Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

EI353 (EIN35Y) MUC-DUB and FR7329 (RYR4ED) LIS-DUB gone around RWY28 due wind, switching to RWY16 once they get the rest of the departures off 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    EI353 (EIN35Y) MUC-DUB and FR7329 (RYR4ED) LIS-DUB gone around RWY28 due wind, switching to RWY16 once they get the rest of the departures off 28.

EI353 MUC-DUB gone around again, this time on RWY16.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

JCX BXC wrote: »
    EI353 MUC-DUB gone around again, this time on RWY16.
    Now on its third approach. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Down safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

RYR8VN two aborted landings in Cork, looks like it's diverting to Shannon.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR8VN/23cd175c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

EI 104 from JFK to Dublin touched down about 10 mins ago and is almost an hour early on its projected arrival time. No doubt the strong jet helped it along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI 104 from JFK to Dublin touched down about 10 mins ago and is almost an hour early on its projected arrival time. No doubt the strong jet helped it along the way

You can see here that it was airborne for 4h58min - a good deal shorter than average. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei104

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

I find that fascinating. Not hugely knowledgeable on aviation myself but would weather conditions really have caused it to save an hour off the flight time?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

I find that fascinating. Not hugely knowledgeable on aviation myself but would weather conditions really have caused it to save an hour off the flight time?

There are media reports this morning about JFK to London flights that knocked about 2 hours off their flight times. The aircraft apparently rode the jet stream associated with Storm Ciara to the tune of up to 200mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Google jet streams.....there’s a monster out there over the Atlantic at over 200kts lying in a West East direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The timetable allows for the flight duration to be a good deal longer and still have the flight arrive “on time”. The other significant variable as well as weather is congestion at JFK and this can affect the gate-to-gate time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We basically do 500 mph speed in the air, if that air is moving in the right direction at 150 mph, we shall do 650 mph over the ground, but if that air is moving against us, we shall do 350 mph.

So If the distance between two airports is 650 miles, we wil; get there in one hour, but it will take 2 hours to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

smurfjed wrote: »
    We basically do 500 mph speed in the air, if that air is moving in the right direction at 150 mph, we shall do 650 mph over the ground, but if that air is moving against us, we shall do 350 mph.

So If the distance between two airports is 750 miles, we wil; get there in one hour, but it will take 2 hours to come back.

I presume with 150mph tail wind you'll also save significant amount of fuel but that saving will be needed for the return flight against the wind so I guess it evens out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two interesting ones today.

EI3720 from Cork to Manchester was 700kmh+ on an ATR. Not seen them go that fast before. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei3720#23ce4395
    EI3721 from Manchester to Cork was about 35 minutes longer in the flight time, being stuck at a fantastically awful maximum speed of about 350kmh.... and a full hour of the flight at between about 200 and 250kmh. Thats slow. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei3721#23ce64e4

Also spare a thought for EI236 from Dublin to Gatwick today. Poor buggers couldn't land in Gatwick due to wind and have ended up in Frankfurt Hahn. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei236#23cea3e4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

LRNM wrote: »
    I presume with 150mph tail wind you'll also save significant amount of fuel but that saving will be needed for the return flight against the wind so I guess it evens out.

No, if I understand it correctly, they would fly the return leg south or north of the jet stream current so as to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

pdpmur wrote: »
    There are media reports this morning about JFK to London flights that knocked about 2 hours off their flight times. The aircraft apparently rode the jet stream associated with Storm Ciara to the tune of up to 200mph.

Just reading that there, that's really amazing. Must have been a great surprise for those on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Two interesting ones today.

EI3720 from Cork to Manchester was 700kmh+ on an ATR.
    That's fairly spanking it :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Also spare a thought for EI236 from Dublin to Gatwick today. Poor buggers couldn't land in Gatwick due to wind and have ended up in Frankfurt Hahn. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei236#23cea3e4
    Got told about that about 30 mibs ago.
    Bloody hell!! What a day.
    Their flightpath is making me dizzy. Don't think they even made an approach.
    I'm guessing CDG, AMS, BRU were full or too windy to even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tenger wrote: »

I thought pilots read weather forecasts prior to take off. This storm didn't just happen as the plane took off from Dub for Gatwick. Now I may be missing something, and perhaps the forecast was fine on take off, but reading other fora, Gatwick was practically abandoned for a few hours with many diversions happening.
    So was it a freak event or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenger wrote: »

It’s just landing back in Dublin now, wonder did they let pax off in Frankfurt or bring them back to Dublin
    Just went around in Dub �� !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    It’s just landing back in Dublin now, wonder did they let pax off in Frankfurt or bring them back to Dublin

I'm obviously an asshole. I just opened this thread to say the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

GBX wrote: »

Few other 'extreme' diversions today... Saw flights from Bogota, San Francisco and Tokyo destined for Heathrow divert to Munich. Latam Sau Paulo - Heathrow went to Barcelona.

Emirates Dubai - Manchester went to Frankfurt. United Newark-Manchester to Amsterdam.

Two SAS from Oslo and Copenhagen to Manchester returned to Oslo and Copenhagen.

Nasty day all over with EGCC reporting gusts of 75kts around 1120z today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I wonder why they went there instead of back to Dublin. Anyone know?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

At a very, very wild guess all Irish airports would have been 50/50 in not being able to land due to the winds, or at least would be slightly more risky than going to Hahn. I guess in that situation the call is made to head to a place where you're guaranteed to be able to land, and not a place where there is even a 20% chance you won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

No, if I understand it correctly, they would fly the return leg south or north of the jet stream current so as to avoid it.
    Sometimes you just cant avoid it so you are stuck with the slow slog back home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nice to see a B747 (Atlas Air) on approach into Dublin. Big white plane gliding gently in to land.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/CMB135/23d0fa47

Wonder what she is here for? Came from ROZ, Naval Station Rota, a "Spanish" military facility fully funded by the US Military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Locker10a wrote: »

They’d have to bring them back.

If nothing else you need a passport to enter Germany from Ireland - and you don’t need one for a CTA flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Western Global MD11 just flew past my place in Mallow heading into Shannon. I was able to make out the Aircraft type at 8000 foot from my window, never saw an aircraft fly past on that track before.

Pity i didn't have time to get my 200-500mm lens onto the camera

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement