Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When/why did SF become so pro EU ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Yes we are back to that.

Where is there 'decades of campaigning to leave the EU'. YOU haven't posted a single one.

I'd be happy with a single link to Adams stating SF support Irexit. instead I' get the usual waffle about the word 'always'. Its one way to identify someone who has no argument all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

maccored wrote: »
    I have no problem owning up to having made a mistake, and I do own up to it. I should have used a simpler sentence so some of the people on this thread could follow what I meant.

in my defence though, I didnt realise such people had such a terrible grasp on a history that occurred less than a few hundred miles away up the road. Still i do apologise for using the word 'always'. Didnt realise it would confuse that much.

Well done - it's only taken you three days to realise that the word "ALWAYS" actually means always.

But even then, you'd don't have the maturity or decency to own your mistakes - it's someone else's fault that you aren't allowed to re-write history at will to suit the latest SF propaganda.

For the fifth time, can you show me a link to back up your claim to me that "Sinn Fein have included Irexit in their election literature during the period that Gerry Adams as party leader " ?

yes or no? a simple link to Adams saying SF want Irexit will do fine.

https://irishelectionliterature.com/2010/01/27/pat-doherty-dermot-guy-caoimhghin-o-caolain-sinn-fein-1989-european-elections-connaughtulster/

Already linked in this thread (although I'm sure you're already planning where to shift the goalposts to next).

As I already said - the usual BS of ignoring anything that doesn't blindly support the party line, and demand evidence already provided just to deflect from the latest bout of idiocy :rolleyes:

Yes we are back to that.

Where is there 'decades of campaigning to leave the EU'. YOU haven't posted a single one.

Most people seem capable of read links on the thread, regardless of who actually posted them. But then I forget who I'm dealing with.

Even by your standards of deflection that is scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Francie will be nearing a tonne soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    https://irishelectionliterature.com/2010/01/27/pat-doherty-dermot-guy-caoimhghin-o-caolain-sinn-fein-1989-european-elections-connaughtulster/

Already linked in this thread (although I'm sure you're already planning where to shift the goalposts to next).

As I already said - the usual BS of ignoring anything that doesn't blindly support the party line, and demand evidence already provided just to deflect from the latest bout of idiocy :rolleyes:

:) That is the EC it is that old. And IT IS NOT CONTESTED by me anyhow.

Where is the DECADES OF CAMPAIGNING TO LEAVE THE EU that you claimed they have engaged in since joining ( 1980's, 1990' 2000's would be 'decades' after that) and the literature you said has been posted on this thread?

from 1980 ****ing nine???

catch a grip fella

from 1980 ****ing nine???

catch a grip fella

So Gerry wasn’t the leader in 1989 then? Or are we back to pretending that you asked a different question

What was that we said about goalpost shifting? :pac:

I must apologies for posting Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf earlier - even he’d have stopped digging at this stage :P

So Gerry wasn’t the leader in 1989 then? Or are we back to pretending that you asked a different question

What was that we said about goalpost shifting? :pac:

I must apologies for posting Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf earlier - even he’d have stopped digging at this stage :P

aye - for what, 2 or 3 years at that stage? within a few short years that had changed. Get back to giving out about the word 'always' - its a better debate than that one

:) That is the EC it is that old. And IT IS NOT CONTESTED by me anyhow.

Where is the DECADES OF CAMPAIGNING TO LEAVE THE EU that you claimed they have engaged in since joining ( 1980's, 1990' 2000's would be 'decades' after that) and the literature you said has been posted on this thread?

Decades - 1970s, 1980s and the early part of the 90s. Spanning three decades.

Even if you want to discount the 90s when they shifted gear midway through then it's still spanning two decades. Or are we onto another parallel worlds where words have different meanings depending on what suits the latest SF propaganda decrees?

Trying to claim that "decades" actually really means four decades, but definitely not two or three decades :D
    Have you been borrowing maccored's dictionary by any chance?

• Advertisement

Even if you want to discount the 90s when they shifted gear midway through then it's still spanning two decades. Or are we onto another parallel worlds where words have different meanings depending on what suits the latest SF propaganda decrees?

Trying to claim that "decades" actually really means four decades, but definitely not two or three decades :D

how recent is the early 90s? Oh yeah - decades ago. :rolleyes:

Still waiting your link to Adams saying SF support Irexit btw, Take your time (im sure you will)

But even then, you'd don't have the maturity or decency to own your mistakes - it's someone else's fault that you aren't allowed to re-write history at will to suit the latest SF propaganda.

grow up man. You've taken one word and spun a load of bull**** out of it - and added in insults. if you dont have an argument, hassle someone else. if you have an argument, bring it on because you have failed to do so up to now.

Still waiting your link to Adams saying SF support Irexit btw, Take your time (im sure you will)

Where did I say that Adams ever said that?
    The party campaigned for Irexit whilst under the leadership of Adams. Proven on the thread, so I guess you'd better move the deflection on to strawmanning and misquoting.

I suppose that when your first post on the thread was a blatant (and proven) lie, we shouldn't expect any less from what follows

grow up man. You've taken one word and spun a load of bull**** out of it - and added in insults. if you dont have an argument, hassle someone else. if you have an argument, bring it on because you have failed to do so up to now.

Funnily enough - I laid out exactly my view on the thread topic two days ago
    SF were completely anti-EU through the 70s and 80s, but then softened their stance through the 90s and 00s.

Whilst you started off with an attempt to rewrite history, and have doubled down on that ever since.

You cannot campaign to leave something until you actually JOIN it. And we joined in '73.

So decades after that would be up to 1984, to 1994 and to 2004 if you wish to go into 3 decades.

Can you or cannot you not show anything beyond 1989's European elections please where SF were campaigning to leave the EU?

You cannot campaign to leave something until you actually JOIN it. And we joined in '73.

So decades after that would be up to 1984, to 1994 and to 2004 if you wish to go into 3 decades.

Can you or cannot you not show anything beyond 1989's European elections please where SF were campaigning to leave the EU?

They campaigned actively in the 70s, 80s and early 90s - spanning three decades.

If I'd claimed "for over 20 years" you might have a point - but instead you appear to be, once again, strawmanning.

(Must get my hands on one of these Parnell Sq dictionaries, where words get redefined to suits whatever story SF want to push :D)

Where did I say that Adams ever said that?
    The party campaigned for Irexit whilst under the leadership of Adams. Proven on the thread, so I guess you'd better move the deflection on to strawmanning and misquoting.

I suppose that when your first post on the thread was a blatant (and proven) lie, we shouldn't expect any less from what follows

"Sinn Fein have included Irexit in their election literature during the period that Gerry Adams as party leader"

You havent provided anything about SF, adams and Irexit. Too busy waffling on about 'always' probably.

"Sinn Fein have included Irexit in their election literature during the period that Gerry Adams as party leader"

You havent provided anything about SF, adams and Irexit. Too busy waffling on about 'always' probably.

It's been linked, and you replied to it.

SF included Irexit (a negotiated withdrawal from the EC) in election literature whilst Gerry was leader.

It's beyond pathetic that you yet again resort to lies - shows anyone reading the thread exactly what you are.

They campaigned actively in the 70s, 80s and early 90s - spanning three decades.

If I'd claimed "for over 20 years" you might have a point - but instead you appear to be, once again, strawmanning.

(Must get my hands on one of these Parnell Sq dictionaries, where words get redefined to suits whatever story SF want to push :D)

Where in the 90's did they 'campaign actively'?

I want to see what you are drawing this inference from? Because I cannot find evidence of it anywhere, and it is my contention that they have been evolving position on the EU since at least 1990.

Here is a document I found from 1991 which is a fairly extensive position paper on SF's beliefs and there is no mention of leaving the EU, actively or otherwise.

http://www.sinnfein.org/documents/freedom.html

• Advertisement

It's been linked, and you replied to it.

SF included Irexit (a negotiated withdrawal from the EC) in election literature whilst Gerry was leader.

It's beyond pathetic that you yet again resort to lies - shows anyone reading the thread exactly what you are.

Irexit was around in 1989?? I like your Trump-est way of debating btw. one of is being pathetic alright, and it aint me. I think you should have used the phrase 'a negotiated withdrawal from the EC' not Irexit, as Irexit didnt appear in the lexicon until Brexit did. and that wasnt in 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The problem for SF cult members is they can't grasp that everyone else isn't drinking the kool aid.

It doesn't matter to us that Big Brother has decided to re-write their history to being staunch supporters of the EU. The actual facts speak for themselves.

Irexit was around in 1989?? I like your Trump-est way of debating btw. one of is being pathetic alright, and it aint me. I think you should have used the phrase 'a negotiated withdrawal from the EC' not Irexit, as Irexit didnt appear in the lexicon until Brexit did. and that wasnt in 1989

I thought the barrel was being scraped earlier - but I guess I should know that the SF acolytes will always find a new low.

If you are now resorting to claiming that, because they didn't use the exact word "Irexit", they weren't really campaigning to leave the union then you've managed to sink even lower than you were previously. Quite the achievement.

Still a bit to go to reach some of Francie's greatest lows - but a good effort all the same

I thought the barrel was being scraped earlier - but I guess I should know that the SF acolytes will always find a new low.

If you are now resorting to claiming that, because they didn't use the exact word "Irexit", they weren't really campaigning to leave the union then you've managed to sink even lower than you were previously. Quite the achievement.

Still a bit to go to reach some of Francie's greatest lows - but a good effort all the same

hey - bit like whinging about the word 'always' ...no?

The problem for SF cult members is they can't grasp that everyone else isn't drinking the kool aid.

It doesn't matter to us that Big Brother has decided to re-write their history to being staunch supporters of the EU. The actual facts speak for themselves.

they werent supporters 20 years ago? Or did you miss that with those blinkers on?

What about saying and proving with links (You know those things that back up what you are saying) that 'SF's position on the EU has evolved from initially opposing it to being one of support for membership' is saying their history is one of 'staunch supporters'?

You don't have to stoop to lying about what is being said. It does you no favours.

hey - bit like whinging about the word 'always' ...no?

I’m sure you can explain how Irexit means something different to leaving the EU then?

Whereas you seem to think that “always” actually means “sometimes”

Keep drinking the cool aid - you might break Francies record yet :pac:

I’m sure you can explain how Irexit means something different to leaving the EU then?

Whereas you seem to think that “always” actually means “sometimes”

When you say Irexit, people think after 2016 - which no doubt what you were aiming at. Now it seems you cannot back up your irexit claim. quelle surprise

your weak attempts at bullying don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The irony of pedantry.

While it seems that "Irexit" cannot be taken as shorthand meaning of "a negotiated withdrawal from the EC", "always been pro-EU" can be taken as a shorthand meaning for the same.

SF have always been pro-EU

Advertisement