Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Would a neighbour have installed something new which could be affecting your signal? Have they had a kid, them baby monitors can be a b!tch. Or wireless cameras?

You could try and install a wifi analyzer and scan your network. It might tell you to change the channel on your router/modem to a less congested one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

branners69 wrote: »
    Would a neighbour have installed something new which could be affecting your signal? Have they had a kid, them baby monitors can be a b!tch. Or wireless cameras?

You could try and install a wifi analyzer and scan your network. It might tell you to change the channel on your router/modem to a less congested one!

There is a baby next door but she's 2 months old now. Something coming from there did cross my mind but it's been happening when their cars are gone and the house is empty. I'll ask them tomorrow just in case. Cheers.

.red. wrote: »
    There is a baby next door but she's 2 months old now. Something coming from there did cross my mind but it's been happening when their cars are gone and the house is empty. I'll ask them tomorrow just in case. Cheers.

If it happens when they are there then it could be wireless cameras, wifi plugs (not home plugs) or a new dect phone base station on the other side of your wall. Best try a few channels to see if you can get rid of the interference!

2.4ghz is a b!tch for interence, 5ghz not so much. Have you tried connecting using 5ghz? Just need to be close to the router as signal can get weaker the further away your device is.

If it happens when they are there then it could be wireless cameras, wifi plugs (not home plugs) or a new dect phone base station on the other side of your wall. Best try a few channels to see if you can get rid of the interference!

2.4ghz is a b!tch for interence, 5ghz not so much. Have you tried connecting using 5ghz? Just need to be close to the router as signal can get weaker the further away your device is.

All that is double Dutch to me. I'm not the most tech savvy of people. I do know it's 2.4 I'm using tho as that's on the name of the WiFi.
    I'll call in next door tomorrow and see if they've anything new plugged in. I'll Google how to change WiFi channels then and see if I can figure it out.
    Thanks.

All that is double Dutch to me. I'm not the most tech savvy of people. I do know it's 2.4 I'm using tho as that's on the name of the WiFi.

What router/modem make and model are you using? I might be able to search it and let you know if it can handle 5ghz.

• Advertisement

What router/modem make and model are you using? I might be able to search it and let you know if it can handle 5ghz.

It's an Eir F2000.
    It says on the back that it does 2.4G and 5G.

The boxes are about 10 and 20 feet away from it, both thru a wooden door with glass panels(if that makes a difference)

After googling the modem it says it the 2.4G can be better but can indeed see interference. Will the modem work if some devices are set to 2.4G and some to 5G?

It's an Eir F2000.
    It says on the back that it does 2.4G and 5G.

The boxes are about 10 and 20 feet away from it, both thru a wooden door with glass panels(if that makes a difference)

After googling the modem it says it the 2.4G can be better but can indeed see interference. Will the modem work if some devices are set to 2.4G and some to 5G?

The modem should be sending out both signals. Only newer devices will see the 5ghz option and be able to connect.

So when your Minix scans for wifi networks does it find the 5ghz option of your router? If not you may need to turn it on.

You can connect to your router by typing 192.168.1.254. Username is admin and password should be your wifi password. I dont know this router but normally there is a Wifi setup option and you turn on the 5ghz option in there!

The modem should be sending out both signals. Only newer devices will see the 5ghz option and be able to connect.

So when your Minix scans for wifi networks does it find the 5ghz option of your router? If not you may need to turn it on.

You can connect to your router by typing 192.168.1.254. Username is admin and password should be your wifi password. I dont know this router but normally there is a Wifi setup option and you turn on the 5ghz option in there!

I'll have a proper look in the morning. Thanks for the help.

I'll have a proper look in the morning. Thanks for the help.

No worries, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

Anyone got the newe Mi Box S , have original Mi box, gone a bit slow, most likley needs a good factory reset to get it back clean etc. But thinking of pumping for newer S version or is it a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

BobMc wrote: »
    Anyone got the newe Mi Box S , have original Mi box, gone a bit slow, most likley needs a good factory reset to get it back clean etc. But thinking of pumping for newer S version or is it a waste

Well, SoC is the same (Amlogic S905X quad-core) so it certainly won't be faster. Maybe go for that Reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

Was due a reset soon, bit full of bloat ware. I'll give her a wipe saturday, start from scratch, remote is acting up a bit too from heavy use, sticking buttons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hi all

Ive never had an android box before and only used to using Chromecast to stream to tv. I'm looking to get decent android box for iptv streaming.

What would suit best? I'd prefer to go with a box that doesn't need update or can update automatically and one that doesn't freeze much.

What box would suit best and be reliable for the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all

Ive never had an android box before and only used to using Chromecast to stream to tv. I'm looking to get decent android box for iptv streaming.

What would suit best? I'd prefer to go with a box that doesn't need update or can update automatically and one that doesn't freeze much.

What box would suit best and be reliable for the above?
    In order of price - Mi Box 3S, Formuler or Nvidia Shield.
    All the Formuler boxes are decent, the Z7+ is the most popular, but the newest model is the Z8.

Suckit wrote: »
    In order of price - Mi Box 3S, Formuler or Nvidia Shield.
    All the Formuler boxes are decent, the Z7+ is the most popular, but the newest model is the Z8.

I had a look at formulas Z7+ box after reading some positive feedback but seems to be that they are only 8gb in memory which doesn't seem much considering most seem priced over €100.

I'm open to correction on the above. I'll check out the Z8, thanks.

I had a look at formulas Z7+ box after reading some positive feedback but seems to be that they are only 8gb in memory which doesn't seem much considering most seem priced over €100.

