Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers to be paid full pay whilst schools closed - Rest of us €305 pw

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why would you need a college degree to help your own children learn?? :confused:

World of difference between being in charge of 20+ of whatever age from a variety of families and your own children. Chalk & cheese.
    Not from the way my siblings are currently behaving now that they don't have babysitters and grandparents. My sister nearly disowned me because I'm a childless teacher and I wouldn't come over to take her kids at the weekend when the "help" couldn't. It's actually kind of tragic that she thinks they're someone else's problem even though she's the one turning them into sociopaths through her unavailability.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Have you changed your mind about covid19 being nonsense and a celebrity virus????

How about stop being being a dick and admit you're wrong!!!!!!

Oh yeah. I've changed my mind. The virus is mostly just a celebrity flu (I called it a celebrity flu) but the Implications of having to shut down the country to protect the vulnerable, are real. The the loss of jobs, business, earnings and hours worked are real. The social and psychological impacts of social distancing, are real. The potential I pack.on emergency services and basic supply chains, are real. The virus is still only affecting the old and people with lung conditions. So the virus is just a celebrity flu. It's not the black death that killed people regardless of age or health.

So that's my position. Now, what's your answer to the question I actually asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mulbot wrote: »
    If the hours are genuinely being put in, then fair play and they should get paid. However, I spent last Friday and yesterday with 2 teachers who are friends of mine, (from the same school,) cutting and clearing trees from land one of them owns. We will be back at it tomorrow again....

Whatever about getting paid I would have expected that people with third level degrees would know that cutting trees is illegal at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

elperello wrote: »
    Whatever about getting paid I would have expected that people with third level degrees would know that cutting trees is illegal at this time of year.

Deadwood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mulbot wrote: »
    Deadwood

OK carry on but be careful of wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

elperello wrote: »
    OK carry on but be careful of wildlife.

Ah yea, it's stuff that's being left around headlands etc from storms or previous cutting, so he's basically clearing the fields. I do t thi k it's making much of a wildlife habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm just going to add to the moan here, and more than likely repeating what's been said countless times elsewhere.

Full disclosure - I'm married to a teacher, half my family are teachers and I earn about the same as a teacher. I'm a small bit jealous and a tiny bit bitter of the conditions teachers have. Yes, I could go and retrain to be a teacher, but I know I'd be terrible at it, and someone entering the profession purely for the conditions does nobody any favours.

Anyway, the cousin, a primary school teacher, is off indefinitely, sending out 10 day plans requiring max a couple of hours work every week or so. Still getting full salary, and has now been offered the opportunity to give grinds to local children for a fee. The cousin herself is fully aware of how ridiculous the situation is, and how privileged a position she's in.

Given the economic hardship that the country is going to face, why the hell are the Govt not cutting salaries temporarily? Even a 25% reduction would go such a long way to funding those who need help right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Should the thréad title not be changed, lot of ppl getting laid off. It's 203 per week, 305 is if you still have a job but have to self isolate without sick pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Notice how the OP, a ten post wonder, has disappeared?
    Look at their posting history.
    Troll city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Its like a previous post of mine, management saying we're all in this together then keeping the inner circles of his or her middle class hero's and shafting all the real workers.

We're all in this together translates to, us management decided that the only way we can have the best outcome is to look after our own salaries and lively hood and get rid of the steerage.

We'll get a pat on the back for working so hard for keeping the company afloat, and by us saying we're all in this together means You're thick enough to believe that we care about you.

Now fck off

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Troll city.

Shouldn't deflect from genuine concern elsewhere.
    But plenty of serious replies on here that shouldn't be ignored because of the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

My son was doing homework last night, he's in first year

Came to me for a visit with a bag full of books

spurious wrote: »
    Troll city.

Hold on, are you a teacher by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

spurious wrote:
    Notice how the OP, a ten post wonder, has disappeared? Look at their posting history. Troll city.

Obviously a troll. Should close the thread and not give him any satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have zero issues with paying teachers at the moment, after attempting homeschooling my own kids yesterday if anything pay them more. The vast majority of teachers I have encountered are brilliant!

I have been slightly disappointed by my local school for their complete lack of innovation or interest in alternative methods of engaging with the children using freely available technology. The reasons provided by the principle were very weak arguments.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Obviously a troll. Should close the thread and not give him any satisfaction.

While there is an obvious degree of trolling and exaggeration going on in the OP, there are plenty on here who feel genuine frustration.

Closing down a thread would bring you down to the level of Cummings or Trump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

krissovo wrote: »
    I have zero issues with paying teachers at the moment, after attempting homeschooling my own kids yesterday if anything pay them more. The vast majority of teachers I have encountered are brilliant!

I have been slightly disappointed by my local school for their complete lack of innovation or interest in alternative methods of engaging with the children using freely available technology. The reasons provided by the principle were very weak arguments.

Me neither

Teacher bashing is pretty weak sauce and counterproductive over the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Do people think leaving cert exams and college exams will be pushed back later into the summer?

I don't think schools and colleges will reopen again on the 30th.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, while I dont think there is a compelling reason to close this thread I do think it probably has a limited life span left so if you have anything pressing you need to add to the convo, go ahead but expect it to be quietly locked in a couple of days otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

OP as if now has 14 thanks
    Look at post number 2. 335 thanks. Says it all about public opinion at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

Grueller wrote: »
    OP as if now has 14 thanks
    Look at post number 2. 335 thanks. Says it all about public opinion at the moment.

As a teacher I think now is the time to strike as public opinion is behind us:pac:

onrail wrote:
    While there is an obvious degree of trolling and exaggeration going on in the OP, there are plenty on here who feel genuine frustration.

Well then start your own thread with a sensible opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

My school principal notified us that there is talk this morning of primary schools asked to stay open in July to make up for lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

zeebre12 wrote: »
    My school principal notified us that there is talk this morning of primary schools asked to stay open in July to make up for lost time.

Why not?
    I just hope my job opens again in July or sometime.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Well then start your own thread with a sensible opening post.

Because
    • I'll likely be shouted at for duplicating an existing discussion;
    • I don't possess the skill/neck to draft a click bait-y title and intro.

onrail wrote:
    Because I'll likely be shouted at for duplicating an existing discussion; I don't possess the skill/neck to draft a click bait-y title and intro.

If it's closed than start your own one. Nobody would shout at anyone.

And that's what people calling trolling. It's not helpful for anyone and really discredits any points they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why not?
    I just hope my job opens again in July or sometime.

I'd base a decisison on what was best for this kids rathr than whether nor not teachers should get paid holidays.
    onrail wrote: »

Because
    • I'll likely be shouted at for duplicating an existing discussion;
    • I don't possess the skill/neck to draft a click bait-y title and intro.

Then why not create one without a click bait-y title? Either it's not possible or you aren't capable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭bren2001

Burty330 wrote: »
    Do people think leaving cert exams and college exams will be pushed back later into the summer?

I don't think schools and colleges will reopen again on the 30th.

Universities have transitioned to online learning. This will include end of year examinations. Most universities have outlined how they will achieve this be it through alternative assessment or alternative examination procedures. I can't see the Universities pushing back exams.

The Leaving Cert on the other hand, I don't see how that goes ahead as scheduled. If it's going to be postponed, students need plenty of notice, as do Universities to plan for 2020/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

zeebre12 wrote: »

Well are teachers to be working now or in July? Decisions need to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

As a Parent I have no problem with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement