Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If anyone is installing one, make sure you use a proper cable laying machine!

I’ve seen lads do it with a consaw - it doesn’t bury the wire far enough.

The cable laying machine only buries it a couple of inches down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Zzippy wrote: »
    The cable laying machine only buries it a couple of inches down.

I have a worx and it said not to put the boundary cable more than 5cm under paving or pathways

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Hi,

I have a bit of experience of both, the Ambrogio is very impressive, and certainly has the quality and durability - but the Husqvarna has never let me down. What size is your lawn?

My lawn is 1600 square meters, split in two by a driveway

I wouldn't worry about burying the cable, I'd say if it was pinned frequently right to the top of freshly mowed grass it would be fine. I laid a dog collar cable in this way and after a year the cable sunk below the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

rustynutz wrote: »
    My lawn is 1600 square meters, split in two by a driveway

You could go for the Husqvarna 420, but if you can, get the 430x

It has the gps, more cutting time and is a far stronger machine - it would have a better lifespan

• Advertisement

You could go for the Husqvarna 420, but if you can, get the 430x

It has the gps, more cutting time and is a far stronger machine - it would have a better lifespan

I have been looking at the 430x alright. My local husky dealer is looking for €750 for installation though, so am strongly considering buying online and installing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

strongly considering buying online and installing myself
    its a walk in the park to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Shaunoc wrote: »
    its a walk in the park to DIY

Can the cable laying machines be hired anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

?Cee?view wrote:

I laid on grass and it grew over well. Cannot answer on hire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

?Cee?view wrote: »

Should think so. Guess 40-60 a day
    Most likely available from retailers whom would be involved in installation
    For example if they are a dealer and have a hire business too if you get me.

• Advertisement

I have been looking at the 430x alright. My local husky dealer is looking for €750 for installation though, so am strongly considering buying online and installing myself

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Genemac

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see it on the thread previously. I'm looking into buying a husqvarna 430x and visited a main dealer today. He said that he had experienced issues with moisture and electronic parts of the machine and the docking station. They brought up the issue of failure and high level of wear on blade and wheel motors. These cost €180 each apparently?

Is this something that I should be worried about? I am split between a ride on mower and this robot. Main dealer recommended the ride on even though he would be getting less €€€ from me which I did appreciate.

Any advise would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭paulbok

As there are quite a number of posts on the subject here already, is there a good starting point in the thread or a guide to the different mowers and experiences from users here?
    Hoping to get an auto-mower in the next month or two and don't fancy having to read through the 120 (phone) pages.

Or should I just post up my requirements and let your collective wisdom flow?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Genemac wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see it on the thread previously. I'm looking into buying a husqvarna 430x and visited a main dealer today. He said that he had experienced issues with moisture and electronic parts of the machine and the docking station. They brought up the issue of failure and high level of wear on blade and wheel motors. These cost €180 each apparently?

Is this something that I should be worried about? I am split between a ride on mower and this robot. Main dealer recommended the ride on even though he would be getting less €€€ from me which I did appreciate.

Any advise would be great.

Had the same debate with myself when ride on needed to be replaced. Took a punt on the 430x and best move I ever made. Will be 2 years at start of the summer. No issues yet and still have 3 years on the warranty. It’s been cutting in the rain, at night and not had any particular minding other than I put an old kennel over the base for a bit of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

Anybody use these guys before?:

RoboExpert.de

They deliver to Ireland for €28 and payment is by bank transfer only

Their prices appear to be the best around.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Anything4883

Anyone have any image of their Husq charging station connected to outdoor power supply ? Or does it matter much where it is located? Obvs wouldnt want cable going across driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Anyone have any image of their Husq charging station connected to outdoor power supply ? Or does it matter much where it is located? Obvs wouldnt want cable going across driveway.

Mines plugged in in the shed and cable just tucked out the corner of the door and the base is up against the front of the shed

glog wrote: »
    Anybody use these guys before?:

RoboExpert.de

They deliver to Ireland for €28 and payment is by bank transfer only

Their prices appear to be the best around.

To answer my own question.
    I ordered off these guys last week.
    Husqvarna 430X & Large Installation kit was €2498 delivered.
    Tracked delivery took 4-5 days from day of bank transfer.
    This was a saving of €800 from local agent.

Very timely replies to emails/queries.

They also offer 3 more years guarantee on top of the Husqvarna 2 years, so 5 years in total

Very happy - now to install.

They also offer 3 more years guarantee on top of the Husqvarna 2 years, so 5 years in total

5 year guarantee is great but do they offer a local service, or do you have to ship it back to Germany?

5 year guarantee is great but do they offer a local service, or do you have to ship it back to Germany?

I suppose it all depends on the issue, hopefully time won't tell.
    This wasn't a deal maker for me and it is in addition to what the local dealer gives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Glog, are you going to do the install yourself? or will your local supplier do the install for you?

tech wrote: »
    Hi Glog, are you going to do the install yourself? or will your local supplier do the install for you?

I have to put wires across a cobblelock drive to get the most out of the mower, so I might just do it all myself. I don't think a local installer would want to be bothered with the drive.
    I was quoted €200 for someone to install (bury) as long as i crossed the drive myself.

I suppose it all depends on the issue, hopefully time won't tell.
    This wasn't a deal maker for me and it is in addition to what the local dealer gives.

I have a 430X myself. I've had to have it fixed by the dealer 3 or 4 times now - blown transformer, corroded circuit in charging station, wheel motor gone. Two of these were while under warranty, but if the dealer was in Germany rather than 20 miles away I'd have been fecked without a mower for significant periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I had a board replaced in my Automower 420 last month - it was giving errors that didn't make sense and apparently it was corroded - any suggestions as to how to avoid corrosion in the future ? dealer wasn't able to give any insight !!

I have a 430X myself. I've had to have it fixed by the dealer 3 or 4 times now - blown transformer, corroded circuit in charging station, wheel motor gone. Two of these were while under warranty, but if the dealer was in Germany rather than 20 miles away I'd have been fecked without a mower for significant periods.

I don't really get your logic.
    The Husqvarna 2 year warranty is Europe wide, any issues I go to my local dealer.
    After the 2 years, if the extended warranty from Germany is impractical or too much hassle then I go to my local dealer just like you did and pay for it.

:cool:

I don't really get your logic.
    The Husqvarna 2 year warranty is Europe wide, any issues I go to my local dealer.
    After the 2 years, if the extended warranty from Germany is impractical or too much hassle then I go to my local dealer just like you did and pay for it.

:cool:

That was my initial question - whether the local dealer would honour the warranty on an automower you bought in from Germany. Assumed from your reply the answer was no, my mistake. Apologies for confusion!

That was my initial question - whether the local dealer would honour the warranty on an automower you bought in from Germany. Assumed from your reply the answer was no, my mistake. Apologies for confusion!

I have to be honest - dealers wold either refuse to fix it, or put it on the long finger

I have to be honest - dealers wold either refuse to fix it, or put it on the long finger

Wondering why do you think they would refuse to fix it?
    If they are official Husqvarna agents then are they not obliged to?
    Are you speaking from experience?

I would have thought they will get paid for the warranty job by Husqvarna regardless where it was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Wondering why do you think they would refuse to fix it?
    If they are official Husqvarna agents then are they not obliged to?
    Are you speaking from experience?

I would have thought they will get paid for the warranty job by Husqvarna regardless where it was bought.

with stuff like this they will get a nominal fee from Husqvarna for doing a warranty repair - and independent dealers will look after customer who bought with them first and other warranty repairs will be at the bottom of a queue - it's human nature

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    with stuff like this they will get a nominal fee from Husqvarna for doing a warranty repair - and independent dealers will look after customer who bought with them first and other warranty repairs will be at the bottom of a queue - it's human nature

For an initial price differential of €800, in my opinion, that's a risk worth taking.

Advertisement