I'm open to correction on the above. I'll check out the Z8, thanks.
    Yeah, the Z7+ and the Mi box have 8GB.

The Z8 has 16GB and is about €20 more than the Z7+.
    The Shield has 16GB and is more geared toward the gamer roughly €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

If you are only buying the box for streaming the storage doesn't come into play. I have a Z7+ for a year now and it's the best box for IPTV you can get. The Z8 is only new and from what I have read is still quite bug ridden so would give that a swerve for a couple of months. If you want to game too, spend the extra on a shield

NATLOR wrote: »
    If you are only buying the box for streaming the storage doesn't come into play. I have a Z7+ for a year now and it's the best box for IPTV you can get. The Z8 is only new and from what I have read is still quite bug ridden so would give that a swerve for a couple of months. If you want to game too, spend the extra on a shield

Given the price difference between other Android box ive seen at much higher storage, what does the Z7+ have that warrants the higher priced?

If i bought a one of the cheaper models ive seen would it possibly freeze less than z7+?

Just wondering as given it has a higher price despite quite low memory, what makes it better as i my understanding was iptv would work with any android box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can you update a Andriod box? have a MX111 4k, Andriod 4.4.2, could it be updated to 5.0 or higher?
    just used it for streaming or easier to buy a new one?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-Android-7-1-2GB-16GB-4K-WIFI-OTA-Smart-TV-Box-ATV-Support-Voice/223324553262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Given the price difference between other Android box ive seen at much higher storage, what does the Z7+ have that warrants the higher priced?

If i bought a one of the cheaper models ive seen would it possibly freeze less than z7+?

Just wondering as given it has a higher price despite quite low memory, what makes it better as i my understanding was iptv would work with any android box.

On the face of it the box is bang average and not worth the money.
    If you are looking to run a lot of apps and or game regularly then I wouldn't recommend it.
    Where this box excels is for IPTV use. Formuler developed their own IPTV app (mytvonline) which IMO elevates the box to the best out there for IPTV

Obviously there are plenty of generic apps available for any android box like perfect player,stbemu,smarters tivimate etc Ive tried them all but MTVOL blows them all away making the Z7,Z8 a no brainer for IPTV.

In over a years use the box has never frozen on me, I have at least 10 apps loaded run a Plex server and is my only TV source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Z7+ is fantastic for IPTV and has Natlor says it's their IPTV app that lifts it above the rest.
    I use Nvidia Shield for all my TV, streaming etc. but for pure IPTv box I dont see how you can go wrong with a Formuler.
    Can be bought from a place in Wexford so very quick delivery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

yabadabado wrote: »
    The Z7+ is fantastic for IPTV and has Natlor says it's their IPTV app that lifts it above the rest.
    I use Nvidia Shield for all my TV, streaming etc. but for pure IPTv box I dont see how you can go wrong with a Formuler.
    Can be bought from a place in Wexford so very quick delivery.

the longest delivery i had to wait for an android was from a place 25 minutes away from me - over a month

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Can you update a Andriod box? have a MX111 4k, Andriod 4.4.2, could it be updated to 5.0 or higher?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MECOOL-M8S-PRO-W-Android-7-1-2GB-16GB-4K-WIFI-OTA-Smart-TV-Box-ATV-Support-Voice/223324553262

even 5 will be way out of date - might be better getting a newer faster box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nowso wrote: »
    the longest delivery i had to wait for an android was from a place 25 minutes away from me - over a month

I'd guess that isnt the norm.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd guess that isnt the norm.

depends how the company works , if they have stock etc

got my m8s pro l after a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

There are kodi forks that you can install that are modified to work on pre 5 boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Invincible wrote: »
    There are kodi forks that you can install that are modified to work on pre 5 boxes.

I am using MyGica at moment for kodi but cant get any streams with certain app, on my pc have kodi 17.6 have no trouble with this app.

I am using MyGica at moment for kodi but cant get any streams with certain app, on my pc have kodi 17.6 have no trouble with this app.

You could install something like libreELEC.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    A decent box can be bought for €35 now, so may be the better choice. I have Z8, it is good and not noticed any bugs yet, but have had bugs on the Z7+. I have had to factory reset a few of them and reinstall firmware with USB key, so they are not without flaw.
    Read/write count comes into effect on 8GB storage, but should be more than enough for a few years.
    Z8 has MyTVOnline2, which is good, and fixes issues with some channels. But it may not warrant the price difference for some (as it goes up to almost €130).
    Infomir currently taking Formuler to court across Europe (they won their case in Germany), so they may become harder to get. That may help the price or may take them higher, although I doubt that.
    I have a Z7+, Z8, TX3 mini and a Shield.
    Selling the Shield, overkill and I don't use it.
    The TX3 mini in back room gets a lot of use, I'd say a year now and still going strong.
    The Z7+ a year and a bit, still going strong.
    Z8 is in bedroom but may move it (and TV) out of there.

MyTVOnline is excellent as it can embed some of the other projects in it, where other boxes require a seperate app to be installed etc.
    I still haven't been able to install two more popular ones on MOL2.

My 2 cents, TX3 does everything. Z7+ does everything a little better. Z8 can handle audio issues on some channels etc.
    Not sure if the Z8 is worth paying €100 more than the TX3 to do essentially the same thing (albeit a little better).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

What's the difference between Formuler 7+ and Formuler S mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

What's the difference between Formuler 7+ and Formuler S mini.

Can you not access their website to see for yourself?? HERE

A quick glance says one's an Android box and the other is a hybrid sat/android box.

Advertisement