Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

They had a day were they only 1,063 2 weeks ago and other days lower as well so it's very perturbed.

True, although they haven't reported more than 4,000 cases on a single day in the last 7 days, whereas before they were regularly. I am hopeful.

(with increased testing too but still relatively low, currently at 7k per million, up from 5k (I think, open to correction) about a week ago.)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads where has this 1,000 number of deaths come from ? Did the CMO say this during his briefing or is it someone else saying it ? RTÉ Ray Kennedy said there was 37 deaths today and the thread says 829.

There are extra deaths now being included which is to comply with ECDC recommendations...These deaths were "probably " attributable to Covid 19.We are one of only 4 countries doing this.Many countries have not got systems in place to do it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

So 223 deaths are being added today. Is that correct? 185 probables.

Because that bring deaths over 1,000 so far.

Yes, a probable death is now counted as a COVID-19 death for statistical reasons, the DoH has now confirmed total deaths is 1014.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    ? That's an awful thing to say.

The poster was taking the piss.

There are extra deaths now being included which is to comply with ECDC recommendations...These deaths were "probably " attributable to Covid 19.We are one of only 4 countries doing this.Many countries have not got systems in place to do it yet.

It is to comply with the WHO definition of COVID-19 deaths issued on the 16th and adopted in Europe yesterday, this is in compliance with what is known as the International Statistical Classification of Diseases known as the ICD-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,385 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jaysus Zara King - queen of dumb questions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay thanks. Shouldn't the ECDC wait until all European countries have systems in place to do this ? Probably isn't a confirmed case though. I mean did I imagine it or was there 10 cases denotified as being deaths from coronavirus during the past week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

helpful wrote: »
    Leo needs to get on the tv and make a public announcement similar to the one he did on St Patrick’s day. Let people hear him speak, tell them that if we don’t get this right this week it’s another 2-3 weeks. Fine those people who are breaking the restrictions €3,000 on the spot fine. €200 to be paid the following morning and a payment plan put in place. Cut their payments (if they’re getting the €350) and name and shame them.

He can also outline to us the full economic consequences of the lockdown so far and the full costs of extending it and an outline of the budgetary plans going forward with regards to social welfare, health etc as a result of the collapsed state income and activity.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, so the Press Releases says 1,014 deaths, which means those not lab-confirmed (ie "probables", which is possibly an inappropriate term when referring to deaths) must be 1,014-829=185

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay thanks. Shouldn't the ECDC wait until all European countries have systems in place to do this ? Probably isn't a confirmed case though. I mean did I imagine it or was there 10 cases denotified as being deaths from coronavirus during the past week ?

No, this is now a requirement under the ICD-10 classification system which is a world wide classification system adopted by all UN states, once adopted it is expected to be implemented. Other states should be given the same statistics as Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

road_high wrote: »
    He can also outline to us the full economic consequences of the lockdown so far and the full costs of extending it and an outline of the budgetary plans going forward with regards to social welfare, health etc as a result of the collapsed state income and activity.

Do you really think that would do much for morale right now?

Hard enough on people seeing these death figures, no need to kick us while already down! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fritzelly wrote: »
    Jaysus Zara King - queen of dumb questions

It was a little light hearted. It was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So... my thoughts on the near future:

1) The virus will be here to stay for some time - at least for the foreseeable. We have to wait for a treatment first, then hopefully a vaccine.

2) Govt position is that lockdowns can't continue indefinitely. That is a broadly accepted fact, even on here.

3) Therefore society will be slowly, in phases, be allowed to return to 'normal', as much as normal can be. With potential for temporary
    lockdown returns if new surges crop up.

4) While allowing society to return to 'normal', those that are considered vulnerable or those who are elderly, will have to make self
    determinations as to their interactions with society given the increased risk to them. Some will cocoon themselves away to an extent, and
    others will adopt a view that life goes on. But society will not remain in lockdown to protect the vulnerable forever. It can't. So the
    twentysomethings and even the fiftysomethings and sixtysomethings might go to the pub, and people with health issues or the elderly may
    have to make informed choices about whether they do as well. No permanent law can prevent them engaging with society, or indeed
    force them to engage with society.

5) Deaths will continue to occur of course in apparently healthy young individuals as they do now. And this will be accepted as an
    unfortunate fact of life, not unlike the fact that healthy people sometimes die from the flu and other complications normally preserved for
    the elderly or sick.

6) An element of social distancing will creep into society as a result of this virus, which will likely and hopefully be reasonably subconscious. People will wash their hands more and take better care about hygiene in general. As a result, less will fall ill even with no lockdown.

7) The pubs will re-open, possibly with some form of distancing (however difficult, but perhaps with less seating and restrictions on standing up etc), and I will go to the pub as often as I can. And get drunk.

Await crucifixion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

1) The virus will be here to stay for some time - at least for the foreseeable. We have to wait for a treatment first, then hopefully a vaccine.

2) Govt position is that lockdowns can't continue indefinitely. That is a broadly accepted fact, even on here.

3) Therefore society will be slowly, in phases, be allowed to return to 'normal', as much as normal can be. With potential for temporary

4) While allowing society to return to 'normal', those that are considered vulnerable or those who are elderly, will have to make self
    determinations as to their interactions with society given the increased risk to them. Some will cocoon themselves away to an extent, and
    others will adopt a view that life goes on. But society will not remain in lockdown to protect the vulnerable forever. It can't. So the
    twentysomethings and even the fiftysomethings and sixtysomethings might go to the pub, and people with health issues or the elderly may
    have to make informed choices about whether they do as well. No permanent law can prevent them engaging with society, or indeed
    prevent them from engaging with society.

5) Deaths will continue to occur of course in apparently healthy young individuals as they do now. And this will be accepted as an
    unfortunate fact of life, not unlike the fact that healthy people sometimes die from the flu and other complications normally preserved for
    the elderly or sick.

6) An element of social distancing will creep into society as a result of this virus, which will likely and hopefully be reasonably subconscious. People will wash their hands more and take better care about hygiene in general. As a result, less will fall ill even with no lockdown.

7) The pubs will re-open, possibly with some form of distancing (however difficult, but perhaps with less seating and restrictions on standing up etc), and I will go to the pub as often as I can. And get drunk.

Await crucifixion.

I think crucifixion would be a bit drastic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, so the Press Releases says 1,014 deaths, which means those not lab-confirmed (ie "probables", which is possibly an inappropriate term when referring to deaths) must be 1,014-829=185

Europeans looking at Worldometers will be miffed

On the French cases, you need a few days at low numbers to see trends so of course it's good the number of cases are lower today. I'm not being intentionally negative about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

spookwoman wrote: »
    Only way is hit them in the pocket

And if the dont pay, lock them up, and if the prisons are full, execute them, only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,891 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So just did some maths based on deaths per numbers tested.

USA 1.25 deaths per 100 tests.
    UK 3.18 deaths per 100 tests.
    Ireland(Rep) 0.67 deaths per 100 tests.

We are not doing too badly based on that. I had to recheck the UK more than once because I couldn't believe the figure.

Where would we like to be you ask?

New Zealand 0.0026 deaths per 100 tests.

We are doing quite well based off of those numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The sample they use is PCR - not a test. They have never isolated COVID-19, so the results cannot be correct.

My relations are a large undertaker family, and I can assure you that all death certs have COVID-19 on them, and that the death statistics we are being given are incorrect. An average of 100 people die per day in Ireland. Death rates on this time the last year are lower and hospitals are empty, as my relations are in and out of them regularly. Something doesn't add up.

What do you mean not a test? PCR is used in identifying positive samples in some and maybe all labs. That IS the test. PCR isn’t the sample, PCR is the technique used to test the sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

eagle eye wrote: »

We are not doing too badly based on that. I had to recheck the UK more than once because I couldn't believe the figure.

Yes we are. I feel sometimes Irish people don't give the country credit for things that are actually going well compared to peers.

And you can prove this?

I mean, the word "appear" is right there in the sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

owlbethere wrote: »
    300+ Community transmissions is high especially considering we still have a lot of restrictions

Community cases not community transmission.

eagle eye wrote: »

UK is a cluster eff. Ireland mortality rate hasn't changed much since 2018 even with this. UK is shocking for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,891 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes we are. I feel sometimes Irish people don't give the country credit for things that are actually going well compared to peers.
    Thanks for pointing me to where I could get test numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,381 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

UK is shocking for whatever reason.

A real mystery all right!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Look timmy I know you might grow out of it but your fetish for death is something you should tell a grown up about.

!!!!

(Missed it, pal, sorry)

pjohnson wrote: »
    A real mystery all right!

And another one...

To clarify the "probable deaths" issue which has emerged today, the ECDC yesterday adopted the WHO mortality reporting guidelines:-

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-coronavirus-disease-2019-ninth-update-23-april-2020.pdf
    WHO have recently published guidance on certification and classification of COVID-19 related deaths. ECDC
    endorses this guidance, which for surveillance purposes defines a death due to COVID-19 as a death resulting from
    a clinically compatible illness, in a probable or confirmed COVID-19 case, unless there is a clear alternative cause
    of death that cannot be related to COVID-19 disease (e.g. trauma)

The definition of a COVID-19 death was confirmed by the WHO on the 16th:-

https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/Guidelines_Cause_of_Death_COVID-19.pdf?ua=1
    2. DEFINITION FOR DEATHS DUE TO COVID-19
    A death due to COVID-19 is defined for surveillance purposes as a death resulting from a clinically compatible illness, in a probable or confirmed COVID-19 case, unless there is a clear alternative cause of death that cannot be related to COVID disease (e.g. trauma). There should be no period of complete recovery from COVID-19 between illness and death. A death due to COVID-19 may not be attributed to another disease (e.g. cancer) and should be counted independently of preexisting conditions that are suspected of triggering a severe course of COVID-19.

Probable COVID-19 is now officially listed on the International Statistical Classification of Diseases ICD-10 system:-

https://icd.who.int/browse10/2019/en

The official international diagnosis and death code for COVID-19 is U07.1 for an identified COVID-19, or U07.2 for a probable COVID-19.

Enter "U07.1" to search for the official COVID-19 disease database entries (U07.2 will not return a search).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

determinations
    as to their interactions with society given the increased risk to them. Some will cocoon themselves away to an extent, and
    prevent them from engaging with society.

the elderly or sick.

Await crucifixion.

No, the vulnerable and elderly need to be told that even if they are prepared to meet their maker , the health service wont thank them for it if they rock up to an overwhelmed hospital full of people who took the same self determination.

It is by far the most sensitive issue looking ahead, its been elayed somewhat at the minute cause we are all stuck inside. But their decision i am afraid is not all about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

joe_99 wrote: »
    Community cases not community transmission.

From today's press release
    How COVID-19 is spreading

Community transmission 47.8%

Close contact with confirmed case 49.2%

Travel Abroad 3%

*All statistics measured at midnight on Wednesday 22 April 2020.

Note:

In the event that a person tests positive for COVID-19 and hasn't been abroad or had contact with another confirmed case in Ireland, that's known as community transmission.

In the event that a person who tests positive for COVID-19 can be linked to another confirmed case in Ireland, that's known as local transmission.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/903129-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-friday-24-a/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What eejit journalist asked about Trump?

How is that relevant to a HSE briefing?

We need info about what's going on in this country and these press conferences are arguably our best resource for that info

These questions should be filtered for stupidity before each briefing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement