are basket cases at present!

Good work counts for nothing anyway

Covid is going nowhere, going to explode in Winter when we can't afford to lockdown anymore

The young and healthy should be out enjoying summer and getting immune for winter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

1) European countries have not been reopened long enough for us to see any spikes in c19. Asian countries have and we have seen them, South Korea, China.

2) can you provide a link to the uk Kawasaki institute saying this please. Also what about the increases in Kawasaki in Italy, and the USA, should we ignore that also?

3)if everyone under 55 is back out and about the chance of the R value will increase and we’ll be back to square one.

How do you not see these common sense points?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Your spot on, I said it before this nanny state is crawling along at a snails pace, I'd say we will be lucky to even reach stage 2,lost my job, can't go more than 5k, wish we had a government with more balls.

ek motor wrote: »
    Do you realise the gravity of a highly transmissable virus with a 'death rate' (IFR) of 0.8% ? It is more infectious than influenza, and much more deadly, not to mention we don't have a clue about the long term health effects, which judging by some early reports are not very good at all in some cases.

They've had weeks of complete closure and have learned more about this virus as the time has passed. Some people will suffer long term complications as they would with any virus if they get a bad dose, but that has turned out to be a small minority of people. Over 99.2% of people in New York have recovered. 99.75% of German cases. At risk groups should be sheltered, why should fit and healthy people?

You've taken the New York death rate as an example, how about Germany's? Chances are we would lie somewhere in the middle of the two as we are generally less healthy than the German's but have universal health care which the citizens of the US don't have.
    Do you realise the gravity of leaving us locked up for months will have on us, our health, finances?

I saw another poster on here saying 'Ireland is doing well'. Those pesky tourists from the U.K. and U.S. might want to come here...what about the fact we're not the worst performing country in the EU at re-opening and giving our citizens their lives back. They won't want to flock here if that's the case. There are plenty of countries in the EU they will be able to visit freely with limited restrictions by mid summer.

tom1ie wrote: »
    1) European countries have not been reopened long enough for us to see any spikes in c19. Asian countries have and we have seen them, South Korea, China.

2) can you provide a link to the uk Kawasaki institute saying this please. Also what about the increases in Kawasaki in Italy, and the USA, should we ignore that also?

3)if everyone under 55 is back out and about the chance of the R value will increase and we’ll be back to square one.

How do you not see these common sense points?

South Korea = nightclub.
    China = 12 cases on the border with Russia in a population of 1 billion.
    I'll give you a hand and add some obscure island off Japan, but hey if you want to use those as evidence and not the rest of the WORLD or even the EU, go right ahead.

Denmark - schools open since Mid April, no spike in cases.
    More Project Fear here.

Link re Kawasaki disease:
    https://www.societi.org.uk/kawasaki-disease-and-covid-19/

Very strong debunking of the scaremongering now being employed by Dr Tony to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is not what I posted.

'If and when R0 gets to zero, then we have eradicated Covid' is what I said, not that it was an objective at the current time - or ever. The objective was to 'flatten the curve' to avoid over-running our hospitals. That has been achieved so far.

When the infection rate is low, we need to keep vigilant, and rapid testing and tracing will keep it low. Any suspected case should be tested and traced quickly to isolate clusters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement