Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers to be paid full pay whilst schools closed - Rest of us €305 pw

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Scammell wrote: »
    Bloody whingeing teachers are to be paid whilst schools closed. The rest of us in the real world will have to do with €305 for two weeks and then take our chances where we will be unable to work due to Covid 19.

Damn unfair again. And the teachers have the gall to continuously moan and whinge!!

From..... https://www.into.ie/app/uploads/2020/03/cl0020_2020.pdf

6. School Closure

6.1 If following HSE advice, a school is closed as a result of Covid-19, the Paymaster will continue to pay the employees.

The irony :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

bren2001 wrote: »
    Universities have transitioned to online learning. This will include end of year examinations. Most universities have outlined how they will achieve this be it through alternative assessment or alternative examination procedures. I can't see the Universities pushing back exams.

The Leaving Cert on the other hand, I don't see how that goes ahead as scheduled. If it's going to be postponed, students need plenty of notice, as do Universities to plan for 2020/21.

Bit of a generalisation on the universtities. No decision made yet for most Uni's or faculties in Unis. some have done some work. NUIG have told some students that exams are pushed back until Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

zeebre12 wrote: »
    My school principal notified us that there is talk this morning of primary schools asked to stay open in July to make up for lost time.

'Talk'

Loads of talk in Ireland

nelly17 wrote: »
    As a Parent I have no problem with it

No parent ever complained about extending free babysitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I have learnt there are 2 types of people in the world ...ones that get off their arse and strive for what they want in life ..
    And ones that just bitch and moan ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If they bring kids back early like that, that's going to be an even bigger blow to the hospitality industry, right?

As is, I'd say most people are writing off the idea of getting away on a holiday or break for the first half of the summer. If schools come back early like that, you've written off the back half of the summer as well.

My wife runs a preschool where all the kids are on the ecce scheme.

They received an email today telling them that ecce payments will end after the Easter holiday.

So effectively taking away all their income and will give them no choice but to claim jobseekers. Fortunately their landlord has already waived the March rent, but they agreed to pay based on payments from the ecce scheme.

So thanks to this action, there will be two people unemployed and a parish without one of their main sources of income, which they use to run facilities for the elderly in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Treppen wrote: »
    'Talk'

Loads of talk in Ireland

Yep. Just been informed that the teachers will 'March on the Dail' if forced to work during the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If they bring kids back early like that, that's going to be an even bigger blow to the hospitality industry, right?

As is, I'd say most people are writing off the idea of getting away on a holiday or break for the first half of the summer. If schools come back early like that, you've written off the back half of the summer as well.
    I know a lot of jobs are gone, but travel and tourism really needs to be put on the back foot during and for probably a good long while after all this. People ambling around paying money to looking at stuff is a dangerous and irrelevant pastime in the scheme of what's going on.

Suddenly dumping all the kids back in school preemptively without any control of this virus doesn't sound like an awfully smart move either, even if some of their parents are still required for the workforce.

People really need to start getting their heads around settling in for the long-haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

onrail wrote: »
    Yep. Just been informed that the teachers will 'March on the Dail' if forced to work during the summer months.

I heard people who think teachers were getting the summer off were marching on the Dail. True story.

Just can't find the link....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Good attempt at a wind up! Teachers are working at the moment, just not in a school. End of story. There won't be summer work.

I heard people who think teachers were getting the summer off were marching on the Dail. True story.

Just can't find the link....

Of course the 'marching' just a saying and not to be taken literally, but a quote of "I will not be working through the summer months" was given to me by three teachers directly. Small sample size obviously, but I'd be confident it's representative.

Figerty wrote: »
    Good attempt at a wind up! Teachers are working at the moment, just not in a school. End of story. There won't be summer work.

I obviously can't speak for all, but four teachers I know, spread across primary and secondary, are currently working at a maximum of 10% their usual output.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I obviously can't speak for all, but four teachers I know, spread across primary and secondary, are currently working at a maximum of 10% their usual output.

Am I supposed to be not taking you literally here as well?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Can I get some source with that waiter please

Am I supposed to be not taking you literally here as well?

Ach I don’t want to get into into a squabble here over semantics - only distracts from the main point. Main points are:

Teachers are currently working at vastly reduced levels of output, as reported by actual teachers;

Teachers will not accept having to work over the summer months without a hell of a fight.

All while being paid full salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

What are the teachers planning on doing instead of working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Ach I don’t want to get into into a squabble here over semantics - only distracts from the main point. Main points are:

Teachers are currently working at vastly reduced levels of output, as reported by actual teachers;

Teachers will not accept having to work over the summer months without a hell of a fight.

This is not true in all cases. In my school we are sticking to our timetables and planning and having class at those times. I have heard of other schools doing the same.

Of course the 'marching' just a saying and not to be taken literally, but a quote of "I will not be working through the summer months" was given to me by three teachers directly. Small sample size obviously, but I'd be confident it's representative.

A quote which can not be taken literally!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You need to understand that different teachers have different opinions mate. You can’t generalise so greatly on such a small sample size

In no way is boards.ie representative of anything outside it’s own little world

• Advertisement

Are you a statistician or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Aegir wrote: »
    My wife runs a preschool where all the kids are on the ecce scheme.

They received an email today telling them that ecce payments will end after the Easter holiday.

So effectively taking away all their income and will give them no choice but to claim jobseekers. Fortunately their landlord has already waived the March rent, but they agreed to pay based on payments from the ecce scheme.

So thanks to this action, there will be two people unemployed and a parish without one of their main sources of income, which they use to run facilities for the elderly in the area.

Wow, it's like George Orwell's 1984, some are more equal than others!

alroley wrote: »
    This is not true in all cases. In my school we are sticking to our timetables and planning and having class at those times. I have heard of other schools doing the same.

if you are producing close to full verifiable output, you should be paid accordingly

If not, you shouldn’t

No problem whatsoever paying people where they are actually working.

Treppen wrote: »
    Are you a statistician or something?

I work with numbers and data, which does probably skew my language a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

if you are producing close to full verifiable output, you should be paid accordingly

If not, you shouldn’t

No problem whatsoever paying people where they are actually working.

Except you’d need to create positions and processes to verify the work, and create additional work for adjusting payments accordingly

To the point that there would be no savings at all

Sounds like you’re fixated on teachers and you don’t really care about anything else. Weird

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Now in fairness I haven't read all of the thread. But it's crossed my mind a couple of times the past few days that teachers should be paid their weight in gold!

I only have 2 and in fairness they're at different stages, it's not like a class of 30 doing the same thing. But even with two, I've just gained a whole new appreciation for teachers. How do they do it???

My two are grand at school work, but even at that they still have questions and looking at me giving it a quick google :o . The argument the other day over the amount of edges on a cube and it turned out I was counting faces, not edges :o I couldn't even remember how to find the area of something. My 10 year old had to explain it to me.

Even with the Irish, which I'd be good at, I've got access to the book online, but how do you bring it to life and make it interesting like a teacher would so they remember what they're doing?

The teachers are online the whole time in fairness to to them. Both being really supportive to the children. One of the girls was in a panic yesterday and one of the teachers sent the most beautiful reply to her.

Anyhow, I've had my eyes well and truly opened. I hope the two teachers involved with our kids are being fully paid, because they deserve it!

Dodge wrote: »
    Except you’d need to create positions and processes to verify the work, and create additional work for adjusting payments accordingly

To the point that there would be no savings at all

Sounds like you’re fixated on teachers and you don’t really care about anything else. Weird

Replace with Teachers with Civil Servants if you like and my opinion remains the same. What I care about are those who don’t have a bloody job to go to this morning, who will likely see their dole cut before ‘job-for-life’ civil servants feel any pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I’m a teacher. I tried to work online but have totally stopped now. I can tell you that none - yes, none - of my colleagues are working more than an hour or so a week.

My nephew and niece (primary school) were given a work sheet last week with a weeks homework. No other contact from the school since then.

I also know of many of my other teacher friends who are doing almost no work. And the general consensus is that they’ll die screaming before they’ll do a days extra work in the summer.

The teachers in this thread need to be more honest about this.

I’m a teacher. I tried to work online but have totally stopped now. I can tell you that none - yes, none - of my colleagues are working more than an hour or so a week.

My nephew and niece (primary school) were given a work sheet last week with a weeks homework. No other contact from the school since then.

I also know of many of my other teacher friends who are doing almost no work. And the general consensus is that they’ll die screaming before they’ll do a days extra work in the summer.

The teachers in this thread need to be more honest about this.

Thank you for posting. That's exactly what I'm hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I know a primary teacher and her school that are still working, it’s not the same as being in school but it’s not far off it. Still planning for the next day, is contactable through the app.
    Maybe because it’s the first week of it, it takes a bit longer but I’d say about 5 hour days on average.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement