Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

McDowell was never going to be asked to play for the UK given the plethora of players in front of him. McIlroy had the potential to be asked by both so clearly McDowell could declare exactly what he did without ever any fear of having to make a choice, quite unbelievable you can't see the stark difference between the situations tbh.
    McDowell was 72nd in the world in April 2016, there was 9 English, 1 Scottish and 1 Welsh player in front of him in OWGR, do you know how many were ahead of Rory? Have a guess :pac:
    So then why didnt McDowell just say he would play for Ireland?
    You are entirely missing the point. Two players with the same complicated nationalities were asked the same question about the Olympics, one of them gave a perfect answer which totally diffused the situation, the other went down the rabbit hole and made a complete 360 in his answer while briefly blaming the Zika virus along the way.
    Candid indeed.
    Perhaps he didn't feel like mentioning it at the time, you specifically said his responses were scripted, I believe they were more likely reactive.

You really can't see how the previous discussion not with you and this current discussion with you is different even though their on the same thread?
    If you can't see the difference and how vastly unrelated they are then I can't help you.
    Do you honestly believe a previous discussion on how to determine a players mental scarring is relative to a discussion about what you refer to as McIlory's lies is relevant? Do you actually believe that? Perhaps you could connect the dots outside of them being about the same person? Mind boggling stuff.

What you actually tried to do which is quite clear to anyone reading this, is that you were trying to discredit my current points with an unrelated previous discussion but again your efforts do not surprise anyone.

TL;DR
    You think McIlroy did have a sore tooth and just forgot that he had a sore tooth until an hour later?
    That when he said that he wasn't in a good place mentally as he walked off the course, what he meant was that he keeps forgetting to tell people about his sore tooth and the fact he was swinging like a barn door was unrelated?

Gotcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

GreeBo wrote: »
    So then why didnt McDowell just say he would play for Ireland?
    You are entirely missing the point. Two players with the same complicated nationalities were asked the same question about the Olympics, one of them gave a perfect answer which totally diffused the situation, the other went down the rabbit hole and made a complete 360 in his answer while briefly blaming the Zika virus along the way.
    Candid indeed.

McDowell was effectively 13th on the list for the UK so he never had a chance of making the team. Rory was 1st on the list.

McDowell likely assumed that in order to avoid insulting either contingents in the North, he would not make a decision, knowing full well that he would never have the opportunity to accept/reject the UK as he was ranked 13th.

His only decision then was; should he define his preference to make a political point while potentially inflaming the situation or does he simply accept the chance to play for Ireland as his only option therefore causing less controversy with one group than he would have by declaring a position.

The fact you think the decision for both players is the same is laughable.

McDowell knew Ireland was his only shot, Rory had to choose, McDowell didn't have to choose, it's not remotely the same. I actually can't fathom how one isn't able to grasp the conceptual difference.

Did McIlroy handle it well? No he didn't.

Did McIlroy and GMAC have the same decision? No of course not, so let's not pretend they did and make false equivalences

TL;DR
    You think McIlroy did have a sore tooth and just forgot that he had a sore tooth until an hour later?
    That when he said that he wasn't in a good place mentally as he walked off the course, what he meant was that he keeps forgetting to tell people about his sore tooth and the fact he was swinging like a barn door was unrelated?

Gotcha.

TL;DR, I'm so shocked you were dismissive of someone's point in a childish manner. I do appreciate that you effectively backed down from your ridiculous position that the discussions were somehow connected though, changing your mind, that's a sign of growth. ;)

I don't know if McIlory had a sore tooth, what I do think though is that he didn't preemptively lie or set out to deceive which is what you originally claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dav010 wrote: »
    Though by no means exhaustive, a couple of examples might be the Zika Virus excuse, feeling more British than Irish statement about who to represent, the debacle with Conor Ridge that allegedly cost him a lot, claiming the engagement breakup was “mutual and amicable” when it was done by text message days after invites were sent out.

It's a bit like when you said on here a few pages back that you were a fan of Rory :D:D:D

Rory with an interesting decision this year with plans to play Valero, the week before the Masters: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-returning-valero-texas-open-first-time-2013

Interesting as it's quite the change given the 4 week gap between the Players and Masters last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory with an interesting decision this year with plans to play Valero, the week before the Masters: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-returning-valero-texas-open-first-time-2013

Interesting as it's quite the change given the 4 week gap between the Players and Masters last year.

Well he said last year he wanted to play the week before the majors so that might just be the plan again this year

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Well he said last year he wanted to play the week before the majors so that might just be the plan again this year

The change last year was as a result of winning the Players?

I didn't think he was due to play Valero last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I think it would be much more preferable if he just said one thing and then stuck with it.

Its infuriating when he "lies" to say one thing and then says something different the next time he is asked the same question. Either refuse to comment or pick one answer and stick with it, if you change your opinion then explain why, but trying to please everyone by giving tailored answers in these days of global media just doesn't work, you get caught out and look silly.

Would the fact that he infuriates you not make you question yourself instead of him?

Personally I’ve no issue with anything he says or does or what way he changes his opinions. It doesn’t interfere with me in any way.
    I just love watching him play golf when he’s on form and I’m always rooting for him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The change last year was as a result of winning the Players?

I didn't think he was due to play Valero last year.

It is a departure, but just had a look at the features of the course used for the Valero:

"Traditional design that balances narrower tree-lined fairways with wider fairways offering multiple routes (i.e., strategic options) to the green

Intimate design with narrow corridors carved through oak trees

Only 100 feet of fall from the high point of the course to the lowest

Bunkering will reflect a natural, rugged "minimalist" with edges emulating the canopy of the native oak trees

Native grasses and plant are prevalent throughout the course

Par-72, 7,435 yard course, with forced carries on only two holes

Downhill holes play into the prevailing wind, uphill holes play downwind

Bermuda grasses were specially selected for this course to provide optimum playing conditions, diversity in color and texture and environmental sensitivity.

Putting Greens are Champions Bermuda. Fairways are Tifsport Bermuda. Roughs are Bandera Bermuda. Collars, Approaches and Tee Tops are Emerald Bermuda. Outer Corridors are Native Texas grasses."

Looks like a good place to sharpen game for Augusta which is also Bermuda, tree lined etc

I've already responded to the point regarding McDowell and McIlroy, but I'll give it one more go.
    Only golfers would care whether or not McDowell had a realistic chance to play for the UK, but everyone would care about who he declared for, just like McIlroy, so he had the same problems.
    I don't know if McIlory had a sore tooth, what I do think though is that he didn't preemptively lie or set out to deceive which is what you originally claimed.

You don't know? But he publically came out and told us all that he did?! :confused:

Your comment makes no sense, unless of course you think he might have been lying and trying to deceive us all to excuse him literally taking his ball and going home because he was playing so poorly...

Maybe you think he accidentally lied rather than preemptively lied and the delay is just down to some incompetence and/or short term memory issues?
    But to be fair I think that a bit of a stretch, even for a fully paid up member of the "Rory can do no wrong" brigade.

Look, its clear you think that he can do no wrong, even when given examples, so continuing this conversation is a waste of everyone's time.
    For the record I think he can be an excellent golfer, one of the worlds elite, but he has shown mental frailty and immaturity on several occasions and I think he would benefit from either thinking before speaking or just shutting up and saying nothing. It appears he doesn't have the ability to both say what he thinks and not stick his foot in it.
    One doesn't have to like someone to acknowledge or admire their ability; sport is full of examples of this.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Would the fact that he infuriates you not make you question yourself instead of him?

Personally I’ve no issue with anything he says or does or what way he changes his opinions. It doesn’t interfere with me in any way.
    I just love watching him play golf when he’s on form and I’m always rooting for him to be honest.

He "infuriates" me as much as Mary Lou, Trump, Boris or any other non-genuine, public figure does.
    Dont worry, its not keeping me up at night. ;)

• Advertisement

I've already responded to the point regarding McDowell and McIlroy, but I'll give it one more go.
    Only golfers would care whether or not McDowell had a realistic chance to play for the UK, but everyone would care about who he declared for, just like McIlroy, so he had the same problems.

Yes, only golfers would care if he had a chance to play but the fact he had no chance to play for the UK meant he never had to make a decision.
    He may as well have been simply ineligible to play for the UK.

Rory was a certainty to be asked by both therefore making his decision different and the handling of the situation more precarious.

Funny how you even reference GMAC given his own admission that he was sitting on the fence, wanted World Golf to make the decision for him and then when offered the chance, turned it down.

Quite the shining example of how to navigate the situation. :confused:

Again mind boggling that you can't grasp the difference between the two situations but as previously mentioned, I can't really help you if you're that blind.
    You don't know? But he publically came out and told us all that he did?! :confused:

Your comment makes no sense, unless of course you think he might have been lying and trying to deceive us all to excuse him literally taking his ball and going home because he was playing so poorly...

Maybe you think he accidentally lied rather than preemptively lied and the delay is just down to some incompetence and/or short term memory issues?
    But to be fair I think that a bit of a stretch, even for a fully paid up member of the "Rory can do no wrong" brigade.

Look, its clear you think that he can do no wrong, even when given examples, so continuing this conversation is a waste of everyone's time.
    For the record I think he can be an excellent golfer, one of the worlds elite, but he has shown mental frailty and immaturity on several occasions and I think he would benefit from either thinking before speaking or just shutting up and saying nothing. It appears he doesn't have the ability to both say what he thinks and not stick his foot in it.
    One doesn't have to like someone to acknowledge or admire their ability; sport is full of examples of this.

Again with the infantile Rory lover stuff, I'm by no means a sycophantic Rory fan but I do enjoy watching him play. I believe he responded in the moment, you believe he preemptively set out to deceive, that is fabricated and feeds the clear anti-Rory narrative you so frequently articulate.

I'm not asking you to like him, I'm simply highlighting that everything Rory seems to do, on and off(as irrelevant as that is) the course, you view through a prism of glaring negative bias.

Perhaps you remember your drivel from the Player's where you claimed it wasn't a great win because Tiger would have won it in a more convincing manner. If that's not a glaring example of the bias at play I don't know what is. Before you say it, that actually is relevant here.

Overall, quite sad that you can't view his sporting and/or personal endeavors objectively without the ugly bias surfacing on every occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Alright guys, you've had your discussions, before this gets into a tit for tat and personal - we will move along. Thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If he was honest then we'd already know all these answers and the interview would be pointless?

Sure you could apply that logic to any interview(ee) :confused:

Do you think every player should just be interviewed once and you get all you need to know from that? Journos would love that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I know it was expected, but it's official now. Back to World number one at last. Wonder how long he can stay there.

He needs a major this year.

He should avoid interviews with a'hole journalists during the majors. They seem to like putting doubts in his head.

He needs a major this year.

He should avoid interviews with a'hole journalists during the majors. They seem to like putting doubts in his head.

Unfortunately he has a habit of engaging his mouth before his brain, which is manna from heaven for journalists starved for a morsel of controversy. Needs a good public relations team to shield him from media glare, focus on consolidating number one ranking & breaking major drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Has anybody got a link to the recent Paul Kimmage interview with Rory in the Indo?

Its say its premium on their website and wants you to sign up and pay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

benny79 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a link to the recent Paul Kimmage interview with Rory in the Indo?

Its say its premium on their website and wants you to sign up and pay. :rolleyes:

You don’t have to pay just register with an email address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory in a really strong field at riviera this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Remind me wrote: »
    You don’t have to pay just register with an email address

Nah, Indo have changed now. Premium is literally Premium - €9.99 a month for a lot of articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nah, Indo have changed now. Premium is literally Premium - €9.99 a month for a lot of articles.

I'm not going searching for it now but there is a link on some Bargain Alert thread that allows you view all newspapers online whether they are behind a paywall or not. I've used it in the past once or twice. Not condoning it or anything or getting into the ethics of it but it's there. I think it's a loophole in the way papers are viewed via library membership

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nobody is ever going to break that one. :D

Edit: The ranking system has changed four times since Tiger started playing. In 2000, 2001, 2007 and 2010 (the 2010 change only fully came effective in 2012).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I know it was expected, but it's official now. Back to World number one at last. Wonder how long he can stay there.

I decided to have a look at what needs to happen for Koepka to regain the number 1 spot. If he wins, he's back to number 1. if he's 2nd, he's number 1 unless Rory wins. If he's third, Rory needs to finish tied 4th or better to stay at number 1.

Various other combinations below that. If Rory misses the cut or finishes outside the top 58, Koepka needs to finish 7th or better.

abff wrote: »
    I decided to have a look at what needs to happen for Koepka to regain the number 1 spot. If he wins, he's back to number 1. if he's 2nd, he's number 1 unless Rory wins. If he's third, Rory needs to finish tied 4th or better to stay at number 1.

Various other combinations below that. If Rory misses the cut or finishes outside the top 58, Koepka needs to finish 7th or better.

Don't forget Rahm. He can also make number 1 this week.

As the commentators mentioned, it is a bit of a scrappy round but 2 eagles in 3 holes.

That 8 iron on the 2nd of them is just fantastic to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Exactly wrote: »
    Don't forget Rahm. He can also make number 1 this week.

You're quite right! I hadn't noticed that Rahm was within touching distance. If he wins, he will go to number 1 unless Rory finishes in a two way tie for second (or better) or Koepka finishes second on his own.

If Rahm comes second on his own, he goes to number 1 if Rory finishes outside the top 32 and Koepka doesn't finish in a two way tie for third (or better).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory playing sublime from tee to green here but not converting all his chances. Greens are notoriously hard to read though.

Still only 2 back from Kuchar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Amazing shot on the 18th and hes left some out there but equally held when needed.

His iron play really has been fantastic the last 12.months

• Advertisement

So in a three-way tie for first with Adam Scott and Matt Kuchar on -10. Rahm back on -6 and Koepka on -3.

The subtle breaks on the greens at Riviera are fooling them all. Love it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement