Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I can definitely see it happening.
    In January they blocked a few Fire TV's from sideloading any apps 'by mistake' and fixed it next update.
    They have paid for the TV rights for football matches. If enough people aren't signing up to Prime, and they can see the amount of users from the logs using free movie apps and/or TV apps they will block them. They have partnered with BT sports, so at the very least, they are monitoring the illegal streams.
    FACT are also working with them. Last month FACT with them helped point the way to illegal providers so that they could get served with cease-and-desist letters.
    Amazon's first owned matches aren't until December, so could be interesting then.
    They will surely see how badly they are being affected, and decide how they might tackle it going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭Invincible

https://troypoint.com/stop-amazon-from-spying-on-you/

Solution for anyone concerned about amz monitoring...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I see lots of mentions of Kodi in this thread. are we allowed to discuss apps on Kodi? what people use and for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

skinny90 wrote: »
    I see lots of mentions of Kodi in this thread. are we allowed to discuss apps on Kodi? what people use and for what?

Not if they're doing illegal things. Kodi is just a media player has plenty of legitimate uses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have about 10 of these boxes running, new and old. Not a single one has had any issues.

What boxes are you referring to exactly - NOW TV boxes or Amazon devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,991 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shield without the controller down to £159 on amazon, before I jump on it am I better off buying the version with the controller for an extra £20? I don't think I'd play any games on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Not if they're doing illegal things. Kodi is just a media player has plenty of legitimate uses

What kind of Apps are illegal, would that be streaming tv shows/movies

rob316 wrote: »
    Shield without the controller down to £159 on amazon, before I jump on it am I better off buying the version with the controller for an extra £20? I don't think I'd play any games on it anyway.

You can easily sell it on here. I paid €40 Inc shipping for one last week. Those who use the Shield for gaming will take it off your hands. The controller is nearly £80 sterling new on Amazon at present

NVIDIA SHIELD Controller https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N7DQ0L6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sxlEDb4W4J3QV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The game controller is also handy for the headphone jack. I'd be lost without it when watching movies at nighttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Use your head. As the old saying goes....."if in doubt, leave it out", ok? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There really is no grey area on this.

Example:

The CW have a website, that allows people to stream recent episodes (The Flash, Arrow and such).

** If there's a plugin to allow you to stream from their site, without needing to do anything other than present it to you from there. That's fine.

** If there's a plugin, that is streaming that video from a range of file hosting sites, that is not fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

What's the best bang for buck box out there at the moment, not interested in the shield too expensive.

Was looking at the Mi box 3, but that needs a USB to Ethernet adapter.

glic83 wrote: »
    What's the best bang for buck box out there at the moment, not interested in the shield too expensive.

Was looking at the Mi box 3, but that needs a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Mecool KM9 Pro
    Make sure to get the Google Certified version.
    2GB/16GB version is around €33
    4GB/32GB version is around €63
    Here is a decent seller but they are available in the normal stores. The 2GB/16GB is getting harder to get.
    There is also a 4GB/128GB version around €83 but that's a bit overkill imo.

Edited:
    It has 4K youtube etc. But only SD Netflix. It has Widevine L1. So if Netflix HD is priority, then the Mi Box S is probably a better option.

Suckit wrote: »
    Mecool KM9 Pro
    Make sure to get the Google Certified version.
    2GB/16GB version is around €33
    4GB/32GB version is around €63
    Here is a decent seller but they are available in the normal stores. The 2GB/16GB is getting harder to get.
    There is also a 4GB/128GB version around €83 but that's a bit overkill imo.

Edited:
    It has 4K youtube etc. But only SD Netflix. It has Widevine L1. So if Netflix HD is priority, then the Mi Box S is probably a better option.

I'm looking to buy in Europe so that I'm not waiting a month, was looking at either of these from geekbuying shipped from Europe

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/MX10-Android-7-1-2-RK3328-4GB-32GB-TV-Box-388684.html

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-416575.html

I believe the 2nd one is the one you linked to @Suckit?

I ordered the km9 pro about 65 each delivered with DHL Italy

My shield just came, took about a month from Amazon. Excited to set it up and see how good it really is.

I'm looking to buy in Europe so that I'm not waiting a month, was looking at either of these from geekbuying shipped from Europe

https://m.geekbuying.com/item/MX10-Android-7-1-2-RK3328-4GB-32GB-TV-Box-388684.html

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM9-Pro-Amlogic-S905X2-Android-TV-9-0-4GB-32B-TV-Box-416575.html

I believe the 2nd one is the one you linked to @Suckit?
    Yep, that's it.
    That's also the link I would have posted only I was too lazy last night.
    I knew the ebay link was in my history.
    The 2GB/16GB version is good too, but should get more mileage from the other before you might start to notice any slowing down, in theory at least.
    The ebay link is fast delivery too, but not sure it would be as fast. Plenty of sellers selling on aliexpress from Spain, France too, but pay more.

Yep, that's it.
    The 2GB/16GB version is good too, but should get more mileage from the other before you might start to notice any slowing down, in theory at least.
    The ebay link is fast delivery too, but not sure it would be as fast. Plenty of sellers selling on aliexpress from Spain, France too, but pay more.

Ordered this morning with geek buying, have the dhl tracking number since before lunch so hopefully Friday at the latest

Before I forget.
    If you stick a wireless mouse or USB fly remote or anything like that in to it, the Virtual keyboard won't pop up by default.
    You need to remove that, and go to settings -> system -> languages and tick 'show virtual keyboard'.
    Should be good then. Ignore that if not planning on adding any extra input controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭Invincible

Yep, that's it.

Ordered this morning with geek buying, have the dhl tracking number since before lunch so hopefully Friday at the latest

Probably get stung for ¢u$toms using DHL, going on previous poster's experience.

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Probably get stung for ¢u$toms using DHL, going on previous poster's experience.

If ordering from China maybe, but bought in the EU (prices from European warehouse are always more expensive than China) It's being sent from Italy and sound be here tomorrow evening according to the tracking

Well the Shield is absolutely brilliant, my minix was decent but this is a whole other level. So responsive and quick. Eats up 4k video, my only really con is the remote I don't like the gimmicky swipe volume control or double tap pause/play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Well the Shield is absolutely brilliant, my minix was decent but this is a whole other level. So responsive and quick. Eats up 4k video, my only really con is the remote I don't like the gimmicky swipe volume control or double tap pause/play.
    Nor me, I use the Fire Stick remote instead and its great esp. since I can control the TV with it too. Another alternative is this which doesn't require BT so it's that little bit more responsive but just lacks the play / pause button. I've used these many times.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBH2F7T/

Get yourself a Logitech harmony remote with a hub and add all your devices to one remote. You can even hide your devices away in a cabinet or out of sight behind the TV as the harmony uses WiFi and Bluetooth. It's one of the best investments I've ever made, I even bought a second for the kitchen. I got mine in Amazon sales, the price drops every so often if you track it with Keepa.

Logitech 915-000257 HARMONY ELITE REMOTE CONTROL HUB & APP JPL EXCLUSIVE - (> REMOTE CONTROL DEV.) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D3HKDbYSCTCY9

Get yourself a Logitech harmony remote with a hub and add all your devices to one remote. You can even hide your devices away in a cabinet or out of sight behind the TV as the harmony uses WiFi and Bluetooth. It's one of the best investments I've ever made, I even bought a second for the kitchen. I got mine in Amazon sales, the price drops every so often if you track it with Keepa.

Logitech 915-000257 HARMONY ELITE REMOTE CONTROL HUB & APP JPL EXCLUSIVE - (> REMOTE CONTROL DEV.) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D3HKDbYSCTCY9

Definitely on the my list of things to buy. I've just bought a new TV, reclining leather chair, shield and soundbar, it will have to wait for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Bought one last month for my LG TV, Tiviar and Firestick 4k, mainly based on your recommendation's.
    Very happy with it so far. So good to be down to one remote

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Hi trying to download kodi from google play store but its gone, is there anything like kodi that i can use instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi trying to download kodi from google play store but its gone, is there anything like kodi that i can use instead.

Gave up on it long go, thought it was never available via play store. Sounds like a lot of ip servers are back up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

what can you use instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what can you use instead.

Can't be spoken about here, as it will lead to the end of humanity, and I ll be fcuked if I'm taking the hit for that one

Advertisement